Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Maynooth put back to next year for Eircom Efibre.

No need to worry though,

Got leaflet through the door during the week from UPC. They will be carrying out network enhancements in the next while to make 200 meg bb and horizon tv available in my area. Eircom can keep there efibre fttc.

Best of luck to everyone waiting on eircom fibre.

Even better luck waiting for upc.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Maynooth put back to next year for Eircom Efibre.

No need to worry though,

Got leaflet through the door during the week from UPC. They will be carrying out network enhancements in the next while to make 200 meg bb and horizon tv available in my area. Eircom can keep there efibre fttc.

Best of luck to everyone waiting on eircom fibre.

Blessing in disguise tbh....Eircom are not even in the same league as UPC.

barrackali wrote: »
    Blessing in disguise tbh....Eircom are not even in the same league as UPC.

Yea, In the outage stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

jca wrote: »
    Yea, In the outage stakes.

Eircom are installing "next generation" fibre......which is way out of date. They can't compete with UPC in any cabled area. People flock to UPC from Eircom for many reasons.....one of the key ones would be the massive speed advantage that UPC have.

And don't get me started on Eircoms ****ty IPTV offering lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Eircom are installing "next generation" fibre......which is way out of date. They can't compete with UPC in any cabled area. People flock to UPC from Eircom for many reasons.....one of the key ones would be the massive speed advantage that UPC have.

Shur go for it, your looking for a reason for a rant, heres the invite!

• Advertisement

I'd hardly call fttc out of date technology, that's what upc is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This isn't a UPC vs Eircom thread,anyhow 99% of the posters in this thread have or will most likely never have access to UPC Broadband.

Where myself & JCA live we've had a UPC tv service since the dawn of time & to quote one of their engineers "you'd be dead a long time from holding your breath before UPC upgrade the network for broadband".
    The Eircom fibre rollout is a Godsend for those who can get it,imagine going from 1 or 2mb/s to 50 or 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

tarakino wrote: »
    I am in Mahon and when I check my landline on the line checker it gives me a date of Nov 1st...hope it's true though

So it's gone back again! We've gone from being eFibre available to mid Sep, mid Oct and back again to November as we approach each date.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

zerks wrote: »
    This isn't a UPC vs Eircom thread,anyhow 99% of the posters in this thread have or will most likely never have access to UPC Broadband.

Where myself & JCA live we've had a UPC tv service since the dawn of time & to quote one of their engineers "you'd be dead a long time from holding your breath before UPC upgrade the network for broadband".
    The Eircom fibre rollout is a Godsend for those who can get it,imagine going from 1 or 2mb/s to 50 or 70.
    Surely Eircom's rollout of VDSL also sets a fire under UPC's ass to upgrade their own network and tap in to existing cable customers, rather than letting them drift away to Eircom (whose TV product might yet improve enough to steal them away completely). Competition is good anyway, Ireland's broadband penetration is rapidly improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Got leaflet through the door during the week from UPC. They will be carrying out network enhancements in the next while to make 200 meg bb and horizon tv available in my area.
    Don't hold your breath, it took about a year between when I got the same leaflet in the door and when broadband was available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is there any report about progress of this roll-out regarding the numbers of homes that can get the service now?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

really surprised that fibre roll out wasnt done earlier in ireland, many parts of the uk got fibre installed for cable tv anologue before it switched over to digital and broadband internet came along with it, they did it during the 90`s by companies like cable and wireless plc. while much of the bt network is still copper wire they are slowly improving their network.
    the uk `s fibre optic system in places is now old and could be better but the average broadband available is usually around 16mb with virgin offering 60mb, with so many companys available prices are real low too.

not going to hold out my hopes of getting fibre where i live as im too far out in the sticks, will jsut have to stick with the expensive wireless broadband i get which has the downside of it goes out completely or drops my speed in bad weather.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just after checking what fibre is like in the UK thinking it would be faster than here but it really isnt (and they were light years ahead of us with broadband for along time).

Their Virgin media broadband packages offer 30, 60 and up to a maximum 100meg broadband compared to our UPC 150 and 200meg packages.

BT Infinity fibre (similar to Eircom's Efibre) offers packages of 16meg, 38meg and 76meg compared to Eircom's 50 and 70meg packages.

When you look at all the above, urban Ireland is doing very well for itself... unfortunately for now our rural and semi-rural divide is now worse than ever.
    Fingers crossed that the ESB can bring fibre to many of us who live beyond town boundaries over the next 2 years and get things finally moving.

Gonzo wrote: »
    just after checking what fibre is like in the UK thinking it would be faster than here but it really isnt (and they were light years ahead of us with broadband for along time).

Their Virgin media broadband packages offer 30, 60 and up to a maximum 100meg broadband compared to our UPC 150 and 200meg packages.

BT Infinity fibre (similar to Eircom's Efibre) offers packages of 16meg, 38meg and 76meg compared to Eircom's 50 and 70meg packages.

When you look at all the above, urban Ireland is doing very well for itself... unfortunately for now our rural and semi-rural divide is now worse than ever.
    Fingers crossed that the ESB can bring fibre to many of us who live beyond town boundaries over the next 2 years and get things finally moving.

