Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

E-Fibre has been postponed with no commencement date now in the Clontarf/Marino area of Dublin - bloody hell. They will have more news in 2 months on this...:eek::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

A good few of my neighbours have been getting Fibre recently, loads of KN networks around. Hopefully it'll be me too when I order next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Daughter ordered eFibre from VF on Monday - installed today (Thursday). Modem arrived within 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

fat-tony wrote: »
    Daughter ordered eFibre from VF on Monday - installed today (Thursday). Modem arrived within 24 hours.

Yeah, Vodafone certainly don't hesitate signing you up and getting you online. I got my router the next day and a €30 penalty for breaking my contract a day early - I thought it would take a few days for them to contact Sky and switch me over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Anybody know what's going on with certain dslam's in certain towns for example Tipperary town. the vast majority can now order e-fibre and all can check availability with eircom's line checker.

Areas on either side of me have been enabled and can now order it, I would understand one side over the other but not over 100~150meters of a perimeter around my residence. the easiest way for me to check was to use the phone directory and input phone numbers in my vicinity. it seems I am surrounded by residences and businesses that can now avail of the product and the strange thing is I know for a fact that I share the same dslam with a school that is approximately 150m away that a line test states "You can get a maximum of 70Mb download speed", further away from the school it decreases in increments of approximately every 250m to 500m range with 50MB and up to 40MB respectively

Are they having difficulty with certain lines?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

slade_x wrote: »
    Anybody know what's going on with certain dslam's in certain towns for example Tipperary town. the vast majority can now order e-fibre and all can check availability with eircom's line checker.

Areas on either side of me have been enabled and can now order it, I would understand one side over the other but not over 100~150meters of a perimeter around my residence. the easiest way for me to check was to use the phone directory and input phone numbers in my vicinity. it seems I am surrounded by residences and businesses that can now avail of the product and the strange thing is I know for a fact that I share the same dslam with a school that is approximately 150m away that a line test states "You can get a maximum of 70Mb download speed", further away from the school it decreases in increments of approximately every 250m to 500m range with 50MB and up to 40MB respectively

Are they having difficulty with certain lines?

No. It's distance based technology. The further you are from the cabinet the slower the speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Yeah, Vodafone certainly don't hesitate signing you up and getting you online. I got my router the next day and a €30 penalty for breaking my contract a day early - I thought it would take a few days for them to contact Sky and switch me over.

They don't contact Sky. They just request your line from 'eircom Wholesale'. They wouldn't know (or care) who the line is with.

If there were minimum contractual obligations with the existing provider, you'll either get an enormous final bill or, they might be able to block the porting process.

• Can somebody tell me if there is any relevant information be received from this; The apparent live date is March 2014

NGA Exchange Name: Roslevin
    Copper Parent Exchange: ATHLONE HPO
    Cab Number: ATH1_003
    CCP Address: Monksland Industrial Estate, Athlone
    East Co Ordinates: 201110
    North Co Ordinates: 240940
    New Cabinet:
    Indicative ARD: 286
    Cabinet Landed:
    Cabinet Energised:
    Cabinet Commissioned:
    Indicative cabinet RFO date:

You think? They left me with two bills for 60 days. My bb was with sky and my calls and line rental with them. I told them to shove it on the 60'th day and went to Eircom who had me up and running on the eFibre within the week. Vodafone then had the cheek to send me a final bill for €170!!! A termination fee they called it, a quick call to my bank to cancel the dd followed by an email to their customer support soon had that notion dispelled. Getting on fine with Eircom I must say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

jca wrote: »
    No. It's distance based technology. The further you are from the cabinet the slower the speed.

Yes i am well aware of that, i am practically on top of an exchange that i share with a premises that has been already enabled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Yes i am well aware of that, i am practically on top of an exchange that i share with a premises that has been already enabled

That's possibly the issue, exchanges themselves do not have any VDSL gear in them so if you are fed directly from the exchange all you can get is ADSL...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

bealtine wrote: »
    That's possibly the issue, exchanges themselves do not have any VDSL gear in them so if you are fed directly from the exchange all you can get is ADSL...

That would be a ridiculous situation ....... those closest to the exchange, without the need of any intervening cabinets could not be enabled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

That would be a ridiculous situation ....... those closest to the exchange, without the need of any intervening cabinets could not be enabled?

Yep...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭jd

I think there may be regulatory issues. Eircom wholesale, the various telecom companies and comreg are trying to sort it out.

Maybe you're directly connected to the exchage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, it is ridiculous, but I believe a solution to this issue is on it's way. I'm afraid you will just have to wait for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

bk wrote: »
    Yes, it is ridiculous, but I believe a solution to this issue is on it's way. I'm afraid you will just have to wait for the time being.

