Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

just rang vodafone as i was set on 50mb but they confirmed they can't change it to 70mb or that they "didn't see that option on the screen" to change it :pac:

anyway, i'm happy with my 50mb connection so far... got some powerline adapters so that's increased speed by 4-5mb compared to wireless and now getting 47mb at ~300m from cabinet

2961694518.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

can not get fiber untill the 2nd of Oct and gta online goes live o nthe 1st.will have to stick with my ****y sky bb connection untill the.
    i have 4 months left in the contract and there looking for 120euro for breaking the contract the shower of f1uckers,een though iam only paying 10 a month for it.i will break it tho even if iahve to pay that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

naughto wrote: »
    can not get fiber untill the 2nd of Oct and gta online goes live o nthe 1st.will have to stick with my ****y sky bb connection untill the.
    i have 4 months left in the contract and there looking for 120euro for breaking the contract the shower of f1uckers,een though iam only paying 10 a month for it.i will break it tho even if iahve to pay that much
    Awwww my heart bleeds for you:pac::pac: Ever use spell check/full stops/commas??

jca wrote: »
    Awwww my heart bleeds for you:pac::pac: Ever use spell check/full stops/commas??
    doilooklikeigiveaf1uck

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Or also known as punctuation marks, for short. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Heard Wicklow Town going live 1st Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Dad was driving by a white van earlier and the lads were feeding blue cable down into the cabinet or perhaps the ducting.

@arctan, would you know what that would be? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

red_bairn wrote: »
    Dad was driving by a white van earlier and the lads were feeding blue cable down into the cabinet or perhaps the ducting.

@arctan, would you know what that would be? :)
    Blue is usually the actual fibre isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

There was a Vodafone ad in the Northern Standard saying that Fibre is live in Monaghan...Obviously not since the cab near me doesn't even have stickers on it....

Anyone else in Monaghan town with Fibre on Vodafone?

There was a Vodafone ad in the Northern Standard saying that Fibre is live in Monaghan...Obviously not since the cab near me doesn't even have stickers on it....

They only need 40% of their cabinets live to advertise that.

• Advertisement

Just got word on twitter saying:

"Hiya, I've had a look for you, it will most likely be active by the end of October, exchange was launched in July- 4 months to Completion".

October...

Yes, i'm now on Fibre with Vodafone and i know of at least 2 other people that have fibre in (with eircom).

It's possible the cab near you isn't active... but when you enter your number in to vodafone's line checker what does it say?

smemon wrote: »
    Yes, i'm now on Fibre with Vodafone and i know of at least 2 other people that have fibre in (with eircom).

It's possible the cab near you isn't active... but when you enter your number in to vodafone's line checker what does it say?

It says that I can get 24Mb. I can't even get that because there isn't 'enough of ports' or something according to Vodafone.

More waiting.....

It says that I can get 24Mb. I can't even get that because there isn't 'enough of ports' or something according to Vodafone.

More waiting.....

That's unfortunate... of the people i know that have fibre, all of their numbers show up on the line checker as fibre enabled... as the lads said earlier of 50% of cabs need to be active for them to start advertising so you must be in the minority of cabs that aren't yet ready...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

pg17 wrote: »
    I ordered on August 28 and was given an appointment for September 4 and told the technician would contact me beforehand to confirm his appointment with me. I waited all morning on 4th but nobody showed up.

I phoned eircom 3 times that afternoon - each time I was told there was no appointment and that the person who took the order could only request an appointment and that whatever he entered would have to be confirmed.

Since there was no appointment record in the system the people I spoke to could not enter a new appointment time (if there had been an appointment record, they could have updated it with a new date and time). The best they could do was say that they would send my case to the 'Back Office' and ask the BO to phone me to make an appointment and it might be 2 - 3 days before anybody called me. I asked them to register a complaint and to escalate the case with the BO which they agreed to do. I said I wanted a call back that day. Now 53 hours later, I have heard nothing and don't expect a call at the weekend. I'll be on the phone again on Monday.

That is a long way of saying I don't know how long it will take to get your upgrade. What I do know it that a lot of people reported in this thread that nobody shoed at the appointed time for their installation and that the time varies a lot.

