Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Does anyone have an update list of cabinet installations, were I live in Dundalk we have one cabinet on one side of the estate and after checking all the houses can get fibre.

But looking at the spreadsheet there was supposed to be a second cabinet installed beside the old one on the front of the estate and still nothing and Dundalk is "supposed to be live" in this period.

FYI anyone know when the Coes Road end of Bay Estate in Dundalk is getting the other cabinet installed ?

I found a few phantom cabs in my town. Might have been planned at some point but were never actually put in place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Oh God , I just got that sinking feeling , I just checked and every house in my estate from 1-49 can get the Fibre now , but nothing for 50-71 ,

Im hoping they just have not uploaded them yet ,

There is only one old phone cab in the estate so I would nearly be 100% sure were all on the same one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Dundalk:

Had an engineer onsite in work yesterday. He said it was going live to homes on the 26th, he said he didnt know if Eircom were doing the work or if it was being outsourced. Think he said Drogheda was outsourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

mada999 wrote: »
    Dundalk:

Had an engineer onsite in work yesterday. He said it was going live to homes on the 26th, he said he didnt know if Eircom were doing the work or if it was being outsourced. Think he said Drogheda was outsourced.
    Do you know what areas of Dundalk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

mada999 wrote: »
    Dundalk:

Yellow sticker (DDK1_049A) appeared on the cabinet in our estate (Lis Na Dara, Carrick Rd) during the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

I have a feeling that Dundalk although ear marked to go live by the end of this month for all areas, wont have half the cabinets installed.

For Example my estate 50% roughly is live the other half is not (and not exactly a big estate) the main cabinet on the front of the estate hasnt even being installed, so I dont understand the logic here ?

Oh God , I just got that sinking feeling , I just checked and every house in my estate from 1-49 can get the Fibre now , but nothing for 50-71 ,

Im hoping they just have not uploaded them yet ,

There is only one old phone cab in the estate so I would nearly be 100% sure were all on the same one

Same situation for myself, there doesnt seem to be a great deal of logic to this.

I am exactly 800 metres from the first cabinet in my estate and the second one hasnt even being installed.

I have a feeling that Dundalk although ear marked to go live by the end of this month for all areas, wont have half the cabinets installed.

For Example my estate 50% roughly is live the other half is not (and not exactly a big estate) the main cabinet on the front of the estate hasnt even being installed, so I dont understand the logic here ?
    Eircom haven't a clue what's going on to be honest, there's a cab just round the corner from my house and has power going to it and it's connected to my estate.

So far from Eircom I've got numerous dates from Jul, Aug, Sept, Oct, early 2014 to "we're sorry but eFibre is not available in your area", on their map it says Jul - Sept'13 etc... They really haven't a clue what they are at :rolleyes:

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Eircom haven't a clue what's going on to be honest, there's a cab just round the corner from my house and has power going to it and it's connected to my estate.

So far from Eircom I've got numerous dates from Jul, Aug, Sept, Oct, early 2014 to "we're sorry but eFibre is not available in your area", on their map it says Jul - Sept'13 etc... They really haven't a clue what they are at :rolleyes:

Methinks we will have to keep on waiting the only plus is maybe the prices of other vendors may come down in the mean time.

I have noticed although DSL is getting worse progessively

So it's not just only me that noticed this too, last few weeks speeds have dropped slightly in the afternoon/evening and ping rates have increased also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Methinks we will have to keep on waiting the only plus is maybe the prices of other vendors may come down in the mean time.

I don't understand how the rollout of efiber could worsen the existing dsl setup.

jca wrote: »
    I don't understand how the rollout of efiber could worsen the existing dsl setup.

It just seems coincidental since this "Rollout" has begun

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

KN networks doing some work on St. Alphonsus Road at lunch time... hopefully getting closer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

It just seems coincidental since this "Rollout" has begun

Right, but add me too! [?]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Quite a lot of the planned cabinets in Dundalk haven't been commissioned yet - most of those don't have an indicated completion date, however some are still planned for completion by the end of November.
    The majority of Cabinets there have been completed since August though.

