Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Map says it's live in my area but putting in number it tells me not yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Vodafone website says fibre is available in Enniscorthy. I rang and they told me its actually going live on the 9th. She said the lowest my speed should go should be 43mb and up to 70mb and 20mb up. Cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bush wrote: »
    Vodafone website says fibre is available in Enniscorthy. I rang and they told me its actually going live on the 9th. She said the lowest my speed should go should be 43mb and up to 70mb and 20mb up. Cant wait.

Got my new router and engineer is installing mine in the morning.It's already live in Enniscorthy.70mb for me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

bush wrote: »

Another poster is getting installed tomorrow in Enniscorthy. Vf told me my cabinet won't be ready until the 23rd. The cabinet is installed and powered but not commissioned yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

zerks wrote: »
    Got my new router and engineer is installing mine in the morning.It's already live in Enniscorthy.70mb for me:)
    Also in enniscorthy and I can't get it here myself yet :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Eircom guy told me cable is in place but council were holding it up looking for money???? Didn't know what to make of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

efb wrote: »
    Eircom guy told me cable is in place but council were holding it up looking for money???? Didn't know what to make of it

Lol. Why do they need money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Wouldn't surprise me with county councillors lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

red_bairn wrote: »
    Anybody had a look at the map? :eek:

yeah, unfortunately my area has been pushed out till Jan/Mar of next year. At least I can stop checking now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

syboit wrote: »
    yeah, unfortunately my area has been pushed out till Jan/Mar of next year. At least I can stop checking now :)

They have changed the map once again. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Eircom & all utility companies that want to place cabs/boxes in public areas and paths have to apply to CoCo's for permission. It's called wayleave.
    That 'wayleave' fee is a known fact and Eircom know it well.
    It is charged by every council.

More than likely it's the location of one or more of the cabs that's the hold up rather than the fee.

In any case, dealing with wayleaves, permissions and local authority is the responsibility of KN Networks as part of their contract, not Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

red_bairn wrote: »
    They have changed the map once again. :rolleyes:

Yup, Mahon November 13th gone from available. It's taking the gloss off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jackaroo2012

Galway City is now pushed out to next year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Will VF be selling the extended reach fiber like Eircom do when it gets launched?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Will VF be selling the extended reach fiber like Eircom do when it gets launched?

The extended reach profiles will be on the system and available to all resellers if they decide to sell them. Don't see why Vodafone wouldn't.

Tell your local TD what's going on,aren't the govt. pushing broadband as a necessity? Obviously some councillor who knows shag all about broadband has gotten a bright idea of "let's charge Eircom for running cables in Eircom's ducting".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

This rollout has gone to crap.

Balbriggan for example, has cabinets almost all in place for many months now. But many of them are not operational.

Ironically now if you are near an exchange and not connected to a cabinet, you cannot get vdsl speeds. Surely these customers would be the cheapest to upgrade, since Eircom don't need to pay any civils or for an actual cabinet. All they have to do is put some equipment on a shelf.

The line checker is actually getting worse. It now frequently hangs or just talks about not being able to check a number.

Eircom's staff are giving our false info on completion dates (two numbers I am checking were promised to be live by end of September).

It's not surprising that Eircom would mess this up. It's just disappointing after such a great start.

All very frustrating,

wexdevil wrote: »
    Also in enniscorthy and I can't get it here myself yet :(

As usual,the Eastern side of the town gets left behind,no cabs over there due to the way cables were originally run to the main exchange,Eircom are trying to come up with a solution.

Anyhow,I'm up & running. 48Mb/s down & 13 up so far (wireless connection).Installer told me to give it another few hours to test again as speeds will increase,he wasn't sure as to why it's below 50 on original install but said it's been the norm on all the ones he did.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

kaizersoze wrote: »
    The extended reach profiles will be on the system and available to all resellers if they decide to sell them. Don't see why Vodafone wouldn't.

would ADSL2+ be not better than fibre when it comes to extended reach beyond 1km?

currently im on 9 meg and almost 3km from my exchange, but when the fibre is eventually active in my area, I will be almost 1.8km from the nearest cabinet which will offer me speeds no greater than 7meg which is slower than what I have right now. (thats if they even bother to connect me to a fibre cabinet at all) If they had an ADSL2+ in that cabinet as well as the fibre I would propably get about 14/16meg judging by the adsl2+ speed and distance charts.

Totally agree the fibre rollout has gone to the wall, delays of up to 6 months in many locations including mine with no sign of any work even started other than the old cabinets numbered with blue paint and a similiar number painted into the ground beside the cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

In theory, those cabinets also support ADSL2+ so, they could provide extended reach ADSL2+ from them I guess.