Even though the uk has had their fibre optic system laid out for a long time now (virgin etc) it is old now so its not as advanced as it could be, but they still have more coverage than we have here, and even most villages and rural places have decent broadband with prices a lot cheaper.

i really hope they do roll out to rural areas here but i dont think we will get anywhere near the coverage we could do with.
    i would also welcome more companies delivering the services which would bring the price down.

i currently pay 79.99 a month for up to 20 mb broadband with a 60 gig download limit, for example virgin up to 30mb unlimited download would work out to 101euro for a year...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Edgey75 wrote: »
    i really hope they do roll out to rural areas here but i dont think we will get anywhere near the coverage we could do with.
    i would also welcome more companies delivering the services which would bring the price down.

i currently pay 79.99 a month for up to 20 mb broadband with a 60 gig download limit, for example virgin up to 30mb unlimited download would work out to 101euro for a year...

yes its very frustrating just watching the same urbanised spots get upgrades and new technologies. Granted Eircom are rolling out fibre to medium sized towns and the odd small ones, but even in these areas anyone more than 800meters away from the town boundary is left out in the cold once again , you would think they would at least try and get the semi-rural spots done as well around towns as these areas while they look kinda rural, there are loads of houses all along with roads but they may as well be stuck 10 miles from nowhere. Small vdsl cabinets up on esb poles would easily fix all that but how many more years of waiting is required before this even starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Gonzo wrote: »

We can but hope ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Even better luck waiting for upc.

Jealousy!!

UPC's customer service is poor but I can handle that if it means 200meg BB. Eircoms customer service is also shocking. And they don't even have the products to fall back on.

I'd hardly call fttc out of date technology, that's what upc is too.

I'll have to stop you there. UPC is ftth in most locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Upc is not ftth anywhere in ireland. They run fibre to cabinets and use coaxial cable from the cabinet into the house even in new build home installations which i got done a month ago.

It just happens that coax cable using the docsis 3 protocol can handle much higher speeds than copper which uses vdsl 2 protocol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Mgit wrote: »
    Upc is not ftth anywhere in ireland. They run fibre to cabinets and use coaxial cable from the cabinet into the house even in new build home installations which i got done a month ago.

It just happens that coax cable using the docsis 3 protocol can handle much higher speeds than copper which uses vdsl 2 protocol

^This. I was on FTTH in Korea... 100/100. You don't get that in Ireland. Not even UCD has that.

Edit: There are a few campuses that have gigabit connections. The servers in UCD might have them but the normal networks for students don't seem to be on anything about 100/20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

eh no it's not...it's all coax to the home and fibre to the cabinet in most areas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

red_bairn wrote: »
    ^This. I was on FTTH in Korea... 100/100. You don't get that in Ireland. Not even UCD has that.

Edit: There are a few campuses that have gigabit connections. The servers in UCD might have them but the normal networks for students don't seem to be on anything about 100/20.
    On a quiet day in UCC I got nearly 500 down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

TheChizler wrote: »
    On a quiet day in UCC I got nearly 500 down!

Just checked a UCD server earlier on and it got this.

I stand corrected. Doesn't matter to me anyway. Hopefully eircom will get the finger out and compete with upc. Regardless of when eircom upgrade I'll be going with upc 200meg. Will be available soon enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Edgey75 wrote: »
    Even though the uk has had their fibre optic system laid out for a long time now (virgin etc) it is old now so its not as advanced as it could be, but they still have more coverage than we have here, and even most villages and rural places have decent broadband with prices a lot cheaper
    No sure what you mean there about old fibre.

even old fibre is good for better speeds than twisted pair over long distances

But yeah, Eircom dragged their heels for years. Including a few years "testing" ADSL near RTE in Donnybrook.

And NTL were forced to roll out Digital TV, which was low profit , and that delayed investment in internet over cable years apart from some lucky punters in Tallaght.

No sure what you mean there about old fibre.

even old fibre is good for better speeds than twisted pair over long distances

But yeah, Eircom dragged their heels for years. Including a few years "testing" ADSL near RTE in Donnybrook.

And NTL were forced to roll out Digital TV, which was low profit , and that delayed investment in internet over cable years apart from some lucky punters in Tallaght.

i mean their fibre system is old now in the sense that it was laid down 25+ years ago and was designed for anologue cable tv rather than broadband digital tv delivery so its boxes could do with upgrading and such, the cable should be sound though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Sky seriously need to launch fibre soon...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the word is "resell"

It's eircom's copper connected to BT's backhaul.

BTW - SES owns the Astra satellites that SKY use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

April

• Advertisement

the word is "resell"

It's eircom's copper connected to BT's backhaul.

BTW - SES owns the Astra satellites that SKY use.

Yes,

Both Sky and Vodafone are a bit of a joke really. It's a dirty feeling knowing that even if your with Sky or Vodafone you are really still and eircom customer.

How much do Sky and Vodafone pay Eircom for the lines? Is it a case that the line rental of 25 euro still applies?

Advertisement