Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

So I called this morning as Navan is shown as live on the Map, they told me my local cabinet is not active yet despite being commissioned and they didn't have a date for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

I got connected too after all my hassle with them and guess what I'm getting 8 meg download and 9 upload an increase of 3 meg, ah well it's back on the phone again for a few more hours of that music (I hear it in my sleep now):rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Tullamore now Feb!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dunshaughlin moved yet again from February to March, we were due November 2013 originally - no sign of any work started apart from a few cabinets marked with paint. I'd imagine it will get delayed again further down the line.

Rang my Cllr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 TheCrimsonClown

Has anyone ever put in a request to change the cabinet they're connected to? I got fibre on Friday but we're still connected to the old cabinet which is about 2km away (so I've had absolutely no speed increase) despite there being brand new cabinets put in literally across the road from me. It's a joke that I've had to hound them about this, should have all been handled without my need to hassle them. Waiting to hear back from them about what's going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

efb wrote: »
    Rang my Cllr!

Does he work for Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

This may have already been covered so apologies if it has....was down in Cork over the weekend, and a cousin of mine told me he has been working in the South East lately Waterford, Enniscorthy and Gorey, he is subbing work of the crowd who are putting the cabinets in, think he lays new ducts and stuff like that. I asked him did he have much work left in Enniscorthy, and he said they are starting to install the "copper" cabinets shortly, bring efibre out to the countryside, ie running along the existing poles...he said we wouldn't get the same sort of speed as the cabinets already in place....but said we can expect up 50mb

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Does he work for Eircom?

He works for OCC that are delaying rollout with their extortionate charges

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Have any of you with efibre been suffering with slow speeds and high latency in the evenings like a lot of ADSL ngb customers or is efibre a little more stable? Getting really tired of 1mb down in the evening and pings 300+

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I notice from the eFibre map that Donegal town has shifted again, to February 2014. It was originally Sept, then Dec, then Jan, now Feb.

The cabs are all in, all have the yellow ID labels, though I guess that doesn't mean much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

efc67 wrote: »
    This may have already been covered so apologies if it has....was down in Cork over the weekend, and a cousin of mine told me he has been working in the South East lately Waterford, Enniscorthy and Gorey, he is subbing work of the crowd who are putting the cabinets in, think he lays new ducts and stuff like that. I asked him did he have much work left in Enniscorthy, and he said they are starting to install the "copper" cabinets shortly, bring efibre out to the countryside, ie running along the existing poles...he said we wouldn't get the same sort of speed as the cabinets already in place....but said we can expect up 50mb

I think they're starting to put copper cabinets over the Shannon side. I've noticed kn pulling fibre out on whites hill in clonhaston, it's about 3 miles from the town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

jca wrote: »
    I think they're starting to put copper cabinets over the Shannon side. I've noticed kn pulling fibre out on whites hill in clonhaston, it's about 3 miles from the town centre.

Thats good to hear, now if they could just do it to Cooladine i will be happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Have any of you with efibre been suffering with slow speeds and high latency in the evenings like a lot of ADSL ngb customers or is efibre a little more stable? Getting really tired of 1mb down in the evening and pings 300+

I did speedtests at various times in the day and the speeds are consistent no matter what time I ran the test.

Good stuff,Whites Hill is 1.5 miles from the Bridge in town.I was wondering how far out of town they'd be running fibre.

Sorry guys I made a mistake. The work in the shannon is sierra doing the water meters. The work in clonhaston is kn.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

eircom started cabinet work again in dundalk. KN are digging on coes road / inner relief road at the moment. Hopefully they start blackrock soon in time for the march date on website.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Got connected up to fibre via Vodafone today here in Loughrea.

With the laptop connected via Wi-Fi; I.m getting 21 download and 13 upload @ 155 ping.

With the laptop connected via cable; I.m getting 62 download and 12 upload @ 56 ping.

Only went live @ 16:30Hrs today so hopefully the above speeds remain.

regards,

Islanderre

islanderre wrote: »
    Got connected up to fibre via Vodafone today here in Loughrea.

With the laptop connected via Wi-Fi; I.m getting 21 download and 13 upload @ 155 ping.

With the laptop connected via cable; I.m getting 62 download and 12 upload @ 56 ping.

Only went live @ 16:30Hrs today so hopefully the above speeds remain.

regards,

Islanderre
    What speeds were you getting on adsl? What profile are you on? I got connected yesterday with Eircom. I was getting 11/0.8 whenever it suited sky, it was as low as 0.3/0.01 in the evenings, pings?? Forget it!! Just posted my stats in another thread, it seems to be getting faster and faster I got 46/15, 23 m/s ping a minute ago. I'm on the 50 meg profile about 550m from the cabinet. Sure is a long way from the first bb I got in 2005, 512/125 kb, I thought I was the business:D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

When I was on conventional broadband up to today I was getting:

Laptop connected via Wi-Fi; 11 download and .52 upload @ 63 ping.

The above are exceptional as during the evening; download often dropped to 0.5 or less and lately even went dead at times despite Vodafone saying the line was grand and me then going and buying a new router.

I hope for my sanity; I at least get a somewhat reliable service now.

Not a clue about Profile; so cant help you there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Seen contractors laying the orange ducting / or is it sub-ducting in dromiskin today over last few days did from castlebellingham down to village :D Maybe fibre might be done sooner than planned:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

raytaxi wrote: »
    Seen contractors laying the orange ducting / or is it sub-ducting in dromiskin today over last few days did from castlebellingham down to village :D Maybe fibre might be done sooner than planned:D

Don't expect it 'too' soon. They started pulling sub-duct here on July 1st. Still 5 cabs left to install. Live date is Feb but I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Seems there site is working again I called on Monday as the map was showing Navan is live, but they couldnt give me a date, now when my put my number into the site it teels me the go live date for efibre is the 13-Dec, hoping i can get it before xmass.

I had been away from eircom fro a number of years and I only went back last month to get eFibre in the meantime they gave us normal BB but the attenuation on the line is so bad i can only get 3mb/324kb hoping the connection to local cab will resolve this.

Looks like KN are hooking up the cab at the top of Summerhill,Enniscorthy to the power atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

raytaxi wrote: »
    Dromiskin would seriously benefit from VDSL2 cab rollout. It can't happen soon enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Dromiskin would seriously benefit from VDSL2 cab rollout. It can't happen soon enough!

Thats true. Got talking to engineer at local cab today he said there is talk of trying vectoring with extended reach vsdl for higher speed instead of new cabs. Time will tell also said problems with damp in new cabs in some area.

zerks wrote: »
    Looks like KN are hooking up the cab at the top of Summerhill,Enniscorthy to the power atm.

It's a strange one. That box was already powered and comissioned. It looks like they had to redo it for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭briany

Just got the new fibre BB in today. Speeds on Speedtest are fluctuating anywhere between 30 mb/s on the download to 45 but BT downloads, when they get going, go up to about 4.5 MB/s (I am aware of the difference capitalisation makes), so that's roughly on the upper end of the range. Now everything's connected to the router wirelessly at the moment because the KN man set it up out in the kitchen. Would a wired connection bring me closer to the stated 70mbps limit? Line attenuation is 8.1db/9.1db. I presume that's downstream/upstream but the router config page doesn't explicitly say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If your speeds are fluctuating test them on a wired connection to the ethernet port of the router and see if they're stable.

If not, call whoever you ordered it from as it could be a fault.

There's no question of speeds varying form the cabinet to the network as there should be tons of capacity. However, you might have a line issue to your house.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

If you want to convert your line attenuation to speed, put it in this website:

http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

Advertisement