Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

ED E wrote: »
    If they're all direct fed then they go back to a 200 pair somewhere. There may be a junction in a UG cavity. If theres room above that build the cabs there and jumper them over.

Nope. Some houses are on efibre.

What is a UG cavity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

red_bairn wrote: »
    Nope. Some houses are on efibre.

What is a UG cavity?

An underground connection point. Used a lot in the cities before bb was ever dreamt of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

We've a completed date showing on map, are they fairly accurate on those dates?? how soon after its live can it be ordered from either eircom / vodafone? with eircom at the moment, but bills too high

ATD1_015

Fibre Broadband Cabinet is expected to go Live on 30/04/14

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

I would go by this this map myself, i believe its more up to date.

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    I would go by this this map myself, i believe its more up to date.

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

My link shows the locations of the cabinets and, for some, when they go live. It's a new map Eircom released, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

My link shows the locations of the cabinets and, for some, when they go live. It's a new map Eircom released, I think.

Aye. Released after ours. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

Anyone with some inside info have any idea when the fibre cabinets in the Greenogue Industrial Estate, Rathcoole will be completed. They are all in "Fibre Build Commenced" status. I rang this morning but they couldn't give me any timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

After months of estates around me in Navan getting efibre and us suffering 1-2mbs broadband since returning to eircom in November, efibre has finally come live for ordering for me,cabinet live may 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Anyone know how long the work takes on a cabinet. There is no indication of efibre coming to my area on the eircom map, although eircom wholesale says the cabinet right outside my estate us marked for upgrade.
    So heading to the shop today see kn networks out at the cabinet in my estate with the whole place dug up, could I still be waiting months or is it a long process?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

mightyreds wrote: »
    Anyone know how long the work takes on a cabinet. There is no indication of efibre coming to my area on the eircom map, although eircom wholesale says the cabinet right outside my estate us marked for upgrade.
    So heading to the shop today see kn networks out at the cabinet in my estate with the whole place dug up, could I still be waiting months or is it a long process?

In my case the physical cabinet has been in place at the entrance to my estate since August but it is still not live. The eircom wholesale website now says the cabinet is "Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress". I still have no idea how long it will be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

4 months in my case, from vdsl cabinet being installed to getting my fibre connection. The longest wait in history. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

They're pretty quick at the install/earth works side of things, waiting for Eircom to turn it on is the slow part.

E.g. the nearest cab to me was scheduled for November last year. Mid October kn networks installed the fibre, and in two days they had installed the cab and finished all the ground works.

Then Eircom repeatedly pushed back the go live date, every month for about 5 months.
    Finally now it is live, yet it seems most of the people close enough to the cab to get service aren't actually conected to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Thanks guys could be another while so, we aren't even on the roll out map yet was surprised when I went out and they were installing the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Speaking of ESB broadband, does anyone know when they're going to be offering that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

jca wrote: »
    There's no chance of UPC ever becoming a de-facto monopoly they're only interested in the cities and very large towns. I'd hardly call my speed jumping from 8 meg to 48 meg for €35 pm(€50 after 6 months) an "incremental" increase. I'd sooner enjoy 48 meg than stay with 8 meg and wait for "some" telecoms company to arrive and give me ftth. It ain't going to happen.

Why not? If UPC is only focusing on urban areas, in the absence of any competition capable of offering similar speeds etc, it will become an urban monopoly. This leaves eircom & co to deal with rural areas which are far more expensive per house to provide a service to - especially using copper wire which is a very high maintenance technology compared with fibre. Eircom has already shot itself in the foot multiple times thanks to multiple financial engineering tricks which went bad. It is running out of financial industry credibility as a result and will have great difficulty getting the necessary capital to maintain coverage at the required performance level into the future, especially in consumer markets.

The only solution is a single open shared fibre network.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Eircom isn't only covering the rural areas that UPC won't touch, they're also covering large towns that UPC has yet to give any hint they'll be going anywhere near.

bk wrote: »
    In order for Eircom to connect the same 1.4 million homes with FTTH, it would thus have cost them about 1.5 billion (which they don't have) and taken about 15 years!!!

I'm sure the majority of 1.4 million people would be much happier having "good enough" 100mb/s BB today, then being stuck on 4mb/s for the next 15 years waiting for FTTH!!

I am not advocating that eircom spend 1.5 billion € inventing its own fibre network. That would only create a bi-nopoly. I am calling for a plan to outsource a real next generation network under tender to a new entity. This network would provide the plumbing platform for everybody - UPC included - to achieve FTTH. Both eircom, UPC and others could contribute their fibre to this platform, and get credit for this act.

The platform network might be financed by long term bonds which would provide the needed funds at a fixed interest cost for the life of the bonds - say 25 years (matching the expected life of the platform).

Savings - only one network to maintain, using the lowest cost of maintenance technology. Nobody would be disadvantaged because they live in a rural area or in downtown Dublin. A level playing field, without weeds, bald patches, damage from flooding, etc.

The consumer would pay a monthly fee, some of which would go to the provider (eg UPC. Eircom, or anybody else in the industry), and part of this fee would go to the platform owning company to pay interest, maintenance costs and contribute towards a sinking fund for future network updates.

