Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I didnt know that, but there is power there literally a sub station around 50 feet in front of it and also the sub station and esb lines updated.

Tis strange as personally I would do area block by block but rationality is not their forte ;-)

When its a job of running lines its not always as simple as it looks AFAIK(Im no linesman). Theyve had to pull old copper in some places to lay the fibre for the new cab. If there's a full duct to the current cab, all in use, they'd have to lay a totally new duct or take all the customers on that cab off for a week or two while they're all set up for fibre.

That cab could also be fed from the other side where no new works have been done yet. Only the crews involved know these kinds of ins and outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

claytonie wrote: »
    The first bill is probably €90 as its €45x2 (one month service and second month) upfront. The ultimate should be €45 for first 6 months and €60 thereafter.

You were exactly right, October bill came and it's only €45 total. Not bad for 70Mb/15Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Can anyone who is signing with Eircom in nearest future ask if you can still apply for 70/15 without phone line for €40/month even after 6 months? It's not on website, but their resellers in local phone stores says it's possible. It's only a fiver on top of Vodafone's offer but without a sketchy FUP.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What I cant understand is that the map says Dundalk is Live, but almost half the town is not, my estate has one new cabinet and they havent done the other although it is down to be done.

Why do one in an estate and not go the further 800 metres and get the other one done...

Methinks a lot of us in Dundalk will be waiting a while !

Just to annoy you further, sorry. Installed 2nd October and has settled down at 47/13. But it's always nice to have something to look forward to. I'm now wondering when the vectoring upgrade will happen.

3020734727.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Eircom press announcement indicates "Donabate as complete, phase I". Sitting in Donabate village with still no possibility of Fibre.

Nothing on the horizon for the next two years. Coming from 150mb UPC, I have to say, it is a stain on what is a lovely area, it's no wonder it struggles for business. Tonight I'm getting less then 1mbps, and can do **** all online.

Broadband is a critical part of my life, and my lord, will it be a massive part in terms of me picking a new residence. If there is not UPC 150mb, I'm simply not interested.

It's absolutely disgusting that I pay €67 for a service today, I was receiving in the late 90's early 00's. Scandalous.

When my contract ends with Magnet, I'll be looking for a pretty substantial offer or will be moving somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

TheDoc wrote: »
    Eircom press announcement indicates "Donabate as complete, phase I". Sitting in Donabate village with still no possibility of Fibre.

Nothing on the horizon for the next two years. Coming from 150mb UPC, I have to say, it is a stain on what is a lovely area, it's no wonder it struggles for business. Tonight I'm getting less then 1mbps, and can do **** all online.

Broadband is a critical part of my life, and my lord, will it be a massive part in terms of me picking a new residence. If there is not UPC 150mb, I'm simply not interested.

It's absolutely disgusting that I pay €67 for a service today, I was receiving in the late 90's early 00's. Scandalous.

When my contract ends with Magnet, I'll be looking for a pretty substantial offer or will be moving somewhere else.

unfortunately this is how it is all over Ireland once you are outside an urban area, the eircom fibre rollout map is completely misleading as vast areas of many exchanges that appear to be enabled or due to be enabled over the next year will have no fibre as Eircom mostly situate the cabinets in urban streets and housing estates. FTTC is the perfect solution to deliver decent broadband to those who need it in countryside areas but sadly most country folk will never see it.

Even when the extended reach happens with speeds of up to 7meg, thats ok for now but in a few years time 8meg will be very slow.

If fast, decent broadband is needed for your business then there really is no other option but to move to an urban area with UPC or at least move to an address where fast fibre is guaranteed. Ive read here before that FTTC can be installed into small cabinets near electricty polls, that can serve rural areas with only 30 lines or so but Eircom have no plans to handle this afaik.

