Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

BobMc wrote: »
    Seen a KN networks van working on a box near my house, about 500mtrs away, wasnt aware there was one so near, this was at 6pm ish, any clues as to what this work typically signals?? sorry for my cluelessness, efibre is showing as available on our exchange now (athlunkard limerick) but from reading some post only one box needs to be active for them to claim that, desperately need to see an improved broadband service in our area as speeds just havent kept pace with available services that need faster bb and we've no UPC

Yeah, thats a load of bs. It isn't just one. They need 40% of the cabinets live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

red_bairn wrote: »
    Yeah, thats a load of bs. It isn't just one. They need 40% of the cabinets live.

But what if 1 cab IS 40%?????:P:P:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

kaizersoze wrote: »

It could only be 100%, 50%, 33% or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

kaizersoze wrote: »

Possible. Some areas only have a handful of cabinets. 1 of 4 :O :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

red_bairn wrote: »
    Possible. Some areas only have a handful of cabinets. 1 of 4 :O :D

I actually would hazzard a guess that most areas have 4 or less cabinets.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Been having problems with my online order for Dundalk which just went live today, got a date of 2/10 to get it installed :) Have to say the guys and gals on the phones are always as helpful as they can be even though the actual product installation can be a pain in the backside!

In Dundalk, Avenue Road area, with Eircom.

Applied today on 1800 303644, no delay answering and process took about 15 minutes. A few things which may be useful for people to know.

They will probably say you have to pay by Direct Debit, but tell them you are an existing customer and they will not insist on that. You will be given a new Eircom account number. A final bill for €0.00 will issue for the existing account number and any arrears will be added to the first fibre bill. There will be a delay of 6/8 weeks so the first bill could be substantial. After that it will be monthly bills even if you are bi monthly at present. New contract for 18 months.

They will ask you to specify morning or afternoon for installation 9 to 1 or 1 to 5. All set to go for me Wednesday afternoon 2nd Oct. I went for the 50 Meg unlimited package but they said the engineer would test for higher speed and they would install 70 Meg for the same price if it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

In Dundalk, Avenue Road area

They will ask you to specify morning or afternoon for installation 9 to 1 or 1 to 5. All set to go for me Wednesday afternoon 2nd Oct. I went for the 50 Meg unlimited package but they said the engineer would test for higher speed and they would install 70 Meg for the same price if it is possible.

Lets us hope this goes smoothly! I am up hoeys lane and they are to call in the am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Applied today on 1800 303644, no delay answering and process took about 15 minutes. A few things which may be useful for people to know.

They will probably say you have to pay by Direct Debit, but tell them you are an existing customer and they will not insist on that. You will be given a new Eircom account number. A final bill for €0.00 will issue for the existing account number and any arrears will be added to the first fibre bill. There will be a delay of 6/8 weeks so the first bill could be substantial. After that it will be monthly bills even if you are bi monthly at present. New contract for 18 months.

could you select the 70mb option on the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

naughto wrote: »
    could you select the 70mb option on the website?

Just checked now and it is greyed out with this message over it:

Sorry, this package is not currently available at your address

I'm sure that wasn't there before. I wasn't expecting to get 70 Meg anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Just checked now and it is greyed out with this message over it:

Sorry, this package is not currently available at your address

I'm sure that wasn't there before. I wasn't expecting to get 70 Meg anyway.

I had the same message thats why I went with Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Just rang them there, I'm located near you, and I was told that i'd have to give DD details again and that they didnt have any of my details on their system (for my security). I was then told that the go live date for my area was 23rd of October.

So much hassle so far with this crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Voda told ne the 23rd too.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

edit: nvm misread...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

At this rate I will have 4G on my phone before I have fibre in my house

Well, just a couple of days after eircom change their map target dates (was September 2013, now 2014) for the Bettystown, I see they have started putting in a box at the roundabout where the Eastham Road connects to the Triton road....roll on 2014 (somewhere between January and December I suppose)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Well, just a couple of days after eircom change their map target dates (was September 2013, now 2014) for the Bettystown, I see they have started putting in a box at the roundabout where the Eastham Road connects to the Triton road....roll on 2014 (somewhere between January and December I suppose)

Have you any idea if that box is mapped? If not would you be so kind as to do so?

See this post for details : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Saw a KN van working near the childers road retail park earlier on!

had Eircom engineer out to look at my DSL after switching back from smart/Digiweb,

He showed me the new Fibre router, looks the business. Nice and slim and has usb ports on it, i assume this is for media sharing... nice :)

He's wasn't sure if KN were sorting the Dundalk roll out or if it was Eircom engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭carveone

mada999 wrote: »
    had Eircom engineer out to look at my DSL after switching back from smart/Digiweb,

My parents have an Eircom letter for Efibre install and are asking me about it. From what others are saying, they install an NTU at the point of entry into the house (old house, it's in under the gas meter under the stairs). But that's all I know - I've no idea if it's fibre from the NTU to the road. But what is after the NTU? Is it Cat5 to a modem? Do the existing phones connect to the NTU? Just wondering about the physical changes necessary. The computer currently connects directly to the modem (wifi was dubious through the number of walls).

