Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

jca wrote: »
    What actual speeds are you getting?

Im On wireless now ,

but today was 81 down 20 up

Now its usual congested tripe but still a good ping

3364207886.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Im On wireless now ,

but today was 81 down 20 up

Now its usual congested tripe but still a good ping

3364207886.png

Post your stats from your configuration page.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Tried the digiweb server instead of Vodafone which gives different results ,

Its on Wireless again.

3364217890.png

298173.png

Post your stats from your configuration page.

I cant actually find any line stats bar the main overview page on this router :o

I cant actually find any line stats bar the main overview page on this router :o

What router are you using?

• Advertisement

What router are you using?

Nevermind, I can the make on the screenshot. It's strange that others can see them but you can't.

ZyXEL Eircom F1000

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Cork981

Tried the digiweb server instead of Vodafone which gives different results ,

Its on Wireless again.

3364217890.png

298173.png

Can you do a speedtest at speedtest.upc.ie
    That's a much better server.

Looks like you've vectoring enabled on your line alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Any update on Vectoring?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Any update on Vectoring?
    Look at the vectoring thread. Live in Athlone since Wednesday and probably elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

I have a question my house is nearer the exchange than it is to a cabinet and more importantly the cabinet nearest to me has not been upgraded. The exchange goes live next week. Does anyone know if the exchange buildings themselves have a cabinet in them that users close by are connected directly to ? Or must all Efibre run through the roadside cabinets ? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's all cabinets at the moment as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Tweaky wrote: »
    I have a question my house is nearer the exchange than it is to a cabinet and more importantly the cabinet nearest to me has not been upgraded. The exchange goes live next week. Does anyone know if the exchange buildings themselves have a cabinet in them that users close by are connected directly to ? Or must all Efibre run through the roadside cabinets ? Thanks.

Many (most) exchanges have cabinets even for customers who are next door to them.

The issue is more around quirks of older wiring where you've underground junctions instead of cabinets. Some older urban areas in Cork and Dublin have this situation.

I wonder why the upload can't be increased with Vectoring.

20Mb is great but it'd be even better if it was higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

What is the story with Eircom's roll out map? The Clontarf exchange now has no roll out date! It was kept getting pushed back from some reason?! When I last checked it was June 2014 now it's nothing?! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Alsalmo

Does Vodafone not want upgrades?

I got a flier from them in Nov/Dec last inviting me to apply for fibre broadband. However, when I contacted them, I was told that it had not yet gone live in my area and I would be contacted when it had done so.

Over the weekend, I checked on their website and it showed that my line was fibre enabled. I contacted the company and was told that I could have it but would be entering into a new 18 month contract, to which I agreed. I would have a seven day "cooling off " period.

On checking the small print subsequently, I noticed that there was a 10 Euro a month discount available if you had both mobile and land line with Vodafone, but only with a 24 month contract.
    I rang them back within a hour of my first call to arrange this and was told that rather than entering me into a new contract, my contract had been cancelled. The customer care rep could not explain why this had happened but promised a call-back on the issue. None came.
    Following two further calls (on the first occasion I was told that all in the particular office had gone home for the day), I have been told that the modification has been entered on the system and await my new bills to confirm this.

If I had not called them back, it seems that my phone would have gone dead at the end of the month!

• As with Athlone, it was February 2014, then March 2014 & still no word.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Spotted Eircom crews installing fibre into ducting in Clonhaston (Enniscorthy) this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

With regards to FTTH, what happens to all newly built homes at the minute? Are they future proofed for FTTH for when/if it arrives or do they have nothing implemented yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Manc Red wrote: »
    With regards to FTTH, what happens to all newly built homes at the minute? Are they future proofed for FTTH for when/if it arrives or do they have nothing implemented yet?