EDIT: By completed, I mean they aren't active yet, but are in place, powered, connected to the exchange and ready to go once the Exchange is launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Is the phone number checker working for anybody? I've tried a few times over the last few days and nothing is happening... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Spotted today in Ballinasloe. Fibre jointing? Blowing in?

272282.JPG

Drum of black cable feeding into it.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Is the phone number checker working for anybody? I've tried a few times over the last few days and nothing is happening... :confused:
    Not working for me this past few days also

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Spotted today in Ballinasloe. Fibre jointing? Blowing in?

272282.JPG

Drum of black cable feeding into it.

Pressurizing the duct to feed in fibre by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whats the purpose of the pressurization? To enlarge it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

roast wrote: »
    Pressurizing the duct to feed in fibre by the looks of it.

I thought that. Wasn't sure though. There was a drum of black cable feeding into it. You can see it going into the left machine (the thinner one). Don't know what made me think eircom were using green coloured fibre and the compressor would be bigger.:D
    ED E wrote:

Because the fibre is blown through the duct using compressed air. Feeds smoother when the duct is pressurised

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

pg17 wrote: »
    Posted September 6
    I ordered on August 28 and was given an appointment for September 4 and told the technician would contact me beforehand to confirm his appointment with me. I waited all morning on 4th but nobody showed up.

I phoned eircom 3 times that afternoon - each time I was told there was no appointment and that the person who took the order could only request an appointment and that whatever he entered would have to be confirmed.

Since there was no appointment record in the system the people I spoke to could not enter a new appointment time (if there had been an appointment record, they could have updated it with a new date and time). The best they could do was say that they would send my case to the 'Back Office' and ask the BO to phone me to make an appointment and it might be 2 - 3 days before anybody called me. I asked them to register a complaint and to escalate the case with the BO which they agreed to do. I said I wanted a call back that day. Now 53 hours later, I have heard nothing and don't expect a call at the weekend. I'll be on the phone again on Monday.

That is a long way of saying I don't know how long it will take to get your upgrade. What I do know it that a lot of people reported in this thread that nobody shoed at the appointed time for their installation and that the time varies a lot.

Does anybody know a good number to call to progress an appointment for an order already placed and accepted by eircom?

BTW, I got a letter dated 28th thanking me for my order and noting the bank details for my monthly direct debit.
    pg17 wrote: »
    Update Friday September 13

Monday 9th -
    • phoned eircom eFibre sales - promised escalation and call back from back office, advised to phone BB Support re poor ADSL2 speeds
    • phoned BB Support - no joy, eircom said they cannot improve speed which I don't believe as the attenuation and S/N ratios indicate I should get 14Mbps rather than 5Mbps
    • phoned again to emphasise need for prompt call back re eFibre order - told to expect call back in 2 days
    Wednesday 11 -

phoned eircom eFibre sales and asked to speak with supervisor - I was told that a (named) supervisor was in a meeting and would phone back later same day (Wednesday). Offered €20 credit on next bill for inconvenience. Did not receive a call back.

Friday 13 -

phoned eircm eFibre sales and asked for supervisor - promised call back from named back-office supervisor later the same day (Friday)
    Lo and Behold - I got my first call back about 3.30pm - the supervisor said
    • that my appointment failed because eircom accepted my order before the exchange was ready for orders
    • because of the failed order, she would have to completely cancel my new eFibre account, set-up a new account, create a new appointment, she would do this and then phone me by Tuesday 17 to confirm installation appointment which should be in the following 10 calendar days

So so-far, I ordered on August 28, had a missed appointment on September 4, phoned eircom more times than I can remember and had just one call-back with a promise of progress next week and installation by Friday September 27.

