Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

red_bairn wrote: »
    They usually lie and tell people they can have a certain package at a cheaper price than online just to get that commission. ;)

Ah, yes. I remember some cúnt from Eircom telling my dad that fiber was available in my area back in May even though it said July on the roll-out page. I only joined Sky 3 months prior to that and I had to break my contract with Eircom to join Sky.

It was only made available here two weeks ago but I don't even have a fiber cabinet beside my normal cabinet at the top of my estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Word of warning....Don't buy/sign up to anything from reps at the door.

+1000000000. If you want to order, ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Word of warning....Don't buy/sign up to anything from reps at the door.

I second that!!!!

A sales rep once cancelled my online order I made at my door on his ipad and said he would fast track my order!

Took me 2 months to get DSL and eircom tried to shift blame on me for doubling up on orders. They messed with the wrong bull I brought it all the way to comreg until they admitted their sales rep cancelled my order just to get a sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Does anyone know how to set up the PSN with it so you get a nat type 1. Had that beforehand, but I'm stuck on nat type 3 with the fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

same was told that no company does stand alone fiber by the rep at the door.
    signed up to eircom at 50 a month,then i see vodafone do it rang up to cancel the order no order on the system,i had to wait untill the order was but on the system b 4 i could cancle it.i now have it cancled but they have blocked the uan number so i cant order of vodafone.
    i have being told that they block it for 25 days so i will be with out broadband from tomorrow untill god knows when.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

byte wrote: »
    Further to this, they have eFibre cabinets installed - 1 in Drumrooske, and curiously 2 up near the school (perhaps the school itself gets a cab to itself for decent speeds?)

On my own plight, I'm pleased to see that there are orange KN fencing things around where my nearby standard cabinet is, as well as at the hospital further up the road. I didn't get a chance to go up and nosy or take pics, though I'd well imagine it's for fibre cabs to sit alongside the existing ones. w00t! :D
    There is now a fibre cab at the location near me, as well as further over the road near the hospital.

I've mapped them on the fibre rollout map, though it's probably wrong! :) I was gonna give them all the cabinet numbers, but the addresses for some of the ones listed make no sense, so I'll have to get closer to them and see the yellow label numbers stuck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

red_bairn wrote: »
    As said before on here, UPC use coaxial into the house and Eircom uses the copper line into the house. If you don't have the line into the house you can't get fibre unless you have a phone line put in.
    Oh yeah I'm aware of the differences! *plays electrical engineer card* It's just the two companies seem to run different protocols when looking for permission to do internal modifications!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 youguessedit

Has anyone in the Christchurch Place/Werburgh Street area been able to get eFibre? Their map shows eFibre now available for the area covered by the Dolphin's Barn exchange but when I check availability using my phone number it says I'm not in a fibre-enabled area.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

jeffk wrote: »
    Has anyone in Blanchardstown got it??

Yep. Well, I'm in Clonsilla but covered by Blanch exchange.

On a 50Mbps package and seeing 48Mbps/12Mbps (down/up) on speed tests so happy out! (New cabinet is next door to my house so decent speed expected)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Codpeas wrote: »
    Yep. Well, I'm in Clonsilla but covered by Blanch exchange.

On a 50Mbps package and seeing 48Mbps/12Mbps (down/up) on speed tests so happy out! (New cabinet is next door to my house so decent speed expected)

Good and suppose bad to know someone has it in the area,just have to wait two more months or so for the work to finish :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

At one point there was an Excel Spreadsheet going around that had all the timeframes and schedule breakdown for the exchanges and the cabinets.....deos anyone have the latest version of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just had my order for fibre with VF cancelled, have to wait and reorder it now on the 24th, don't know what's going on and don't think anyone in VF know either :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Just had my order for fibre with VF cancelled, have to wait and reorder it now on the 24th, don't know what's going on and don't think anyone in VF know either :mad:

did you give them your UAN number? Unless you are upgrading from regular Vodafone BB, the order will not go trough without it. Found this out the hard way. And afaik, it'll be 25 days after you hand it over, you can find UAN on your BB bill.

raymix wrote: »
    did you give them your UAN number? Unless you are upgrading from regular Vodafone BB, the order will not go trough without it. Found this out the hard way. And afaik, it'll be 25 days after you hand it over, you can find UAN on your BB bill.

So, if I switch from Sky to Vodafone, it will take me 25 days?

I remember something about UAN numbers when I switched from Eircom to Sky in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

So, if I switch from Sky to Vodafone, it will take me 25 days?

I remember something about UAN numbers when I switched from Eircom to Sky in January.

