Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

briany wrote: »
    Just got the new fibre BB in today. Speeds on Speedtest are fluctuating anywhere between 30 mb/s on the download to 45 but BT downloads, when they get going, go up to about 4.5 MB/s (I am aware of the difference capitalisation makes), so that's roughly on the upper end of the range. Now everything's connected to the router wirelessly at the moment because the KN man set it up out in the kitchen. Would a wired connection bring me closer to the stated 70mbps limit? Line attenuation is 8.1db/9.1db. I presume that's downstream/upstream but the router config page doesn't explicitly say.

What Spacetime said, you will need to test by a wired connection because you will get varying speeds on wireless. If you are capped at 50, request that you get changed to 70. Some people have asked on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭briany

red_bairn wrote: »
    What Spacetime said, you will need to test by a wired connection because you will get varying speeds on wireless. If you are capped at 50, request that you get changed to 70. Some people have asked on here.

Well it is the 70mbps profile according to this.

Here's the pertinent stats from the system monitor page. I'm not 100 percent on what it all means. Formatting will probably go a bit wonky but there you go. Anyway...

============================================================================
    VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 0 day: 6 hours: 29 minutes
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 20.542 Mbps 71.812 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.479 Mbps 71.672 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 12.2 dB 17.9 dB
    Actual Delay: 7 ms 7 ms
    Transmit Power: -17.7 dBm 14.5 dBm
    Receive Power: -26.1 dBm 5.3 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 8.4 dB 9.1 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 30.535 Mbps 127.000 Mbps
    VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
    Line Attenuation(dB): 1.5 10.2 14.5 N/A 6.7 14.7 23.1
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 1.5 9.5 13.5 N/A 7.4 14.6 23.1
    SNR Margin(dB): 12.5 12.3 12.2 N/A 17.8 17.9 17.8
    Transmit Power(dBm):-28.7 -19.3 -24.0 N/A 12.4 7.7 6.8

Just as a footnote, I'm not complaining here. I'm just curious. I pulled down a 4 gig file in less than 20 minutes. That used to take all night on the old 2mb connection.

I felt all

tumblr_ljmegzsjT81qigno9o1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Just as a footnote, I'm not complaining here. I'm just curious. I pulled down a 4 gig file in less than 20 minutes. That used to take all night on the old 2mb connection.

I felt all

lol, yeah, I was on 100/100 in S.Korea and felt the same. I reckon your speed should settle over the next day or two. But if you want a consistent speed you might want to be hard wired to the router. If you aren't too worried about that just leave it as is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If you want to convert your line attenuation to speed, put it in this website:

http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

When I put in my downstream Attenuation figure into the calculator, it just calculates my approx. distance and doesn't populate the other fields?

EDIT: The figure reported is 290db. But a Google suggests that's 29db. That suggests 15mb is the best speed I will get on fibre. I'm only about 500meters from the cabinet or so, the estate only has one cabinet. I'm getting around 2mb at the moment or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sully wrote: »
    When I put in my downstream Attenuation figure into the calculator, it just calculates my approx. distance and doesn't populate the other fields?

EDIT: The figure reported is 290db. But a Google suggests that's 29db. That suggests 15mb is the best speed I will get on fibre. I'm only about 500meters from the cabinet or so, the estate only has one cabinet. I'm getting around 2mb at the moment or so.

Are you basing this on your current DSL attenuation? Thats a flawed calculation as its measuring to the exchange not the cab. Cant tell what the VDSL attenuation will be till its fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sully wrote: »

In theory, at 500m you would have attenuation of ~7dB and a possible speed of ~68. In reality you should expect ~40-45 @ 500m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Anyone notice really bad compression on the dl over the aps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Anyone notice really bad compression on the dl over the aps?

What do you mean?

Is this the same router as everyone else is getting? The F1000? There seems to be different models if I image search it. This seems to be the slick flat one with gloss finish. Nice, I suppose but a bit more complicated than routers of old in terms of settings. Nothing unmanageable though.

