Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

fat-tony wrote: »
    @hellboy - I would suggest that your problems lie with your connection to the VDSL cabinet (or whatever way your modem is connected to the socket in your house).
    Your signal to noise ratio (SNR) is marginal at 6.5dB, the fact that you have 407 CRC errors in just over a minute would suggest that the connection is flaky. The difference between your upstream and downstream line attenuation is also indicative of a cable or connection problem, either in the eircom cable bundle or in your connection to the master socket or there is severe interference on the line. How far away is the cabinet from your house?
    Cab is right behind my house and the exchange about 5 minutes away.

Just been onto VF there now, fault is at the exchange, card blown, engineers been at it since this morning and still not fixed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭shaneward2004

Rang eircom this morning about efibre in Carrickmacross, they said to ring back January 15th to make an order. Fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Cab is right behind my house and the exchange about 5 minutes away.

Just been onto VF there now, fault is at the exchange, card blown, engineers been at it since this morning and still not fixed yet.
    5 minutes - is that a distance measurement?
    Seriously - the only issue is the distance and quality of line between your gaff and the cabinet! Your stats as posted on your DSL stats page are dreadful!

5 minutes - is that a distance measurement?
    Seriously - the only issue is the distance and quality of line between your gaff and the cabinet! Your stats as posted on your DSL stats page are dreadful!
    It is to me :P

All fixed now:

3170637536.png

Had to have junction points and cable replaced in my home that Eircom installed at time of Fibre install. 100% now and CRC errors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

What are CRc errors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

naughto wrote: »
    What are CRc errors

Errors that Santa puts on your router if you've been a bad boy! :D

red_bairn wrote: »
    Errors that Santa puts on your router if you've been a bad boy! :D
    so it knows when iam on red tube jesus no wounder i have so many erros:D:D

naughto wrote: »
    so it knows when iam on red tube jesus no wounder i have so many erros:D:D

^^

Well the CRC is used to detected common errors caused by noise in transmission channels...

sorry about all the questions i have very little crc errorsbut have a lot of FEc errors
    VDSL Counters

Downstream Upstream
    Since Link time = 32 min 29 sec
    FEC: 9861 0
    CRC: 8 0
    ES: 3 0
    SES: 0 0
    UAS: 0 0
    LOS: 0 0
    LOF: 0 0
    LOM: 0 0
    Latest 15 minutes time = 2 min 58 sec
    FEC: 712 0
    CRC: 0 0
    ES: 0 0
    SES: 0 0
    UAS: 0 0
    LOS: 0 0
    LOF: 0 0
    LOM: 0 0
    is it to do with seeding torrents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Phone cables are a slight mess in my house with an extension running for phone and router on a separate line (that for some reason won't work if phone+router are connected to same line).

My question is.. will the engineer run a new cable to new faceplate if I ask him to? (It's only approx. 10 meters) and also would it be cat5?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Noticed an engineer from KN at the Cab in my estate , so I wandered over ,

Me :

How's it going ? Just checking if that Cab is actually live yet ?

Him:

No there has been delays in the area , although we are running the final testing now on this cab and it should be live with in a week ,

So there ya have it , although the Eircom checker has being saying for months my estate is live it isnt ,

Also he said

" When the cabinet is commissioned it will have the yellow tag on it "

I know thats not the case all over but seems to be in the Newbridge area .

Hopefully we will be up and running in the New year as I cant see much being done after Friday until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

My cab doesn't have a yellow sticker but I've fibre since last Monday.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    It is to me :P

All fixed now:

3170637536.png

Had to have junction points and cable replaced in my home that Eircom installed at time of Fibre install. 100% now and CRC errors :)
    CRC is "cyclic redundancy check" - it's a form of checksum attached to the data packet to ensure that corrupted bits are detected.

Sooooo - it was crap cabling after all;)

They were spinning complete BS to you as regards the problem in the exchange - imagine that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

not necessarily spinning bull****... sounds like there may have been a faulty line test on the line interface ...
    a remote line test is done on all faults cleared .. if the line test shows a fault, or is faulty itself, it will fail the overnight linetest, resulting in the fault being automatically re-generated and re-sent out to the technician

this linetest is available to the technicians on their phones, who use it to test the line as they go through the fault finding process

it's a common secondary fault (or sometimes the primary fault), and even though your line may be working fine in some aspect, the problem of not being able to test it properly was also highlighted when the fault was generated

The data provided on the DSL statistics page of the modem user interface (which presumably VF should be able to download via remote management) told the story completely. Any analysis of it would have shown that a problem existed between the modem interface and the DSLAM, based on the poor SNR and attenuation readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Is everyone on efibre on the 18 month contract with eircom, I dont want to commit that long, but maybe Im reading the t&c wrong?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

CRC is "cyclic redundancy check" - it's a form of checksum attached to the data packet to ensure that corrupted bits are detected.

