Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

I'm on the dunshaughlin exchange in Meath.

I've a very open ended question.

I've looked at the map and it says it's getting NGN does that mean that I'll get a speed increase?

At the moment I'm an extended reach user and about 5 miles away from the exchange.

I'm slightly confused by all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Shane732 wrote: »
    I'm on the dunshaughlin exchange in Meath.

I've a very open ended question.

I've looked at the map and it says it's getting NGN does that mean that I'll get a speed increase?

At the moment I'm an extended reach user and about 5 miles away from the exchange.

I'm slightly confused by all of this.

The thread is about the rollout of fibre based services. Direct fibre to the home (FTTH) which could deliver gigabit connectivity (1024 m/bit) and fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) which means the fibre runs as far as a cabinet, many of which will be placed all around the towns and cities where they will roll out. Speeds should be up to 50m/bit at first rising to up to 100m/bit in the future.

These new good products will be rolled out to the following locations =

Phase 1
    Mervue (Galway); Douglas (Cork); Dooradoyle (Limerick); Tallaght, Ballyboden, Palmerstown (Dublin); Clonee, Co Meath; Letterkenny, Co Donegal; Swords, Donabate, Co Dublin

Phase 2

Shantalla (Galway); Quaker Rd (Cork); Limerick City (Limerick); Rathedmond (Sligo); Ballincollig (Cork); Belcamp, Dun Laoghaire, Rochestown (Dublin); Ennis (Clare); Drogheda (Louth); Bray (Wicklow); Ballina and Castlebar (Mayo).

"NGN" or Eircom's next generation network, is basically marketing crap that Eircom are pushing on people. It's still based on adsl 1 and 2 technology. I don't know anyone that has benefitted from NGN. If your line is 5 miles you probably don't have a fast connection. "NGN" won't make any difference. When Dunshaughlin is eventually selected for upgrading to FTTC / FTTH and if someone puts a cabinet near by, then you should be able to receive a decent upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Praetorian wrote: »
    The thread is about the rollout of fibre based services. Direct fibre to the home (FTTH) which could deliver gigabit connectivity (1024 m/bit) and fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) which means the fibre runs as far as a cabinet, many of which will be placed all around the towns and cities where they will roll out. Speeds should be up to 50m/bit at first rising to up to 100m/bit in the future.

These new good products will be rolled out to the following locations =

Phase 1
    Mervue (Galway); Douglas (Cork); Dooradoyle (Limerick); Tallaght, Ballyboden, Palmerstown (Dublin); Clonee, Co Meath; Letterkenny, Co Donegal; Swords, Donabate, Co Dublin

Phase 2

Shantalla (Galway); Quaker Rd (Cork); Limerick City (Limerick); Rathedmond (Sligo); Ballincollig (Cork); Belcamp, Dun Laoghaire, Rochestown (Dublin); Ennis (Clare); Drogheda (Louth); Bray (Wicklow); Ballina and Castlebar (Mayo).

"NGN" or Eircom's next generation network, is basically marketing crap that Eircom are pushing on people. It's still based on adsl 1 and 2 technology. I don't know anyone that has benefitted from NGN. If your line is 5 miles you probably don't have a fast connection. "NGN" won't make any difference. When Dunshaughlin is eventually selected for upgrading to FTTC / FTTH and if someone puts a cabinet near by, then you should be able to receive a decent upgrade.

Thank you, much appreciated.

So basically I have to hope that when Dunshaughlin is eventually upgraded that there will be a cabinet near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Praetorian wrote: »

I imagine BT's possible rollout won't be much better. Or in all likelihood, they will be piggybacking?

Liamario wrote: »
    I imagine BT's possible rollout won't be much better. Or in all likelihood, they will be piggybacking?

I would say they will piggyback. They will also analyse the situation / finances and resistance to a further widespread rollout after their trial. Here is hoping it's a success.
    Shane732 wrote:
    Thank you, much appreciated.

So basically I have to hope that when Dunshaughlin is eventually upgraded that there will be a cabinet near me.

