Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Ok, so you're saying that since you changed to bridging mode the modem side of your HG658 has been stable? So it's not an issue with the VDSL link?

Therefore, it could be something with the WAN interface (higher level protocol) which is causing the HG658 to choke, but that your own router can handle - but that's not an issue I see with my setup. So maybe VF are doing something different in my area?

Or, there is something in your LAN configuration which is de-stabilising the box at intervals which is causing the WAN connection to drop.

It will be interesting to see if a new box will resolve the problem. In the meantime, if you get the chance you might verify that the s/w and h/w versions are the same as I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

VF Fibre ordered - engineer due thursday. They have said I should get 12mb download and 1mb upload as a kind poster did tell me on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Outragous upload speeds from some of those images.

That would be magical for me and getitng back into streaming, have had to completely shut down my video content since I moved premises. Still no word from Eircom, keep relaying that the Donabate area is done, regardless of me asking when the village, the main ****ing part, could expect to be serviced.

All the while I'm now 2 months into an issue experienced on the line into the house, still no resolution.

Actually jealous as ****. I said I'd never got Eircom again, if they offered me FTTC tomorrow I'd snap their hand off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

iam still waiting for an insulation date ordered on the 5th of oct, have rang them a sh1te load of times to find out what the f1uck is going on.
    iam thinking the problem is iam with sky for bb and there is some hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

naughto wrote: »
    iam still waiting for an insulation date ordered on the 5th of oct, have rang them a sh1te load of times to find out what the f1uck is going on.
    iam thinking the problem is iam with sky for bb and there is some hold up.

Eircom efibre rep just called to the house . Informed me that efibre went live two weeks ago . He said speeds up to 70mg were available . I said it was more like 50mg as I had checked online . He said just ring them up as it was free to upgrade . I told him I was gonna hold off because I had heard indifferent reports of installations ( mostly from here ) . He said a tech from K&N would do the install , they have a checklist which you must tick off before they leave to confirm your speeds , correct setup , etc . Rep was abit abrupt tbh but I was glad someone from eircom actually knocked to say that it was ready to go efibre . I just can't bring myself to get it installed yet . I think I'd have a nervous breakdown going by people's stories here . Will try and hold out til after Xmas .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Lennyzip wrote: »
    . I just can't bring myself to get it installed yet . I think I'd have a nervous breakdown going by people's stories here . Will try and hold out til after Xmas .

it's a forum ... majority of people aren't going to come on and sing praises, they come on to vent .... installs, 80% are straight forward, it's people with every room of the house wired for telephone with that distibution point buried up in an attic or behind a wall where you'll have the disaster stories from ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Eircom efibre rep just called to the house . Informed me that efibre went live two weeks ago . He said speeds up to 70mg were available . I said it was more like 50mg as I had checked online . He said just ring them up as it was free to upgrade . I told him I was gonna hold off because I had heard indifferent reports of installations ( mostly from here ) . He said a tech from K&N would do the install , they have a checklist which you must tick off before they leave to confirm your speeds , correct setup , etc . Rep was abit abrupt tbh but I was glad someone from eircom actually knocked to say that it was ready to go efibre . I just can't bring myself to get it installed yet . I think I'd have a nervous breakdown going by people's stories here . Will try and hold out til after Xmas .
    What stories? Just don't order through a rep. Fibre is live in your area go ahead and order it over the phone. You know the possible pitfalls so make sure everything is working before the installer leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Don't hold off for too long. The busier cabinets could have reached capacity (192 per cab) by then.

As the others said, most installs work straight away and stay working.
    And I'll second not ordering at the door.

Maybe someone could clarify the 192 connections per cabinet for me. Surely Eircom know how many connections are available/active in the copper cabinet before they install the vdsl cabinet alongside,so if a copper cabinet has max capacity for 250 lines can't they just put a vdsl cabinet with 250 line capacity? Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Don't hold off for too long. The busier cabinets could have reached capacity (192 per cab) by then.

As the others said, most installs work straight away and stay working.
    And I'll second not ordering at the door.

Good point about the cabinet . The reason I can hold off is because I can actually get by at the moment on an 8mg connection . I'm not a gamer . I predominantly use it for Netflix , downloads & wifi in the house . It has always been steady and have never had a problem with it . I'm just concerned by so many tales of woe regarding installs and the subsequent hassles people have encountered afterwards . Sure I've spent the guts of 3 weeks trying to get an account re registered . I'd also prefer to order it online as I will have screen grabs of the order to back myself up should any issue arise , which seems to be happening a lot with lost of missing orders made online .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

jca wrote: »
    Maybe someone could clarify the 192 connections per cabinet for me. Surely Eircom know how many connections are available/active in the copper cabinet before they install the vdsl cabinet alongside,so if a copper cabinet has max capacity for 250 lines can't they just put a vdsl cabinet with 250 line capacity? Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

This is switch limitation. There is a space for 4 VDSL cards (48 "ports") each.

domeld wrote: »
    This is switch limitation. There is a space for 4 VDSL cards (48 "ports") each.
    Thanks for that. Are there any connection limitations in the copper cabinets?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

id order away it can take up to 20working days for it to get sorted,a lot of people have no problems with signing up and the change over from another bb provider is no hassel.

naughto wrote: »
    id order away it can take up to 20working days for it to get sorted,a lot of people have no problems with signing up and the change over from another bb provider is no hassel.