Given teething issues I've had with other modems (UPC...), I'm inclined to leave it rather than be locked into an 18 month contract for possibly no benefit and modem hassles. My parents use email and Skype. That's it. 1-2GB/month. Would be nice to have a raise on the current 10GB ceiling but they've only gotten to 60% (after my sister visited!)

Engineer said this morning that it was Fibre from the cab to the road and then copper from the house to the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The NTU is just a new type of phone socket with a built in DSL splitter/filter.

Your phone connect to the filtered output and your new modem connects to the modem socket on the NTU.

The line comes into your house as normal and runs back to the cabinet.

The fibre runs from the cabinet to the exchange. There will be no fibre installed into your house directly.

The only physical changes in your house will be a new, larger phone socket (NTU) and a bit of tidying up of how your extension sockets connect to it.

Usually it's not very big a deal.

At worst they'll install a new phone socket entirely.

The tech they send out will sort it though. Very straight forward stuff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

mada999 wrote: »

He showed me the new Fibre router, looks the business. Nice and slim and has usb ports on it, i assume this is for media sharing... nice :)

He's wasn't sure if KN were sorting the Dundalk roll out or if it was Eircom engineers.

From the ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A User's Guide on which the eircom F1000 VDSL router is based ...
      Page 17 "The Device has two USB ports for sharing via a USB storage device, sharing a printer or connecting a 3G dongle for a WAN backup connection."
      Page 57 "The USB ports (at the left side of the Device) allow you to attach a 3G dongle to wirelessly connect to a 3G network for Internet access. You can have the Device use a 3G WAN connection as a backup."
      Page 185 "The device has a USB port used to share files via a USB stick or a USB hard drive. In the USB Service screens, you can enable file sharing server, media server and printer server."

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

SpaceTime wrote: »

Your phone connect to the filtered output and your new modem connects to the modem socket on the NTU.

The line comes into your house as normal and runs back to the cabinet.

The fibre runs from the cabinet to the exchange. There will be no fibre installed into your house directly.

The only physical changes in your house will be a new, larger phone socket (NTU) and a bit of tidying up of how your extension sockets connect to it.

Usually it's not very big a deal.

At worst they'll install a new phone socket entirely.

The tech they send out will sort it though. Very straight forward stuff really.

I am refurbishing the hall and want to be ready for the new NTU ..
    • Can the technician mount the new NTU on an existing recessed one gang backing box or is the NTU a complete unit which must be surfaced mounted ?
    • Are there screw terminals at the back of the NTU's RJ11 socket which would allow me connect an existing phone extension (after the technician leaves) or must I use the front of the RJ11 socket to patch the new RJ11 to the existing internal phone wiring?

It wold be great if somebody could post a pic of the new NTU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

This is mine sorry about quality

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

pg17 wrote: »
    I am refurbishing the hall and want to be ready for the new NTU ..
    • Can the technician mount the new NTU on an existing recessed one gang backing box or is the NTU a complete unit which must be surfaced mounted ?
    • Are there screw terminals at the back of the NTU's RJ11 socket which would allow me connect an existing phone extension (after the technician leaves) or must I use the front of the RJ11 socket to patch the new RJ11 to the existing internal phone wiring?

It wold be great if somebody could post a pic of the new NTU.

Yes to both. to the first question, and the former with the second question. You can use screw terminals (L1 and L2) to attach extension lines behind the actual faceplate. Filtered like the RJ11 socket is. Leave enough slack for wires behind the faceplate so you can remove the faceplate easily should you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

SpaceTime wrote: »

The line from the NTU to the fibre router, is that still the standard phone cable we use on a DSL router?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

hellboy99 wrote: »
    The line from the NTU to the fibre router, is that still the standard phone cable we use on a DSL router?

Firstly...there's no such thing as a "fibre router" in this rollout, it's a VDSL router. The day when we get fibre to our homes will be a great day...until then we just get copper, so yes is the answer to your question it's a copper cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

hellboy99 wrote: »

The fibre feeds the street cabinets and it's copper wires to you house just like it's always been.

This is Fibre to The Kerb technology not Fibre to The Home.

bealtine wrote: »
    Have you any idea if that box is mapped? If not would you be so kind as to do so?

See this post for details : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

Thanks a million

Yep, took me a while, but done now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭carveone

bealtine wrote: »
    Firstly...there's no such thing as a "fibre router" in this rollout, it's a VDSL router. The day when we get fibre to our homes will be a great day...until then we just get copper, so yes is the answer to your question it's a copper cable

Ah, but which type? From the picture kindly posted by ofcork, the NTU has a RJ11 for phone and an RJ45 for the modem*

This means for my parents house, where the computer is direct connected to the modem, I'll have to run 15m of RJ45 down the hall, up the stairs, around the room and to the modem. I'll pass for the moment ;-)

* I just noticed this seems to be the one in our electronics test lab (NUIM) with "Eircom eFibre plastered" over it. Looks like a little TV - a little over 8" x 7". Kinda large...

Advertisement