Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

ED E wrote: »
    Id agree that its a bad prequal test(that gives the 2Mb line rating). There probably is a fault.

What you'd have to do is get a regular DSL line in, have it tested and fixed. Then apply for fibre.

I dont know what the capacity of a Fibre cab is but Kaizer or Freddy Smelly might. I doubt its 60 lines, so unless 12 of ye have another cab...

If memory serves me right, I think a Cabinet can handle 192 lines ... [ read this on boards but can't find the post ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

jca wrote: »
    Not looking good for my promised "go live" date of the 23rd. Not a thing happening in town at all. Most of the cabinets are yellow stickered presumably "live", not mine unfortunately...

If You will give me your address or phone number (preferred) I can check if there is a date for cabinet when will be live.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Was down in one of the phone provider shops in Douglas inquiring why we don't have fibre yet even though all around Douglas they do.:confused:

Anyway he mentioned that he heard that the developer in Mount Oval is holding up matters, some argument with Eircom with the small bit of digging they might have to or something. :mad:

Anybody hear any different before I start calling Oflynn's, I know they have pulled the fiber into the estate they were at that last summer I am sure. The best BB I can get is 5mb down so I am looking forward to the fibre

Same here in frankfield, still cant get it either. the only cabinets not done in douglas seem to be :

DGS1_019 Curragh Woods, Frankfield, Cork (Entrance)
    DGS1_023 Dewberry, Mount Oval, Douglas, Cork (Side #76)
    DGS1_038 Clarkes Wood, Mount Oval Village, Rochestown, Cork (Oppsite #83/84 / Grass)
    DGS1_039 Rowan Hill, Mount Oval Village, Rochestown, Cork (Grass / Side #83/84 // O/S #28)

they simple question is WHY !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

arctan wrote: »

If its a 192 I dont know what the problem is ,

Im stumped ,

I presume that was the Same for the ASDL Cabs before them ?

Although the builder told me there was only one cab in the estate there is a second part which he has only put planing permission in for recently , to build another 80 houses.

Il have to go for a scout in the morning , also does any one know if I get the code from the Old ASDL cab is there a way to check that is the one I am connected into ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If its a 192 I dont know what the problem is ,

Im stumped ,

I presume that was the Same for the ASDL Cabs before them ?

Although the builder told me there was only one cab in the estate there is a second part which he has only put planing permission in for recently , to build another 80 houses.

Il have to go for a scout in the morning , also does any one know if I get the code from the Old ASDL cab is there a way to check that is the one I am connected into ?
    There's no such thing as an ADSL cab. The old cabs are just copper distribution cabinets. The ADSL gear is back in the exchange. There could be up to 500 lines connected the distribution cabinets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I'm having problems with where Eircom put my fibre modem.

They put it under my sitting room window two foot from my front door, miles away from any socket and my computer in the far corner of the room.

I want it moved 10 feet to where I originally wanted it.

Is there any logical reason they cannot do this before they arrive and start giving excuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

They must supply socket 3 feet from main door - rest is up to You but if this is a pure fiber fight with them to move socket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

domeld wrote: »
    They must supply socket 3 feet from main door - rest is up to You but if this is a pure fiber fight with them to move socket.

Sounds good, mine is at an awkward position right beside the front door. I also have a nephew who is infatuated with phones and he always pulls at the wires.

3 extra feet will mean I can have it installed behind my sitting room door and lock the room whenever the kids are over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Any one else think I am being Spun a yarn here ?

Peter Walsh: Also for some unbeknown reason I cant get eFibre but 60 of the houses from 72 in my estate can !
    Niall: I cannot do this from here, you would have to call into 1800 503303 who can advise on this and on pricing.
    Niall: A cabinet can only efibre 60 houses, in the future you will get it but no date available yet.

• Advertisement

Any one else think I am being Spun a yarn here ?

Peter Walsh: Also for some unbeknown reason I cant get eFibre but 60 of the houses from 72 in my estate can !
    Niall: I cannot do this from here, you would have to call into 1800 503303 who can advise on this and on pricing.
    Niall: A cabinet can only efibre 60 houses, in the future you will get it but no date available yet.

