Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

carveone wrote: »
    Ah, but which type? From the picture kindly posted by ofcork, the NTU has a RJ11 for phone and an RJ45 for the modem*

This means for my parents house, where the computer is direct connected to the modem, I'll have to run 15m of RJ45 down the hall, up the stairs, around the room and to the modem. I'll pass for the moment ;-)

* I just noticed this seems to be the one in our electronics test lab (NUIM) with "Eircom eFibre plastered" over it. Looks like a little TV - a little over 8" x 7". Kinda large...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86312993&postcount=5550

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Ah, but which type? From the picture kindly posted by ofcork, the NTU has a RJ11 for phone and an RJ45 for the modem*

This means for my parents house, where the computer is direct connected to the modem, I'll have to run 15m of RJ45 down the hall, up the stairs, around the room and to the modem. I'll pass for the moment ;-)

* I just noticed this seems to be the one in our electronics test lab (NUIM) with "Eircom eFibre plastered" over it. Looks like a little TV - a little over 8" x 7". Kinda large...

Powerline adapters. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

I have the same cable rj11 to the modem about 20ft from the socket,both connections are the same i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

So it's not standard phone cable from the NTU to the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

I have standard phone cable from the socket to the router about 20ft in my case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Eircom reps going door to door in Enniscorthy atm selling eFibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

zerks wrote: »
    Eircom reps going door to door in Enniscorthy atm selling eFibre.
    id advise not ordering from them i did two weeks ago, rang eircom to see if i could change the order,amd my order wasent even on there system.so i will be telling any reps to get f1ucked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Just got eFibre in Dundalk

3006505998.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

jaffusmax wrote: »

3006505998.png

nice man where is your closest cabinet?

mada999 wrote: »
    nice man where is your closest cabinet?

Rockfield I am ~500M away so very happy with that speed. Made sure to check ;)

30 mins max it took him. Everything is working phone,ipad, pc, PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Rockfield I am ~500M away so very happy with that speed. Made sure to check ;)

30 mins max it took him. Everything is working phone,ipad, pc, PS3.

Awesome man my install date is the 9th for the Avenue road. Super excited :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

pg17 wrote: »
    I am refurbishing the hall and want to be ready for the new NTU ..
    • Can the technician mount the new NTU on an existing recessed one gang backing box or is the NTU a complete unit which must be surfaced mounted ?
    • Are there screw terminals at the back of the NTU's RJ11 socket which would allow me connect an existing phone extension (after the technician leaves) or must I use the front of the RJ11 socket to patch the new RJ11 to the existing internal phone wiring?

It wold be great if somebody could post a pic of the new NTU.

They can fit onto a standard 1-gang socket box, but they are not flush and will stick out a bit from the wall much like the way some dimmer switches do.

They have to fit onto the incoming line though as the first socket. You can't install the NTU elsewhere with other sockets before it or on bad wiring.

The extension wiring is connected to terminal lugs marked R1 and R2 on the back of the faceplate which contains the filter/splitter. That means that your extension wiring is fully filtered by the NTU and you no longer need micro-filters at each socket.

The whole point of the NTU is to filter all the extension wiring, so it absolutely must be connected to the terminals on the back of the face plate of the NTU. The VDSL2 signals do not go beyond the NTU, so your modem must be connected to the data port (unfiltered socket) on the front marked with a little computer symbol. The other port on the front is marked with a phone symbol and is filtered.

It's a relatively neat job, sticks a little bit out of the wall (maybe 1/2" or so) but it's no worse than a slightly fat wall socket.

Using a flush box will definitely make it a bit slimmer than usual though as you're losing the surface-mount box it normally sits on which is about 1cm deep.

In our house it's like this:

Line comes into the attic. It's connected to CAT5E cable with scotch-lok connectors that crimp onto the wires and do a very good job of it (telecom industry standard).
    The blue pair comes down to the back of the NTU and is where the line connects in ...

Then the orange pair is connected to the filtered R1/R2 ports on the face plate and goes back up to the attic and is connected to the extension wiring providing phone service to the other sockets.

Ours is on a recessed 1-gang socket box which we installed ourselves and they were quite happy to use our CAT5e cable provided they knew it was the first point and was properly installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

3006505998.png

I thought I might be the first one in Dundalk but you beat me to it. I am due for upgrade this afternoon. On the Eircom 8 Meg service, this is my Before.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3006597983.png

Was getting 5.25 down for a long time but it went unstable and Eircom lowered it recently. Apparently the fibre upgrade work disrupted some existing broadband connections. I hope to post my After result later. I am in the Avenue Road area and about 400 metres I think from the nearest cabinet, as the crow flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I thought I might be the first one in Dundalk but you beat me to it. I am due for upgrade this afternoon. On the Eircom 8 Meg service, this is my Before.

Was getting 5.25 down for a long time but it went unstable and Eircom lowered it recently. Apparently the fibre upgrade work disrupted some existing broadband connections. I hope to post my After result later. I am in the Avenue Road area and about 400 metres I think from the nearest cabinet, as the crow flies.

I see on the map that Dundalk isn't live yet. Does your phone number come up on the checker as live? Is the map a piece of p***? Did you have Eircom marketing people at your door or call by phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Morrisseyy

Walking home yesterday I noticed a small green rectangular box at the bottom of my road, with similar stickers on it to the VDSL cabinet (which is about 500m away), any idea what that could be? I'm reasonably certain it wasn't there before the VDSL cab, but not 100% sure. Will try get a picture of it ASAP. It was about 20% of the size of the VDSL cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It quite possibly could be. Google "Eircom cabinet" and you'll get a fair idea of what they look like.