Walls would still have to be drilled unless there is an open ducting to feed fibre up from. I doubt its on contractors radar at all yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

When I was living in the "countryside" in South Korea, all the new apartment buildings (like mine that had 12 apartments, only 3 floors), had the cabling already installed in between the wire frames before the poured in quick drying cement.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

red_bairn wrote: »
    When I was living in the "countryside" in South Korea, all the new apartment buildings (like mine that had 12 apartments, only 3 floors), had the cabling already installed in between the wire frames before the poured in quick drying cement.

To be honest, that is a pretty poor design.

Better to put cable ducts in new builds to allow them to be more easily upgraded or repaired in the future.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ED E wrote: »
    Walls would still have to be drilled unless there is an open ducting to feed fibre up from. I doubt its on contractors radar at all yet.
    The ESB are planning on pushing fibre through their existing ducts.

But yeah all homes built here since the start of the boom should have had neutral ducts, at present ducts are jealously guarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

iMuse wrote: »
    They announced they are spending 5 million on upgrading letterkenny but it depends how far they are going with the fibre. What does an eircom cabinet look like, how big is it?

a fibre cab costs about €10000 when fully utilisied (each with 4x 48 port cards) to install

Alsalmo wrote: »
    Does Vodafone not want upgrades?

I got a flier from them in Nov/Dec last inviting me to apply for fibre broadband. However, when I contacted them, I was told that it had not yet gone live in my area and I would be contacted when it had done so.

Over the weekend, I checked on their website and it showed that my line was fibre enabled. I contacted the company and was told that I could have it but would be entering into a new 18 month contract, to which I agreed. I would have a seven day "cooling off " period.

On checking the small print subsequently, I noticed that there was a 10 Euro a month discount available if you had both mobile and land line with Vodafone, but only with a 24 month contract.
    I rang them back within a hour of my first call to arrange this and was told that rather than entering me into a new contract, my contract had been cancelled. The customer care rep could not explain why this had happened but promised a call-back on the issue. None came.
    Following two further calls (on the first occasion I was told that all in the particular office had gone home for the day), I have been told that the modification has been entered on the system and await my new bills to confirm this.

If I had not called them back, it seems that my phone would have gone dead at the end of the month!
    Any update?
    So you get a €10 discount for being a Mobile customer?
    Do you have to be BillPay though?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Was passing my exchange this morning and noticed a van outside. Was expecting it to be an Eircom or KN Networks van. When I looked closely at the van I could see that it belonged to Kelly Communications www.kelly.co.uk
    Things must be pretty busy if they are bring in a UK company to help with the rollout. The exchange is due to go live this month so that's what I expect they are up to.
    Anyone else seen any of these vans around ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

bk wrote: »
    To be honest, that is a pretty poor design.

Better to put cable ducts in new builds to allow them to be more easily upgraded or repaired in the future.

Sorry. I think I explained that poorly. The wiring was behind ducts (flat panels) that were in between the structs. It wasn't just for fibre. I think some electrics also may have went in that way. It's hard to describe but I'll look for some photos later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Freddie59 wrote: »
    The coax is far superior to twisted pair. Apparently.

It sure is, it's the only cable used in amateur radio to get those weak signals in from around the world.

Technically a twisted pair would work too, as it's just two wire and is cheap and extremely flexible ~ but one would only ever get strong stations and possibly only local strong stations at that.

Coax has many grades and is much more expensive than twisted pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

Tweaky wrote: »
    Was passing my exchange this morning and noticed a van outside. Was expecting it to be an Eircom or KN Networks van. When I looked closely at the van I could see that it belonged to Kelly Communications www.kelly.co.uk
    Things must be pretty busy if they are bring in a UK company to help with the rollout. The exchange is due to go live this month so that's what I expect they are up to.
    Anyone else seen any of these vans around ?

If you are in Bandon i have seen a load of these vans around also over the last week or so, according to the eircomewholesale.ie site some of the cabinets are due to go live in a weeks time but no date for the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Efibre order gone through with Vodafone (plays waiting game)

Advertisement