Update Tuesday 17th

Saturday 14 -

received email giving me my new order number and an installation date of Wednesday 18th - Oh, the joy of it - this restored my faith in eircom, at least temporarily

Monday 16 -

The rep who promised to phone today with an installation date did not phone
    Another rep rang and asked me if I had an installation appointment (which I had) and then proceeded to tell me that eircom did not have the resources locally to do the installation on Wednesday which is the date of my written, confirmed appointment. Instead he said my appointment would be on Friday 27th. I protested and explained the history of my order. The rep said he would discuss my case and my request for an early installation with his manager and would phone me back. This did not happen - no call back.

Tuesday 17 -

I received a letter confirming my new eFibre account number and direct debit

I phoned eircom yet again, explained the situation and was offered apologies, the rep could not connect me to a supervisor and had no number to contact the Back Office. Instead, she will escalate to the Back Office and they will phone back but she said that would take 4 days and by then it will be the week ending Friday 27, so she thought I should just wait for the installation on that date and implied there was little to gain from escalating. Maybe she is right, maybe I should stop annoying my self and wait for eircom to arrive in September, October, 2013, 2014 or whenever they find the resources to fulfil customer orders.

So so-far,
    • I ordered on August 28,
    • had a missed appointment on September 4,
    • phoned eircom more times than I can remember
    • had one call-back with a promise of progress this week and installation by Friday September 27
    • had a call back during which my eFibre account and order were cancelled and a new account and order were set-up
    • had an installation appointment confirmed for Wednesday 18th
    • had that appointment cancelled
    • had a new appointment for Friday 27th
    • I am waiting for the result of my latest escalation

I can't anticipate how this will play-out. I'll post an update when something positive happens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

red_bairn wrote: »

There hole system has been down all day , called 9 times today , told to call back in an hour each time ,

Spoke to one competent girl all day ! Does not really fill me with faith to go with them ,

ED E wrote: »
    kaizersoze wrote: »
    I thought that. Wasn't sure though. There was a drum of black cable feeding into it. You can see it going into the left machine (the thinner one). Don't know what made me think eircom were using green coloured fibre and the compressor would be bigger.:D

Because the fibre is blown through the duct using compressed air. Feeds smoother when the duct is pressurised

Yep - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_jetting

There hole system has been down all day , called 9 times today , told to call back in an hour each time ,

Spoke to one competent girl all day ! Does not really fill me with faith to go with them ,

Big cock-up with Eircom systems all day. AFAIK.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Hi,
    I can confirm that provisioning system is still down and latest status is

"17/9/2013 22:46:29
    Incident: Fixed Line provisioning systems out of service..
    Affecting Unified Gateway service in Customer Care Centres.
    Forecasted Restore time: 17/09/2013 23:00
    Current Status: Second Level Support engaged."

Its not looking too good for me !

Welcome to our live chat service. A member of our team will help you shortly.

