Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭blabley

The eFirbre map on Eircom shows that Edenderry, Offaly has it now but I called and was informed that it hasn't reached the house yet... Was told to call next week and find out. Anyone have any confirmed dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭halkar

blabley wrote: »
    The eFirbre map on Eircom shows that Edenderry, Offaly has it now but I called and was informed that it hasn't reached the house yet... Was told to call next week and find out. Anyone have any confirmed dates?

I was told 12th March by Vodafone for the same area. They won't accept efibre orders before this date.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

someone told me vectoring is on trial in dublin is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭blabley

halkar wrote: »
    I was told 12th March by Vodafone for the same area. They won't accept efibre orders before this date.
    Yeah it did seem to be one of those, 'yeah come back next week, maybe we'll have it then' type statements... We will see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

irishgeo wrote: »

I've heard it's due to actually roll out this week. Should be some cabinets live already.

Any trialling is now over and it's actual rollout time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Trials have been going on since Nov/Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

My latest message!!! :pac:

eFibre is available in your area but your address is not yet enabled.

Call us on 1800 503 303 today to ensure that you are availing of the maximum speeds possible on your current line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Red Nissan wrote: »

Call us on 1800 503 303 today to ensure that you are availing of the maximum speeds possible on your current line.

I've had that message for like 6months... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

red_bairn wrote: »

Me too. I see it as a bad sign. They've done all they can be bothered to do in my area to have it marked as "live" on their map and advertising guff and aren't going to bother putting effort in to additional cabs needed for those of us who cant get it. After the initial cabs went live, they appear to have done pretty much nothing in at least 6 months.

Well it's new to me this week, check every weeks, so I can look forward to another six months so then? Ah Well!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

BigMoose wrote: »
    Me too. I see it as a bad sign. They've done all they can be bothered to do in my area to have it marked as "live" on their map and advertising guff and aren't going to bother putting effort in to additional cabs needed for those of us who cant get it. After the initial cabs went live, they appear to have done pretty much nothing in at least 6 months.

I PM'd the Eircom reps, since I am having a similar message. I was told that there is nothing planned for my area within the next 6 months... which I am interpreting as 'forever'.

I am wondering what are my alternatives? UPC do not provide connectivity where I live, pretty much all of the other providers use Eircom infrastructure anyhow, so am I basically screwed? It would seem so. 3Mb/s on a good day is pretty shoddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Stefan Kuntz

BigMoose wrote: »

I used to think the same for my area, until this afternoon. I've been waiting for a cabinet for my estate for nearly a year. I sent an email to someone at eircom - whose email I found on the ericom website - and he told me it turns out eircom need private wayleave to build a fiber cabinet beside the old cabinet in my estate, but they could not agree on acceptable terms. He said the residents can help by engaging with the management company about this.

Now, I just have to find out who owns the land and kick his/her ass for making me wait this long!

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

irishgeo wrote: »

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircoms_Fibre_Network_to_Offer_Broadband_Speeds_of_100Mb/

Anyone get a speed increase yet? I'm currently getting 23mbits on a 50mbit connection so am hoping to get some sort of boost once vectoring is implemented on my cabinet??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

No sign yet in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

No sign yet in Cork

No change in mine either in Cork.

However, bear in mind "Cork" is a pretty long list of exchange areas. They might do it exchange by exchange or, maybe even according to cabinet serial numbers so it could be quite random.

Huawei's probably doing it too, not necessarily eircom themselves.

From what I gather it's a software update that is done remotely.

My guess is that once they are happy that it's worked flawlessly on say 100+ cabinets and that everything's stable after a few days. Then they'll just blitz the rest of the installed base very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Hopefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

Red Nissan wrote: »

3 months and waiting for me. So I did ring that number.

The clown on the other end told me to check the eircom webite for updates.

Deary, deary me, this ****ing country.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭michaelotoole

To be fair all ISP's say "look at the website for details", just like the old Micro$oft favourite... "Keyboard not found... press Enter to continue"...

In the middle of the country an old guy is chatting with a Dublin blow in... He asks, "Why did you buy a house four mile from the nearest pub, two mile from the bus stop and train station, and one mile from the nearest shop?" ... The Dublin guy looked at him and said.... "Do you see that big green box outside my house?" ... :D

I just tried again saying I was NOT and Eircom Customer and I get the 'older' message. No in my area at all yet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I'm in johnswood in Ashbourne. I rang wit on asking about availability of efibre and was told on two desperate occasions that it's not available to me.
    However, there is a new efibre cabinet 500 yards to my left and another one 500yards to my right!!!! These are both viewable on the map on the other efibre thread on here!
    Anyone know why I'm being told no? Or has anyone who's near me managed to get it? I know a few people on the other side of the village who have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

jarvis wrote: »
    I'm in johnswood in Ashbourne. I rang wit on asking about availability of efibre and was told on two desperate occasions that it's not available to me.
    However, there is a new efibre cabinet 500 yards to my left and another one 500yards to my right!!!! These are both viewable on the map on the other efibre thread on here!
    Anyone know why I'm being told no? Or has anyone who's near me managed to get it? I know a few people on the other side of the village who have it

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

According to the map in Johnswood there is a cabinet marked as completion works in progress. It is possible this will be your cabinet.

I'm in a similar situation: cabinet, electrics in place but no fibre actually connected to the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

jarvis wrote: »

Households in our estate can get it, but not all of them. No explanation why we can't get it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I got a call this morning as I was on my way out the door ,

An engineer to fix a problem on my line , I had not reported one , he said Eircom did and would be with me in 20 Mins .

He came and said there was a bridge tap on the line somewhere in the house , turned out it was to do with when Sky installed the Multiroom years ago they just connected a couple of cables together with some pvc tape.

Eircom were trying to turn on vectoring but could not because of this bridge tap that was showing on the system.

My line was syncing at 51008 /20479 before hand but I had noticed it droping to 40000/14000 at one stage over the last few days ,

I can only see my line attenuation stats on the router home page not sure where to get the rest but my line is now syncing at 81918/20479 which is quite the bump ,

I had previously thought I was 400Mtrs away from my Cab ,

Im a very happy camper !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

An engineer to fix a problem on my line , I had not reported one , he said Eircom did and would be with me in 20 Mins .

He came and said there was a bridge tap on the line somewhere in the house , turned out it was to do with when Sky installed the Multiroom years ago they just connected a couple of cables together with some pvc tape.

Eircom were trying to turn on vectoring but could not because of this bridge tap that was showing on the system.

My line was syncing at 51008 /20479 before hand but I had noticed it droping to 40000/14000 at one stage over the last few days ,

I can only see my line attenuation stats on the router home page not sure where to get the rest but my line is now syncing at 81918/20479 which is quite the bump ,

Im a very happy camper !

Yeah? Big deal... nobody cares about your amazing speed.

I'm just jealous :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Im a very happy camper !

What actual speeds are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭michaelotoole

Isn't there something about bridge tap's and vectoring... insofar as a bridge tap prevents or stop vectoring on the line?
    If so, it might explain how they found the problem in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

No sign of vectoring here in letterkenny, my SNR and attenuation has increase and my sync speed has decreased from 60/20 to 52/18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Is a bridge tap fancy terminology for a short?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Im a very happy camper !

Where are you located?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Where are you located?

His profile says Newbridge.

Advertisement