Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Mgit wrote: »
    Upc is not ftth anywhere in ireland. They run fibre to cabinets and use coaxial cable from the cabinet into the house even in new build home installations which i got done a month ago.

It just happens that coax cable using the docsis 3 protocol can handle much higher speeds than copper which uses vdsl 2 protocol

You are correct, but I would also say that UPC's HFC FFTC network is almost as good as most FTTH networks around the world.

Most FTTH networks in Europe use GPON, as does Eircoms planned FTTH system. GPON is actually limited to 2.5Gb/s divided amongst 32 people. The type of coax cable UPC use is capable of about 5Gb/s shared too. So they are actually pretty close to one another.

Of course in the long term FTTH is better and will have better upgrade paths (10GPON, WDM-PON, etc.) but in the short and medium term, for most purposes I would consider UPC to be fibre too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

bk wrote: »
    You are correct, but I would also say that UPC's HFC FFTC network is almost as good as most FTTH networks around the world.

Most FTTH networks in Europe use GPON, as does Eircoms planned FTTH system. GPON is actually limited to 2.5Gb/s divided amongst 32 people. The type of coax cable UPC use is capable of about 5Gb/s shared too. So they are actually pretty close to one another.

Of course in the long term FTTH is better and will have better upgrade paths (10GPON, WDM-PON, etc.) but in the short and medium term, for most purposes I would consider UPC to be fibre too.

What upload speeds can that attain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Mgit wrote: »
    Upc is not ftth anywhere in ireland. They run fibre to cabinets and use coaxial cable from the cabinet into the house even in new build home installations which i got done a month ago.

It just happens that coax cable using the docsis 3 protocol can handle much higher speeds than copper which uses vdsl 2 protocol

NTL didn't run fibre until the late 90s. The only ones running fibre 25 years ago were Eircom. As a trial. According to UPC their investment started in 2007. So it's a very new network.

This is from 2011:

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPC%20creates%2050%20new%20jobs.pdf

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

7upfree wrote: »
    NTL didn't run fibre until the late 90s. The only ones running fibre 25 years ago were Eircom. As a trial. According to UPC their investment started in 2007. So it's a very new network.

This is from 2011:

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/UPC%20creates%2050%20new%20jobs.pdf

Plus they also replaced most of the COAX cable with new very high quality cable too.

Mesut Ozil wrote: »
    What upload speeds can that attain?

Well 5Gb/s would be the full bandwidth, so both upload and download.

Practically speaking it would depend on the number of channels to decide to dedicate to upload speed.

EuroDOCIS 3.0 defines n × 30.72 Mbit/s upstream channels, where n has no maximum defined!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Plus they also replaced most of the COAX cable with new very high quality cable too.
    Ha, Not where I live. They increased prices regularly with the promise of a "much improved" service to your area.....Still waiting for the improvements. I was a customer from 1989 up to 2010. I got the digital service in 2009 which was a 12 month contract. When it was working it was fine but I spent more time looking at the blue screen reading "check your connections". The final blow came when the guy arrived at my house to fix the continual blue screens, connected a box to the connection, I was looking over his shoulder and the screen showed dismal readings. He mumbled something about mmmmmm, the van, he got into the transit drove off and never came back:mad:. I rang sky straight away and never looked back. They actually had the cheek to ring me a few days later to see how my repair went. I told the girl Shergar had left the building never to return.

Well 5Gb/s would be the full bandwidth, so both upload and download.

Practically speaking it would depend on the number of channels to decide to dedicate to upload speed.

EuroDOCIS 3.0 defines n × 30.72 Mbit/s upstream channels, where n has no maximum defined!

Why is their upload speed so slow then?

So slow, god how times have changed! Many people would kill for 10mb/s upload. That upload speed is faster then many peoples download speed!

No one outside of UPC knows for certain, there are a number of reasons why upload speeds can be constrained, which I posted a long post about before, but I won't be doing that again, I'll link to it if I can find it.

However I believe UPC are aware of this and are working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I see KN networks installing fibre cabs for Eircom in Blanchardstown this morning.

