Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Think i'm connected directly to the exchange, its closer to me than any cabinet.......

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Had given up on putting my phone number into the Eircom website, because it was the usual message:

efibire is not available in your area yet.....

But today, I just tried it, and it says:

Good news! eFibre will be available in your area: #N/A

Its not good news, but its not bad news either. Just checked my parents phone number, and it still says the original 'not yet' message.

Something happening?

According to the efibre map, I'm not on any plans for an upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Contractor cut into fibre cables today at Newlands X apparently,no phone/bb for 70 miles.
    A cable damaged by a 3rd party engaged in road works in the area has resulted loss of service to some but not all customers in the area.
    However in order to repair this issue cables will have to be replaced and this will temporarily affect all customers there.

It is expected this work will be completed by 16.00 today.

As it stands we can advise that:
    • 55 x 2G and 31 x 3G mobile sites affected covering Carlow, Naas, Blessington and Kilkenny areas
    • 9823 Fixed Broadband customers
    • 301 Fibre customers affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

crawler wrote: »
    Remember - some homes are fed directly form the exchanges and not connected to cabinets at all. These simply dont get VDSL at the moment. This means you can have odd situation where a home can be close to "a" cabinet but fed from the exchange - House A can get VDSL (cabinet fed) and house "B" just up the road, cant.

This is a case for me at work. We are right beside the exchange at work but cannot get fiber. I assume Eircom will eventually sort this. The time it's taking is frustrating.

Surely some rack mountable equipment would be easy to put in the exchanges! Should be cheaper than a cabinet also as no civils have to be done and no physical cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Praetorian wrote: »
    Surely some rack mountable equipment would be easy to put in the exchanges! Should be cheaper than a cabinet also as no civils have to be done and no physical cab.

I believe this is being trashed out between eircom wholesale, comreg and retail operators at the moment.
    From another thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88879664&postcount=379
    It is important to highlight that there is quite a bit of regulation
    that surrounds the industry and our rollout of services such as fibre.
    The key point is that all the industry participants, ComReg the
    regulator and ourselves have to agree all the processes that surround
    the rollout of fibre. So the first processes that were agreed were the
    processes of moving from a passive cabinet to a second active cabinet
    environment.

In the case of the direct fed lines (your case) eircom has been working
    actively with industry to agree the best way to serve you so that you
    too will see increased broadband speeds. There has been quite a bit of
    progress, but it has yet to be finalised.

• Advertisement

jd, thanks!

It is great to see someone got some solid info on this issue. So the bottom line is that it could be mid 2015 hopefully worst case scenario! It's very stupid that Eircom and those morons in Comreg had not nailed this down ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

jd, thanks!

It is great to see someone got some solid info on this issue. So the bottom line is that it could be mid 2015 hopefully worst case scenario! It's very stupid that Eircom and those morons in Comreg had not nailed this down ages ago.

Our household can't even get efibre even though the nearest cabinet is 500m away. A neighbour contacted some chap in Eircom Wholesale, which I posted in the Greystones thread, and he basically said that a load of the older houses might be fed straight from the exchange, i.e. 2.3km away...

I don't believe this is the reason because there are older houses from the 70s in the estate that have it. I can't see TE having half of the estate fed via the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

I'm being feed from a cabinet roughly 2km away (I know this as an eircom worker told us when he was fixing our line). I couldn't order eFibre up until a few days ago however it says the max speed I can get is 7Mb (Yes, I'm talking about eFibre speeds).

What's the possibility of being moved to a closer cabinet in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Manc Red wrote: »
    I'm being feed from a cabinet roughly 2km away (I know this as an eircom worker told us when he was fixing our line). I couldn't order eFibre up until a few days ago however it says the max speed I can get is 7Mb (Yes, I'm talking about eFibre speeds).

What's the possibility of being moved to a closer cabinet in the near future?

7 down 1 up is about right for VDSL2 @ 2Kms. Theoretically could go a bit quicker but 7 would give you a stable connection. What's your current ADSL speed?
    Zero chance of getting switched to a different cab I'd say. Is there one closer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Manc Red wrote: »

I'd be happy with even that, myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

kaizersoze wrote: »
    7 down 1 up is about right for VDSL2 @ 2Kms. Theoretically could go a bit quicker but 7 would give you a stable connection. What's your current ADSL speed?
    Zero chance of getting switched to a different cab I'd say. Is there one closer?

I currently get around 9Mb with regular broadband. It's a good job I checked what my line can take as I was being offered "up to 70Mb" and they wouldn't mention the speed my line is actually capable of.

There are about 3-4 cabinets that are closer but there is one which is no more than 300 meters away.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 apm0003

I am in Ringsend in Dublin and I currently have ADSL from Magnet. I get a sync speed of 20Mb down. Eircom has recently enabled local cabinets for efibre and I asked Magnet to check what my line was capable of if I moved to their efibre offering (Fatpipe 70). Magnet have told me that I would only get 15Mbs download speed (and 3Mb up) according to data supplied by eircom. They said this is a very unusual situation but could not explain to me how it might occur.

