Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Does anyone know if it takes a few days for the order to show up on the my eircom page or when ringing 1901? I ordered today but still no order appearing on my account and I've read plenty of stories of orders going missing on here, I don't fancy waiting around for nothing so close to Christmas.

My order never showed up on my eircom or when I called 1901 it would say there are no orders on your account, so I would just talk to a agent and ask for an update on my order.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

jca wrote: »
    I ordered with Eircom on Monday after an unbearable weekend of sky "broadband". I got a confirmation text and email on Tuesday,no sign of the vdsl router yet. I hope it's here before next Monday for the install.

Eircom take the router with them on the day of the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

They weren't part of a fibre to the home trial?
    I don't think so .. because only 2 out 51 in the estate is fibre enabled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Eircom take the router with them on the day of the install.

Thanks for that I was starting to sweat. I was getting that Vodafone sinking feeling again. My calls are still with sky according to 19800. How long do they take to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

mailsanchu wrote: »
    Is it possible to have some houses in the estate is connected directly to exchange and others to some cabinet .. I cant find any cabinets near my estate
    I remember reading a document from eircom wholesale on their preliminary FTTC investigations before they started their Priory Park and Dundrum trial. I'm not sure of the number but it mentioned (something like 20 or 30% of??) lines were directly connected to the exchange's MDF without any cabinet in the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

mailsanchu wrote: »
    Is it possible to have some houses in the estate is connected directly to exchange and others to some cabinet .. I cant find any cabinets near my estate

yes

some issues regarding connections and records or change overs have been turning up

an area could have been a direct feed before (fed direct from exchange, no cab)

and:

1) when a cab has been put in place, the distribution points are there, but the customer is still connected to the direct feed (Cabinet was put in as a relief plan to let natural attrition of direct feed take effect for gradual changeover to cabinet feed)

2) customer was changed over to cabinetised feed but records weren't updated (it happens unfortunately)

3)customer was changed over to cabinetised feed, records were updated but there is a dual record, where the old direct feed record takes precedence

unfortunately, I don't know what procedure there is around this bar getting a technician out who knows the area and will investigate/change you over, or if its a records issue, highlight it to management

arctan wrote: »
    yes

some issues regarding connections and records or change overs have been turning up

an area could have been a direct feed before (fed direct from exchange, no cab)

and:

1) when a cab has been put in place, the distribution points are there, but the customer is still connected to the direct feed (Cabinet was put in as a relief plan to let natural attrition of direct feed take effect for gradual changeover to cabinet feed)

2) customer was changed over to cabinetised feed but records weren't updated (it happens unfortunately)

3)customer was changed over to cabinetised feed, records were updated but there is a dual record, where the old direct feed record takes precedence

unfortunately, I don't know what procedure there is around this bar getting a technician out who knows the area and will investigate/change you over, or if its a records issue, highlight it to management
    I cannot see any cabinets near by housing estate. What is the maximum distance a cabinet can serve ?

normal cabinet ? depending on where you are in the country, you could be easily 5 or 6 KM from the nearest cab

FTTC will only be supplied at the moment if you are within 1KM line distance (not as the crow flies) of the cab

normal cabinet ? depending on where you are in the country, you could be easily 5 or 6 KM from the nearest cab

FTTC will only be supplied at the moment if you are within 1KM line distance (not as the crow flies) of the cab
    i am almost sure there are no cabinets with in 1 km from our housing estate .. I am wondering how those 2 houses are fibre enabled then .. The whole fibre thing is big mystery :)

if they have FTTC service, they will be 1KM within a cabinet

• Advertisement

if they have FTTC service, they will be 1KM within a cabinet
    :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

eircom are now providing fibre up to 2km from cabinet, ive seen one boards user post his stats and he is 2.7km from the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Re: bottom of Blarney Street, Cork City
    Cork981 wrote: »
    Just passed them cabs a few minutes ago. The seem to be putting some triangle type roof on it.

Whatever they were doing, it wasn't commissioning it I don't think.

Only took a few hours, and it seemed they just extended the cabinet up and back so it's now flush with the wall behind it and has a sloping roof like you say.

Any one seen cabs like this? Can't think why they'd make this change. (Maybe to stop me from jumping up and down on it with impatience?)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Digidol

Quick question, probably a stupid one!

We have Eircom broadband in the house for the last few years, 8Mb and it's normally extremely reliable. eFibre is available in our area in January 2014, is it a free upgrade for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Gonzo wrote: »
    eircom are now providing fibre up to 2km from cabinet, ive seen one boards user post his stats and he is 2.7km from the cabinet.
    So what is the hard limit for distance from the cabinet now?

I wonder if BT in the UK transfer all customers to the VDSL2 cabinets no matter how far, to give everyone a bit of a speed boost or if it's just to people who can benefit from the much higher speeds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I wonder if BT in the UK transfer all customers to the VDSL2 cabinets no matter how far, to give everyone a bit of a speed boost or if it's just to people who can benefit from the much higher speeds.

it could be anything up to 3km, tho I think 2km is the new norm.

