Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Assuming that these cabinets cost €50K, can serve 150 residential units, and only 50% of those units take up the lowest tier subscription (€50/mo iirc), they'd have the cabinet paid back in just over a year.

Within three years, they'd be raking in the cash, so why aren't they trying harder?
    Because between VAT, resell requirements and what not they are not making even close to 5 EUR per month in profit on the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Nody wrote: »
    Because between VAT, resell requirements and what not they are not making even close to 5 EUR per month in profit on the line?

given Eircom rent the backhual and lease for the lines sure Eircom make more money that a 3rd party providing same broadband/phone so why arent Eircom making large amounts of money? Surely at the least they are far better off than a company that has to lease the backhaul/line.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bealtine wrote: »
    Basic speed on fibre is 25Mbs for E50 per month, compare that with UPC at 37 per month. All eircom fibre has managed to achieve is UPC jacking up their prices...

You cannot actually purchase UPC bb for 37 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

dub45 wrote: »
    You cannot actually purchase UPC bb for 37 per month.

Very true, I forgot the surcharge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Sponge Bob wrote: »

The cab comes preconfigured from a factory, onsite works are confined to a bit of digging. concrete pouring and punching down of copper and splicing of fibre. Around 6 man days total across all specialties.

ESB supplies are not always in situ, holding up some cab rollouts, or they work in parallel
    100 - 200 depending on cabinet size. I think I heard eircom are using 96 144 and 192 port units..variously.... but not sure of the details.

those new smaller green cabs are 192 with 200 pair loop cables into existing cabs ... can't see why they didnt just stick with the whole cab replacement in some areas, as you're gonna have an old cab with 2 or 3 of those new fibre cabs all in one place in densely populated areas

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They are retrofitting the old green 200 pair (Unpowered D - E side conversion) cabs with an internal VDSL unit and power in some cases are they....rather than plank the VDSL cab beside them???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

no the VDSL cabs are still being put beside them, it's just hilarious though that the newer smaller ones which Eircom seem to have gone with can only hold a max of 192 VDSL customers and some might be in feeding with 300 + customers ...

I know obviously not everyone will be using VDSL, but there is a good chance they will hit capacity too ...

my point was that should have just replaced the cab in densly populated areas with those dedicated FTTC cabs they had during the pilot phase to future proof for capacity

arctan wrote: »
    my point was that should have just replaced the cab in densly populated areas with those dedicated FTTC cabs they had during the pilot phase to future proof for capacity

Spot on, do it the sensible way...

arctan wrote: »
    no the VDSL cabs are still being put beside them, it's just hilarious though that the newer smaller ones which Eircom seem to have gone with can only hold a max of 192 VDSL customers and some might be in feeding with 300 + customers ...

But as they are in areas which have UPC (by and large) then 192 out of 300 is a pretty good takeup rate. :)

Around 40% of eircoms installed base of D sides carry no service at present anyway, some residential customers have gone to UPC and many are mobile only households nowadays. Many extra D sides were installed in the 1990s when people had both a phone line and a modem line in their houses. That business is long gone but the copper is still there.

There is an upper limit on 'unmetered' units ( I think it is a 2KW draw) where the ESB supplies power to a 'box' and charges flat rate 24/7 for it with no meter. It could be that 192 ports is the best density they can do right now without paying for the extra cost of metering.

Putting a 300 port cab beside a 300 line 'green box' strikes me as overprovisioning anyway. :D

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Putting a 300 port cab beside a 300 line 'green box' strikes me as overprovisioning anyway. :D

And putting 2 lanes and roundabouts on the M50 was short-sighted ;) If the cost is not prohibitive, would it not be better to build for the future than build for the present?

• Advertisement

LFCFan wrote: »
    would it not be better to build for the future than build for the present?

It would normally but for eircom the present is the future like! :D

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

It would normally but for eircom the present is the future like! :D

I guess you're right. Their strategy right now is do what they can to maximise any sale price by doing as little as possible and let the next owners worry about future capacity!!

LFCFan wrote: »
    I guess you're right. Their strategy right now is do what they can to maximise any sale price

Their strategy is to dodge examinership (again) in 2015/6 in my opinion. They are still carrying far too much debt at €2.3bn to invest properly and either get onto the curve or ahead of the curve on technology.

I suppose once they get down to 1.2m lines and 2 copper pairs per active line then they can see a future in Pair Bonded VDSL profiles for themselves.

They may well reach 1.2m lines as early as 2014. It is around 1.4m now but the 300k+ social welfare lines may not last very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

stevenf17 wrote: »

It seems that the british have helped us out again!

Liamario wrote: »
    It seems that the british have helped us out again!

BT can get the cabinets a lot cheaper than eircom can!!! I wonder whether BT decided that eircom are going into UPC infested suburbia so they'll go into non UPC infested business districts like central Dun Laoghaire etc.

And what is this request of theirs to eircom, middle mile fibre perhaps ????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Wonder will BT start doing mid size non UPC regional towns if this trial is a success?get in ahead of Eircom's slow FTTC roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Does this mean that any exchange that is part of the LLU scene would be available to BT / Vodafone. There were some 98 exchanges LLU'ed at this time last year.

