Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

My area is mapped by Eircom as eFibre now available from the Tralee exchange. Vodafone line check says my line can do up to 70megs. So for the 3rd or 4th time I registered my interest on the Vodafone site. Got a call this afternoon from Vodafone who went on to inform me my line could do no better than what it was at the moment (1Mb). He went on to say nothing was going to change in the next month & maybe sometime early next year something might change. So much for coverage maps & line checks:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

My area is mapped by Eircom as eFibre now available from the Tralee exchange. Vodafone line check says my line can do up to 70megs. So for the 3rd or 4th time I registered my interest on the Vodafone site. Got a call this afternoon from Vodafone who went on to inform me my line could do no better than what it was at the moment (1Mb). He went on to say nothing was going to change in the next month & maybe sometime early next year something might change. So much for coverage maps & line checks:(

What cab ore you on?
    It may not be live yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

ShevY wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of anyone getting efibre installed living further from the exchange, say up to 2km from the nearest cabinet?

I know someone mentioned in this thread a couple of months ago that they were preparing to enable some slower profiles for people further from the cabinet.

I am currently 1.7km from my closest cabinet. I am in a green area on the coverage map since launch.

It is not possible to find my address in the address finder. I hope this is not what eircom are using to determine eligibility.

Although the vdsl capacity at this distance, it would still be much higher than the 3MB adsl I'm using at the moment!

Eircom are not forthcoming with any details :mad:

still being tested.... think results so far are circa 8meg at the 2k mark

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Any idea when North part of Dundalk centre finally goes live? Vodafone customer care lied to me it's active just to get me to sign up and hand over DD details, probably getting paid commission or something (they called me back after I signed up trough website).
    This waiting is killing me ... livin in a stone age, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

raymix wrote: »
    Any idea when North part of Dundalk centre finally goes live? Vodafone customer care lied to me it's active just to get me to sign up and hand over DD details, probably getting paid commission or something (they called me back after I signed up trough website).
    This waiting is killing me ... livin in a stone age, lol.
    I was told the 23rd of this month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

KN were busy pulling red subducting thru a duct over a bridge (a different bridge to the one originally planned, due to no space in the duct and it due to be rebuilt) in Donegal Town here today. Briefly spoke to one of the lads - he reckoned they're nearly finished their end of the work. Seems another team then comes to run the fibre itself etc.

They were also busy doing what seems to be foundations for cabinets near the Vocational School and up in Drumrooske. Sadly, don't see any ongoing work to install a cab near me in Ardeskin. Will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

byte wrote: »
    KN were busy pulling red subducting thru a duct over a bridge (a different bridge to the one originally planned, due to no space in the duct and it due to be rebuilt) in Donegal Town here today. Briefly spoke to one of the lads - he reckoned they're nearly finished their end of the work. Seems another team then comes to run the fibre itself etc.

They were also busy doing what seems to be foundations for cabinets near the Vocational School and up in Drumrooske. Sadly, don't see any ongoing work to install a cab near me in Ardeskin. Will have to wait and see.

Ah, yeah, I remember you mentioning this earlier on. It's good to see they got it sorted in the end. Fingers-crossed that you get one out there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Tried the phone number checker and told its not available, its down as live on the map and month-month on the checker.

So rang the number on the checker and told its the wrong number, so rang another number and basically told it should be live at the end of September, but I cant get it in my house at the minute.

