Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Run a few against manchester or something. That'd give real world idea of goodput.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

ED E wrote: »
    Run a few against manchester or something. That'd give real world idea of goodput.

Manchester:

3215316356.png

Poor, to say the least! Problem with the network in general, or my own connection?

Another test from Manchester:

3215330313.png

Well, it's just after midnight, re-ran tests on speedtest.net, using servers in Dublin, Dundalk, Sligo and even Manchester.

All download speeds are back up to around 47 Mb/s compared to the wildly varying results just 30 minutes ago. Are restrictions being applied across the network before now causing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Blackrock co. Louth changed to may now from march. Was dec couple of months back and then changed to march and now may in line with castlebellingham. Wonder what the hold up is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Well, it's just after midnight, re-ran tests on speedtest.net, using servers in Dublin, Dundalk, Sligo and even Manchester.

All download speeds are back up to around 47 Mb/s compared to the wildly varying results just 30 minutes ago. Are restrictions being applied across the network before now causing this?

Around that time my download went to around 15, nearly always 47. Upload stayed around 13 as per usual. Back to normal now. I wonder could it be something to do with Vectoring? I don't know what is involved in applying vectoring to the lines but it might cause some disruption if it was being tested?

• Advertisement

Around that time my download went to around 15, nearly always 47. Upload stayed around 13 as per usual. Back to normal now. I wonder could it be something to do with Vectoring? I don't know what is involved in applying vectoring to the lines but it might cause some disruption if it was being tested?

I'm not alone then!:). Upload speeds using Dundalk server varied from 12 to 15. Varied with the other servers used too. The guy on Eircom's tech support said testing had been going on in Drogheda & other areas (he mentioned Ballyboden I think too) in relation to vectoring. Didn't say when though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I'm not alone then!:). Upload speeds using Dundalk server varied from 12 to 15. Varied with the other servers used too. The guy on Eircom's tech support said testing had been going on in Drogheda & other areas (he mentioned Ballyboden I think too) in relation to vectoring. Didn't say when though.

I am getting high pings on game servers in the UK (but not all) and mainland Europe in the evening. This has all begun to happen in the last month or so. I will do some tracerts tomorrow and other evenings to find out where the problem is. :/

Same again tonight. Big slowdown in speeds after 9pm. Fine once midnight has passed. Used Manchester as a stark illiustration. How are other people's efibre speeds during this time?

3217680247.png3217848043.png

3217895986.png3217941051.png

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Same again tonight. Big slowdown in speeds after 9pm. Fine once midnight has passed. Used Manchester as a stark illiustration. How are other people's efibre speeds during this time?

My efibre speed has been all over the place lately! Worst I seen it go to today was 7megs , think the time was 1pm.
    My upload speed hasn't reduced by much compared to my down speed.
    I've checked there now and its back to normaL 47 DOWN 18 UP.
    Connected to the VDSL cab outside Lennonstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Mine was back to normal last night. Tuesday was the only bad night I've had since it was installed. I wonder are they routing traffic differently since the storms? My traffic always went through Cork but since the storms its going through Dublin or sometimes Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

The map now shows Bettystown, County Meath, as enabled (last week it was saying February) although when I put in my phone number it says it's not available at my house yet....

"Fibre broadband rollout is underway in your area, however your address is not enabled yet".

Hopefully any day now - does anybody in the Bettystown/Laytown area have it already?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

The map now shows Bettystown, County Meath, as enabled (last week it was saying February) although when I put in my phone number it says it's not available at my house yet....

"Fibre broadband rollout is underway in your area, however your address is not enabled yet".

Hopefully any day now - does anybody in the Bettystown/Laytown area have it already?

Blanchardstown July to September, rang them, work finished in Decemeber, still getting that message and when you ask someone,work will be done over the year,we cant give you a date

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jca wrote: »
    Mine was back to normal last night. Tuesday was the only bad night I've had since it was installed. I wonder are they routing traffic differently since the storms? My traffic always went through Cork but since the storms its going through Dublin or sometimes Belfast.

UPC have been having routing issues or so I hear. Gamers having big problems with traffic to mainland europe going via the US. This may be a Tier 1 provider issue and not directly eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

UPC have been having routing issues or so I hear. Gamers having big problems with traffic to mainland europe going via the US. This may be a Tier 1 provider issue and not directly eircom.

I thought something was up but I never tested with a tracert.

I was getting high pings on some UK servers and other UK servers were fine. But mainland Europe, mainly German servers, were at 120ms+ (usually should be 70).

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Cork981

This poor cab got flooded in Cork City during the week.
    Wonder did it survive?