Does anybody know a good number to call to progress an appointment for an order already placed and accepted by eircom?

BTW, I got a letter dated 28th thanking me for my order and noting the bank details for my monthly direct debit.

Update Friday September 13

Monday 9th -
    • phoned eircom eFibre sales - promised escalation and call back from back office, advised to phone BB Support re poor ADSL2 speeds
    • phoned BB Support - no joy, eircom said they cannot improve speed which I don't believe as the attenuation and S/N ratios indicate I should get 14Mbps rather than 5Mbps
    • phoned again to emphasise need for prompt call back re eFibre order - told to expect call back in 2 days
    Wednesday 11 -

phoned eircom eFibre sales and asked to speak with supervisor - I was told that a (named) supervisor was in a meeting and would phone back later same day (Wednesday). Offered €20 credit on next bill for inconvenience. Did not receive a call back.

Friday 13 -

phoned eircm eFibre sales and asked for supervisor - promised call back from named back-office supervisor later the same day (Friday)
    Lo and Behold - I got my first call back about 3.30pm - the supervisor said
    • that my appointment failed because eircom accepted my order before the exchange was ready for orders
    • because of the failed order, she would have to completely cancel my new eFibre account, set-up a new account, create a new appointment, she would do this and then phone me by Tuesday 17 to confirm installation appointment which should be in the following 10 calendar days

So so-far, I ordered on August 28, had a missed appointment on September 4, phoned eircom more times than I can remember and had just one call-back with a promise of progress next week and installation by Friday September 27.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

pg17 wrote: »
    Snip.
    Ouch! Please do keep us posted as to how you get on with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nice one if it happens. It was supposed to be the 25th Sept. Who gave you that date?

Any update on this date,is it confirmed?

We've been told,May/June and now it's September/October.

whats the best thing to do i can get eircom fiber but iam with sky,for broadband.
    do i order fiber with eircom and have it up and running and then cancle my broadband with sky,i have to break my contract with them and pay a fee but i dont mind that.
    i dont want any interruption to my bband as i work from home so i will need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

naughto wrote: »
    whats the best thing to do i can get eircom fiber but iam with sky,for broadband.
    do i order fiber with eircom and have it up and running and then cancle my broadband with sky,i have to break my contract with them and pay a fee but i dont mind that.
    i dont want any interruption to my bband as i work from home so i will need it.

I've have actually just done that, I'm willing to pay the fine so I get so I can have good internet.I'm stuck on 3mb :mad:

I was told on ordering SKY I'd get at least 6MB no problem and when Fibre omes to my area (it wasn't available when I joined SKY)turns out SKY have no intention of getting fibre knowing people are stuck in contracts as SKY aren't offering BB 12 months yet.

I ordered fibre off eircom last night SKY don't know yet I assume.

I just got a mail off eircom confirming my order and welcoming me to eircom fibre.

SKY will onto me soon I assume regarding breaking my contract.I'm thinking of asking them if I agree to a 24 month SKY tv contract will they waive the fee.

Eircom will contact SKY so I need do nothing only wait for install.

I see you a GTAV fan too, I need good BB for online GTA :D

dave1982 wrote: »
    I've have actually just done that, I'm willing to pay the fine so I get so I can have good internet.I'm stuck on 3mb :mad:

I was told on ordering SKY I'd get at least 6MB no problem and when Fibre omes to my area (it wasn't available when I joined SKY)turns out SKY have no intention of getting fibre knowing people are stuck in contracts as SKY aren't offering BB 12 months yet.

I ordered fibre off eircom last night SKY don't know yet I assume.

I just got a mail off eircom confirming my order and welcoming me to eircom fibre.

SKY will onto me soon I assume regarding breaking my contract.I'm thinking of asking them if I agree to a 24 month SKY tv contract will they waive the fee.

Eircom will contact SKY so I need do nothing only wait for install.