No problem. Yes I think that's your best chance for decent fixed line broadband. Most of us not in UPC territory will have to wait for Eircom / BT.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT have access to smaller cabinets than eircom and may be able to enable smaller communities. BT can get a 96 or a 128 port unit for a lot less than eircom pay for a 192 port unit ( the latter being the eircom standard) . In the main BT will resell eircom VDSL.

I can see BT filling in spots where

1. Fibre is available.
    2. eircom cannot see enought demand for their 192 port units.

Furthermore BT deploy VDSL MSANs I understand and eircom only deploy VDSL DSLAMs ( with VoIP for telephone) right now. Maybe they will use MSANs in Business Parks ...we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i must look for the eircom cabinet in my estate.

Already late. The basic announcement was made in May (promised in Late 2011 originally) and the detailed announcement is to be made tomorrow ( promised in July)

This is the May announcement.

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/index.php/2012/05/minister-rabbitte-launches-report-of-the-next-generation-broadband-taskforce/

I'd imagine tomorrow we'll get to see exactly how incompetent and inept our government actually is...

• Advertisement

Interestingly a lot of the tech stuff is written by Telcos themselves. Rabbittes lot is supposed to pull it together into a single 'national plan' that can draw down the EU 'Digital Agenda' funding to subsidise parts of it.

Some areas would be viable with 10% funding and some with 98% funding. The Telcos have stated, correctly, that this plan is to service between 15 and 30% of the POPULATION but the lowest density 15% of the population occupies around 80% of the land area of the state.

70% of the population occupies less than 10% of the land area of the state if you pick the most densely packed 70%. These are in pockets.....mainly but not invariably in towns and large villages and with no fibre between the pockets either.

Consequently the announcement tomorrow is about what to do to get half decent telecoms to 80% to 90% of Ireland...Geographically. Expect a load of 4G snakeoil.

You have never seen ANYTHING as utterly stupid and incompetent as the Department of Communications in Ireland...and I mean ANYTHING. I think it is a dumping ground for misfits who cannot do proper civil servanting myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Neffa2 wrote: »
    Thanks - do you have any idea when phase II will start/end?

I'm seriously considering putting an external aerial with a 3g router instead :(

ROC exchange works have started, KNN surveyors out on the road for ducting, so work should be starting soon on that.

looks like it could be still on for November

edit:

would also like to point out, that some areas, not all cabs were enabled

arctan wrote: »

You mean the more rural green cable cabinets I take it. ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

ROC exchange works have started, KNN surveyors out on the road for ducting, so work should be starting soon on that.

looks like it could be still on for November

edit:

Thanks - sounds promising. Why would a cab be excluded? My area has no UPC, although they are close by - it would be smart of eircom to upgrade it's captive base now so UPC has no incentive to move in.

BTW, tested O2 here. Getting 7MB down/1.2 up. So 5x faster than my eircom DSL.

Governemt announcement summarised

Pretty similar to what has been announced already. Mimimum of 30mb for every home in Ireland, which is nice.

Neffa2 wrote: »
    Thanks - sounds promising. Why would a cab be excluded? My area has no UPC, although they are close by - it would be smart of eircom to upgrade it's captive base now so UPC has no incentive to move in.

BTW, tested O2 here. Getting 7MB down/1.2 up. So 5x faster than my eircom DSL.

don't know to be honest, was told if an area is getting a rollout, all cabs are to be enabled
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You mean the more rural green cable cabinets I take it. ??

as above ....

but what I think it might be is, cabs with a lot of Direct feeds around them .. these direct feeds now have to be caught mid feed and directed to a cab which causes lots of hassle with ducting, pressurization etc...

was talking to an NGA tech a while back who said getting some of the stubborn direct feeds into a cab can take 2-3 weeks of work by the time all circuits are verified and tested

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I can think of at least two cabinets in the Drogheda exchange area of which maybe 10% of the served lines are less than 2km long! What would be the point of installing DSLAMs right beside those kinds of cabinets rather than moving the cabinet to the areas people actually live in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭IE2012

I can think of at least two cabinets in the Drogheda exchange area of which maybe 10% of the served lines are less than 2km long! What would be the point of installing DSLAMs right beside those kinds of cabinets rather than moving the cabinet to the areas people actually live in??

i have seen very little activity of cabinet installs in the Drogheda area
    apart from the hole in the ground that was dug, over a week ago.. at wheaton hall.

i would guess that it will be a slow rollout.

