Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

jeffk wrote: »
    I agree , its them or UPC and then most people cant pick UPC.

Im surprised there wasnt a scheme set up to blanket the whole country asap and offer people the work on short term contracts in each county. Looks great on paper and im sure most people would love any work, no matter how short term it is.
    Does any body know what is happening with ESB FTTH plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

mailsanchu wrote: »
    Does any body know what is happening with ESB FTTH plan

http://irelandoffline.org/2012/09/finally-some-good-news-but-a-lot-yet-to-be-done/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Quote:
    Originally Posted by naughto viewpost.gif
    this was when i got it in stalled
    3118328804.png

============================================================================
    VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 0 day: 1 hour: 39 minutes
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 8.251 Mbps 30.795 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 8.191 Mbps 30.720 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 11.7 dB 12.4 dB
    Actual Delay: 6 ms 8 ms
    Transmit Power: 8.3 dBm 12.8 dBm
    Receive Power: -6.5 dBm -16.3 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 14.8 dB 29.1 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 13.971 Mbps 48.888 Mbps
    VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
    Line Attenuation(dB): 7.4 40.1 59.2 N/A 19.4 50.4 76.5
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 7.4 39.3 56.2 N/A 27.6 50.0 N/A
    SNR Margin(dB): 11.7 11.7 11.7 N/A 12.4 12.4 N/A
    Transmit Power(dBm): 0.8 6.0 1.7 N/A 11.2 7.7 N/A

this is me now
    some thing wrong some where
    3220421016.png

VDSL Training Status: Showtime
    Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
    VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
    Traffic Type: PTM Mode
    Link Uptime: 2 days: 3 hours: 53 minutes
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 8.251 Mbps 30.795 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 8.191 Mbps 30.720 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 11.5 dB 12.7 dB
    Actual Delay: 4 ms 8 ms
    Transmit Power: 8.4 dBm 12.8 dBm
    Receive Power: -6.6 dBm -16.0 dBm
    Actual INP: 2.0 symbols 3.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 15.1 dB 28.8 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 14.856 Mbps 49.184 Mbps
    VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
    Line Attenuation(dB): 7.3 40.0 59.1 N/A 18.9 50.2 76.2
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 7.3 39.2 56.0 N/A 27.2 49.8 N/A
    SNR Margin(dB): 11.4 11.5 11.6 N/A 12.7 12.7 N/A
    Transmit Power(dBm): 0.6 6.2 2.1 N/A 11.1 7.8 N/A

VDSL Counters

Downstream Upstream
    Since Link time = 53 min 21 sec
    FEC: 477567 570
    CRC: 210 0
    ES: 66 0
    SES: 0 0
    UAS: 0 0
    LOS: 0 0
    LOF: 0 0
    LOM: 0 0
    Latest 15 minutes time = 8 min 51 sec
    FEC: 400 0
    CRC: 0 0
    ES: 0 0
    Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
    FEC: 640 0
    CRC: 0 0
    ES: 0 0
    Latest 1 day time = 3 hours 53 min 51 sec
    FEC: 43986 0
    CRC: 17 0
    ES: 7 0
    Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
    FEC: 249413 145
    CRC: 119 0
    ES: 32 0
    Total time = 1 days 3 hours 53 min 51 sec
    FEC: 477567 570
    CRC: 210 0
    ES: 66 0
    UAS: 28 28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Impetus wrote: »
    It is almost "real world" but not totally real world - because it is (or probably is) all within IRL.

Try grabbing one of these files that come from Cachefly - a state of the art content server. I don't think they have a server in Ireland - ie they don't peer with Inex.ie or cix.ie

https://www.inex.ie/ixp/peering-matrix

Cachefly network map: http://www.cachefly.com/technology.html

Download

a) (1.5 GB) http://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp4/twit.cachefly.net/video/twig/twig0231/twig0231_h264m_1280x720_1872.mp4

b) (1.0 GB) http://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp4/twit.cachefly.net/video/twiet/twiet0074/twiet0074_h264m_1280x720_1872.mp4

c) (1.6 GB) http://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp4/twit.cachefly.net/video/sn/sn0435/sn0435_h264m_1280x720_1872.mp4

If you have a 200 Mbits/sec connection, Cachefly will normally download at that speed, (assuming a non-fraudulent ISP).