Question, does the router plug into the wall using a regular old phone cable or not, because it looks like one but it could be a different spec. I have a 10 meter phone cable doing nothing now which the KN man plugged out which is why I'm thinking it's not compatible, but if it is I could bring the router to other rooms, making for a less hasslesome setup.

• Advertisement

Is this the same router as everyone else is getting? The F1000? There seems to be different models if I image search it. This seems to be the slick flat one with gloss finish. Nice, I suppose but a bit more complicated than routers of old in terms of settings. Nothing unmanageable though.

Question, does the router plug into the wall using a regular old phone cable or not, because it looks like one but it could be a different spec. I have a 10 meter phone cable doing nothing now which the KN man plugged out which is why I'm thinking it's not compatible, but if it is I could bring the router to other rooms, making for a less hasslesome setup.

Nope, its an RJ45 not an RJ11(Phone). Its designed to be different and should go where the techs fitted it if possible. If you wanted it elsewhere you should really have asked them before they got started.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

ED E wrote: »
    Nope, its an RJ45 not an RJ11(Phone). Its designed to be different and should go where the techs fitted it if possible. If you wanted it elsewhere you should really have asked them before they got started.
    Does that mean a router with out modem will work ?

mailsanchu wrote: »
    Does that mean a router with out modem will work ?

Nope. Its not ethernet coming down that line, its still a form of DSL(VDSL) so you need a modem. It just differentiates it from all the phone sockets so not so clever customers dont try and plug it into an existing phone extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

ED E wrote: »

My eircom efibre router is connected via the standard phone connection. The kn guy ran a cable for the router along the skirting board and put a standard female connector on the end. I'm getting great speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Net wasn't working for me this morning, rang VF and was told it was a speed stability issue and the only way to resolve it was to lower my speed from 70MB down to 60MB.

I've been getting 70MB for a month without issue only to be told this morning that the reason I had to be lowered is basically down to the amount of people getting fibre.

Does this now mean that the more people that get fibre in I will see my speeds dropped even further?

Gone from this:

bhqe.jpg

to this:

3164912779.png

Anyone else have a similar problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Net wasn't working for me this morning, rang VF and was told it was a speed stability issue and the only way to resolve it was to lower my speed from 70MB down to 60MB.

I've been getting 70MB for a month without issue only to be told this morning that the reason I had to be lowered is basically down to the amount of people getting fibre.

Does this now mean that the more people that get fibre in I will see my speeds dropped even further?

Gone from this:

bhqe.jpg

to this:

3164912779.png

Mine is still the same 47/13 out of 50/15 with Eircom. Your first result doesn't seem logical. If you were getting almost 70 down you should have been getting almost 20 up. You will notice that your new result moves you up the Faster Than league with the higher upload speed. I doubt if you will notice any deterioration in your service.

As far as I know it is your distance from the cabinet which determines your speed not the number of connections to the cabinet, which is limited to a maximum of 192 anyway.

Mine is still the same 47/13 out of 50/15 with Eircom. Your first result doesn't seem logical. If you were getting almost 70 down you should have been getting almost 20 up. You will notice that your new result moves you up the Faster Than league with the higher upload speed. I doubt if you will notice any deterioration in your service.

As far as I know it is your distance from the cabinet which determines your speed not the number of connections to the cabinet, which is limited to a maximum of 192 anyway.

Must of got speedtest at a bad time as the upload on the 70MB connection since that low reading has always been 15 - 16MB:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3093812143

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3126819737

I too thought it was distance that determined the speed :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Must of got speedtest at a bad time as the upload on the 70MB connection since that low reading has always been 15 - 16MB:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3093812143

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3126819737

I too thought it was distance that determined the speed :confused:

It could be more to do with Vodafones network capacity.
    I doubt it's a capacity problem between you and the cab or the cab to the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Gone from this:

bhqe.jpg

to this:

3164912779.png

amount of users on cabinet could effect your speed as the lines with vdsl can interfere with each other.
    Vectoring early next year should sort this out if the problem was caused by lines in a cable interfering with each other.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    It could be more to do with Vodafones network capacity.
    I doubt it's a capacity problem between you and the cab or the cab to the exchange.
    No idea now what is going on, was put back up to 70MB an hour ago, now I've been put down to 50MB?