That's BS, even if the 60 figure is correct. That would assume that 60 houses in your estate have fibre installed and the cab is full. I said it in a previous post, they don't reserve ports in the cab for houses that might order fibre in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

kaizersoze wrote: »
    There's no such thing as an ADSL cab. The old cabs are just copper distribution cabinets. The ADSL gear is back in the exchange. There could be up to 500 lines connected the distribution cabinets.

There are actually ADSL cabinets in some areas where lines were too long to provide our from the local exchange building or where there's a small exchange that's just a cabinet itself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

That's BS, even if the 60 figure is correct. That would assume that 60 houses in your estate have fibre installed and the cab is full. I said it in a previous post, they don't reserve ports in the cab for houses that might order fibre in the future.

The most likely reason is that your line goes direct to the exchange and doesn't go to a distribution cabinet at all.

Is your house older than your neighbours?

They've installed VDSL cabinets next to existing distribution cabinets. If you're unlucky enough to have a direct feed line that skips the distribution cabinet and comes straight from the exchange then you can't get VDSL on that line. At least not without them installing a new line from there to the nearest cabinet.

They will have to address this or they'll lose a lot of urban customers to UPC.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Each cabinet can support 192 lines. Details from a presentation down by an Eircom engineer here:

http://www.jeacle.ie/pub/articles/nga/kj-nga-ilug.pdf

As SpaceTime says, you are likely not connected to the local cabinet.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    There are actually ADSL cabinets in some areas where lines were too long to provide our from the local exchange building or where there's a small exchange that's just a cabinet itself :)

True but not the norm. It didn't warrant mention in the reply.......:P:P:P

bk wrote: »
    Each cabinet can support 192 lines. Details from a presentation down by an Eircom engineer here:

http://www.jeacle.ie/pub/articles/nga/kj-nga-ilug.pdf

As SpaceTime says, you are likely not connected to the local cabinet.

Yeah, I know the 192 figure is correct. Just saying that even if it was only 60 line capacity, they don't reserve port.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The most likely reason is that your line goes direct to the exchange and doesn't go to a distribution cabinet at all.

Is your house older than your neighbours?

They've installed VDSL cabinets next to existing distribution cabinets. If you're unlucky enough to have a direct feed line that skips the distribution cabinet and comes straight from the exchange then you can't get VDSL on that line. At least not without them installing a new line from there to the nearest cabinet.

They will have to address this or they'll lose a lot of urban customers to UPC.

Its a new Estate ,

Well it was started 8 years ago I think but only occupied in the last 5-6 years ,

It would make no sense what so ever that house's further away from the Distribution Cabinet than me would go to it and I would go all the way back up to Newbridge Town Centre nearly 3K away

Actually I would nearly be 100% sure thats not the case ,

The is a distribution Cab on the Athgarvan Road which has had an efibre Cab installed beside it but this is about 1.5KM away from me again it would make no sense what so ever to be connected to that one with one 300-400Mtrs away from me at the entrance to my estate

Anyway here is a pic

276448.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jimmyboy2013

I also live in Mount Oval and we experinced an issue with our broadband connection which Vodafone was not able to resolve over the phone. Anyhow they had to arrange with Eircom to send an Eircom engineer to my house to review the issue. I got speaking with the Eircom engineer and he told me Eircom are ready to lay the fibre cable the cabinets, but the developer being O'Flynns won't allow it. I have emailed O'Flynns four times over the past 3 weeks and each time they have not responded to me. I suspect the issue here is that the Mount Oval development is due to be handed over to the council at some point and O'Flynns don't want to have to pay any money towards digging up the roads to allow Eircom to do there work. I will continue to put pressure on them until something gets done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I also live in Mount Oval and we experinced an issue with our broadband connection which Vodafone was not able to resolve over the phone. Anyhow they had to arrange with Eircom to send an Eircom engineer to my house to review the issue. I got speaking with the Eircom engineer and he told me Eircom are ready to lay the fibre cable the cabinets, but the developer being O'Flynns won't allow it. I have emailed O'Flynns four times over the past 3 weeks and each time they have not responded to me. I suspect the issue here is that the Mount Oval development is due to be handed over to the council at some point and O'Flynns don't want to have to pay any money towards digging up the roads to allow Eircom to do there work. I will continue to put pressure on them until something gets done.
    :mad::mad::mad:

