Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

My speeds are back to normal this evening! Wonderful! (As I steam HD movie in the background.)

3234343988.png

Ah but err... your uploads ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Mine is much better too. This is a wireless result. 3234364621.png

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Mine's still sh1t.

3234372014.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Do a speedtest after 6pm and let us know your result.
    Thanks.
    Ok here it is at 20:30:

3234381542.png

Seems ok to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Why Undersea Internet Cables Are More Vulnerable Than You Think

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/04/how-vulnerable-are-undersea-internet-cables/

I must admit I never gave the subject any thought but apparently damage to cables is common enough.

Historically, however, undersea cables are more susceptible to accidental breakage by ship anchors, fish trawlers and natural disasters. Tim Stronge, a researcher at Telegeography, says such mishaps snap cables about 100 times a year. Some countries try to prevent breakages by providing detailed nautical maps and levying heavy fines for dropping anchor or casting nets in close proximity to cables.

So far this evening my speeds are good, even into Manchester. They were really very slow last evening.

3234391614.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

mine is getting slower....

3234413535.png

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

if it was just an undersea cable cut why am maxing 1.5 Mbps to Irish servers? I call BS on eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

My speeds are back to normal this evening! Wonderful! (As I steam HD movie in the background.)

3234343988.png

Ah but err... your uploads ****e!

Always are....max I'd ever get is 10meg up.

Comes into play when I got to upload a huge file....which is never.

@vishal - Indeed - and if it's a shared undersea cable why is VF performance so much better than Eircom to the same server in Manchester? Answer - the particular cable is not relevant and the answer lies elsewhere in the infrastructure. If the cable is severed completely no-one is using it and they have routed their traffic on other cables. Lots of speculation and few hard facts.
    I've noticed that this thread has gone particularly astray in recent days as it was originally about the rollout of eFibre to particular areas - like where cabinets had been enabled and where techs were actively installing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Have Eircom confirmed that there is a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

fat-tony wrote: »
    @vishal - Indeed - and if it's a shared undersea cable why is VF performance so much better than Eircom to the same server in Manchester? Answer - the particular cable is not relevant and the answer lies elsewhere in the infrastructure. If the cable is severed completely no-one is using it and they have routed their traffic on other cables. Lots of speculation and few hard facts.
    I've noticed that this thread has gone particularly astray in recent days as it was originally about the rollout of eFibre to particular areas - like where cabinets had been enabled and where techs were actively installing.

There are nearly 7000 posts. I don't think there is any core subject from which to stray. I have seen discussions about cabinets, comparisons between VF and Eircom, experience of the application process, condition of existing internal wiring and many more topics. I think there is room for this recent topic even if it is only relevant for those who already have Fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

There are nearly 7000 posts. I don't think there is any core subject from which to stray. I have seen discussions about cabinets, comparisons between VF and Eircom, experience of the application process, condition of existing internal wiring and many more topics. I think there is room for this recent topic even if it is only relevant for those who already have Fibre.

Our household doesn't have eFibre and we have had rising pings at this time of night over the last couple of weeks.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Our household doesn't have eFibre and we have had rising pings at this time of night over the last couple of weeks.
    @dxhound2005 and @red_bairn (who is in my neck of the woods) - it's just I don't think that this has anything to do with the eFibre rollout specifically. It seems to be more a backbone infrastructure issue. Unless there has been a rash of mega-downloading from new eFibre customers (how many are there?) which is consuming all the capacity in eircom's backbone I would have thought that the issues are more to do with network issues and not related to fibre directly. In the longer term as more and more customers come on stream and particularly if streaming of TV becomes popular (eircom's eVision), then you would expect capacity issues, but surely at this early stage in the rollout the gurus would have ensured adequate capacity in the network, wouldn't they? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Still poor for me.

3234514487.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Guys checkout posts by the UPC reps, issues in the Irish sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Could we get some speed tests from Vodafone customers now? My efibre is currently clocking in at 10/17

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

why cant fiber customers register on the eircom site?

naughto wrote: »
    why cant fiber customers register on the eircom site?
    I don't know that, most annoying. They never collected their first bill's money from the bank yet either:confused: It was due for collection on the 5th of this month strange..

