Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

here's a weird one, I've signed up to eircom 50Mbps package.

Ran using my normal ip address and cannot get over 36Mbps?!

I signed up to a vpn service and ran a speed test (speed test.net) and it clocked the download at 94Mbps... is this even possible?!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

That would be measuring the speed from your VPN / proxy provider to the internet not from your house.
    If you look at the speed test result it will probably show that your ISP is not eircom
    mada999 wrote: »
    here's a weird one, I've signed up to eircom 50Mbps package.

Ran using my normal ip address and cannot get over 36Mbps?!

I signed up to a vpn service and ran a speed test (speed test.net) and it clocked the download at 94Mbps... is this even possible?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

I once did a speedtest through my VPN and I got the same result as I did with my own connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

mada999 wrote: »

VPN is peer to peer, after the initial lagtime, one is connected as directly as possible so amazing speeds would or could show in a test site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Mgit wrote: »
    That would be measuring the speed from your VPN / proxy provider to the internet not from your house.
    If you look at the speed test result it will probably show that your ISP is not eircom

aye silly me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

2 friends of mine got installed,connected to the same cab,speeds are all over the shop.I minute it's averaging 47Mb/s the next it's barely 2. Could it be a problem at the cab or a router problem? Both have VF routers,a neighbour of mine had similar readings & had to configure the router himself.Maybe I've been lucky but I've had steady speeds since install.
    Anybody else have similar experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Got switched over today with VF - eircom engineer turned up, plugged in router and left! That was it, barely even 5 mins! Once signal synced he left.

Got 12 MBs which is what I was told I would be expected so very happy. Speed through VPN is about the same as before when I was 4.5 Mbs, still getting 4.2-4.5MBs

On the wifi extender at the moment and this is what I am getting:

3116702056.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Hi
    Im in Arklow and although cabinets have been installed in my estate since the start of the year, my estate didnt go live in the first wave of the 40% in July.

My house still isnt enabled yet when I look at the line checker by address, 16 of the 35 houses in my exact section of the estate are live.
    Needless to say my house isnt one of the lucky 16.

Rang Eircom who cant tell me anymore than the line checker does.

Anyone know if there's a pattern to the rollout in these scenarios or do I just sit tight.

So frustrating!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Hi
    Im in Arklow and although cabinets have been installed in my estate since the start of the year, my estate didnt go live in the first wave of the 40% in July.

My house still isnt enabled yet when I look at the line checker by address, 16 of the 35 houses in my exact section of the estate are live.
    Needless to say my house isnt one of the lucky 16.

Rang Eircom who cant tell me anymore than the line checker does.

Anyone know if there's a pattern to the rollout in these scenarios or do I just sit tight.

So frustrating!

Yep Im in the same boat here ,

60 from 72 show as being live on the line checker ,

I rang eircom during the week to find out whats going on , turns out the estate is not actually live and wont be till the the new year due to problems on some of the lines .

It seems once eircom get 40% of cabs live in the area they up sticks and move to the next area , bit of a joke , a false economy really as they can say they have so many areas covered when in reality they dont !

sure it may keep the pen pushers and investors happy but not the customers !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Mc Love wrote: »
    Got switched over today with VF - eircom engineer turned up, plugged in router and left! That was it, barely even 5 mins! Once signal synced he left.

Got 12 MBs which is what I was told I would be expected so very happy. Speed through VPN is about the same as before when I was 4.5 Mbs, still getting 4.2-4.5MBs

On the wifi extender at the moment and this is what I am getting:

3116702056.png

Those wifi extenders can give very poor speeds.
    What are you getting when connected to the modem?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

When will Eircom enable Vectoring? Next year maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

kaizersoze wrote: »

He is far from cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Eircom dude just rang to say he would be at my house shortly.sapose to be able to get 30 down 10 up will see how we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

naughto wrote: »
    Eircom dude just rang to say he would be at my house shortly.sapose to be able to get 30 down 10 up will see how we go.

Keep us posted !

all done getting 28 down 7.72 up.i took pics when he was gone to the cabnit will post them later

big drop when iam downstairs horrible looking ping as well
    wireless downstairs
    3118019452.png

ethernet up stairs
    3118328804.png

happy with the results,ping is pretty high tho

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

kaizersoze wrote: »

12.09Mbs and just did a test there on wifi - 11.49mbs
    domeld wrote: »
    He is far from cabinet.

yeah just over the 1km mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

naughto wrote: »
    all done getting 28 down 7.72 up.i took pics when he was gone to the cabnit will post them later

big drop when iam downstairs horrible looking ping as well
    wireless downstairs
    3118019452.png

ethernet up stairs
    3118328804.png

happy with the results,ping is pretty high tho

Your ping will probably improve when your connection settles down. Also your wifi adapter on your laptop musn't be wireless-n.

zerks wrote: »
    2 friends of mine got installed,connected to the same cab,speeds are all over the shop.I minute it's averaging 47Mb/s the next it's barely 2. Could it be a problem at the cab or a router problem? Both have VF routers,a neighbour of mine had similar readings & had to configure the router himself.Maybe I've been lucky but I've had steady speeds since install.
    Anybody else have similar experiences?

