Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Its not looking too good for me !

Welcome to our live chat service. A member of our team will help you shortly.

the cabinet can only power upto so many houses and will start at number one so you will be told you are too far away and we cannot guarantee to all address's.

That sounds like horseshyte to me.

"starting at number 1"?

By that reasoning, if someone is in an estate with 150 houses but the cab can only accommodate 100, then 101 - 150 will be denied bb on the off chance that the lower numbers might order? What if the lower numbers never want it? Does that mean the ports in the cab will be left idle? I fu€king doubt it.
    What about places, like much of my locality, with no house numbers?

Orders are taken on a first-come-first-served basis until the cab has reached capacity. Then they might consider a second cab if the demand is there.

I'd say your problem is a local 'technical' one that will be rectified.
    A little patience is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

kaizersoze wrote: »
    That sounds like horseshyte to me.

"starting at number 1"?

By that reasoning, if someone is in an estate with 150 houses but the cab can only accommodate 100, then 101 - 150 will be denied bb on the off chance that the lower numbers might order? What if the lower numbers never want it? Does that mean the ports in the cab will be left idle? I fu€king doubt it.
    What about places, like much of my locality, with no house numbers?

Orders are taken on a first-come-first-served basis until the cab has reached capacity. Then they might consider a second cab if the demand is there.

I'd say your problem is a local 'technical' one that will be rectified.
    A little patience is needed.

Yeah, I agree. I think the person on the live chat just made up something because they have no clue what is going on. Eircom seem to be doing some work on a line under the pavement in our estate. I hope it is sorted by the time we go live (if it can affect us).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

ordered it to day insulation date of 18th of october wife due or 1st baby on the 20th.need to get on to sky and cancle the broadband with them and pay the fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

red_bairn wrote: »
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-21/item/34216-eircom-ceo-herb-hribar/

Its a good sign that they will be helping with the very low latency for the country.

Well, they'll need the capacity as their consumer products start to pull more and more data through.

However, eircom's not the only player in town for international connectivity. I love the way they talk about "Ireland" when they mean their own network.

naughto wrote: »
    ordered it to day insulation date of 18th of october wife due or 1st baby on the 20th.need to get on to sky and cancle the broadband with them and pay the fee

Best of luck with the new arrival...the baby, not the fibre.:D

There's a fair chance that neither your wife of the eircom installer will be on time though.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

naughto wrote: »

Hi naughto,
    Would you mind telling me how much sky are charging for early release ?
    I'm out of contract in Jan , currently on the 10 euros promotion , but am thinking on moving back to VF or Eircom
    Thanks !

PS : all the best for the new arrival :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

A yellow sticker has gone on the cab in our housing estate in the last few days. We were originally listed in that Eircom spreadsheet as going live end of September. I can't tell at this stage (going by this thread) if the yellow sticker is any kind of an indicator of pending efibre service, but fingers crossed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Omg! Yayayayayay!!
    Hose9hx.png?1

Delighted that it's available to me now, just have to wait for Sky to launch their fibre!

Omg! Yayayayayay!!
    Hose9hx.png?1

Delighted that it's available to me now, just have to wait for Sky to launch their fibre!
    It'll probably be available to everyone by the time Sky launch it.
    A yellow sticker has gone on the cab in our housing estate in the last few days. We were originally listed in that Eircom spreadsheet as going live end of September. I can't tell at this stage (going by this thread) if the yellow sticker is any kind of an indicator of pending efibre service, but fingers crossed!

It's been mentioned a few times on this thread that cabs listed for the end of September will be live on the 25th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

kaizersoze wrote: »
    It'll probably be available to everyone by the time Sky launch it.

It's been mentioned a few times on this thread that cabs listed for the end of September will be live on the 25th.
    Yeah here's hoping anyway. I told people here about the 25th for the South East as that's what an Eircom person told me, lots of people were told that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Hi naughto,
    Would you mind telling me how much sky are charging for early release ?
    I'm out of contract in Jan , currently on the 10 euros promotion , but am thinking on moving back to VF or Eircom
    Thanks !

PS : all the best for the new arrival :-)
    iam on the 10 euro a month promo as well.when i rang them up last week in "enquire"about my contract i was told the even though iam on the 10euro amonth promo for broadband i would be charged at the min package that they sell which is 40euro so what ever number of months you have left will be multiplyied by 40.
    but dont we pay a month in advance for the broadband so that means we have paid for october all ready at 10 euro so id be thinking it would be for me nov,dec that i would have to pay or in this case 80 euro.
    i asked when if ever are sky going to rool out fiber and she said that they had no plans up untill christmass any way,
    that is why iam jumping ship.
    if it takes longer than the date they gave so be itit ill be saving my self money the longer eircom take to install it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I know a guy who had a new Fibre cabinet two doors up from him and he is around 15 - 20 metres from the cabinet, should he be able to get the full 70mbps? or would it be possible to get a direct fibre-optic cable from the cab for even higher speeds? His area will be launching October to December and the cabinets are getting rolled out and there was recently a new cabinet put-in two doors up much to his delight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Stinicker wrote: »
    I know a guy who had a new Fibre cabinet two doors up from him and he is around 15 - 20 metres from the cabinet, should he be able to get the full 70mbps? or would it be possible to get a direct fibre-optic cable from the cab for even higher speeds? His area will be launching October to December and the cabinets are getting rolled out and there was recently a new cabinet put-in two doors up much to his delight.

