Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Just had fibre installed by Eircom. (in Balbriggan)

The connection is max 50m/bits, and I'm coming very close to that.

Just wondering about the 70m/bit speeds and whether I could just call and request a different profile? I'm sure my line is capable of better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

KOR101 wrote: »
    Just had fibre installed by Eircom. (in Balbriggan)

The connection is max 50m/bits, and I'm coming very close to that.

Just wondering about the 70m/bit speeds and whether I could just call and request a different profile? I'm sure my line is capable of better.

The worst thing about this is i guarantee on ADSL2 you were getting 24mb anyway.

Don't see why people like yourself get upgraded first. Should be the last to get fibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You could ask but the speed is extremely sensitive to distance from the cabinet.

For broadband your line quality and length from your house to the cabinet is all that matters. The bit to the exchange (if in use) is only for your legacy voice telephone services.

Any idea how far you are from the street cabinet?

Vectoring will probably give most people a fairly notifiable speed boost when it gets turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

SpaceTime wrote: »
    You could ask but the speed is extremely sensitive to distance from the cabinet.

For broadband your line quality and length from your house to the cabinet is all that matters. The bit to the exchange (if in use) is only for your legacy voice telephone services.

Any idea how far you are from the street cabinet?

Vectoring will probably give most people a fairly notifiable speed boost when it gets turned on.

Is latency improved with the vectoring or would we only see differences when Eircom imrpove on their international infrastructure? (1Gbps upgrade as stated in Silicon Republic article)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bazideluxe

Hey guys, just a quick question, do I need to have my phone line upgraded in any way to get full 24Mbit/s? I live less than 100 meters from eircom exchange. I am currently getting no more than ~12500kbps. It seems to me I have ADSL line only and to get full 24Mbit/s I need to have ADSL2+ phone line?

If that is correct, will Eircom do it for me? Any charge? (Am already paying for 24Mbits for last three years and never got it even I am so close to exchange)

Btw the exchange is in Clonmellon, Co. Westmeath

dmlkPEI.jpg

THX for reply!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

I see the map is now saying Dundalk October rather than July Sept. I hope this means that the 25 Sept date for cabs going live is confirmed and that orders taken after that will be installed in Oct. Also I could be mistaken but I think there used to be another separate area on the map for the Castletown exchange, now gone and a big chunk of the map previously shaded is not now for upgrade.

Also Blackrock is now Dec, was Oct Dec before.

Yes. Used the number checker and it says I can now get efibre. Before this both indicated July-Sept 2013 availablility. I'm on the Carrick Rd.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Is latency improved with the vectoring or would we only see differences when Eircom imrpove on their international infrastructure? (1Gbps upgrade as stated in Silicon Republic article)

Well if it decreases the amount of error correction needed on the DSL link it might help.

More international connectivity would help alright, especially if it means more connections avoiding UK hops before going to the US.

I suspect a lot of latency is down to the error correction protocols on DSL though. I'd like to see ping times on an eircom FTTH setup. That would tell you if it's the local or international links.

If the ping is very good on FTTH then their core and international connectivity is good and it's the DSL / VDSL causing the delays.

Bazideluxe wrote: »
    Hey guys, just a quick question, do I need to have my phone line upgraded in any way to get full 24Mbit/s? I live less than 100 meters from eircom exchange. I am currently getting no more than ~12500kbps. It seems to me I have ADSL line only and to get full 24Mbit/s I need to have ADSL2+ phone line?

If that is correct, will Eircom do it for me? Any charge? (Am already paying for 24Mbits for last three years and never got it even I am so close to exchange)

Btw the exchange is in Clonmellon, Co. Westmeath

dmlkPEI.jpg

THX for reply!

That exchange looks to be not yet capable of providing Next Generation Broadband. Note the X next to broadband. It's connected to the next generation core network though as a reach node, they just haven't done the necessary equipment upgrades to provide NGN consumer broadband on DSL.

It means it's still only providing the original broadband packages on the old network.
    1, 3 and 7 Mbit/s max with much less back haul so possibly with higher levels of contention (more people sharing a smaller pipe)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just got a call from Vodafone, eFibre order placed and should have it 23rd Oct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Enniscorthy confirmed as going live on 2nd October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Just got a call from Vodafone, eFibre order placed and should have it 23rd Oct :)

Can I ask:
    What package are you on and how much will it cost you?
    Also whereabouts in dundalk are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

Ahhhhhggghhh! The map has now changed from "July to September" to 2014 for the Bettystown area......why do they give us hope and then pull the carpet out from under us

neacy69 wrote: »
    Can I ask:
    What package are you on and how much will it cost you?
    Also whereabouts in dundalk are you?

