Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Moved out now and on 100 Mb/s UPC, but at home (Dennehys Cross) they've been told it's been delayed till June! Not sure if it's just the immediate area or more. Sickened, all my media is stored on a server there and I was hoping to stream it eventually. They were considering UPC but brand loyalty stopped them moving, this might be the final nail.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Before
    3111199804.png
    After
    3135135064.png

Cabinet is about 1400m away for some reason my line goes past a cabinet that's 700m away.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Dempsey wrote: »
    This is eircom, you'll pay for the privilege most likely

Not according to this report.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/upgraded-landlines-to-boost-broadband-for-12m-29592294.html

Ms Lennon said the faster services will be free of charge to existing and new Eircom customers. She also said rival operators that use Eircom's landline network would not be charged to access the new higher speeds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This is eircom, you'll pay for the privilege most likely

To be fair, if you are NGB you are not charged to upgrade. Its free, but you are entered into a new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Sully wrote: »
    To be fair, if you are NGB you are not charged to upgrade. Its free, but you are entered into a new contract.

We are on 3Mb at the moment but I dont think we are on NGB.

Before NGB was available, we were offered 1, 2 & 3Mb as a free upgrade (alternative was reduced price) and the contract was extended as part of the deal.

Since NGB was available, we've had no offered to improve the speed. I'd say we've been going over the caps regular enough without any throttling or warnings.

Today, I checked the fastest speed available and got this message

282624.PNG

The local exchange isnt on the rollout map at all so the current offers are no use to us and really dont want to be spending more than we currently are on broadband. I'd be more hoping that they'd upgrade the speed in return for a contract extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

We are on 3Mb at the moment but I dont think we are on NGB.

Before NGB was available, we were offered 1, 2 & 3Mb as a free upgrade (alternative was reduced price) and the contract was extended as part of the deal.

Since NGB was available, we've had no offered to improve the speed. I'd say we've been going over the caps regular enough without any throttling or warnings.

Today, I checked the fastest speed available and got this message

282624.PNG

The local exchange isnt on the rollout map at all so the current offers are no use to us and really dont want to be spending more than we currently are on broadband. I'd be more hoping that they'd upgrade the speed in return for a contract extension.

Have you typed in your address on the fibre checker? http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

Click 'Can I get it?' on the right.

You can be on NGB and still get poor speeds. The thing with fibre is that they don't seem to outbound everyone very well so you kinda need to keep watch yourself and request the free upgrade.

Yea, I did

Got the
    Your home is not in a fibre-enabled area yet...

But we might still be able to offer you our alternative broadband services

And the Advanced & Advanced Unlimited offers are available but they are much more expensive after the 6 months.

Currently have a talktime/broadband bundle (broadband home plus) and that is over €40 not including vat (€25 ex vat for broadband) and I really dont want to spend much more than that for broadband. The price for 3Mb should be coming down though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Yea, I did

Got the

And the Advanced & Advanced Unlimited offers are available but they are much more expensive after the 6 months.

Currently have a talktime/broadband bundle (broadband home plus) and that is over €40 not including vat (€25 ex vat for broadband) and I really dont want to spend much more than that for broadband. The price for 3Mb should be coming down though imo.

Contact them on the forums on Boards.ie, Eircom forums on ring them and tell them to put you on the 24Mb package as it is free.

We got a letter in saying that we would be changed to the new package on with the bill name changed however I had to actually get in contact with them over the forums to get an engineer to go to our local exchange and they ported us over to ADSL2 free of charge.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Contact them on the forums on Boards.ie, Eircom forums on ring them and tell them to put you on the 24Mb package as it is free.

We got a letter in saying that we would be changed to the new package on with the bill name changed however I had to actually get in contact with them over the forums to get an engineer to go to our local exchange and they ported us over to ADSL2 free of charge.

From what I read, its free to changeover, but the base cost goes from €25 ex vat to €30 for the 1st 6 months, then up to €45 p/m thereafter. Nothing really free there imo unless I'm misinterpreting it

From what I read, its free to changeover, but the base cost goes from €25 ex vat to €30 for the 1st 6 months, then up to €45 p/m thereafter. Nothing really free there imo unless I'm misinterpreting it

Well I think we are on 40-50 inc vat and UK calls. How much are you paying for the 3Mb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

I had heard of this . We have NGB 8mg connection . Are they upgrading all customers who are on this to 24mg even if you aren't signing up for efibre . Efibre is available to us now , free upgrade , but holding off due to horrible stories of install .

Well I think we are on 40-50 inc vat and UK calls. How much are you paying for the 3Mb?