Yeah, just off the phone with them.....they gave me the same line

Cork981 wrote: »
    Wonder did it survive?

ha! I think not!

Yeah, just off the phone with them.....they gave me the same line

Even better some houses in my estate can get it, a real do a bit move on and hope no one notices effort

jeffk wrote: »
    Even better some houses in my estate can get it, a real do a bit move on and hope no one notices effort

I've waited 9 months for the site to change from "not available" to "available in your area, just not in your house".

If I have to wait another 12 months, I will be none to please

I've waited 9 months for the site to change from "not available" to "available in your area, just not in your house".

If I have to wait another 12 months, I will be none to please

Its madness how some houses can and cant get it.

The only thing keeping me from going to UPC is wiring, we have two desktops here and don't fancy the hassle of changing from an Eircom set up.

• Advertisement

The only thing keeping me from going to UPC is wiring, we have two desktops here and don't fancy the hassle of changing from an Eircom set up.

It makes no sense to me, really.

I would have switched to UPC years ago, but I'm out in the sticks so I can't and probably never will be able to, so I'm restricted to whatever Eircom tells me

It makes no sense to me, really.

I would have switched to UPC years ago, but I'm out in the sticks so I can't and probably never will be able to, so I'm restricted to whatever Eircom tells me

I know the 40%=live on their map,but then that shouldnt be,do the whole are and then go and says live.

Suppose your lucky you have no choice in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

What hassle? You can wire up 4 nics to the horizon box. Or you could go wifi. Would be worth it for this to fair,

3220015293.png

And that's on a go slow at the moment.

What hassle? You can wire up 4 nics to the horizon box. Or you could go wifi. Would be worth it for this to fair,

3220015293.png

And that's on a go slow at the moment.

running the connection from the sitting room to a router at the back of the house to spilt to two pcs

or buying two wireless sticks or cards

homeplugs seem to much messing with cant plug em into extension sockets etc

believe you me id love speeds even half that , i download everything i watch and do a lot in 720p now , so would love more speed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

http://ftp.heanet.ie/debian-cd/7.2.0-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-7.2-amd64-kde-desktop.iso

Try grabbing that file. Will give you a real world "goodput" figure.

Still wired I assume?

It is almost "real world" but not totally real world - because it is (or probably is) all within IRL.

Try grabbing one of these files that come from Cachefly - a state of the art content server. I don't think they have a server in Ireland - ie they don't peer with Inex.ie or cix.ie

https://www.inex.ie/ixp/peering-matrix

Cachefly network map: http://www.cachefly.com/technology.html

Download

a) (1.5 GB) http://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp4/twit.cachefly.net/video/twig/twig0231/twig0231_h264m_1280x720_1872.mp4

b) (1.0 GB) http://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp4/twit.cachefly.net/video/twiet/twiet0074/twiet0074_h264m_1280x720_1872.mp4

c) (1.6 GB) http://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp4/twit.cachefly.net/video/sn/sn0435/sn0435_h264m_1280x720_1872.mp4

If you have a 200 Mbits/sec connection, Cachefly will normally download at that speed, (assuming a non-fraudulent ISP).

believe you me id love speeds even half that , i download everything i watch and do a lot in 720p now , so would love more speed

720p is fake HD - Sky use it to con the ejits into thinking that they have HD television service.

1080p video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q6X1Ze6p7Y

(You need to then select HD 1080p using the HD (star) icon). Play in full screen on an IPS display, if available to you.

Cork981 wrote: »
    Wonder did it survive?

These street cabinets should be mounted on a base of concrete, unless they are located on a hilly area where there is little of no chance of flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

you are correct... They should have mark an area live only if all the houses in the area. They are doing this because there are no competition for them.. If the proposed esb ftth becomes live then situation may change. I am not sure about esb ftth

Impetus wrote: »
    720p is fake HD - Sky use it to con the ejits into thinking that they have HD television service.

1080p video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q6X1Ze6p7Y

(You need to then select HD 1080p using the HD (star) icon). Play in full screen on an IPS display, if available to you.

The lidl Tv I have cant play the 1080p non youtube files,most of the time I download mkv 720 or 1080,im sure they arent "real HD", but are still a vast improvement on sd videos

• Advertisement

mailsanchu wrote: »
    you are correct... They should have mark an area live only if all the houses in the area. They are doing this because there are no competition for them.. If the proposed esb ftth becomes live then situation may change. I am not sure about esb ftth

I agree , its them or UPC and then most people cant pick UPC.

Im surprised there wasnt a scheme set up to blanket the whole country asap and offer people the work on short term contracts in each county. Looks great on paper and im sure most people would love any work, no matter how short term it is.

Advertisement