More interesting is that BT are considering FTTP as a simple add-on to be run from FTTC sites giving speeds of up to 300mb+in the UK and NI. Successful trials have completed in Cornwall. Over 89% of NI is now connected to / or can connect to fibre with speeds of up to 80mb. Sickening, truly sickening...

PeadarB wrote: »
    There were some 98 exchanges LLU'ed at this time last year.

Where did you get that figure from?

Where did you get that figure from?

Got it from a list that was on this thread some months ago but deemed privileged and whipped off in double quick time. ;)

• Advertisement

PeadarB wrote: »
    Got it from a list that was on this thread some months ago but deemed privileged and whipped off in double quick time. ;)

Oh I know the list you mean.

These are the 88 LLU exchanges from it aren't they.

AKW Arklow
    ATH Athlone
    BRN Balbriggan
    BLA Ballina
    BSE Ballinasloe
    BNC Ballincollig
    BLB Ballyboden
    BBH Beggars Bush
    BLP Belcamp
    BDT Blanchardstown
    BRI Bray
    CAB Cabra
    CHD Caherdavin
    CRW Carlow
    CBR Castlebar
    CSW Castletown
    CTY Castletroy
    CEL Celbridge
    CHF Churchfield
    CWT Citywest
    CLM Clonmel
    CLT Clontarf
    CLK Coolock
    CKC Cork Central
    CGA Crossagalla
    CRA Crown Alley
    CRL Crumlin
    CUS Customs Hs Docks
    DYX Dennehys Cross
    DBN Dolphins Barn
    DBT Donabate
    LKD Dooradoyle
    DGS Douglas
    DBC Drogheda
    DDK Dundalk
    DDM Dundrum
    DLA Dunlaoghaire
    ETY Enniscorthy
    FNG Finglas
    FOX Foxrock
    GAL Galway
    GRY Gorey
    GRS Greystones
    KNY Kilkenny
    KLN Killarney
    LKY Letterkenny
    LCN Lucan Ballydowd
    MHZ Malahide
    MER Merrion
    MVW Mervue
    MGR Mullingar
    NAS Naas
    CLD Nangor Road
    AUV Navan
    NMN North Main
    NUT Nutley
    PHB Phibsboro
    PGS Portlaoise
    PMK Portmarnock
    PRP Priory Park
    QKR Quaker Road
    RTD Rathedmond
    RMS Rathmines
    LMK Roches Street
    ROC Rochestown
    RSL Roslevin
    RUS Rush
    SND Sandyford
    SNH Sandyford Aeh
    SAN Santry
    SKL Shankill
    SLA Shantalla
    SHP Ship Street
    SKS Skerries
    SGO Sligo
    SRL Summerhill
    STN Sutton
    SRD Swords
    TLH Tallaght
    TRE Terenure
    TWV Tralee
    TYC Tycor
    WAL Walkinstown
    WTD Waterford Central
    WRD Wellington Road
    WXD Wexford
    WHI Whitehall
    WLW Wicklow

Oh I know the list you mean.

These are the 88 LLU exchanges from it aren't they.

Spongebob - 92? I still can't count:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

So how soon will these exchanges have fibre? It would be nice to say goodbye to my 4mb line

dubmick wrote: »
    So how soon will these exchanges have fibre? It would be nice to say goodbye to my 4mb line

Whenever eircom get to them:)

Best case scenario. What's the Irish broadband landscape going to look like in 18 months?

Best case scenario. What's the Irish broadband landscape going to look like in 18 months?

best case : every exchange in the country has fibre into the exchange and fibre to cabinets in the surrounding area...

probable case : Large towns and cities have fibre (done) and fibre to the cabinets in the area

best case : every exchange in the country has fibre into the exchange and fibre to cabinets in the surrounding area...

probable case : Large towns and cities have fibre (done) and fibre to the cabinets in the area

So, if you live in any of the towns on the list, you can be looking forward to far greater speeds if you are currently on DSL.

I wonder if this will get UPC moving in terms of getting broadband out fully in areas riddled with "blockers".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I wonder if this will get UPC moving in terms of getting broadband out fully in areas riddled with "blockers".

I think UPC will continue to work at their own rate. They still have a superior product with higher speeds and a very well developed TV and now video on demand product.

They will probably continue to expand where it makes financial sense. And continue to target already connected areas to get people to switch over to them.

The one effect it will probably have is keep price inflation down. UPC's prices seem to be creeping up recently, some competition should halt that.

I also think UPC are missing out on a low end, cheap product, with a short contract to target all the people using 3g "broadband".

bk wrote: »
    The one effect it will probably have is keep price inflation down. UPC's prices seem to be creeping up recently, some competition should halt that.

I also think UPC are missing out on a low end, cheap product, with a short contract to target all the people using 3g "broadband".

Creeping isn't the word I'd use:)

It's now E37 + 7.88 so 44.88 for the basic 25Mbs package, the basic package has gone up considerably in price in the past few years, it is still competitive with what ever eircom will deliver over fibre but only just.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

I wonder now with Sky soon starting to offer broadband through that deal with BT and BT potentially starting to roll out fibre, will this finally mean some proper competition for UPC.

Advertisement