We got to the root of the problem,it seems some VF routers need to be manually set.They come with the wifi channel setting as Auto & this is causing massive fluctuations in the wifi speeds.They have to be accessed & the wifi channel set from auto to whatever suits, eg. Channel 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zerks wrote: »
    We got to the root of the problem,it seems some VF routers need to be manually set.They come with the wifi channel setting as Auto & this is causing massive fluctuations in the wifi speeds.They have to be accessed & the wifi channel set from auto to whatever suits, eg. Channel 7.

Were the speed problems only on a wifi connection? Maybe the router was continually switching channels. I used a program that detected the surrounding networks and what channel they were on. I could then pick a channel away from their frequencies.

• Advertisement

ElNino wrote: »
    Your ping will probably improve when your connection settles down. Also your wifi adapter on your laptop musn't be wireless-n.

Never thought of that,Its a atheros ar5007 802.11b/g adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

jca wrote: »
    Were the speed problems only on a wifi connection? Maybe the router was continually switching channels. I used a program that detected the surrounding networks and what channel they were on. I could then pick a channel away from their frequencies.

inSSIDer.

jca wrote: »

I'm going on second hand info but the default setting was auto so I assume the channel was constantly changing and the laptop/phone was having a hard time picking it up.One minute speed was 47/48Mb/s, the next it was less than 1Mb/s.

Picking a fixed channel in the router settings instantly solved the problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Auto works. But only if there are no other devices on auto or devices that are only used intermittently, otherwise they may dance through the frequencies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

red_bairn wrote: »

That's it thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Vodafone promised that I would be upgraded automatically when efiber is available in my area when I signed up a few weeks ago. It became available and I phoned to see when I would be upgraded. the girl said I would have to go with 18 months contract so I said ok. Got letter in post confirming. Was expecting modem with 5 days as promised but no modem? I looked online at my account only to find out they had cancelled the order + my phone package and I was charged for local calls. Now this also happened on my original order when I was moving my number from UPC to Vodafone, they cancelled 3 times without contacting me or even giving a reason as to why. It is only when you phone them you will find out that it's cancelled but still no reason why. Eircom called the other day to offer me efiber, god I am realy sorry I am stuck with Vodafone what a shower.
    They promise to sort it all but I know I will be spending hours on the phone to them over the next few weeks.

:mad::mad::mad: not enough space to show how many times they cancelled without telling me.

281622.JPG

I am fedup with this services and the way I am treated as a customer, where can I complain? the
    Regulator, Consumers affairs or where??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

m8 wrote: »
    Vodafone promised that I would be upgraded automatically when efiber is available in my area when I signed up a few weeks ago. It became available and I phoned to see when I would be upgraded. the girl said I would have to go with 18 months contract so I said ok. Got letter in post confirming. Was expecting modem with 5 days as promised but no modem? I looked online at my account only to find out they had cancelled the order + my phone package and I was charged for local calls. Now this also happened on my original order when I was moving my number from UPC to Vodafone, they cancelled 3 times without contacting me or even giving a reason as to why. It is only when you phone them you will find out that it's cancelled but still no reason why. Eircom called the other day to offer me efiber, god I am realy sorry I am stuck with Vodafone what a shower.
    They promise to sort it all but I know I will be spending hours on the phone to them over the next few weeks.

:mad::mad::mad: not enough space to show how many times they cancelled without telling me.

281622.JPG

I am fedup with this services and the way I am treated as a customer, where can I complain? the
    Regulator, Consumers affairs or where??

Send an email to Vodafone with an official complaint about it and CC: Comreg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

remember wifi speed issues aren't only due to interfecence from other WLAN's .... numerous things work in the 2.4GHz spectrum ... noticabley Bluetooth and DECT phones, along with numerous wireless devices and sensors (I think some wireless alarm systems have sensors using the 2.4GHz range)

just to highlight, was in a shop beside a music store which had all sorts on display, wireless mics, bluetooth controlled effects, 4 WLAN's ... poor next door was having serious wifi issues

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

arctan wrote: »
    remember wifi speed issues aren't only due to interfecence from other WLAN's .... numerous things work in the 2.4GHz spectrum ... noticabley Bluetooth and DECT phones, along with numerous wireless devices and sensors (I think some wireless alarm systems have sensors using the 2.4GHz range)

just to highlight, was in a shop beside a music store which had all sorts on display, wireless mics, bluetooth controlled effects, 4 WLAN's ... poor next door was having serious wifi issues
    To clarify further, official DECT certified phones do not work in 2.4 GHz spectrum. They work exclusively from 1.88 – 1.9 GHz in Europe. If anyone gets a DECT phone, they will avoid WiFi interference at least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To clarify further, official DECT certified phones do not work in 2.4 GHz spectrum. They work exclusively from 1.88 – 1.9 GHz in Europe. If anyone gets a DECT phone, they will avoid WiFi interference at least.
    In an ideal world there would be no harmonics or sub harmonics, and all emission would stop at the edge of the band,

In reality filters are a compromise and IIRC you are allowed something like 1% leakage ( depends on band / power levels used ). Filters also work on the input so you may receive out of band transmissions.

Have you ever seen what happens to a CRT monitor when a mobile phone rings nearby or heard a WiFi access point chirping on the 2m amateur band ?

Advertisement