Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

After a day of more 2 to 3mb download speeds here it is heading back to normal just before midnight:

3232224489.png

...and here it is just after midnight (back to normal):

3232239445.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭briany

Fair amount of complaining going on here about congestion, I see. Not quite seeing the same issue out where I am, I have to say. I can usually pull a consistent rate of about 66-67 Mb/s on Speed Test, particularly off the Digiweb server, although the Vodafone one goes south at about 7PM. Overall Internet performance on certain things feels a bit slow during peak hours, though, like on streaming video. Is it possible Eircom are putting a bit of a choke on this? It's always a concern that, with Eircom bringing out their own TV service, they'll be doing what Time Warner and other providers in the states have been doing by (allegedly) throttling the bandwidth on things like Netflix and Youtube or anything that could significantly threaten their market share in the video realm.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

here are a couple of speed tests ive just done.
    Im paying for 70mb eFibre.

3232582176.png

3232572742.png

3232578980.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Jaysus and there was I looking forward to efibre arriving here in April :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Dcully wrote: »

I thought I'd never get it too..... It's bad when your mobile operators 3g service is better than eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭halkar

Not bad comparing to many souls hardly get 1-2Mbs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Is this speed issue specific to eircom's backbone infrastructure only? I'm on Vodafone efibre since November and I don't appear to have slowdowns at any point in the day. I do regular speedtests on a wired PC, but always to the Vodafone server in Dublin so as to get consistent results as I'm mainly keeping an eye on any effects on my DSL performance as more people move to fibre in my area (Greystones). I just performed a speedtest on the server in Manchester and I'm getting excellent performance with just a slightly higher ping time than to Dublin:

3233388708.png

3233407057.png

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

fat-tony wrote: »
    Is this speed issue specific to eircom's backbone infrastructure only? I'm on Vodafone efibre since November and I don't appear to have slowdowns at any point in the day. I do regular speedtests on a wired PC, but always to the Vodafone server in Dublin so as to get consistent results as I'm mainly keeping an eye on any effects on my DSL performance as more people move to fibre in my area (Greystones). I just performed a speedtest on the server in Manchester and I'm getting excellent performance with just a slightly higher ping time than to Dublin:

3233388708.png

Do a speedtest after 6pm and let us know your result.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jca wrote: »
    I thought I'd never get it too..... It's bad when your mobile operators 3g service is better than eircom.

That's appalling,I'm on VF fibre and speeds are rock solid no matter the time of day.Eircom were doing something at the cabs opposite Mace last week,I wonder if that's anything to do with your problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

How are people's uploads? I don't mean speeds (speedtest results always report a steady speed with no decrease) but actually uploading file? I've been trying to upload a file and it just hangs. I've tried uploaded.net, mediafire, zippyshare and mega. Dropbox isn't much better and eats up bandwidth to the point where browsing while uploading is unusable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zerks wrote: »
    That's appalling,I'm on VF fibre and speeds are rock solid no matter the time of day.Eircom were doing something at the cabs opposite Mace last week,I wonder if that's anything to do with your problems.

As you mention it two work colleagues keep getting their install dates cancelled by eircom. They're on that cabinet too. Eircom tell them that there are problems with the cabinet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dcully wrote: »

I think there is hope tho, this cant go on forever as its a serious issue effecting nearly everybody regardless of weather its fibre or adsl, its not limited to the odd exchange, it seems countrywide related and its effecting most people on Eircom, Sky, Vodaphone etc. Seems only the lucky ones on UPC are not effected. Eircom will have to do something to sort this out.

I want to go back to my NGB Advanced.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GreyAlien

Like an above poster, I'm with VF for vdsl2 and have no issues with speed or ping, even during peak hours in the evening. Might be an Eircom issue with their backbone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I hope everyone who is experiencing any issues with speeds in the evenings are logging calls to their ISP. Only a deluge of tickets will force them to bash Eircom wholesale over the head enough to sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mine via wifi,VF said the max I can currently get is 50Mb.I wonder with all the excitement of being ahead of schedule did Eircom bite off more than they could chew and now customers are suffering as a result.

3233802137.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

At least they have now admitted that there is a problem. I know that there are a lot of divers in the English premier league but I didn't realize that any of them were working for eircom :)
    eircomAlan
    Topics: 4
    Kudos: 249
    Solutions: 84
    Re: What has happened the speed??
    Options

15 minutes ago

Hi All

I have been informed that there has been confirmation of a break in a major cable under the Irish Sea.

This has created a lot of issues on the network and explains a lot of the issues you have raised in the past couple of days. I would like to assure you that divers and engineers are being dispatched tomorrow morning to begin repairs.

At present we do not have a specific timeframe of how long repairs are expected to take however there are indications that this could indeed take up to a couple of days. I will do my best to keep you updated on any further information I may get.

Thanks

Al

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/High-Ping-in-the-evenings/td-p/55110/page/11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

A relief to know that they're not introducing throttling.

It'd be nice to be told a bit earlier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

ElNino wrote: »
    At least they have now admitted that there is a problem.

Yeah. They said the same on the TalkTo forum. Is it the truth or something they are saying while they really figure out what is going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

red_bairn wrote: »
    Yeah. They said the same on the TalkTo forum. Is it the truth or something they are saying while they really figure out what is going on?

How would anyone outside of Eircom be able to answer that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Could this be related to the UPC problem (UPC rep over in that thread says an undersea fibre optic cable broke recently, causing the UPC slowdown) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

murphaph wrote: »
    Could this be related to the UPC problem (UPC rep over in that thread says an undersea fibre optic cable broke recently, causing the UPC slowdown) ?

Quite possibly as those fibre undersea pipes have massive capacity which would be leased by a number of telcos.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

You wouldn't think it would take them 2 months to realize that a major cable was broken. You think there'd be some sort of alarming system if a certain % of packets were lost... ah well at least they've acknowledged that there's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

it is not a fault on eircom's system... the slow speeds in evening and weekends is because one of the fibre cable belonging to cable and wireless that runs across the sea bed from dublin to the uk is broken. vodafone and bt ireland mainy use this cable. eircom uses another cable owned by cable and wireless.

vodafone and btireland have started routing their traffic through the line eircom uses which is what is causing the high lag and slow speeds due to congestion.

cable & wireless are trying to repair the broken fibre cable but as it is on the sea bed it will take a bit of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

How would anyone outside of Eircom be able to answer that question?

I wasn't directly asking him. It was suppose to be a rhetorical question.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

i don't believe that because I have eircom at home and vodafone at my business both on the same exchange and very close to the exchange.
    I've been having congestion with eircom for several months in the evening (although incredibly bad now) whereas at the business problems have only recently started in the evening.

There may be probs with the undersea cables allright, making things worse but there are also probs with eircom's internal network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

ElNino wrote: »
    Quite possibly as those fibre undersea pipes have massive capacity which would be leased by a number of telcos.

UPC slowed down? I'll do a speed check but I haven't noticed...........the fact that it came from a UPC rep..........

• Advertisement

Advertisement