Does anyone know why Eircom are rolling their fibre out in an area that already can avail of 200 mbps UPC? I'm not saying that they shouldn't do it, but I'd have taught they would hit areas with little or no competition first.

You would think that someone in Eircon would sit back and think " maybe we're better off rolling out in an area that we'd have no competition in".

As people here have already said, UPC can be a nightmare to deal with but when it 's working and good Eircom's efibre doesn't come close to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Eircom guys did my install & couldn't have been more helpful,they checked the wifi was working & speed was what it was meant to be.

KN contractor installed a neighbour,basically just changed the faceplate,plugged in his tablet to check it & left the neighbour to his own devices to set up the router,told him "it's not my job to do that".It's a 2 minute job for him to set up the router but he didn't,I ended up having to call over later and do it as my neighbour hadn't a clue with cables plugged in evrywhere except the right places.
    He also told him "it takes 3 hours for the broadband to activate",mine was up & running while the eircom lads were still in my house.
    Very poor service from KN,hope this isn't a reflection of all their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

zerks wrote: »
    Eircom guys did my install & couldn't have been more helpful,they checked the wifi was working & speed was what it was meant to be.

KN contractor installed a neighbour,basically just changed the faceplate,plugged in his tablet to check it & left the neighbour to his own devices to set up the router,told him "it's not my job to do that".It's a 2 minute job for him to set up the router but he didn't,I ended up having to call over later and do it as my neighbour hadn't a clue with cables plugged in evrywhere except the right places.
    He also told him "it takes 3 hours for the broadband to activate",mine was up & running while the eircom lads were still in my house.
    Very poor service from KN,hope this isn't a reflection of all their staff.

It should take 10-15mins unless they come across some problem. That's a bad image for KN.... tut tut

I have had the same experience with eircom themselves. I needed repairs done on my phone line. I was with Vodafone. As it's an eircom line an eircom tech was sent out. Lazy,ignorant and done the bear minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

Should I expect to see much improvement with voice over IP applications if I move to fibre when it's available?

Should I expect to see much improvement with voice over IP applications if I move to fibre when it's available?

Depends on what speed you are currently getting.

But probably not, VoIP is usually pretty low bandwidth to start with. Though it maybe slightly more stable, specially as they clean up the wiring during the install.

Video calling should definitely benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I have had the same experience with eircom themselves. I needed repairs done on my phone line. I was with Vodafone. As it's an eircom line an eircom tech was sent out. Lazy,ignorant and done the bear minimum.

Sounds like the local dude here.... A complete Muppet.

jca wrote: »
    Sounds like the local dude here.... A complete Muppet.

Don't think he was a muppet tbh. Just when he heard I was with Vodafone, he couldn't be arsed.

Even though Eircom are making money from line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

We rang about fibre at the start of last week. We had two numbers and wanted to cancel the broadband number and move it to the other number. We had to cancel first, which took a couple of days. Then I had to call back in, despite being promised a call, to place the order, which I did. I then waited for the call, which was promised for either Thursday or Friday morning, about an appointment date, which never came. I called back in Monday to be told that no appointment had been set up and they'd have to send it to the back office. I called Tuesday to confirm and they said it might take a week to "come back from the back office". I asked to speak to a supervisor, and was promised a call back. None came. I called back today and politely demanded to speak to a supervisor immediately, at which point she was instantly able to make the appointment that I'd been told no one but back office could make.

Notwithstanding the fact that they said 5 working days from the date of the order (so our install should have been today) and the fact that the lady confirmed yesterday that she'd ensure we got a date within a couple of days, we've now been told that it'll be next Wednesday before they install. There's no semblance of customer service at work here.

Every single person I spoke to blamed the systems for these delays. I'll be glad not to have to speak to these people again. I appreciate they're just reading from a script, but at times they just seem to be telling lies to get you off the phone.

So slow, god how times have changed! Many people would kill for 10mb/s upload. That upload speed is faster then many peoples download speed!