The downside of being in a house built in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

Letterkenny exchange has 2 VDSL cabinets directly outside it. Why can't the do the same elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

eFibre network reaches over 750,000 homes and businesses, with Eircom having recently connected its 100,000th fibre customer. Fair Play. They now have more fibre customers than UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

Not true, UPC have 300k fibre customers, eircom have 100k albeit since last May, they do deserve credit though for the scale of this rollout - it really is national

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me if there is any relevant information be received from this; The apparent live date is March 2014

NGA Exchange Name: Roslevin
    Copper Parent Exchange: ATHLONE HPO
    Cab Number: ATH1_003
    CCP Address: Monksland Industrial Estate, Athlone
    East Co Ordinates: 201110
    North Co Ordinates: 240940
    New Cabinet:
    Indicative ARD: 286
    Cabinet Landed:
    Cabinet Energised:
    Cabinet Commissioned:
    Indicative cabinet RFO date:

The exchange may be live in March, but if thats your cab it most likely won't be for another few months.

My exchange has been live since February, but I will only be able to order from the 30th April. Counting down the days!

Danny Boy wrote: »
    Not true, UPC have 300k fibre customers, eircom have 100k albeit since last May, they do deserve credit though for the scale of this rollout - it really is national

UPC don't have any fibre customers..... very little fibre in their network. Terrible service too. Sorry I just have no time for UPC. ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

they do deserve credit though for the scale of this rollout - it really is national

No credit from me. Confirmed that I would be connected by May last year (new cab at the end of my street). Tried to sign me up but I said i'd wait. Rang back in May and they said I had it wrong and that I am actually in another zone (which is 3 miles from my house on their map). The "new" zone was confirmed as being due for connection to eFibre by December of this year. Now they have removed this notice and told me that they have no plans to upgrade this zone, despite this zone being completely surrounded by zones that are already connected. New management, same inaccurate information and idiotic logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

No, no they don't
    I was suppose to get efibre in my area last year

still bloody waiting
    and I live in a very populated area....and yet all the surrounding areas have efibre
    joke of a service too be honest

every month I ring asking them when is it coming
    they say next month sir
    next month comes I ring again
    I get the same answer

they deserve sweet f a

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Was talking to my friend in the Netherlands and he has a really "slow" internet package, only getting 90/90!!!

Anyway, there seems to have been a lot of KN/Eircom activity around the cabinets today in Carlow town.
    Wonder does that have anything to do with switching customers over or even vectoring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Was talking to my friend in the Netherlands and he has a really "slow" internet package, only getting 90/90!!!

Anyway, there seems to have been a lot of KN/Eircom activity around the cabinets today in Carlow town.
    Wonder does that have anything to do with switching customers over or even vectoring?

That might be slow for their particular locality. But 13% of the Netherlands is below 4 and their average is around 12. Like everywhere else in the world it depends on location and distance from cabinets and exchanges.

http://www.iamexpat.nl/read-and-discuss/expat-page/news/netherlands-fastest-internet-europe

Sister lives in Amsterdam. Her internet is with kpn it's dire. Barely above dialup speeds sometimes. Other sister is in zwolle and her kpn internet is brilliant although she recently changed to a cable provider for tv internet all in one deal and she's very happy with it after a shaky start.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jca wrote: »
    UPC don't have any fibre customers..... very little fibre in their network. Terrible service too. Sorry I just have no time for UPC. ...
    LOL it's all fibre to the cabinet. FTTH isn't exactly common on efibre.

Yes it's a pain to ring UPC but haven't done that for years , apart from haggling for a better contract everytime they up the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

just an idea, first time I've ventured in here for a while, should probably have a FAQ on the first page, an awful lot of the same questions over and over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

billyduk wrote: »
    No credit from me. Confirmed that I would be connected by May last year (new cab at the end of my street). Tried to sign me up but I said i'd wait. Rang back in May and they said I had it wrong and that I am actually in another zone (which is 3 miles from my house on their map). The "new" zone was confirmed as being due for connection to eFibre by December of this year. Now they have removed this notice and told me that they have no plans to upgrade this zone, despite this zone being completely surrounded by zones that are already connected. New management, same inaccurate information and idiotic logic.
    2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    No, no they don't
    I was suppose to get efibre in my area last year

still bloody waiting
    and I live in a very populated area....and yet all the surrounding areas have efibre
    joke of a service too be honest

every month I ring asking them when is it coming
    they say next month sir
    next month comes I ring again
    I get the same answer

they deserve sweet f a

These are all isolated incidents and anecdotes. The fact of the matter is this has been an impressive rollout but not perfect, and there is more to come.

Advertisement