IE2012 wrote: »

i would guess that it will be a slow rollout.

why ? because specific activity isn't happening in your area ??

on a whole, since some of the splicing equipment has been delivered, rollout is past expectations

on a whole, since some of the splicing equipment has been delivered, rollout is past expectations

What exchanges should be fully marketable by christmas Arctan..I won't 'hold' you to it :) ...just at a guess and with a spot of tea leaf reading thrown in if required. :)

I know that a crossroads can go from nothing to finished in a fortnight flat and my opinion is that we are in for a dryish september and october when catching up will be feasible.....please don't threaten me if events go awry on the weather front. :p

• Advertisement

why ? because specific activity isn't happening in your area ??

movement in the area is quite slow from what i can see, with little information
    from eircom.

when a cabinet is made live with the new VDSL, will all connections through the CAB , ie eircom / vodafone / other operators customers , get a speed increase at the same time? or will lines be moved over one by one ? or how will that work i wonder.

Not at all.

1. The cabinets are 'marketable' at the same time in in logical clusters.

eircom wholesale releases the 'product' to all operators through an operator portal where they can order it up. eg they release all of Ballyboden one day or perhaps 4 or 5 exchanges worth on one day, who knows. Certainly 10s of cabinets each time. They'll hardly get Rabbitte to launch personally every single cabinet..sure they could never afford all the dinners in Buswells. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

2. If you order VDSL you get VDSL product ( 25mbits and above) If you don't you simply remain on slower legacy ADSL (ADSL1 up to 8mbit or ADSL2 up to 24mbit).

Not at all.

1. The cabinets are 'marketable' at the same time in in logical clusters.

eircom wholesale releases the 'product' to all operators through an operator portal where they can order it up. eg they release all of Ballyboden one day or perhaps 4 or 5 exchanges worth on one day, who knows. Certainly 10s of cabinets each time. They'll hardly get Rabbitte to launch personally every single cabinet..sure they could never afford all the dinners in Buswells. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

2. If you order VDSL you get VDSL product ( 25mbits and above) If you don't you simply remain on slower legacy ADSL (ADSL1 up to 8mbit or ADSL2 up to 24mbit).

yes but if you dont order VDSL, and stay on ADSL, i dont think you would see any change on your line ,, in terms of speed , ie speed wont increase on adsl.

IE2012 wrote: »
    yes but if you dont order VDSL, and stay on ADSL, i dont think you would see any change on your line ,, in terms of speed , ie speed wont increase on adsl.

I suspect that Adsl must cab launch in certain cases because the duct back to the exchange will be needed minus existing cable....meaning that Adsl could speed up a Lot for some. If duct not needed existing e side can be left in situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jackaroo2012

I'm in Galway City centre so I suppose I can expect Fibre Power broadband from Eircom by the end of the year?

I am currently with Vodafone I dont suppose they will be offering it?

I'm in Galway City centre so I suppose I can expect Fibre Power broadband from Eircom by the end of the year?

I am currently with Vodafone I dont suppose they will be offering it?

Vodafone just piggyback off of eircom lines. There is a list somewhere in the thread which shows the difference phases of this roll out.

Vodafone just piggyback off of eircom lines. There is a list somewhere in the thread which shows the difference phases of this roll out.

Thanks. I cant wait really!

Thanks. I cant wait really!

You had better wait, eircom have not announced Galway City centre at all.

You had better live west of the Corrib or east/north of a line from the Quincentennial to Moneenageisha....and also not in Knocknacarra.... if you want VDSL by early 2013.

You had better wait, eircom have not announced Galway City centre at all.

You had better live west of the Corrib or east/north of a line from the Quincentennial to Moneenageisha....and also not in Knocknacarra.... if you want VDSL by early 2013.

How can they not do the city centre that makes no sense! :mad:

• Advertisement

How can they not do the city centre that makes no sense! :mad:

I would not get too upset. They have only announced a relatively small number of exchanges so far! Most large towns and large parts of the cities have not been announced yet.

You should be done in the next year or so I reckon, in phase 3 or 4.

Advertisement