Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

kaizersoze wrote: »
    2.9km would be a fair stretch for VDSL. It falls away fairly quickly after 1km.
    At 2km they'll only offer 7 down and 1 up. They wouldn't even allow you to order at that distance.

7 down 1 up though is at the moment without vectoring noise reduction or an extended reach setup though right?

From Wiki:
    ADSL-like long reach performance is one of the key advantages of VDSL2. LR-VDSL2 enabled systems are capable of supporting speeds of around 1–4 Mbit/s (downstream) over distances of 4–5 km (2.5–3 miles), gradually increasing the bit rate up to symmetric 100 Mbit/s as loop-length shortens. This means that VDSL2-based systems, unlike VDSL1 systems, are not limited to short local loops or MTU/MDUs only, but can also be used for medium range applications.

Also in this video @ 2:10 it mentions using 2 pair bonding and vectoring to increase reach so technically it should be possible but weather eircom will do this im not sure.

5Mbs would be a good upgrade coming from 0.43 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Lios mead and finnabair industrial estate on the blackrock road in dundalk is now testing positive for efibre and i cant figure out for the life of me how they can get efibre and what cabinet they are getting it from. I live right beside lios mead and cant get it.
    Magnet.ie tests show lios mead as not having fibre but eircom shows it does support it.

Bothar na feirme, kingswoods, the loakers all testing negative for efibre but yet lios mead the few houses next door to it and finnabair stuck in the middle can get it.

That whole area is not due live now until march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

wexdevil wrote: »
    I still get the usual "Sorry, we are unable to determine if your home is fibre-enabled" I wish they'd have a date for when the rest of enniscorthy is going live...I don't like the missus having faster internet than me :P

As far as I can make out there are only 4 cabinets left in Enniscorthy to be finished. Three are powered just awaiting commissioning the one at the vocational school isn't powered yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Map currently showing everywhere as ''Available Now''. A glitch, but an annoying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

kaerobe wrote: »
    Map currently showing everywhere as ''Available Now''. A glitch, but an annoying one.

On my screen I just see smarties everywhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Nice to see a more specific date on the eircom map now, up till now it was always 2014, now im seeing May 2014......

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

Some serious map updates over the weekend, this is the most detailed I have seen the plan so far. Bettystown was showing Jan - March 2014, now shows Feb 2014....at least it didn't move outwards again (yet!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Some serious map updates over the weekend, this is the most detailed I have seen the plan so far. Bettystown was showing Jan - March 2014, now shows Feb 2014....at least it didn't move outwards again (yet!)

Forget about Eircom map updates etc. It's all BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Can't tell if eFibreed or not, but available apparently.

278785.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

If not sure about availability, I'd check with several providers over the phone for exact date before ordering anything. If your rep is pushy, he might be working for commission and lie to you just to get DD details. I've called 3 providers and only third gave me exact date for my apartment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Red Nissan wrote: »

278785.jpg

I get the same in Carrigaline. Also received two phone calls last week offering efibre and evision. I told them I was unaware that my estate had been activated... THEN the check and apologise that they cant say when its going live. Wasting their own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I get the same image while checking my home in Youghal. The Brother , who lives across the road, when he does the check gets the 70MB enable message though.. Not sure If they just havent turned my line on yet or if I'm outside the distance for guaranteed.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Looking at the eFibre map, I see Donegal Town has now been shifted to Jan '14 (originally September '13). Most/all of the cabs are in, though not many have the yellow sticker to suggest it's commissioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tarakino

Red Nissan wrote: »

278785.jpg

same damn thing for Mahon area, eircom rep told me my estate jacobs island should go live by end of this month

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

So any idea when vectoring will be coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

next year

arctan wrote: »
    next year

Ha ha yea right!!! The fibre won't be complete in a year never mind any extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

eircom have said that it will be from early 2014 on existing cabinets and that it will be automatically included in new cabinets from this time as they are added to the network http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircoms_Fibre_Network_to_Offer_Broadband_Speeds_of_100Mb/

Mgit wrote: »
    eircom have said that it will be from early 2014 on existing cabinets and that it will be automatically included in new cabinets from this time as they are added to the network http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircoms_Fibre_Network_to_Offer_Broadband_Speeds_of_100Mb/

Blah buckin blah. I just wish they'd come and finish Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

I see a lot of activity in my area again. Just had me wondering on how they swap you over to the vdsl2 cab. Is there a fibre link between the old cabinet to the new vdsl2. Do they disconnect your 2 pair wire from the old cabinet and jumper it to the new one instead ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Last night:
    speed20131104_zps9ff0b70d.png
    And that's the first time I ever saw it go above 2Mb.

Today:
    speed20131105_zpsac8fca6e.png

Lost a few megs to eVision, but still very happy out.

jca wrote: »
    Ha ha yea right!!! The fibre won't be complete in a year never mind any extras.

majority of enabled cabs have had their cards updated to enable vectoring
    it is caught up in comreg beurocracy atm

syboit wrote: »
    I see a lot of activity in my area again. Just had me wondering on how they swap you over to the vdsl2 cab. Is there a fibre link between the old cabinet to the new vdsl2. Do they disconnect your 2 pair wire from the old cabinet and jumper it to the new one instead ?

new cab installed beside existing cab
    new cab fed by fibre and houses VDSL equipment
    linked to old cab with 200 pair cable
    connections are then done in old cab

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

Got a letter from Vodafone (our current provider) saying Fibre is here sign up now blah blah blah, checked the Efibre coverage map on the Eircom site and mine has been pushed back to March '14 :( Sad times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Jealousy!!

UPC's customer service is poor but I can handle that if it means 200meg BB. Eircoms customer service is also shocking. And they don't even have the products to fall back on.

Upc and sierra digging outside house today for network enhancing. Hopefully not long to wait for 200 mbps! Just in the nick of time with eircom pushing their efibre down the track again. Seems eircom are doing a savage amount of messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jca wrote: »
    Blah buckin blah. I just wish they'd come and finish Enniscorthy.

More activity today with the cabs that aren't finished being comissioned,I reckon they'll be live soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Any sign of the cabinet in Curragh woods - Cork. It was on the deployment plan for VDSL but has not been installed yet. Who do we have to contact to get this done. the current cabinet at the site even looks quite old. is this why ?

Eircom Contract up soon, UPC is available at the moment !, will it be in 2013 or later ?

details on existing cabinet are:
    DGS1_019 Curragh Woods, Frankfield, Cork (Entrance)

zerks wrote: »
    More activity today with the cabs that aren't finished being comissioned,I reckon they'll be live soon.
    Don't torment me you:D I'm still stuck with sky BB, its absolutely dreadful. I changed to Vodafone on the 23rd of september but nothing happening with the BB yet. If I get short pings 20-40 m/s the download is usually around 1-1.5 meg, when I get long pings 90-120 m/s the speed increases to around 4-5 meg. I never had any trouble with any other BB provider.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Stuck with Sky, great that its unlimited but I was getting 16mb and now only getting 14mb raging as I'm in an apparent fibre area with the cabinet that I should be connected to is maybe 400m away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

What work would be required to enable Fibre for people who are Connected directly to the exchange I've noticed they've put down two new cabs (voice and vdsl) beside me in Castlebar and they currently have a tent thingy over the voice cab.

Anyone with inside info know if this setup for people connected directly to the exchange is a short job or will I have no fibre until 2014
    :(

Advertisement