Its part of a package with the house phone

Eircom Talktime Chatter: €27.15 ex VAT
    Broadband Home Plus €24.79 ex VAT (30.49 inc VAT)

Discount for the Talktime/Broadband Package is €9.15

So in total, its €42.79 ex VAT

But with VAT @ 23% means its 52.64 altogether

Lennyzip wrote: »
    I had heard of this . We have NGB 8mg connection . Are they upgrading all customers who are on this to 24mg even if you aren't signing up for efibre . Efibre is available to us now , free upgrade , but holding off due to horrible stories of install .

Why hold off? There are more positive installs than negative I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Lennyzip wrote: »

Everyone who cannot get fibre is seeing the Your home could be getting 24 Meg banner. But it doesn't mean that everyone can get it. When I rang the number it turned out my line could only handle 5. I even got a phone call from Eircom a few days later offering upgrade to 24 but I got them to check again and it was still only able for 5.

I have fibre since 2 Oct. Installed one week after I applied. Working perfectly since getting 47 down 13 up consistently. Got my final non fibre bill and my first fibre bill since and everything is correct. I am an example of probably 95% of orders/installations which went smoothly and I read that over 150,000 have been done. Only people who have reason to complain tend to write about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

domeld wrote: »
    I can check If e can get vdsl bb is yes i can give him a speed what he will get.
    I helped already few people here.
    Hi I PM'ed you my LandLine will you be able to check if I can get fibre or not and the speeds possible? Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

How are people finding Efibre in general?
    After years being stuck on very slow broadband back in January we got NGB but Efibre seemed forever away but now im seeing Monasterevin listed as being active in April.
    To say i cant wait is an understatement,just wondering how solid it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Not according to this report.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/upgraded-landlines-to-boost-broadband-for-12m-29592294.html
    Ms Lennon said the faster services will be free of charge to existing and new Eircom customers. She also said rival operators that use Eircom's landline network would not be charged to access the new higher speeds.

Thinking about this, I'd imagine that as I'm currently on the base 50Mb package, that I'll probably be offered an upgrade to 70 Mb, but I'll be committing to a new 18 month contract at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

BArra wrote: »
    anybody know whats going on with the Carrigtwohill, Cork cabinet situation?

seems to be maybe 4 cabinets or so installed with esb power for a few months on the west side of the village, nothing been done for months now for the east side of the village?

ETA is feb 14' now for go live from the eircom efibre map

Looks like things are starting to move again. Was out for a stroll earlier and found a new cab inside in Fota Rock. It's about 30 yards in from the main entrance on the left hand side. Still no movement on the one nearest me on the Carrigane Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Tweaky wrote: »
    Looks like things are starting to move again. Was out for a stroll earlier and found a new cab inside in Fota Rock. It's about 30 yards in from the main entrance on the left hand side. Still no movement on the one nearest me on the Carrigane Road.

Could you map that cab please?
    Instructions here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

bealtine wrote: »
    Could you map that cab please?
    Instructions here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

Thanks

Had it mapped - just forgot to post in the mapping thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Eircoms sense of humor wore off, they had an Efibre ad on a bus stop beside an estate where only some houses can get it(40% live and all that) even thought its advertised as being live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Apparently I can get 43Mb with eFibre according to Domeld, no idea how he can check but, I thought I'd be able for a lot more than that given the closest cabinet to me is around 400m but that musn't be the one I'm connected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Apparently I can get 43Mb with eFibre according to Domeld, no idea how he can check but, I thought I'd be able for a lot more than that given the closest cabinet to me is around 400m but that musn't be the one I'm connected to.

He works for either Eircom or Vodafone if he can run prequals. It may be the cab you mention, just the underground cabling does follow the path you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Dcully wrote: »
    How are people finding Efibre in general?
    Brilliant, has been working flawlessly since I got it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Brilliant, has been working flawlessly since I got it :pac:

Who are you with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

D_BEAR wrote: »
    Before
    3111199804.png
    After
    3135135064.png

Cabinet is about 1400m away for some reason my line goes past a cabinet that's 700m away.

Check out my post here - The default cable loss might be much higher with Eircom's cable than the norm that some cable calc tools use so you might well be connected to the nearest cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Check out my post here - The default cable loss might be much higher with Eircom's cable than the norm that some cable calc tools use so you might well be connected to the nearest cab.

Is this a 50 Meg fibre line?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

7upfree wrote: »
    Is this a 50 Meg fibre line?:eek:
    The fibre only goes as far as the cabinet (from the exchange). From the cabinet it's plain twisted pair copper to the end user. 70Mb available within about 300-400 metres from the cabinet, after that it drops off due to line length and interference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

KeRbDoG wrote: »

Thanks for the info but unfortunately for me the installer told me its connected to the other cabinet.:(

Advertisement