They're probably more interested in providing VDSL2 though at the moment.

Similar cabinets could provide a very good solution for long-reach lines though.

Like if you had cabinets on the edge of towns / cities with fibre that had a combination of VDSL2 for near-by houses and ADSL2+ for longer lines, you'd improve everyone's services for a wider foot print.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Hmm,

if only the government would take on a roll out of fibre like they did for the water meters. They could make savage money. I'd have no probs paying 100 every 2 months for 70meg bb.

Gonzo wrote: »
    would ADSL2+ be not better than fibre when it comes to extended reach beyond 1km?

currently im on 9 meg and almost 3km from my exchange, but when the fibre is eventually active in my area, I will be almost 1.8km from the nearest cabinet which will offer me speeds no greater than 7meg which is slower than what I have right now. (thats if they even bother to connect me to a fibre cabinet at all) If they had an ADSL2+ in that cabinet as well as the fibre I would propably get about 14/16meg judging by the adsl2+ speed and distance charts.

Totally agree the fibre rollout has gone to the wall, delays of up to 6 months in many locations including mine with no sign of any work even started other than the old cabinets numbered with blue paint and a similiar number painted into the ground beside the cabinet.
    That's quiet possible. You have a bit of a conundrum all right.
    The people that will probably benefit the most will be those currently having broadband on the ADSL2+ extended reach and getting 1-2 meg at best.

Every exchange area is different. On my exchange there are many 4-5km from the exchange but ~2km from a cab. They will get ~7 down/1 up and probably greater stability. That will be a big improvement for them.
    Praetorian wrote:
    The roll-out seems to have hit a few hurdles all right since moving out of the cities and getting to the smaller urban area exchanges. There's more to deal with like local authorities and maybe poorer eircom infrastructure that hasn't been upgraded in years but needs doing now (eg duct capacity, older copper cabs etc).

My exchange is delayed. I know why but not at liberty to say but it's not all eircom/KN's fault.
    The conflicting info some are getting is frustrating though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Praetorian wrote: »

I will not argue it has gone crap for some but it has also gone well for many!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

zerks wrote: »
    As usual,the Eastern side of the town gets left behind,no cabs over there due to the way cables were originally run to the main exchange,Eircom are trying to come up with a solution.

Anyhow,I'm up & running. 48Mb/s down & 13 up so far (wireless connection).Installer told me to give it another few hours to test again as speeds will increase,he wasn't sure as to why it's below 50 on original install but said it's been the norm on all the ones he did.
    I live fairly close to the town center but its a dam shame I can't get it yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mustard1972

a few houses around me are less than 800m from the cab and eircom will not provide efibre to them. mixed with those houses that can't get it are many others who have efibre already.
    Eircom refuse to fix the obviously poor lines on those that they say can't get efibre. even though their next door neighbours can get it.
    I wouldn't hold out much hope with extended reach at all.
    When is it scheduled for anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

What I cant understand is that the map says Dundalk is Live, but almost half the town is not, my estate has one new cabinet and they havent done the other although it is down to be done.

Why do one in an estate and not go the further 800 metres and get the other one done...

Methinks a lot of us in Dundalk will be waiting a while !

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

With the extended reach profiles, will that have any positive effect on speeds for those already on eFibre? e.g. I am currently getting 24Mbits and am around 800 metres from the cabinet. Will that speed increase when these new profiles are in place?

LFCFan wrote: »
    With the extended reach profiles, will that have any positive effect on speeds for those already on eFibre? e.g. I am currently getting 24Mbits and am around 800 metres from the cabinet. Will that speed increase when these new profiles are in place?

No. Extended reach will allow them to sell fibre on lines over 1km in length out to a max of 2km. Vectoring should help boost your speeds you when it's released.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What I cant understand is that the map says Dundalk is Live, but almost half the town is not, my estate has one new cabinet and they havent done the other although it is down to be done.

Why do one in an estate and not go the further 800 metres and get the other one done...

Methinks a lot of us in Dundalk will be waiting a while !

Live = 40%+ Remember!

It depends each site. The other cab may have something preventing an easy VDSL2 expansion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

ED E wrote: »
    Live = 40%+ Remember!

It depends each site. The other cab may have something preventing an easy VDSL2 expansion.

I didnt know that, but there is power there literally a sub station around 50 feet in front of it and also the sub station and esb lines updated.

Tis strange as personally I would do area block by block but rationality is not their forte ;-)

Advertisement