FTTH or FTTP/FTTB isn't being rolled out. He will not get fibre to his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Was talking to eircom tech today and he says Dundalk live next week and some already is.He was saying work is complete just testing where is not live at moment. Hope this helps some :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

raytaxi wrote: »
    Was talking to eircom tech today and he says Dundalk live next week and some already is.He was saying work is complete just testing where is not live at moment. Hope this helps some :D
    Where about in the town are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

I live outside town, but checked number of where i used to (avondale park) also friends number in rockfield manor.
    Guy I was talking to is in planning and was checking cab beside my house for space for vsdl gear and said another cab will go beside it :D Where I am is not due till next year going by online plan he said may be in before xmas happy days if so:D
    My exchange only has 5 cabinets to be linked in. So sounds good son will be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I see engineers working on the cabinet outside the vocational school in Enniscorthy. That cabinet is way behind the others. It doesn't have a vdsl cabinet yet but the platform is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tarakino

Is it guaranteed that all the areas going live between July and September according to the eircom map will really go live by end of this month or start of October??

tarakino wrote: »
    Is it guaranteed that all the areas going live between July and September according to the eircom map will really go live by end of this month or start of October??

25th of September apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

tarakino wrote: »

Don't forget only 40% of cabinets have to commissioned for an exchange/area to be declared live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Stinicker wrote: »

At this stage, no they're not doing FTTH at all as part of this rollout programme.
    However, assuming the line's run fairly directly from the cabinet to his house and don't go the scenic route, he'll get close to 20mbit/s up and 70mbit/s down in the initial phase and that will probably go beyond 100mbit/s when vectoring (noise-cancellation technology) is enabled on the system at some stage in the near future.

AFAIK, there's a hold-up as ComReg doesn't know how to make vectoring and unbundling work together as only one DSLAM can manage the lines from a given cabinet.

Vectoring's relatively new-fangled, cutting edge stuff.
    However, there does appear to be a work around where two DSLAMs can be linked together to coordinate it between them and the protocols are starting to appear to allow it to be possible.
    So, that might solve the problems entirely.

I know the equipment vendors are all working on it because it's a regulatory issue in most countries, not just Ireland.

I've read a few press releases from Huawei and Alcatel-Lucent about it and they both seem to have solutions ready to roll at this stage or nearly ready to anyway.

Also, very few places have actually turned vectoring on. Ireland could end up being one of Huawei's testbeds for it. It'll be interesting to see what happens when it does go live though as it could mean a pretty significant speed increase for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

From Eircoms map it looks like Navan has been pushed back to a December go live date.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Damn, Loughrea just went from July-Sept 2013 to unspecified 2014, several cabinets already around town but now no activation until next year....big disappointment :(

It looks the same for a lot of other areas that were in the July-Sept timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

raytaxi wrote: »
    I live outside town, but checked number of where i used to (avondale park) also friends number in rockfield manor.
    Guy I was talking to is in planning and was checking cab beside my house for space for vsdl gear and said another cab will go beside it :D Where I am is not due till next year going by online plan he said may be in before xmas happy days if so:D
    My exchange only has 5 cabinets to be linked in. So sounds good son will be happy

I see the map is now saying Dundalk October rather than July Sept. I hope this means that the 25 Sept date for cabs going live is confirmed and that orders taken after that will be installed in Oct. Also I could be mistaken but I think there used to be another separate area on the map for the Castletown exchange, now gone and a big chunk of the map previously shaded is not now for upgrade.

Also Blackrock is now Dec, was Oct Dec before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Furp wrote: »
    From Eircoms map it looks like Navan has been pushed back to a December go live date.

Must be some sort of mix up , a Lot Newbridge is live already but its saying on that map 2014 whilst it always said July to September !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Mahon in Cork eFibre now available.
    Check to get it, my house is not yet in an eFibre area!

Might phone them tomorrow.

Another check says I should be enjoying eFibre ????

Also I could be mistaken but I think there used to be another separate area on the map for the Castletown exchange, now gone and a big chunk of the map previously shaded is not now for upgrade.

Just seen that now, wtf? Castletown has been on that for months now as Jul - Sept 2013, what are Eircom playing at, there's numerous VDSL cabs installed in the Castletown area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Mahon in Cork eFibre now available.
    Check to get it, my house is not yet in an eFibre area!

Might phone them tomorrow.

Another check says I should be enjoying eFibre ????

Has something changed on the checker for you recently or whats prompting you to say Fibre is now available in Mahon?

Dates for Carrickmacross & Kingscourt that were Jul - Sept 2013 have now changed to 2014, wonder what has happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Just seen that now, wtf? Castletown has been on that for months now as Jul - Sept 2013, what are Eircom playing at, there's numerous VDSL cabs installed in the Castletown area.

Some of those cabs are live, the majority are anyway AFAIK, no?

Advertisement