Funny how one person can say the work is ongoing till December and another cant tell you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

kaizersoze wrote: »
    What cab ore you on?
    It may not be live yet.
    That's the prob - the nearest cab is 2.2km north from me & they show coverage a further 2km beyond where I live. My issue with Eircom & Vodafone is that the information provided on their online portals has been in error since the launch of eFibre & in addition to that their c/s staff cannot provide any substantial info as to when their companies plans will conform to their online claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

By the looks of the maps they're drawn based on exchanges not cabinets. So its very much guesswork whether you'll be enabled or no even if you're within a marked zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

I see blackrock co. louth go live on the map has changed to jan - mar 14 now. Not suprised as no cabs installed yet so a go live in dec didnt seem realistic but its frustrating waiting with a 2mb line and even after the wait i cant be sure my estate will be connected to a cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Gorey and Enniscorthy on the map should be live on October but beside map is table what is saying November.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That's the prob - the nearest cab is 2.2km north from me & they show coverage a further 2km beyond where I live. My issue with Eircom & Vodafone is that the information provided on their online portals has been in error since the launch of eFibre & in addition to that their c/s staff cannot provide any substantial info as to when their companies plans will conform to their online claims.

The maps display the entire exchange footprint. In most cases the VDSL footprint will be much smaller. 2.2km would be pushing it, even when the extended reach program kicks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

It's fantastic the way they can change the times at which fibre is installed in areas. Must be great to be able to just say ''Kilcock is due in November, ahh sure we'll just push that back to March 2014 because we can''.

Sooner the better this cancerous company goes out of business.

It's fantastic the way they can change the times at which fibre is installed in areas. Must be great to be able to just say ''Kilcock is due in November, ahh sure we'll just push that back to March 2014 because we can''.

Sooner the better this cancerous company goes out of business.

Well they are still ahead on their schedule. But I understand your frustration, they should have just left it at original dates, i.e. Greystones, Dec - 2013. They pushed it back from Jul-Sept to Oct and still no sign of them around here. They have been having plenty of issues. You only have to go through this thread to find out some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Tell you somewhere is live and if you didn't read boards you wouldn't know that means 40% of the area is live.

Id say if they gave people a realistic time for it to be ready to order, then most people would be happy.

Not its live on x and if you number isn't live your told no you cant order till we don't know when but hang on in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

red_bairn wrote: »
    Well they are still ahead on their schedule. But I understand your frustration, they should have just left it at original dates, i.e. Greystones, Dec - 2013. They pushed it back from Jul-Sept to Oct and still no sign of them around here. They have been having plenty of issues. You only have to go through this thread to find out some of them.

They make more than enough money to fix said problems in adequate time. They are a company renowned for cutting corners and taking the easy road. What do they expect?

Anybody had a look at the map? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

yea just seen that they updated it for 2014. Well for the first 6 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Mine says available all of a sudden.

• Advertisement

Mine says available all of a sudden.

same....as do the majority of exchanges. The question is though, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Morrisseyy

same....as do the majority of exchanges. The question is though, is this true?

My exchange is listen as available now but no luck on the phone number or any addresses around here :/

I see you're in greystones, is your house coming up as available? I'm on the newtown exchange myself and I know a good few areas in newtown are live so hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.

Morrisseyy wrote: »
    My exchange is listen as available now but no luck on the phone number or any addresses around here :/

I see you're in greystones, is your house coming up as available? I'm on the newtown exchange myself and I know a good few areas in newtown are live so hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.

Not yet. But there are a few places ready in Greystones. The Carrig Clinic shows up! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It's looking like a lot of the exchanges have reached the magic 40% of cabinets enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tarakino

my area has been live according to the map for the last 2 weeks but something has changed today, when I put my phone number on the line checker (check for a free upgrade) it gives me a date of November 1st...I hope it's true though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dunshaughlin is now suddenly gone from November 2013 to 'live' on the map, this is not true as work hasnt even started, when you type a number in to the checker it then says January-March 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

How accurate is the vodafone phone number checker? They say I can get 70mb now. Ill ring them tomorrow and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

bush wrote: »
    How accurate is the vodafone phone number checker? They say I can get 70mb now. Ill ring them tomorrow and see.
    if its on that then its good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

bush wrote: »

Not very, it says I can get it but I know for a fact I can't. Try the Eircom site instead, their site is more accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Happy to see the efibre map got a proper update, my area went from July-Sept to 2014 and now back to November 2013 which seems about right given the amount of installed cabs around town.

Advertisement