Yeah I'm already with eircom . I've been researching efibre with them for the last three months . I'm just hesitant because I have absolutely no wiggle room with taking time off for the install , I can't take a chance with the tech not turning up . Had sky TV recently installed and it was perfect , no hiccups . Ordered it online , was amazed how smoothly it went . However , I've been trawling boards for the last couple of months & the successful installs are few and hard to come by with eircom . I could be wrong and it could go perfectly but I'd rather wait til they get their act together . I'm not willing to go through with what seems a running theme with eircom . As I posted previously , they can't even manage to reset my online account , I can't even log onto it despite help from reps here and actual replies from the eircom webmaster to confirm that the account has been registered . Thankfully there is a generic link where I can check my broadband usage . I want the service , it costs nothing to upgrade , I just don't want to go through what a lot of people have done here ....

jca wrote: »

It's hard to know really.

A few of my local copper cabs have over 400 lines yet there's only 1 VDSL cab with each.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

At Last !

Well I think I have come to the bottom of my issue now ,

60 houses from 72 are showing up as enabled in my estate but speaking to CS on the phone they inform me that my estate is not actually due to go live until December 2013 but it will more than likely be the new year as they are running behind , the reason for this being problem's with some of the lines in the estate.

I really hope this is the case , he named the exchange/ copper cab I would be connected onto and said he is 100% that no one in the estate is able to get it despite what the address checker says

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Buddy of mine has switched from Eircom to VF for fibre.Eircom were wanting €45 a month or €35 for standalone BB with a paltry 30G/b limit.

VF gave him unlimited D/L for €32 and will have him up & running this week,Eircom said it'd take them 2 - 3 weeks to get him installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

just got mine done today in Fundalk, KN networks...my router was in the sitting room, phone socket was out in hall, drilled hole in wall and ran it through to the sitting room. Checked speed and it's only 30-35 Mbps, should be getting around 50 must check it out with them.... getting ping around 40-45ms is that ok ?

mada999 wrote: »
    just got mine done today in Fundalk, KN networks...my router was in the sitting room, phone socket was out in hall, drilled hole in wall and ran it through to the sitting room. Checked speed and it's only 30-35 Mbps, should be getting around 50 must check it out with them.... getting ping around 40-45ms is that ok ?

How far are you from the cabinet?
    That distance will dictate your speed.

30-35 would indicate ~800 mtrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

kaizersoze wrote: »
    How far are you from the cabinet?
    That distance will dictate your speed.

30-35 would indicate ~800 mtrs.

I thought it was the distance of the line rather than from the house to the cabinet, no?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

red_bairn wrote: »
    I thought it was the distance of the line rather than from the house to the cabinet, no?

Distance from the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

mada999 wrote: »

Depends what you mean by around 50. This is what I am getting out of a possible 50/15 so I must be near the cabinet. I don't actually know where it is.

3111359523.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Distance from the cabinet.

So say my line goes some numpty way around our estate up to the cabinet at perhaps 800m and the distance from my house to the cabinet is actually 600m, you reckon it'll be the distance that the line doesn't travel?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

So say my line goes some numpty way around our estate up to the cabinet at perhaps 800m and the distance from my house to the cabinet is actually 600m, you reckon it'll be the distance that the line doesn't travel?

Sorry for misunderstanding. You're a bit incoherent when you're trying to explain this. Your line is connected to the cabinet, so it's the distance of your line between your house and the cabinet.

Normally they run under footpaths.

That's what I meant. The length of the line. Not as the crow flies.
    In most cases the length of the line and the distance from the cabinet are roughly the same. Ocasionally the line takes the scenic route meaning the line is way longer that the expected distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

upc speed test is far more accurate than speedtest.net and the eircom speed tester

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/

also testing over wifi is not as accurate as been plugged in by the ethernet cable, it could show a difference of up to 10mb wifi v ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

He said speeds up to 70mg were available . I said it was more like 50mg as I had checked online . He said just ring them up as it was free to upgrade.
    Can anyone say whether they will increase from 50 to 70 for free if you ask.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

evosteo wrote: »
    upc speed test is far more accurate than speedtest.net and the eircom speed tester

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/

also testing over wifi is not as accurate as been plugged in by the ethernet cable, it could show a difference of up to 10mb wifi v ethernet

Speedtest.net is an OOKLA speedtest , so is UPC's

KOR101 wrote: »
    Can anyone say whether they will increase from 50 to 70 for free if you ask.

What I meant here was they are advertising " up to 70mg speeds " but in actuality the line is capable of 50mg . I did a line check on mine and said it was capable of 50mg .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

What I meant here was they are advertising " up to 70mg speeds " but in actuality the line is capable of 50mg . I did a line check on mine and said it was capable of 50mg .
    that's quite heavy speed, my friend.

Advertisement