It makes no sense to me...unless somehow I have a direct connection to the exchange and to enable me for efibre would require me to be connected to a cabinet that's further away. I would have thought if I was directly connected to the exchange that I would be just told I can't get efibre.

Has anyone experienced this before or could Eircom be giving Magnet dodgy line information ? Magnet say there is nothing they can do to check as they can only go on what Eircom tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

15Mb suggests you're approx 1500m from the cab. 1500m to the exchange would give about 20Mb on ADSL2. So whats likely the case is your cab is beside the exchange, or your exchange is in a cab itself.

VDSL is good for short distance, crap for long distance. Stick with DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Black People

Would his upload speed improve on VDSL?

He might also see an improvement with vectoring.

ED E wrote: »
    15Mb suggests you're approx 1500m from the cab. 1500m to the exchange would give about 20Mb on ADSL2. So whats likely the case is your cab is beside the exchange, or your exchange is in a cab itself.

VDSL is good for short distance, crap for long distance. Stick with DSL.

Thanks for the reply. There are local cabinets with 100M of my house but I must not be connected to those. The exchange is about 600M walk from my house but of course the cable route could go all over the place to get there.

I did some more research and sure enough if I put in my downstream attenuation (21db) from my existing DSL stats into this speed calculator http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php then it shows no difference in download speed for ADSL2+ vs VDSL. Obviously I would get better upload speed then I do on ADSL but not sure if it's worth the move.

UPC have not upgraded their network around us so I am limited to 25MB from then so I guess I am stuck at 20Mbs for the moment.

Wait until vectoring goes live and then you'd hopefully get 20Mb down along with the increased upload of VDSL.

apm0003

I would check what Eircom say you can get also. I had a couple of vdsl lines that had low sync rates, like 12 m/bit on one and around 14m/bit on the other, but they were set too conservatively and I got them doubled in each case.

You should order vdsl, (BUT NOT WITH MAGNET) order it from ANY other operator. You may get put on a 15m/bit profile, then post your stats here and we will tell you what you can really get.

As ED E stated another upgrade call vectoring is coming and you will definitely be able to get better speeds when that goes live.

Worst case scenario (which I'm 95% wouldn't happen) but if you ended up with a 15m/bit x 3m/bit vdsl connection it would be better than a 20m/bit dsl connection. Less overheads, and a much nicer upload speed.

apm0003

You should order vdsl, (BUT NOT WITH MAGNET) order it from ANY other operator.

Hi Preatorian, I don't want to go off topic here but why not use Magnet for Vdsl? My experience with their ADSL service has been very good indeed. Very stable and I have never seen any drop in download speed even at peak evening hours.

apm0003,

Magnet are a total joke. They throttle their customers. They have dreadful clueless technical support. They literally don't have enough bandwidth on tap to cover VDSL for their clients.

Go with anyone but them, trust me. Eircom / Vodafone / Imagine. Any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Anyone able to advise how long between eircom switching on efibre and Vodafone being able to offer it? Would it be same day? And do you need to chase Vodafone for it or will they offer it to you?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Anyone able to advise how long between eircom switching on efibre and Vodafone being able to offer it? Would it be same day? And do you need to chase Vodafone for it or will they offer it to you?

Thanks

Same day for all line operators.

You need to call them and order it or wait for their sales to cold call you.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

How long after the yellow sticker has been placed on a new VDSL cabinet before orders can be placed.

Website just says in progress. ? (since 21st January 2014).

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Chris369

Where is the yellow sticker on the side of the cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Chris369 wrote: »
    Where is the yellow sticker on the side of the cabinet?
    If you can't see it it's not there! Right in the middle on the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Nobody really knows. All it means is that eircom assigned it an asset tag number.

It might indicate that they've added it to their system, it might not.

There are plenty of live cabinets with no tags too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

just got vodafone fibre installed today. distance from cabinet 200m. only line using the cabinet so far. max speed 23.54mbs download and upload 11.56. ping 45. Should I be getting a lot more or is that the best I can hope for. using wireless connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

just got vodafone fibre installed today. distance from cabinet 200m. only line using the cabinet so far. max speed 23.54mbs download and upload 11.56. ping 45. Should I be getting a lot more or is that the best I can hope for. using wireless connection.

Wired connections must be used for maximum speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

511 wrote: »
    Wired connections must be used for maximum speed.

wired speed after 3 - 4 tests highest was 36.05. ping 45 upload 12.28. Still not great? should I ring them as the distance from the cabinent is not that great to drop it by half of what they told me I would get?
    edit. looking at the statistics the max downstream they have set for me is 43012 and upstream is 16383kbit/s. that's the setting for evision if I took the TV package but I am with Vodafone who dont do tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Just get them a ring to change the profile. In the next week or so they will be able to give you the full 100Mb profile assuming they decide to offer free upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

wired speed after 3 - 4 tests highest was 36.05. ping 45 upload 12.28. Still not great? should I ring them as the distance from the cabinent is not that great to drop it by half of what they told me I would get?
    edit. looking at the statistics the max downstream they have set for me is 43012 and upstream is 16383kbit/s. that's the setting for evision if I took the TV package but I am with Vodafone who dont do tv.

It's worth a shot ringing them. I know I would.

Advertisement