There's only one type at present, so they're all identical.

Edit: Actually, I'll go one better:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80444004&postcount=597

There you go :)

If it doesn't look like the one in that second pic, it's not one. There's only the one version being used.

red_bairn wrote: »
    I see on the map that Dundalk isn't live yet. Does your phone number come up on the checker as live? Is the map a piece of p***? Did you have Eircom marketing people at your door or call by phone?

Up until recently the map said July Sept for Dundalk but that has changed to Oct now. From earlier posts here I know that not all areas of the town can get it so I don't know at what point they can change the map to say Available. I knew from phone calls to Eircom that some cabinets were to go live on 25 Sept and they advised me I could not apply in advance. I applied by phone on that day and I am scheduled for this afternoon a week later.

Eircom have been very attentive to me in the meantime. I got an email confirming and no less that 4 phone messages advising me that I could reschedule up until yesterday if I needed to. And I got their brochure in the post today welcoming me to the fibre service.

On the general point of Eircom service I think there is an impression that they are useless but this is based on the bad experience of some customers who naturally want to air their complaints. But there must be thousands like me who have been with them for years and never had much trouble. I have the internet with them since dial up times and I have probably have had less that 10 short outages. They are expensive but I am comforted by the knowledge that after today I should have a service which is maybe 80 times faster than the 512k which I paid a lot more for a few years back.

On the eircom map my area is considered Blackrock and not due to get it but here I am with efibre!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Morrisseyy wrote: »
    Walking home yesterday I noticed a small green rectangular box at the bottom of my road, with similar stickers on it to the VDSL cabinet (which is about 500m away), any idea what that could be? I'm reasonably certain it wasn't there before the VDSL cab, but not 100% sure. Will try get a picture of it ASAP. It was about 20% of the size of the VDSL cabinet.
    If it was anything less than 100% of the size of a VDSL cabinet it wasn't a VDSL cabinet... Have you seen the pictures in the first post and in the map here?

Edit: Should have refreshed before replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Up until recently the map said July Sept for Dundalk but that has changed to Oct now. From earlier posts here I know that not all areas of the town can get it so I don't know at what point they can change the map to say Available. I knew from phone calls to Eircom that some cabinets were to go live on 25 Sept and they advised me I could not apply in advance. I applied by phone on that day and I am scheduled for this afternoon a week later.

Eircom have been very attentive to me in the meantime. I got an email confirming and no less that 4 phone messages advising me that I could reschedule up until yesterday if I needed to. And I got their brochure in the post today welcoming me to the fibre service.

On the general point of Eircom service I think there is an impression that they are useless but this is based on the bad experience of some customers who naturally want to air their complaints. But there must be thousands like me who have been with them for years and never had much trouble. I have the internet with them since dial up times and I have probably have had less that 10 short outages. They are expensive but I am comforted by the knowledge that after today I should have a service which is maybe 80 times faster than the 512k which I paid a lot more for a few years back.

Hmm, I'm just wondering is it possible for some people in my town to order it then. I know that our cabinet still doesn't seem commissioned but others have their numbers in the system nearer to the town centre.

Dad has been with BT and Eircom, switched back and forth due to price changes but we've had Eircom for most of our time on the net. We had 56k, then 2Mb, then 5/6Mb (8Mb NGB) and now we recently got upgraded to ADSL2+ (10Mb of 24) when I called them up. From what I remember, I don't think my dad has had any grief with them. But I'm puzzled at why our area is slower than Dundalk and other places. We've had the majority of the cabinets in place since June/July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Still waiting in Donabate. Majority of the area went live months ago, tiny stretch in the town, where I am, still not live : /

This is my After result. It has been jumping around a bit.

3007706943.png

This is my After result. It has been jumping around a bit.

3007706943.png

We have got the the fastest draw in town! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

I spoke to Eircom today who said Carlow will be ready to go on the 24th (they'll be taking orders from that date).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I finally seem to be able get this thing installed!

Any advice on whether to order online or phone them up to get it installed quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

SpaceTime wrote: »

If it doesn't look like the one in that second pic, it's not one. There's only the one version being used.

There are different cabs around Dundrum/Sandyford and afaik around Wexford too, but overall the Huwei cabs are the ones they are using now

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

On the eircom map my area is considered Blackrock and not due to get it but here I am with efibre!

Do you mind me asking wat part of dundalk your in? Im on blackrock rd but no sign of cabs around but im hopeful that by xmas ill be sorted

Mgit wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking wat part of dundalk your in? Im on blackrock rd but no sign of cabs around but im hopeful that by xmas ill be sorted

Hoey's Lane, hooked up to the Rockfield cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

At long last after too many false dawns,my install is booked in for next week:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

Has anyone heard of anyone getting efibre installed living further from the exchange, say up to 2km from the nearest cabinet?

I know someone mentioned in this thread a couple of months ago that they were preparing to enable some slower profiles for people further from the cabinet.

I am currently 1.7km from my closest cabinet. I am in a green area on the coverage map since launch.

It is not possible to find my address in the address finder. I hope this is not what eircom are using to determine eligibility.

Although the vdsl capacity at this distance, it would still be much higher than the 3MB adsl I'm using at the moment!

Eircom are not forthcoming with any details :mad:

Advertisement