Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

3229557521.png

3229565739.png

Efibre.

An hour ago it was 47/17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/737381876
    Terrible. Very disappointing I really thought my terrible sky experience was behind me. Can anything be done?

Absolutely horrendous. I'm (trying to) download a tv show and I'm getting a whopping 150KB/sec! I think I'm gonna cry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

O'Prez wrote: »
    Mine came back to normal just after 12.30am too and I'm with Sky and on normal broadband. There's a bigger picture here lads.
    Sky are just another reseller.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Sky are just another reseller.

Yeah that's my point. Regardless of ISP and whether we're on fibre or not we're all suffering the same speed issues as part of the Eircom infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Hi everyone,

Either

A) Eircom has randomly decided to start throttling me

B) Some weird peering stuff is going on.

YouTube is maxing out the connection (from Eircom edge server I presume) while everything else outside Eircom (Linode, AWS even) is crawling and unstable. I'll ring technical support in the morn, hopefully it's that. I've never had throttling from Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

It's 11:30 PM and pretty much online gaming is unusable for me, the same goes for something like Twitch.tv - can't even run on medium.

I'm tried to download a file from a server in Holland - got 30KB/s - switched on my O2 mobile broadband and could download the same file over 2MB/s, so it's not a problem with that server or its connectivity.

Seems to be backhaul congestion with some form of traffic shaping on top of that - nothing else can explain 30KBs.

Luckily I can switch to UPC - this has been going on for a couple of months now and all Eircom's support want to do is moan at me that I'm not using their poxy Zyxel modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Hi everyone,

Either

A) Eircom has randomly decided to start throttling me

B) Some weird peering stuff is going on.

YouTube is maxing out the connection (from Eircom edge server I presume) while everything else outside Eircom (Linode, AWS even) is crawling and unstable. I'll ring technical support in the morn, hopefully it's that. I've never had throttling from Eircom.

Yeah, this is weird. It can't be weather related because it's just begun to become really poor tonight. I've been getting high pings for a few weeks now but download/upload speeds appear throttled (even on Irish servers).

3229759373.png
    No point in ringing them in the morning because it will be perfect..... Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

jca wrote: »
    3229759373.png
    No point in ringing them in the morning because it will be perfect..... Very frustrating.

Just create a thread on their TalkTo forum and they'll have a nice number of complaints to wake up to tomorrow morning. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Now 1:40am and the connection to the ftp server is back to nearly 1000KB/s - which to be honest is crap for a product I'm paying 50 a month for, but is is my "normal" line speed and I've been living with it - I have no idea how it can collapse to 30KB/s for 5 hours *every* evening with almost exact timing, when I know for a fact that there is plenty of bandwidth on the server.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Just create a thread on their TalkTo forum and they'll have a nice number of complaints to wake up to tomorrow morning. :)

Probably don't even read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

for years I've found my Meteor dongle was a good bit faster than the eircom line in the house with only one NTU in the house now connected. The eircom line should be capable of 12 megs but the meteor one was always more consistant. I miss the quality service of UPC since moving back from Waterford- eircom is just abysmal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

pH wrote: »
    Now 1:40am and the connection to the ftp server is back to nearly 1000KB/s - which to be honest is crap for a product I'm paying 50 a month for, but is is my "normal" line speed and I've been living with it - I have no idea how it can collapse to 30KB/s for 5 hours *every* evening with almost exact timing, when I know for a fact that there is plenty of bandwidth on the server.

As I have said before it's congestion. Eircoms old adsl BB and resellers that use their infrastructure is notorious for grinding to a halt during peak evening hours and on Sundays. The Fibre product obviously hasn't improved this at all. . Or possibly Eircom are starting to throttle. Nothing can be done about this to be honset.

Typical Irish product. Up to......whatever your line is capable of carrying........

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

As I have said before it's congestion. Eircoms old adsl BB and resellers that use their infrastructure is notorious for grinding to a halt during peak evening hours and on Sundays. The Fibre product obviously hasn't improved this at all. . Or possibly Eircom are starting to throttle. Nothing can be done about this to be honset.

Typical Irish product. Up to......whatever your line is capable of carrying........
    Very True

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

It's interesting to see that I am not alone with eFibre speed dropping off in the evenings. A neighbour of mine was complaining that his eFibre speeds were very slow one evening (< 10Mbps). I got mine in before Christmas and had tested it a good few times (novelty of having fast broadband!) and was consistently getting ~47Mbps DOWN and ~12Mbps UP.

I have been testing it over the last week or so and it drops off dramatically between 6pm and 11pm, with download speeds as low as 4Mbps and upload speeds of 0.32Mbps (!).

There are noticeable pauses in Netflix and Youtube - and any downloading I do is slower than my previous broadband package.

I'm about 100m from the cabinet, and my speed tests were done on wired connections.

I don't have eVision - although was planning on getting it.

If you have eVision do eircom ring-fence 20-30 megs for the TV service? If my eFibre is dropping to 4 megs then surely the TV service would grind to a halt?

scargill wrote: »
    It's interesting to see that I am not alone with eFibre speed dropping off in the evenings. A neighbour of mine was complaining that his eFibre speeds were very slow one evening (< 10Mbps). I got mine in before Christmas and had tested it a good few times (novelty of having fast broadband!) and was consistently getting ~47Mbps DOWN and ~12Mbps UP.