Once again, general slowdown in speed after 9pm to midnight. Downloaded the file in bold at around 10.45pm. Download speed started at 1.1 MB/sec and increased to 2 towards the end. Downloaded the same file again just now and the speed was 4.4 MB/sec all the way through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You results are very clear and repeatable Mr Cumulonimbus. Get onto tech support and get them to log the congestion for investigation if you havent already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Once again, general slowdown in speed after 9pm to midnight. Downloaded the file in bold at around 10.45pm. Download speed started at 1.1 MB/sec and increased to 2 towards the end. Downloaded the same file again just now and the speed was 4.4 MB/sec all the way through.

This is the most appalling download speed I have ever come across for this CDN. Even the WiFi in the most incompetent hotel, full of guests, should be able to beat this.

Impetus wrote: »
    This is the most appalling download speed I have ever come across for this CDN. Even the WiFi in the most incompetent hotel, full of guests, should be able to beat this.

I tried it last night and it predicted 2 hours to download:eek: The best speed it showed was 400 KB/s. When it dropped to 157 KB/s and etd increased to 4 hours I cancelled it:mad: They're getting as bad as Sky in the evenings now..
    It's showing between 5.2-5.6 MB/s now. I think they're doing magnet on it in the evenings but aren't telling us, very sneaky indeed.

3221158432.png

This is Manchester this morning. Barely getting 2 Meg last night.
    I'm very reluctant to contact support because all they'll do is blame the line and keep dropping my profile. That's what sky kept doing. I'll keep large downloads for daytime.

jca wrote: »
    Complete yada yada.

Yep.

In other words it'll be a typical irish project. 20 years before we see this I'd predict.

Yep.

In other words it'll be a typical irish project. 20 years before we see this I'd predict.

Don't forget the consultants have to be paid first.... So it'll be at least 10 million over budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

mailsanchu wrote: »
    Date on this news is 20th Sep 2012..

Yep saw that. I popped ESB FTTH into the google and that's what it came back with. Not good news.

On the other I have heard from a reliable source that both BT and Vodafone are in competition to become ESB's broadband partner.

ED E wrote: »
    You results are very clear and repeatable Mr Cumulonimbus. Get onto tech support and get them to log the congestion for investigation if you havent already.

Just been on to them again. The agent said that a number of other callers had rang in reporting similar slowdowns. He said they would look at this further.
    Originally posted by Impetus: This is the most appalling download speed I have ever come across for this CDN. Even the WiFi in the most incompetent hotel, full of guests, should be able to beat this.

Downloading the same file again. Current download speed is only 300KB/sec. Seriously poor.

EDIT: file just finished downloading. Took over an hour............

And a speedtest using Manchester. Yuck....

3222968921.png

Thanks Mr Cumulonimbus ...I thought I was going nuts! Did it just start happening for you around the 2nd? I'm guessing they ran back from their Christmas hols and started messing about. I can't remember exactly because Christmas is a bit of a mess but I remember one night I was tearing my hair out.

Scumbags...ironically I got a bill today from them for a service that's now practically unusable in the evenings. The missus can't catch up on her soaps with tv3 player, rte player etc. I spent today being messed about on the god awful Eircom forums by their idiot "copy and paste" reps. Will be ringing tomorrow to tear a strip off someone...tech support is probably closed on the weekend knowing Eircom though.

Thanks Mr Cumulonimbus ...I thought I was going nuts! Did it just start happening for you around the 2nd? I'm guessing they ran back from their Christmas hols and started messing about. I can't remember exactly because Christmas is a bit of a mess but I remember one night I was tearing my hair out.