I might start emailing them also so and calling them I paid enough for this house....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looking at that aeriel view of the estate, those houses with the red dots not getting fibre with a cabinet sitting just feet away makes no sense, so basically if your more than 50 meters from a cabinet theres a chance you may not be able to get fibre!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

strange one alright. there have been issues where developers dont put in civils, or want eircom to pay to use ducting (not sure how the latter works)

I'd be certain it's some sort of civils issue because cabling somewhere like that could be done easily enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I spotted a kn van on someone's driveway in Bohreen Hill in Enniscorthy yesterday. It looked like they were getting fibre installed. No yellow label on the cabinet. Only it was lashing rain at the time I'd have called in to ask them!!

Pre-cast plinth used by KN for cab installs.....

276951.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Probably lots of Eircom customers have got their final non-fibre bill but I just thought I would post the details enclosed with mine in case it is of interest. It has a credit of €33.30.

Changes to your bill.

Enclosed with this leaflet is your last bill for your current Broadband service. This bill is different from your other Broadband bills because there is no monthly charge on it - this is because you are moving to eFibre billing. This means:

Any balance (credit or debit) on this bill will be calculated and transferred to you new Fibre bill.

Your new monthly Fibre bill will arrive in 6-8 weeks and will include:

-Any balance from this bill.
    -Your new Fibre cost for 2 months.
    -Pro rata cost for 2-3 week period (covers your usage from the time your account is set up until your first bill date).
    -Any other costs incurred such as out of bundle usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Probably lots of Eircom customers have got their final non-fibre bill but I just thought I would post the details enclosed with mine in case it is of interest. It has a credit of €33.30.

Changes to your bill.

Enclosed with this leaflet is your last bill for your current Broadband service. This bill is different from your other Broadband bills because there is no monthly charge on it - this is because you are moving to eFibre billing. This means:

Any balance (credit or debit) on this bill will be calculated and transferred to you new Fibre bill.

Your new monthly Fibre bill will arrive in 6-8 weeks and will include:

-Any balance from this bill.
    -Your new Fibre cost for 2 months.
    -Pro rata cost for 2-3 week period (covers your usage from the time your account is set up until your first bill date).
    -Any other costs incurred such as out of bundle usage.

Cheers for posting this info . Are you happy with the way transitioned your future bill ? I was concerned myself how they would this . Seems fairly straight forward .

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Cheers for posting this info . Are you happy with the way transitioned your future bill ? I was concerned myself how they would this . Seems fairly straight forward .

Well I will have to wait till I get the first Fibre bill but I see no reason to be worried. All of the information on the leaflet is exactly what was explained to me when I applied for Fibre which I did over the phone.

The main difference is that it will be a monthly bill in future instead of the bi-monthly which I was used to. And there will be a brand new Eircom account number (not phone number) as the old account number ceased after the Fibre installation.

Well I will have to wait till I get the first Fibre bill but I see no reason to be worried. All of the information on the leaflet is exactly what was explained to me when I applied for Fibre which I did over the phone.

The main difference is that it will be a monthly bill in future instead of the bi-monthly which I was used to. And there will be a brand new Eircom account number (not phone number) as the old account number ceased after the Fibre installation.

Has it been installed yet ? How did it go if so , lots of horror stories so far from what I can gather .

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Has it been installed yet ? How did it go if so , lots of horror stories so far from what I can gather .

Installed on 2nd Oct exactly one week after I applied. Working really well since, very consistent speeds.

3048429715.png

You only hear the horror stories because they are the ones that naturally want to air their grievances. The vast majority get a good service and have no need to tell their stories.

Installed on 2nd Oct exactly one week after I applied. Working really well since, very consistent speeds.

3048429715.png

You only hear the horror stories because they are the ones that naturally want to air their grievances. The vast majority get a good service and have no need to tell their stories.

Nice one , I feel a bit more comfortable about getting it now .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Order in this evening. Very pleased that they're not making me switch to Direct Debit.

Advertisement