I have been testing it over the last week or so and it drops off dramatically between 6pm and 11pm, with download speeds as low as 4Mbps and upload speeds of 0.32Mbps (!).

There are noticeable pauses in Netflix and Youtube - and any downloading I do is slower than my previous broadband package.

I'm about 100m from the cabinet, and my speed tests were done on wired connections.

I don't have eVision - although was planning on getting it.

If you have eVision do eircom ring-fence 20-30 megs for the TV service? If my eFibre is dropping to 4 megs then surely the TV service would grind to a halt?

Congestion at the cabinet. Eircom decided to use all of the old s***e copper lines from the fibre cabinet into the home instead of swapping them out with decent grade coax (yes I know that's copper also but it's a way higher spec).

This is what UPC do. When they go into an area they do the lot. My sppeds drop. But I lose maybe 20 - 30 meg off 200 meg.

I'd happily take s***e customer for a decent product anyday.

That's what Eircom get for doing things on the cheap. And I wouldn't mind, they'd have had all the ducting in place from the cab to the homes. JOKE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

you do realise the monetary and infrastructural issues with upgrading the whole of eircoms d-side network with co-ax, especially in rural areas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nickhilliard

ED E wrote: »
    That suggests inbound has problems too. Vodafone/Eircom/Sky presumably join the net through the same link at INEX but at a guess Digiweb have separate backhaul/peering.

ED E, not quite sure what you mean by this, but Vodafone, Digiweb and Eircom all have separate links into INEX (Sky isn't connected). INEX only provides the facility for participants to connect to each other: it doesn't provide onward connectivity to the rest of the Internet. You need a transit provider for that, and all these organisations make their own separate transit arrangements.

Nick

arctan wrote: »
    you do realise the monetary and infrastructural issues with upgrading the whole of eircoms d-side network with co-ax, especially in rural areas ?

You would think that it's an investment that they'll have to make at some stage though. As I said, the ducting is there for a large part, digging costs huge mone in itself.

I also think that people living rurally may forget about high speed BB for a long time. That's just the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Congestion at the cabinet. Eircom decided to use all of the old s***e copper lines from the fibre cabinet into the home instead of swapping them out with decent grade coax (yes I know that's copper also but it's a way higher spec).

This is what UPC do. When they go into an area they do the lot. My sppeds drop. But I lose maybe 20 - 30 meg off 200 meg.

I'd happily take s***e customer for a decent product anyday.

That's what Eircom get for doing things on the cheap. And I wouldn't mind, they'd have had all the ducting in place from the cab to the homes. JOKE.
    Congestion has to do with multiple lines using a shared link, nothing to do with poor quality of individual links. If the sum of demand from all the individual links is greater than the maximum data rate the shared link is currently capable of, there will be congestion. I doubt this pinch point is at the VDSL cab itself, the fibre cable and electronics should have plenty capacity. They (I think) installed enough redundancy for if they upgrade to ftth. It'll be on the backhaul from the exchange and the network backbone/connection to tier 1 network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

You would think that it's an investment that they'll have to make at some stage though. As I said, the ducting is there for a large part, digging costs huge mone in itself.

I also think that people living rurally may forget about high speed BB for a long time. That's just the way it is.

not if ftth is the ultimate goal

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Very interesting post here.

O'Prez wrote: »
    Very interesting post here.

Not really. I think we've all worked it out at this stage.... Put all the Muppets on eFibre, charge them top Dollar, they'll think they're getting a modern BB and then F**K them over. Don't worry Boys we have them on an 18 Month contract..... Happy days for Eirconn..:mad:
    3232073281.png
    That's my "50" Download from a nearby server.
    3232081306.png
    This is Manchester. I really thought this s**t was finished when I opted to pay top dollar to Eircom our main telecoms provider... More fool me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

jca wrote: »
    Not really. I think we've all worked it out at this stage.... Put all the Muppets on eFibre, charge them top Dollar, they'll think they're getting a modern BB and then F**K them over. Don't worry Boys we have them on an 18 Month contract..... Happy days for Eirconn..:mad:

It's affecting all customers, not just fibre!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ED E, not quite sure what you mean by this, but Vodafone, Digiweb and Eircom all have separate links into INEX (Sky isn't connected). INEX only provides the facility for participants to connect to each other: it doesn't provide onward connectivity to the rest of the Internet. You need a transit provider for that, and all these organisations make their own separate transit arrangements.

Nick

Im assuming UPC are INEX members, so my theory was tests to a vodafone server would be UPC-INEX-Voda. But if they all have their own links then that cant be the congestion point and it may just be an overloaded test server.

It's affecting all customers, not just fibre!

Well there you go.... That's the contempt Telecoms companies in Ireland treat us with... Ah shur F**K the Paddies they'll put up with any aul S**te.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Jca,
    That's rubbish speed!

markad1 wrote: »
    Jca,
    That's rubbish speed!

That's eFibre for Ya:mad: The 3g on my phone is better, I've had to use it as a hotspot to post this reply... eFibre is complete rubbish. Good job I stayed with sky for my TV service or I'd be seeking alternative accommodation. (Nearly tempted to take eVision..)

• Advertisement

11.44. Time for bed just as speed is improving to usable status: 3232215335.png

Advertisement