Could we get some speed tests from Vodafone customers now? My efibre is currently clocking in at 10/17
    Read previous posts (around 20.30) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭anotherposter

Have Eircom confirmed that there is a problem?

eircom have confirmed there is an issue because of the under sea cable which vf and bt normally use but are now routing their traffic to the line eircom uses.

this is causing congestion on eircom's network link to the uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

jca wrote: »
    I don't know that, most annoying. They never collected their first bill's money from the bank yet either:confused: It was due for collection on the 5th of this month strange..
    i havent got any bill since oct,but ill come of that iam sure.its pretty sh1te that fiber customers cant register on the site,you would think they would sort it out

eircom have confirmed there is an issue because of the under sea cable which vf and bt normally use but are now routing their traffic to the line eircom uses.

this is causing congestion on eircom's network link to the uk
    What does that mean? How do you know what route packets are taking? There are several cable entry and exit points on the Irish Sea and unless you know the network topography for sure and how the network planners have configured the routers then you can't say for certain what the issue is by doing speedtests. All you can say from the posts in this thread is that speedtest results from (some) VF customers to the Manchester server are superior to those from eircom customers. Without knowing for sure how the data is routed you can't say where the problem lies. Are VF packets getting priority over eircom packets on the damaged cable? Are they taking a different route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It sounds like Vodafone and BT have rented capacity from eircom as a stop gap measure to keep customers online during a fault on their onward connections to the UK.

However, eircom shouldn't be selling 3rd parties capacity on their international links if they didn't have sufficient capacity to cope with their own traffic.

Each operator has its own backhaul and overseas connectivity. Eircom would typically have its own and BT would too. Everyone else rents capacity on various combinations of fibre routes from a number of suppliers.

It seems a little strange that eircom would prioritise their competitors traffic over their international fibre links to the determent of their own customers. I'm sure they'll adjust the routing :D

There's quite a bit of capacity between Ireland and Britain though. I'd say you'll find more routes will be brought online if necessary by renting capacity on other networks etc and freeing up eircom's capacity again.

Surprising they're having any issues at all to be honest. I didn't think UK-IRL capacity was tight at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

A couple more speed tests I've just done. Massive improvement! these are over a wireless connection aswell.

3234833759.png

3234835360.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

So KN networks are pulling fibre into ducts around the local town and yesterday someone spray painted a big number 6 on the cabinet nearest me (it's 3 km out from the actual town/exchange), should I be getting excited?

And yes, I will ask them when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

nilhg wrote: »
    So KN networks are pulling fibre into ducts around the local town and yesterday someone spray painted a big number 6 on the cabinet nearest me (it's 3 km out from the actual town/exchange), should I be getting excited?

And yes, I will ask them when I get a chance.

Probably wouldn't get excited just yet. Carlow town had this done more or less by end of September. orders were only possible from the 11th of December onwards..

ArklowHoop wrote: »
    A couple more speed tests I've just done. Massive improvement! these are over a wireless connection aswell.

3234833759.png

3234835360.png

All this says that whatever slowdown in eircom's was present earlier is now gone. Doesn't identify where the problem was (is).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

All this says that whatever slowdown in eircom's was present earlier is now gone. Doesn't identify where the problem was (is).

That was at 1am. Run the speed test again at 7pm tonight and if it is like my efibre it will be attrocious again.

Yes, it may well be slow again, but the point I'm trying to make is that speedtest does not identify where in the network the issue is. All it does is give you a snapshot of the particular ISP performance to a particular server at a point in time. Send the data to eircom and complain - they are the only ones who can identify the source of the problem.

• Advertisement

Yes, it may well be slow again, but the point I'm trying to make is that speedtest does not identify where in the network the issue is. All it does is give you a snapshot of the particular ISP performance to a particular server at a point in time. Send the data to eircom and complain - they are the only ones who can identify the source of the problem.

They've identified the source of the problem. I really don't care what causes the slowdown I just want it working all the tine. Mine was perfect last night.

Advertisement