Scumbags...ironically I got a bill today from them for a service that's now practically unusable in the evenings. The missus can't catch up on her soaps with tv3 player, rte player etc. I spent today being messed about on the god awful Eircom forums by their idiot "copy and paste" reps. Will be ringing tomorrow to tear a strip off someone...tech support is probably closed on the weekend knowing Eircom though.

Had efibre installed on 17th December. Was fine initially, 47 down & 15 up all the time it seemed. Was away for Xmas, noticed it first last Saturday. Tech support is open on Saturdays too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

My connection has gone to hell in the evenings for the past week or more too, I thought this was over when I got efibre but I guess not.

They've got to be hiding something, this is going on a long time for regular eircom bb customers and now for efibre.

My connection has gone to hell in the evenings for the past week or more too, I thought this was over when I got efibre but I guess not.

They've got to be hiding something, this is going on a long time for regular eircom bb customers and now for efibre.

I thought all that messing was behind me when I left sky. Be careful they don't start lowering your profile.

It's flying again for me now since ten past midnight!

ISP's are dirt bags.........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Back home the folks have gone from 23 dB downstream attenuation to 50 dB since the local cabinet was installed a few days ago... Awaiting a callout from eircom. Hopefully just our extension line from the VDSL cab was wired badly, otherwise a lot of people could be experiencing something similar to our downgrade from 16 Mb/s to 2...

• Advertisement

I'm just after been talking to an Indian guy on Eircom's tech support. Blamed it on the weather....supposedly it'll be eight working days before the lads in the Engineer dept get it sorted. I'm sceptical. At least he did do some line checks and said he saw the problem so I'm relieved at that anyway.

I'm just after been talking to an Indian guy on Eircom's tech support. Blamed it on the weather....supposedly it'll be eight working days before the lads in the Engineer dept get it sorted. I'm sceptical. At least he did do some line checks and said he saw the problem so I'm relieved at that anyway.

Is it satelite BB?!!

How could he see a line problem when it doesn't exist? He's probably slashed 20 meg from your speed already. ... If you can get good speeds on the line and you don't get connectivity losses eg flashing dsl light etc it isn't a line fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How could he see a line problem when it doesn't exist? He's probably slashed 20 meg from your speed already. ... If you can get good speeds on the line and you don't get connectivity losses eg flashing dsl light etc it isn't a line fault.

Not true. Usually a fault will cause intermittentcy but it can cause SNRs to plummet down to 5-6dB crushing throughput but managing to stay up. Dampness in a cab could short lines and that would cause chaos at peak when they're all in use.

This all said, its the exception not the norm, it still looks like congestion as you arent the only one.

ED E wrote: »
    Not true. Usually a fault will cause intermittentcy but it can cause SNRs to plummet down to 5-6dB crushing throughput but managing to stay up. Dampness in a cab could short lines and that would cause chaos at peak when they're all in use.

This all said, its the exception not the norm, it still looks like congestion as you arent the only one.

Fairly rare I'd imagine but given the extreme weather lately..... Nah I think they're throttling at peak times. When my speeds are being reduced the snr remains unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Eircom efibre is rubbish. We are only getting 10mb in Dundalk and that is the maximum.

Had efibre installed on 17th December. Was fine initially, 47 down & 15 up all the time it seemed. Was away for Xmas, noticed it first last Saturday. Tech support is open on Saturdays too I think.

Did you contact support? What are you line stats during the slow times? Mine remain unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

edgecutter wrote: »
    Eircom efibre is rubbish. We are only getting 10mb in Dundalk and that is the maximum.

I'm getting 47 consistently in Dundalk.

3224259000.png

I'm getting 47 consistently in Dundalk.

3224259000.png

That's what I get 22.5 hours a day:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Did you contact support? What are you line stats during the slow times? Mine remain unchanged.

Rang them twice. Line stats fine. Unchanged when slowdown occurs.

@dxhound2005: are you not getting slowdowns in the evening now? You reported them in an earlier post.

Advertisement