Those in the countryside need to do a vermont and lay their own.

fibrehorse.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

Anyone got the update spreadsheet that has locations etc for the rollout ?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

I have the one from June

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Fiber installed and everything is amazing :D

Before

jEBCZ7d.png

After

NvnNq2y.png

I think i am about 600m away from the Cabinet :D really happy now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Gonzo it really isn't surprising that Eircom are targeting urban and semi-urban areas first.

These are the low hanging fruit and the most profitable areas, so of course Eircom are going to target them first.

I know that is very frustrating and of little comfort for those living in more rural areas, but that is the reality of rural life.

However there is some hope, this rollout is going astonishingly fast, as a long time watcher of Eircom (15 years now!) I'm shocked how fast and relatively smoothly this rollout is going. The reason this is good, is because the quicker Eircom get urban areas done, the quicker they will then turn their attention to rural areas.

There are a few ways that they might help target more rural areas:
    - The reach extended version of VDSL2+ out to 2km will help
    - Vectoring will help to give faster speeds and more stable connections.
    - The cabs are cheap enough to install in even relatively small villages.
    - It would be nice if they also offered reach extended ADSL2+ from these cabs, which would reduce many people in rural areas distance to the exchange and thus give a faster and more stable speed then they currently get.
    - Mini cabs that are mounted on poles might bring VDSL2 to most people in rural areas.

The last point might require some government funding to reach 100% penetration like the government up in Northern Ireland achieved.

The good news is that it is looking like Eircom now have a good platform and technology to bring decent high speed broadband to everyone in Ireland in time.

Just patients is needed.

The other good news will be when Eircom rollout their IPTV service. This will be nice new extra revenue for Eircom and it will spur them to want to give as good a connection to as many people as possible, so those people can benefit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    Fiber installed and everything is amazing :D

Before

jEBCZ7d.png

After

NvnNq2y.png

I think i am about 600m away from the Cabinet :D really happy now

Sweet :-) , what's your location ?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Sweet :-) , what's your location ?

Dundalk on the Avenue Road :D

bk wrote: »
    Great info

Am I correct in saying UPC have a similar approach with on pole fibre terminations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

ED E wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying UPC have a similar approach with on pole fibre terminations?

UPC's a hybrid fibre-coax network.

Basically you've cabinets dotted around the upgraded areas which are fed by fibre and then a run of high-quality coaxial cable goes along a particular street / area with each house tapping into that.

So, they don't actually need to run an individual line to each home.

Coax also has the advantage of being designed for high-bandwidth television traffic, so it's ideal for broadband internet traffic. So, you actually generally get exactly the speed you're paying for.

VDSL2 is running over copper phone lines which are just twisted pair and the signal drops off with distance quite rapidly. That means you need more fibre cabinets than UPC would need to achieve similar levels of service.

Also, the HFC network UPC use would be capable of delivering much higher speeds than VDSL2. You'd really only be able to beat it on speed with pure fibre-to-home.

VDSL2 is not a bad solution though and for most people speeds of 40 to 100Mbit/s will suffice for quite a while yet.

I'm aware of the differences between Cable and DSL, just wasnt sure where the fibre was being terminated. UPC fitted new units to the poles when the area was upgraded, but they must just be Coax junctions like the nipples they install on the eaves of homes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Carlow is now marked as eFibre enabled, it said October before.
    Now all I need is for Sky to launch fibre!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

byte wrote: »
    KN were busy pulling red subducting thru a duct over a bridge (a different bridge to the one originally planned, due to no space in the duct and it due to be rebuilt) in Donegal Town here today. Briefly spoke to one of the lads - he reckoned they're nearly finished their end of the work. Seems another team then comes to run the fibre itself etc.

They were also busy doing what seems to be foundations for cabinets near the Vocational School and up in Drumrooske. Sadly, don't see any ongoing work to install a cab near me in Ardeskin. Will have to wait and see.
    Further to this, they have eFibre cabinets installed - 1 in Drumrooske, and curiously 2 up near the school (perhaps the school itself gets a cab to itself for decent speeds?)