UAN is used to transfer your phone line, I believe. It's like if you were to transfer an account to someone else.
    Here's the story:
    Ordered VF fibre 2 weeks ago, they asked for DD details, gave them a call this monday to ask when engie is coming over, they said I never gave them UAN, so process did not go trough and it will be 25 days from the moment I'll hand UAN to them. So I just asked to cancel the whole thing, clearly working for commission, that's not very professional.
    But as to why the number 25, I've no clue, sorry. Some people gets their fibre within first week. Hellboy is also in Dundalk, so he might be also affected by this, if he is close in my area, which will be enabled next month, only (NW)

raymix wrote: »
    Already with Vodafone, they don't know what they're at with dates, can't get a straight answer from them half the time, they're saying one thing and Eircom saying another, then VF are blaming Eircom... This rate I'd be as well leaving VF and going back to Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Was down in one of the phone provider shops in Douglas inquiring why we don't have fibre yet even though all around Douglas they do.:confused:

Anyway he mentioned that he heard that the developer in Mount Oval is holding up matters, some argument with Eircom with the small bit of digging they might have to or something. :mad:

Anybody hear any different before I start calling Oflynn's, I know they have pulled the fiber into the estate they were at that last summer I am sure. The best BB I can get is 5mb down so I am looking forward to the fibre

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

when i was trying to get fiber i asked about data extension kit with vodafone and i think he said it would cost 60euro is this right.
    did any one else get the data extension kit?

naughto wrote: »
    when i was trying to get fiber i asked about data extension kit with vodafone and i think he said it would cost 60euro is this right.
    €60 is correct

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I'm starting to loose my patience at this stage ,
    • Im 350-400 Mtrs from my nearest cabinet, following the ducting along the road from plans obtained from the builder !
    • Out of 72 houses in my Estate 12 of us cant get eFibre 50-59 , 71-72
    • My Landline used to be capable of 5-8 MB always when I was with BT, but moved to WiMax when VF took them over
    • Eircom now tell me its only good for 2MB
    • This tells me there must be some type of fault on the line,
    • I dont have a landline or phone number with WiMax and cant get Eircom to check the line for faults as there not my ISP !
    • Im trying to find out what going on with my line and why I can get it eFibre but there is not a snowballs chance in hell of getting to speak with anyone from the networks team to get an answer.

What are my options ?
    • Is there such a thing as an Independent company that can check lines and fix problems ?
    • Can I pay to get a new line ?
    • Or Can I even apply for a new line ?

• Advertisement

Anyone know how long the contracts with Eircom fiber are?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Anyone know how long the contracts with Eircom fiber are?

12 months iirc

New TV bundles are 18 months

Davy wrote: »
    12 months iirc

New TV bundles are 18 months

After I posted this, I decided to search Google. Nothing, but it struck that I can search Boards for an answer.

18 months makes Vodafone's 24 months look not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

I live exactly 2 kms from the nearest cabinet and from today my address is now coming up as fibre enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

After I posted this, I decided to search Google. Nothing, but it struck that I can search Boards for an answer.

18 months makes Vodafone's 24 months look not too bad.

I posted this earlier in the thread which I thought might be useful for existing Eircom customers upgrading.

They will probably say you have to pay by Direct Debit, but tell them you are an existing customer and they will not insist on that. You will be given a new Eircom account number. A final bill for €0.00 will issue for the existing account number and any arrears will be added to the first fibre bill. There will be a delay of 6/8 weeks so the first bill could be substantial. After that it will be monthly bills even if you are bi monthly at present. New contract for 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Im 350-400 Mtrs from my nearest cabinet, following the ducting along the road from plans obtained from the builder !
    • Out of 72 houses in my Estate 12 of us cant get eFibre 50-59 , 71-72
    • My Landline used to be capable of 5-8 MB always when I was with BT, but moved to WiMax when VF took them over
    • Eircom now tell me its only good for 2MB
    • This tells me there must be some type of fault on the line,
    • I dont have a landline or phone number with WiMax and cant get Eircom to check the line for faults as there not my ISP !
    • Im trying to find out what going on with my line and why I can get it eFibre but there is not a snowballs chance in hell of getting to speak with anyone from the networks team to get an answer.

What are my options ?
    • Is there such a thing as an Independent company that can check lines and fix problems ?
    • Can I pay to get a new line ?
    • Or Can I even apply for a new line ?

Id agree that its a bad prequal test(that gives the 2Mb line rating). There probably is a fault.

What you'd have to do is get a regular DSL line in, have it tested and fixed. Then apply for fibre.

I dont know what the capacity of a Fibre cab is but Kaizer or Freddy Smelly might. I doubt its 60 lines, so unless 12 of ye have another cab...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

naughto wrote: »

what's this exactly? Extra download allowance? And is that on top of your regular 40 per month?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

ED E wrote: »
    Id agree that its a bad prequal test(that gives the 2Mb line rating). There probably is a fault.

What you'd have to do is get a regular DSL line in, have it tested and fixed. Then apply for fibre.

I dont know what the capacity of a Fibre cab is but Kaizer or Freddy Smelly might. I doubt its 60 lines, so unless 12 of ye have another cab...

Yeah thats what I am thinking , although I dont want to get stuck in a 12 month contract for at best 2MB,

From looking on the coverage checker there is an estate across the road from me with just one Cab and the 150 homes in it come up as good for eFibre,

Is there any way to check the exchange or cabinet I am on ?

At least that way I can go to the Cabinet at the front of the estate and check that my line comes from there , for some reason although most the estate is live they left the yellow tag on the old cab and put noting on the new one .

what's this exactly? Extra download allowance? And is that on top of your regular 40 per month?
    its so can have the modem in the batcavebedroom and not inside the door where the connection is .they will move it but at 60 euros i dont think i wll.prob just get the home plugs.
    eircome do it for free but there not selling naked fiber so fuc1k them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Not looking good for my promised "go live" date of the 23rd. Not a thing happening in town at all. Most of the cabinets are yellow stickered presumably "live", not mine unfortunately...

Advertisement