Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Rang them twice. Line stats fine. Unchanged when slowdown occurs.

@dxhound2005: are you not getting slowdowns in the evening now? You reported them in an earlier post.

Did they give you the usual blah blah?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Also getting awful speeds in the evenings. It's incredibly frustrating. I'm on the Douglas exchange. Had a wonderful a Internet connection for a few months and it's gone back to **** again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

jca wrote: »
    Did they give you the usual blah blah?
    Second time I rang, agent said that other people were reporting the same issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Also getting awful speeds in the evenings. It's incredibly frustrating. I'm on the Douglas exchange. Had a wonderful a Internet connection for a few months and it's gone back to **** again.

Pure contention issue all over the country. Simple as that. Good speeds at all hours of the day but then it hits 18.00 to 21.00 and they go to pot. Infrastructure obviously isn't able to cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Im have vf fibre since October and it has been consistent at 47mb on cork northside.

• Advertisement

Pure contention issue all over the country. Simple as that. Good speeds at all hours of the day but then it hits 18.00 to 21.00 and they go to pot. Infrastructure obviously isn't able to cope.

I don't think so. As I've already said I had eFibre since June with no problem until now. Before that I had NGB Advanced for a few years and didn't have any trouble with contention. Maybe you're right but I'm inclined to believe that it's summat to do with the stormy weather.

Oh_man_Don't_hit_me_with_them_negative_waves_NEGATIVE_WAVES_Don't_hit_me_with_them_Kellys'_Heroes_demotivational_poster_Donald_Sutherland.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I currently do not have fibre, just plain bog standard adsl2 connecting at 9meg and I have found over the past 4 weeks that my real speed with Eircom has plummeted and generally get only 2-3meg on speedtest.net and other sites. Downloads have gone from 960kb/sec to less than 300kb/sec, its like this on all devices such as wired pc, wireless macbook as well as mobiles and tablets. Neighbours on vodaphone reporting same issue and I am with Eircom. There has to be something up with the Dunshaughlin exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

100% true..

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Bah! Still waiting in Castlebar 7 months after the area going live, hopefully they find a way to implement a service for those of us connected to the exchange.

What are you line stats during the slow times? Mine remain unchanged.

Speeds down at the moment. Current stats. Seem ok to me, plus no change from when speeds are higher.

288395.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    Bah! Still waiting in Castlebar 7 months after the area going live, hopefully they find a way to implement a service for those of us connected to the exchange.

Efibre is already available in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Efibre is already available in Castlebar.
    Not if you're connected directly to the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    Not if you're connected directly to the exchange.

Not sure I follow.

Not sure I follow.

Fibre is only available on lines that are connected to a cabinet, in this setup you have fibre to the cabinet(fttc) and copper to your premises. In many cases lines are connected directly to the exchange and because there's no intervening cabinet they can't get fibre at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Rang them twice. Line stats fine. Unchanged when slowdown occurs.

@dxhound2005: are you not getting slowdowns in the evening now? You reported them in an earlier post.

That was just the one evening when someone else was getting poor figures. I didn't do a test at that time of day before or since. Normal enough now getting 44 instead of the usual 47.

3225242710.png

That was just the one evening when someone else was getting poor figures. I didn't do a test at that time of day before or since. Normal enough now getting 44 instead of the usual 47.

3225242710.png

Try the Manchester server. That shows the real figures.

Not sure I follow.

Bit of an explanation here, about the same situation on BT lines in the UK.

http://www.choose.net/media/guide/faqs/exchange-only-line-fibre-broadband.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Anyone know what the hell has happened to Eircom recently? every evening my connection goes to absolutely nothing.

Tonight for instance I'm downloading over sftp from a server in Holland - was down to 28kB/s :eek: for this evening, now it's after midnight it's slowly crawling back up.

Strange thing is the congestion doesn't seem to be local - I can set up another download alongside that (say from heanet mirror) and get 500kB+ , and I'm sure the server in Holland isn't congested as a friend just downloaded from it (vodafone) this evening and was getting 1M+.

Try the Manchester server. That shows the real figures.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3225261575

Another Manchester one.

3225281228.png

• Advertisement

Another Manchester one.

3225281228.png

Try one tomorrow evening between 9.30 and 12. That would help build a picture of how many are being affected.

Another Manchester one.

3225281228.png

Just got those same figures in a test from Manchester now. However at 10.30pm I was only getting around 6 down from there. Try at around 10.30 later on this evening and post again. Interesting to see what you get. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

Fibre is only available on lines that are connected to a cabinet, in this setup you have fibre to the cabinet(fttc) and copper to your premises. In many cases lines are connected directly to the exchange and because there's no intervening cabinet they can't get fibre at all.

Is there any chance to install a new cabinet in between the houses and the exchange ?
    Or
    Can we have FTTH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Has anybody here seen the message that the fibre is live in their area and their address isn't enabled yet other houses are in your housing estate? Why did you do to get enabled, if you could? Or what was the reason for not being enabled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I have heard that the ESB will definitely be rolling out fttb with Vodafone butit's at least 2-3 years off yet.

I have heard that the ESB will definitely be rolling out fttb with Vodafone butit's at least 2-3 years off yet.

I'll believe it when I see it:pac::pac:

red_bairn wrote: »
    Has anybody here seen the message that the fibre is live in their area and their address isn't enabled yet other houses are in your housing estate? Why did you do to get enabled, if you could? Or what was the reason for not being enabled?

As you mention it, two work colleagues keep getting their install dates put back. There's a problem with your cabinet is the reason...... Guess what? I'm connected to the same cabinet and have efibfre since the 9th of December :confused: All with Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

How long does it take after a cab is commissioned (ie - has yellow sticker with code) before the eircom line checker website will show that lines on the cab are fibre enabled? If I ring eircom or Magnet (my ISP) will they be able to see that its enabled and upgrade me, or are they just relying on the same data that's available through the line checker website?

The cab at the bottom of Blarney Street in Cork City looks like it's commissioned now, cab code sticker says CHF1 032A.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

My Efibre speed via Manchester server!!
    3226687996.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

To this on Enniskillen server!?
    3226699607.png

Advertisement