On my own plight, I'm pleased to see that there are orange KN fencing things around where my nearby standard cabinet is, as well as at the hospital further up the road. I didn't get a chance to go up and nosy or take pics, though I'd well imagine it's for fibre cabs to sit alongside the existing ones. w00t! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

byte wrote: »
    Further to this, they have eFibre cabinets installed - 1 in Drumrooske, and curiously 2 up near the school (perhaps the school itself gets a cab to itself for decent speeds?)

By any chance did you map them?
    Thanks...

Details here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

bealtine wrote: »
    By any chance did you map them?
    Thanks...

Details here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1
    Not yet, bealtine, though I planned to when the others are done. However, I will stick in those 3 I mentioned over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

ED E wrote: »
    I'm aware of the differences between Cable and DSL, just wasnt sure where the fibre was being terminated. UPC fitted new units to the poles when the area was upgraded, but they must just be Coax junctions like the nipples they install on the eaves of homes.

Unlikely. They could be in-line amps for coax.
    The fibre cabinets they use are quite large.

Usual layout for those : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HFC_Network_Diagram.svg

Although the technology is changing rapidly too so they could have gotten smaller.. Hard to know!

UPC are definitely moving towards 'deep optical' networks in some markets, so perhaps they have started doing that here. That would involve lots of small optical nodes closer to end users.

AFAIK: that's their current supplier http://www.teleste.com/solutions/broadband-network/deep-fibre

You'll find quite a bit of info on how those networks work in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

I believe the extended reach trials Eircom are carrying out are nearly complete
    From what I hear they will push on an extra 600 mtrs so if anyone is close to a cabinet then the first 600 to 700 mtrs will see speeds up
    from 50 megs down to 20 megs and for the final 600 mtrs speeds up to 8 megs.
    Therefore people who are within 1.6 km from a cabinet will have a minimum of 8 megs.
    Also there are trials been carried out i believe in the north west at the moment testing fibre on overhead lines
    They are taking the most outer reach subscriber on a main line and heading back in 500 mtre sections with plans to provide something identical
    to a termination point on a pole .
    So from once all the main towns are complete then resources will consentrate on rural areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

mobil 222 wrote: »
    I believe the extended reach trials Eircom are carrying out are nearly complete
    From what I hear they will push on an extra 600 mtrs so if anyone is close to a cabinet then the first 600 to 700 mtrs will see speeds up
    from 50 megs down to 20 megs and for the final 600 mtrs speeds up to 8
    megs.
    Therefore people who are within 1.6 km from a cabinet will have a minimum of 8 megs.
    Also there are trials been carried out i believe in the north west at the moment testing fibre on overhead lines
    They are taking the most outer reach subscriber on a main line and heading back in 500 mtre sections with plans to provide something identical
    to a termination point on a pole .
    So from once all the main towns are complete then resources will consentrate on rural areas

Whoa! Thanks for the info. Either I'm really tired at the moment or you just wrote 1.6km instead of 1.2km...(600m + 600m)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

An update on the eircom Map for Bettystown. I was showing 2014....now shows Jan-March 2014, it's getting more precise, although I have been here before

An update on the eircom Map for Bettystown. I was showing 2014....now shows Jan-March 2014, it's getting more precise, although I have been here before

Well they started there quite recently (in Eircom terms). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

I was told October 24th. I might give them a buzz and see.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Unlikely. They could be in-line amps for coax.
    The fibre cabinets they use are quite large.

Usual layout for those : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HFC_Network_Diagram.svg

Thats them I'd say, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

brophs wrote: »
    I was told October 24th. I might give them a buzz and see.

I gave them a buzz there and they're taking orders from the 23rd October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

brophs wrote: »
    I gave them a buzz there and they're taking orders from the 23rd October.

Not through sky. I rang sky and had to explain to the rep how the installation was done!! He hadn't a clue.

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    Not through sky. I rang sky and had to explain to the rep how the installation was done!! He hadn't a clue.

Sky aren't on the FTTC scheme.

Advertisement