You are now connected with Niall
    Niall: Welcome to the eircom-sales webchat, my name is Niall how can I help you today?
    Peter Walsh: Niall , how are you ?
    Niall: Im good thanks Peter how can i help you?
    Peter Walsh: I want to check availability of eFibre in my estate
    Peter Walsh: I checked on your online checker for my estate in Newbridge , Kilbelin Abbey
    Niall: Can i have your full postal address and i will see can you get it?
    Peter Walsh: Out of 72 houses in the estate 59 are coming up as able to order eFibre, we are all on the same exchange as its a relatively new estate (5-6) years old and there is only one cabinet
    Peter Walsh: xx Kilbelin Abbey Newbridge, Co Kildare
    Niall: We do not guarantee efibre in all address's, i can see it is in this area but not at your address, it may be available in the future as houses are still being efibre enabled in this area.
    Peter Walsh: Is there someone I can speak with to get more information as to what the issue is here ?
    Peter Walsh: It would seem strange to enable 59 from 72
    Niall: We cannot efibre at all address's, this is due to the distance you are away from the cabinet, we cannot see yet if there will be a second one going in.
    Peter Walsh: Im less than 400 M from the cabinet , The house further away from the cab from me is listed as available , there is only one cab in the estate as that where all the phone lines ran to
    Niall: As i said Peter we dont guarantee this at all address's we state it is in the area but not all address's can avail of this product, we will notify you via post if it comes available to your address but cannot guarantee this.
    Peter Walsh: So is there a Networks team that can be spoken too ?
    Niall: No Peter you can call sales if you wish but they will just advise the same, we cannot guarantee at all address's.
    Peter Walsh: So you guys dont have a networks team to speak with , so a person can find out what the issue may be ?
    Niall: No unfortunately not, we can only see the houses which can get this, the cabinet can only power upto so many houses and will start at number one so you will be told you are too far away and we cannot guarantee to all address's.
    Peter Walsh: By any chance do you know what the numerical limit is on the cabinet ? 60 houses , 70 Houses , 80 houses ?
    Niall: This can all vary so i would not know.
    Peter Walsh: As vague an answer as it gets

Its not looking too good for me !

Welcome to our live chat service. A member of our team will help you shortly.

You are now connected with Niall
    Niall: Welcome to the eircom-sales webchat, my name is Niall how can I help you today?
    Peter Walsh: Niall , how are you ?
    Niall: Im good thanks Peter how can i help you?
    Peter Walsh: I want to check availability of eFibre in my estate
    Peter Walsh: I checked on your online checker for my estate in Newbridge , Kilbelin Abbey
    Niall: Can i have your full postal address and i will see can you get it?
    Peter Walsh: Out of 72 houses in the estate 59 are coming up as able to order eFibre, we are all on the same exchange as its a relatively new estate (5-6) years old and there is only one cabinet
    Peter Walsh: xx Kilbelin Abbey Newbridge, Co Kildare
    Niall: We do not guarantee efibre in all address's, i can see it is in this area but not at your address, it may be available in the future as houses are still being efibre enabled in this area.
    Peter Walsh: Is there someone I can speak with to get more information as to what the issue is here ?
    Peter Walsh: It would seem strange to enable 59 from 72
    Niall: We cannot efibre at all address's, this is due to the distance you are away from the cabinet, we cannot see yet if there will be a second one going in.
    Peter Walsh: Im less than 400 M from the cabinet , The house further away from the cab from me is listed as available , there is only one cab in the estate as that where all the phone lines ran to
    Niall: As i said Peter we dont guarantee this at all address's we state it is in the area but not all address's can avail of this product, we will notify you via post if it comes available to your address but cannot guarantee this.
    Peter Walsh: So is there a Networks team that can be spoken too ?
    Niall: No Peter you can call sales if you wish but they will just advise the same, we cannot guarantee at all address's.
    Peter Walsh: So you guys dont have a networks team to speak with , so a person can find out what the issue may be ?
    Niall: No unfortunately not, we can only see the houses which can get this, the cabinet can only power upto so many houses and will start at number one so you will be told you are too far away and we cannot guarantee to all address's.
    Peter Walsh: By any chance do you know what the numerical limit is on the cabinet ? 60 houses , 70 Houses , 80 houses ?
    Niall: This can all vary so i would not know.
    Peter Walsh: As vague an answer as it gets

192 addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

ED E wrote: »

This video will explain all :

Or, for an Irish perspective :

http://www.alltecfibre.ie/pages/index.asp?title=Fibre_Optic_Ireland_-_Fibre_Optic_Networking_and_Cabling_Projects_-_Alltec_Fibre_TV

They've a few examples of what actually happens.

Basically you're blowing pressurised air down the duct and the fibre 'rides' on the cushion of air making it very easy to slide it through.

• Advertisement

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-21/item/34216-eircom-ceo-herb-hribar/

Its a good sign that they will be helping with the very low latency for the country.

Advertisement