Also if you are currently within 2km of a proposed cabinet and currently connected direct to the exchange does that mean that Eircom will not provide efibre to that customer? Have eircom switched people from direct exchange to nearby cabinet once installed?

Gonzo wrote: »

extended reach isn't fully available yet, those would have been trial customers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Digidol wrote: »
    Quick question, probably a stupid one!

We have Eircom broadband in the house for the last few years, 8Mb and it's normally extremely reliable. eFibre is available in our area in January 2014, is it a free upgrade for us?

Yes but not automatic. You'll have to call them and order it when it becomes available.
    You'll also be tied into a contract. 18 mths I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Connect the people that dont have broadband first you shower of moronic idiots ffs every time eircom sales calls it's like this, them; we have a great deal on calls for the first six months! Me; can I get broadband? Them ; no **slams phone down***

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Not sure but I'd imagine it's the latter. They'd need a huge amount of ports in the VDSL cabs to hook everyone up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

Cant wait to get fibre ...... oh wait I cant even get any form of DSL yet :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

My parents had a really poor quality ADSL connection - they could only manage a wobbly 1.5mb and Skype wouldn't work to any extent no matter what router or modem we tried. VPN was impossible and streaming video was getting more and more difficult.

They got eFibre from Eircom at the start of the week and even though their nearest cab is as-the-crow-flies a good 1km away they're getting a beautifully stable 12MB down now. It's like night and day. I used to turn off the Wifi and work off my phone's HSDPA connection anytime I was there.

eFibre is obviously wonderful for those who can get the 45mb+ speeds but it's a godsend for those with middling-to-****e connections in UPC-free areas. If the government wanted to really have a broadband plan then they should provide funding to get these FTTC cabs installed in as many rural and small towns and villages as possible, and extend the reach as much they can to provide something useful (say around 5mb down). And don't talk to me about LTE / 4G - there's no point having these blazing fast speeds if you're capped at 20GB a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If the government wanted to really have a broadband plan

If they did they would have done it along the electricity grid.

Fibre to the local transformer or such, and multiple ways to get to homes after that.

If they did they would have done it along the electricity grid.

Fibre to the local transformer or such, and multiple ways to get to homes after that.

In fairness to Eircom its a huge undertaking on a fairly decrepid and rundown rats nest of ancient copper wire. I really can't see the ESB rolling out fttc to cabinets that aren't even built yet and even if they do,who's going to run the Internet end of things?? I hope in ain't going to be SKY because they haven't a clue. Leave the TV to the TV guys,electricity production/distribution to the Leccy experts and Telecoms to the Telecom guys. Vodafone should stick to the mobile phone market.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Vodafone have got the ESB partnership

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

In fairness to Eircom its a huge undertaking on a fairly decrepid and rundown rats nest of ancient copper wire. I really can't see the ESB rolling out fttc to cabinets that aren't even built yet and even if they do,who's going to run the Internet end of things?? I hope in ain't going to be SKY because they haven't a clue. Leave the TV to the TV guys,electricity production/distribution to the Leccy experts and Telecoms to the Telecom guys. Vodafone should stick to the mobile phone market.:mad::mad:

Would you think that replacing Eircom's copper wires with fibre cable is an easier task than stringing fibre along with electricity wires?

In addition ..... electricity wires go to the greater number of premises than Eircom's copper.

Once the fibre is in place all ISPs can use them, paying the owner of the network ..... in an ideal situation that would be in public ownership.

That is
    If the government wanted to really have a broadband plan

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ClonNGB wrote: »

Where you read that?

Would you think that replacing Eircom's copper wires with fibre cable is an easier task than stringing fibre along with electricity wires?

In addition ..... electricity wires go to the greater number of premises than Eircom's copper.

Once the fibre is in place all ISPs can use them, paying the owner of the network ..... in an ideal situation that would be in public ownership.

That is

I think its a bit more than stringing fibre along a few electrical cables. Running the fibre between pylons is the easy bit. What happens next? Fibre comes down the pylon to a single house trying to squeeze in by a fat esb cable tightly enclosed in a steel duct up by the meter, into the hall, into the router. I wonder how much that would cost? The logistics involved are frightening.

ClonNGB wrote: »

God help us. Vodafone couldn't connect me to adsl and all the copper is laid. What's black and frazzled and hangs from you gable? A Vodafone engineer installing your fibre via the esb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Actually in rural areas, it may make sense to connect even people up to 5km away to a cabinet.

Beyond 1.6km VDSL2 acts like ADSL2+, but many people in rural areas aren't connected to any BB or only ADSL broadband, so even ADSL2+ speeds would be a big improvement for them.

4mb stable at 5km would be a big improvement over sub 1mb/s and unreliable ADSL.

Advertisement