Toberona

Pack: €44.50 per month

http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/home-extra/

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

I am about to order Vodafone, too, Broadband only 35€ simply because Eircom is going to be 50€ a month for the same service. 3 questions:
    Was that also your reason for not going with eircom? Are you switching directly from other ISP like Smart? If so what are the extra costs?
    Sorry for intrusive questions, but I really want to know answers to these, if it's not a problem.

raymix wrote: »
    I am about to order Vodafone, too, Broadband only 35€ simply because Eircom is going to be 50€ a month for the same service. 3 questions:
    Was that also your reason for not going with eircom? Are you switching directly from other ISP like Smart? If so what are the extra costs?
    Sorry for intrusive questions, but I really want to know answers to these, if it's not a problem.
    I've been with Vodafone from the start and find them great, wouldn't go near Eircom as they're way too expensive.

Free modem and free installation on 24 month contract and no charge for the new faceplate that needs to be installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I've been with Vodafone from the start and find them great, wouldn't go near Eircom as they're way too expensive.

Free modem and free installation on 24 month contract and no charge for the new faceplate that needs to be installed.

Really??

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Really??
    That's what it says on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The worst thing about this is i guarantee on ADSL2 you were getting 24mb anyway.

Don't see why people like yourself get upgraded first. Should be the last to get fibre.
    Actually, I was stuck on 8mb.....

WORD OF WARNING

When engineer called to install fibre, his first question was whether I had any devices. After the modem was set up, I quickly checked the laptop, putting in the details for the new network, and everything seemed fine. I have an internet radio too, but it's fiddly without the keyboard, so I said I could do that myself.

Engineer left.

Within a minute all I could get on the laptop (MACbook) was the twirling coloured ball. Internet radio wouldn't accept the network. This morning technical support explained that a conflict between the IP4 and IPV6 addresses can cause this problem. I turned off the IPV6 address in network settings, and she changed something on my modem to resolve the conflict. She also said Eircom don't support internet radios, so I've given up on that.

So, my advice is don't let the engineer leave until you are well and truly satisfied that all you're devices work.

And, it took a full day of stress trying to get on top of the problems :confused: so you there's that to bear in mind as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

The modem isn't free it's an extra 12 months on the contract.

Only reason I know is the sister signed up them 3 weeks ago she refused the modem and was given a 12 month contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zerks wrote: »
    Enniscorthy confirmed as going live on 2nd October.

My number gets the thumbs up too brilliant!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 tarakino

Just checked the eircom map:Mahon, Wilton and Little Island are now live! Cork

Feck sky. I've signed up with Vodafone. Will change now but efibre not available until the 23rd October. I went for the €40 pm unlimited 70 meg some sort of calls too. I went for the 2 yr contract which will give me a free VDSL router and engineer install.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

tarakino wrote: »

About a week now it's showing, have you checked your number? Mine says no service yet in my area ~ map disagrees. !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Tullamore pushed out to 2014! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Blanchardstown live on the map but not on the phone number checker

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Signed up with them, said 15 days. Asked for bank details for direct debit and few stupid questions. Weirdly enough, they asked if I have an ADSL modem I can reuse. Ordered their modem anyway, so 12 month contract + 30€ for a VDSL modem, installation is free. Laurels rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

tarakino wrote: »

I think the little island map is wrong. Only one vdsl cabinet installed (and it doesn't have their yellow sticker on it yet), and it would be the one I'd be connected to. Rang them yesterday and they said still no efibre in our area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Just contacted Eircom - my area shows up as efibre enabled since september.
    But it's not so that Map is complete lies - in case anybody was wondering. Also there is no guarantee you will ever get fibre if you live in those areas.

As mentioned before by many posters Eircom have once again gone after the high population density areas that have moved to UPC ages ago to try and get some of their customer base, even though the product they are selling is considerably poorer.

Eircom clearly should have gone after the population in areas where UPC hadn't already got a foothold instead they're spending money on infrastructure that won't be used in UPC areas. Meanwhile people who don't have any alternatives other than dsl or satellite or useless mobile broadband are being ignored - have to hand it to Eircom for stupidity. Once the ESB break into this area they will own it, Eircom are a dinosaur that's on the way out faster than they think.

damienirel wrote: »
    Just contacted Eircom - my area shows up as efibre enabled since september.
    But it's not so that Map is complete lies - in case anybody was wondering. Also there is no guarantee you will ever get fibre if you live in those areas.

As mentioned before by many posters Eircom have once again gone after the high population density areas that have moved to UPC ages ago to try and get some of their customer base, even though the product they are selling is considerably poorer.

Eircom clearly should have gone after the population in areas where UPC hadn't already got a foothold instead they're spending money on infrastructure that won't be used in UPC areas. Meanwhile people who don't have any alternatives other than dsl or satellite or useless mobile broadband are being ignored - have to hand it to Eircom for stupidity. Once the ESB break into this area they will own it, Eircom are a dinosaur that's on the way out faster than they think.
    No UPC bb in my area. eFibre available from next month. No UPC in Wexford town, it has eFibre. A lot of places going fibre don't have access to UPC. If UPC broadband is as bad as their TV service, they can keep it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Onto eircom this morning, the work in Blanchardstown is finished in December. So any time between now and then.

Also if your getting 10Mbps then you’ll get 70Mbps

Advertisement