No one outside of UPC knows for certain, there are a number of reasons why upload speeds can be constrained, which I posted a long post about before, but I won't be doing that again, I'll link to it if I can find it.

However I believe UPC are aware of this and are working on it.

Believe me, I'd love to have that upload speed now because mine maxes out at 70kb/s, but in comparison to their download, it's pretty miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

brophs wrote: »
    We rang about fibre at the start of last week. We had two numbers and wanted to cancel the broadband number and move it to the other number. We had to cancel first, which took a couple of days. Then I had to call back in, despite being promised a call, to place the order, which I did. I then waited for the call, which was promised for either Thursday or Friday morning, about an appointment date, which never came. I called back in Monday to be told that no appointment had been set up and they'd have to send it to the back office. I called Tuesday There's no semblance of customer service at work here.

Every single person I spoke to blamed the systems for these delays. I'll be glad not to have to speak to these people again. I appreciate they're just reading from a script, but at times they just seem to be telling lies to get you off the phone.

If I was you I would just forget about it. I ordered it 3 months ago, and after something like 30 phonecalls, 5 missed appointment (with no calls to say "sorry") and two new lines installed I was just told in an email today that
    I’m writing about E Fibre in your new premises. I’m afraid that despite our best efforts it will not be possible to install Eircom E Fibre in your premises.
    I have NEVER had such bad customer service in my life from any company. Unreal how bad they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 tarakino

Let's see if Mahon is really going live on Friday as per Eircom's website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

KN lads are paid per install and do 6-10 jobs a day ... you can imagine why they're fairly quick in and out ...

they're meant to:
    -strip back to the main cable at point of entry (all internals off and alarm)
    -fit splitter socket
    -attatch internals & alarm (if subsequent problems appear from customers wiring or equipment, that's a different story and they may not be able to look after it)
    -replace drop wire if not up to standard
    -test vdsl with megger meter
    -do jumpering in exchange to remove previous ADSL service if customer is using POTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Chatting to a lad up the road from me today,he didn't even know fibre was available to him,he's with Eircom.

Strange how many people seem so unaware of the fibre rollout around the country.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My upstream is 5120000 on transmitter 1 the other 3 are "unlocked"

downstream is 6952000 on each of 8 transmitters.

Why is it done this way ?

Because most people download more than they upload, it also has the effect that it throttles peer to peer and restricts people hosting services.

eg:

ADSL stands for Asymmetric digital subscriber line. The clue is in the name.

A few providers provide symmetrical bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

tarakino wrote: »
    Let's see if Mahon is really going live on Friday as per Eircom's website

Where do get Friday from?

My upstream is 5120000 on transmitter 1 the other 3 are "unlocked"

downstream is 6952000 on each of 8 transmitters.

Why is it done this way ?

Because most people download more than they upload, it also has the effect that it throttles peer to peer and restricts people hosting services.

eg:

ADSL stands for Asymmetric digital subscriber line. The clue is in the name.

A few providers provide symmetrical bandwidth.

Yeah, but with Eircom producing 15 - 20mb upload, you'd think they'd appeal to the uploaders by increasing the upload speed. It's ridiculously disproportionate and 200mb is overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Red Nissan wrote: »

When going through the online order , if you get to the 2nd or 3rd page it says at the bottom when it's going live in your area once you've put in your phone number on the line tracker if eFibre is available to you , e.g. I was told it would be available from 31st October in Ashbourne , Co. Meath .

10 mbps upload isn't really a shock. I'm on a 12 mbps line and struggle to reach 100 kpbs upload.

Just the way it is with uploads tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tarakino

Red Nissan wrote: »

Put your phone number on the Eircom line checker (check for a free upgrade);
    This is what I have for my landline:

We will check the fastest broadband speed available for your home and upgrade you for FREE.

Fibre is coming to your area: 1-Nov see map for info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

tarakino wrote: »
    Fibre is coming to your area: 1-Nov see map for info

I see it now, thanks. Just registered again there now too. A month or two back it was "available" but wasn't when one tried to actually order it.

Advertisement