3165204026.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

No idea now what is going on, was put back up to 70MB an hour ago, now I've been put down to 50MB?

3165204026.png

Check your stats on your router's configuration page and post them here.

Check your stats on your router's configuration page and post them here.

odlb.jpg

No idea really as of yet, my profile has been set back to 70MB, router now only showing 51MB @ 17:12. I was talking to Tech Support and asked to monitor it every hour, either a line issue or maybe the router (doubt it's the router)

17:47 and connection at 52MB
    18:15 and connection is now 55MB

Anyone experiencing the same or have any idea as to what is happening?

Last night and this morning connection is up and down, lowest being 48MB and the highest 59MB, just have to wait now for an engineer to call out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

jca wrote: »
    It's a strange one. That box was already powered and comissioned. It looks like they had to redo it for some reason.

I've been connected to that cab since October or that's the cab the installer told me I was connected to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

@hellboy - I would suggest that your problems lie with your connection to the VDSL cabinet (or whatever way your modem is connected to the socket in your house).
    Your signal to noise ratio (SNR) is marginal at 6.5dB, the fact that you have 407 CRC errors in just over a minute would suggest that the connection is flaky. The difference between your upstream and downstream line attenuation is also indicative of a cable or connection problem, either in the eircom cable bundle or in your connection to the master socket or there is severe interference on the line. How far away is the cabinet from your house?

Here is a screen shot of my DSL status page. The modem has been running continuously for almost four weeks and has had 300GB of data through it, so the error count is cumulative and amounts to just under 500 errors a day (these errors don't result in any data corruption, just slow the transfer slightly while the packets are retransmitted).

I had a 10 metre extension lead (old phone cable) from the master socket to my modem and although I was getting 66Mb download speeds my SNR wasn't great (about 9dB) so I replaced the cable with proper CAT5 and my SNR went up to almost 14dB and the error count dropped. Has been rock solid since.

284807.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

was there posts deleted or whats going on?
    iam getting email alerts but when i go on to the form there not there???????

Something odd happening with posts in the thread. I posted a reply to @hellboy99 and refreshed the thread view - no post visible. Closed the browser and refreshed again - post not visible. Posted it again and then could see it posted twice, together with @naughto's comment. Deleted duplicate post, now none visible :eek: Database problem maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

fat-tony wrote: »
    I had a 10 metre extension lead (old phone cable) from the master socket to my modem and although I was getting 66Mb download speeds my SNR wasn't great (about 9dB) so I replaced the cable with proper CAT5 and my SNR went up to almost 14dB and the error count dropped. Has been rock solid since.

I thought CAT5 cables were Ethernet cables? They're the ones that go from the router to the PC/laptop.

SeatalkHS%20Patch%20Cable%20Ends.jpg

Do VDSL routers require these telephone cables like the DSL routers use?

telephone-cable.jpg

CAT5 is just a cable type. Uses four twisted pairs. Normally used for ethernet network with RJ45 (8P8C) connectors as in your picture. The flat phone cable in your picture is supplied with the modem/router and is ok over a short distance (not 10m) as it is not twisted pair. I just used one pair of CAT5. RJ45 connector on one end (NTU or master socket) and RJ11 on the other into my VF modem/router. The old extension cable was using alarm cable rather than proper twisted pair. Anyway - it's hellboy's issue we are trying to sort out - you asked him to post his stats ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

the wifi is after going on the router,iam on hold to eircom for the last 15mins

edit.modem is sha1ged there sending out a new one,i only have this one a month or so

Advertisement