I see you a GTAV fan too, I need good BB for online GTA :D

how long have you left on your contract?
    I have 4 months and they said i would have to pay 120euro to break the contract,i just asked how long was left and if i was to break it how much.

i dident say any thing about getting fiber,am i right in saying the sky bb is got over the phone lines and fiber is not.
    iam only after fiber only do not want there calls or any of that crap.

cant wait fot gta if you want to join the crew just let me no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I have 6 months or more left I'd say, do you know if you're charged by months left or is it a standard fee?

Not sure if you can get it without calls, I'm guessing you can't because installation fella must disconnect you eircom box out the front to install fibre.

You can order it online anyway there might be a fibre only option?

dave1982 wrote: »
    I have 6 months or more left I'd say, do you know if you're charged by months left or is it a standard fee?

Not sure if you can get it without calls, I'm guessing you can't because installation fella must disconnect you eircom box out the front to install fibre.

You can order it online anyway there might be a fibre only option?
    i got on the trial that sky where doing so iam only paying 10euro a month for broaband.
    i was hoping that they would only charge me the number of months left by what iam paying for bb,but they dont.
    they said that the min package was 40euro so you multiply that by the number of months left so for you it would be 40x6 months =240euro
    plus admin fee,i dont no what that is.

the eircom rep one said that i could get just fiber with out the call for 40euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tarakino

One a cab is installed, how do I know if it's powered and commissioned?

tarakino wrote: »
    One a cab is installed, how do I know if it's powered and commissioned?

There will be a small electric box beside the VDSL cabinet and a power cable running up a nearby ESB pole. The cabinet will have a yellow sticker when it is commissioned. But other people have informed us that their cabinets have been live without the sticker. Its perhaps the case that they put it on later sometimes if they forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

red_bairn wrote: »
    There will be a small electric box beside the VDSL cabinet and a power cable running up a nearby ESB pole. The cabinet will have a yellow sticker when it is commissioned. But other people have informed us that their cabinets have been live without the sticker. Its perhaps the case that they put it on later sometimes if they forget.

In many cases there isn't any small box for power either. I think that just depends on how the local ESB networks supply is setup and whether it needs local earth rods etc.

That can vary depending on the exact configuration of the local ESB supply lines that it's near.

I know the ones near us have no extra boxes, just the smaller green fibre cabinet and the bigger green copper cabinet.

The only way you can be 100% sure if a cabinet's working is if eircom are accepting orders on it really. The stickers might be a good indicator though but nothing else is really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

smemon wrote: »
    That's unfortunate... of the people i know that have fibre, all of their numbers show up on the line checker as fibre enabled... as the lads said earlier of 50% of cabs need to be active for them to start advertising so you must be in the minority of cabs that aren't yet ready...

Or the 50% of cabs which aren't acitvated. Not exaclty a minority. About half I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Man got my first eircom bill for 70mb and it's €90! I don't know how many times I asked the sales rep was €60 a month the total bill and she said Yes. But now they say I must have an eTalk addon as part of the package.

So my question to this thread, which is kind-of offtopic but:

How much is Vodafone e-fibre 70Mb total per month? I don't want a phone service at all. And if I just stop paying this contract is there any problems switching to Vodafone. I don't care about my credit rating so I'm just not going to pay eircom, fcuk 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

Man got my first eircom bill for 70mb and it's €90! I don't know how many times I asked the sales rep was €60 a month the total bill and she said Yes. But now they say I must have an eTalk addon as part of the package.

So my question to this thread, which is kind-of offtopic but:

How much is Vodafone e-fibre 70Mb total per month? I don't want a phone service at all. And if I just stop paying this contract is there any problems switching to Vodafone. I don't care about my credit rating so I'm just not going to pay eircom, fcuk 'em.

The first bill is probably €90 as its €45x2 (one month service and second month) upfront. The ultimate should be €45 for first 6 months and €60 thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

Does anyone have an update list of cabinet installations, were I live in Dundalk we have one cabinet on one side of the estate and after checking all the houses can get fibre.

But looking at the spreadsheet there was supposed to be a second cabinet installed beside the old one on the front of the estate and still nothing and Dundalk is "supposed to be live" in this period.

FYI anyone know when the Coes Road end of Bay Estate in Dundalk is getting the other cabinet installed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 tarakino

Don't know what's going on with the Eircom website today, their line checker by phone is not working

Advertisement