Sooooo - it was crap cabling after all;)

They were spinning complete BS to you as regards the problem in the exchange - imagine that!

You could well be right, started doing the same thing again this morning, just been onto VF and they are sending a new router out as they think the router is the problem.

If they have replaced the cables and tested the line as ok and you are getting the same poor SNR and problems with attenuation, then the modem could be the issue - the DSL stats page (please post) would be helpful for comparison with the previous. Did they not check the modem stats while they were in your house?

If they have replaced the cables and tested the line as ok and you are getting the same poor SNR and problems with attenuation, then the modem could be the issue - the DSL stats page (please post) would be helpful for comparison with the previous. Did they not check the modem stats while they were in your house?
    Stats were checked and everything was fine, here is the current stats for last hour:

ud34.jpg

Current speedtest:

3173086376.png

Your attenuation figures are much better now - you must be closer to the cabinet than I am (about 350m). Your SNR is not great at 9dB but should be ok and the fact that there are no errors logged in an hour is good. So would you call the problem intermittent at this stage? Have you tried "wiggling" the DSL phone line cable from where it's connected to your modem while refreshing the stats page and maybe doing the same at the master socket? Maybe it's a flaky internal connection in the modem?

• Advertisement

Your attenuation figures are much better now - you must be closer to the cabinet than I am (about 350m). Your SNR is not great at 9dB but should be ok and the fact that there are no errors logged in an hour is good. So would you call the problem intermittent at this stage? Have you tried "wiggling" the DSL phone line cable from where it's connected to your modem while refreshing the stats page and maybe doing the same at the master socket? Maybe it's a flaky internal connection in the modem?
    I'm about 150m from the cab.

It's certainly intermittent with the router, 3 hard resets and 5 - 7 on/off with the router to get it going at the minute, also hit and miss too with trying to access the router settings and to get the WiFi going on it, sometimes the lights on the router don't come on either. I could have the net end of things working fine via LAN but not via WiFi, you can connect via WiFi fine but just don't have internet access.

If the lights (as in the power and the link LEDs) are not on all the time then there is something wrong with the unit or with the power brick.

The internet, WiFi and ethernet LEDs (depending in which ethernet port is attached) should be green and will flash as data is being transmitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They've just installed at least one VDSL2 cabinet in Mount Oval in Rochestown in Cork.

This is on the Douglas exchange which was completed in Phase 1
    So, obviously in-fill work is still under way in areas that are complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

fill in work is well underway

arctan wrote: »
    fill in work is well underway

I'd love to hear what bull they'd say about our local cabinet. It's been sitting there for 8months now with no orders yet. There must be some big problem if they haven't commissioned it (eventhough they have numbers on the system, which I think is a load of bull as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They've just installed at least one VDSL2 cabinet in Mount Oval in Rochestown in Cork.

This is on the Douglas exchange which was completed in Phase 1
    So, obviously in-fill work is still under way in areas that are complete.

Any news about the one near curragh woods ?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

gordonnet wrote: »
    Any news about the one near curragh woods ?

checked this morning there is a concrete base done in curragh woods now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

gordonnet wrote: »
    checked this morning there is a concrete base done in currant woods now...

Yum yum I love currants:D

If the lights (as in the power and the link LEDs) are not on all the time then there is something wrong with the unit or with the power brick.

The internet, WiFi and ethernet LEDs (depending in which ethernet port is attached) should be green and will flash as data is being transmitted.

This is what I got from one VF tech support agent regarding the problems with my fibre service; "if the router is connected to the MDP (Master socket) via a cable length of more than 2 - 3 feet it will not work. It will not work on the CAT5 extension that the engineer installed in my home"

Questioned about this on the VF Community forum and this is the reply;
    Technically, you can, but no support will be given for such a configuration - if there's any need for technical assistance, you'll be asked to return the router to the MDP

http://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Services-at-Home/Awful-Tech-Support-experinece/td-p/139044

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Do the VDSL router have a speed limit? Will the current ones handle the 200Mb were supposed to get when vectoring is enabled?

Advertisement