This platform would not require large scale capital funding from Government, nor would it require large amounts of capital investment from the industry. Quite the contrary - it would reduce capital expenditure for the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    Logical thinking like that will only get you in trouble!! This is Ireland. We need multi agencies, all creaming tax payers money, with consultant fees, back handers, political manoeuvrings, peer pressure, directors sitting on telecommunication company boards, Gov. interference, money wasted, investment cut short and of course lobbying by other interested parties to make sure things aren't level at all... That's what we know - ah sure why change a system that works.

Next yer be wanting postcodes for free and everything.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

MBSnr wrote: »

Next yer be wanting postcodes for free and everything.... :eek:

I would not bat an eyelid if they announced in the morn' that businesses would have to pay for one.

I would not bat an eyelid if they announced in the morn' that businesses would have to pay for one.

It looks as if it will be a complex postcode system, which will no doubt be sold to companies for their customer databases, and they will probably have to pay for postcodes if they want multiple codes for the same address so that mail would arrive pre-sorted to their requirements.

The simple 4 or 5 digit codes used in intelligently run countries can usually be downloaded from the postal service website, usually in spreadsheet or text format. Making them easy to incorporate into a database, receivables system, CMS, or any other application.

It will cost a fortune to implement the complex postcode system expected in Ireland in each commercial or government entity. Total cost for business and government - over €100 million at a guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Impetus wrote: »
    Why not? If UPC is only focusing on urban areas, in the absence of any competition capable of offering similar speeds etc, it will become an urban monopoly.

But this hasn't happened, Eircom are currently spending 500 million to build a network to compete with UPC. And to be honest, it does compete.

While it doesn't match UPC's download speed, Vodafone 100/20 for €35 per month has double the upload speed of any UPC product, while being cheaper then any UPC product.

The lack of download speed really isn't an issue, as most people use wifi which tops out at about 80mb/s anyway.

To be honest if I had a choice of
    - UPC
    120/10 €44
    - Vodafone 100/20 €35

I'd actually take Vodafone, specially for the increased upload speed.

So Eircom certainly does have a product that competes with UPC in urban areas, there is no monopoly here.
    I am not advocating that eircom spend 1.5 billion € inventing its own fibre network. That would only create a bi-nopoly. I am calling for a plan to outsource a real next generation network under tender to a new entity. This network would provide the plumbing platform for everybody - UPC included - to achieve FTTH. Both eircom, UPC and others could contribute their fibre to this platform, and get credit for this act.

It is a great idea and I myself suggested exactly the same a few years ago, unfortunately I think it is too late for this now!

Five years ago this would have made sense, now you have UPC who has spent 500 million on rebuilding their network, Eircom spending 500 million on rebuilding their network and ESB about to spend 500 million building their network.

Given that private industry seems very willing to invest their own money building fibre networks, then the government would rightfully question why they should be spending billions more building yet another network?

It is too late, this boat has already sailed.

Of course these networks don't solve the rural broadband divide. However I think we will probably end up following the UK's lead here. The UK government is subsiding BT to rollout VDSL and FTTH in rural areas. We will probably end up doing the same with Eircom.

But this hasn't happened, Eircom are currently spending 500 million to build a network to compete with UPC. And to be honest, it does compete.

While it doesn't match UPC's download speed, Vodafone 100/20 for €35 per month has double the upload speed of any UPC product, while being cheaper then any UPC product.

The lack of download speed really isn't an issue, as most people use wifi which tops out at about 80mb/s anyway.

To be honest if I had a choice of
    - UPC
    120/10 €44
    - Vodafone 100/20 €35

I'd actually take Vodafone, specially for the increased upload speed.

So Eircom certainly does have a product that competes with UPC in urban areas, there is no monopoly here.

But look at the urban market share trend which is moving in the UPC direction relentlessly. Ireland will end up like dumb America. Are you happy with a bi-nopoly anyway? You can have a Ford or a Nissan. But no Mercedes-Benz, BMW, VW, etc among the zillions of choices the car buyer has.

It is a great idea and I myself suggested exactly the same a few years ago, unfortunately I think it is too late for this now!

Five years ago this would have made sense, now you have UPC who has spent 500 million on rebuilding their network, Eircom spending 500 million on rebuilding their network and ESB about to spend 500 million building their network.

Why is it too late now if there is a pooling of existing fibre resources - and anything else that is technology long term appropriate to put into the pool. Taking UPC and eircom VDSL2 as a given (which is a leap), you still have the last km, or few hundred meters which can fiberised on a common platform basis. Not been done yet in 99% of homes, so it is a green field. You just pool the relevant backhaul fibre on a shared basis (in the same way as banks share their ATM networks - ie they charge a large fee to each other for each transaction to each other, but this does not get billed to the end user. It simply stops a newbie getting a free lunch without making a reasonable contribution in terms of ATM installed base). You can also involve the ESB fibre network on the same basis.

Given that private industry seems very willing to invest their own money building fibre networks, then the government would rightfully question why they should be spending billions more building yet another network?

Please read my posting again - I am not suggesting a large investment from Gov. Private Equity companies like KKR and their friends don't use (much) KKR own funding to get the show on the road - they create a big picture platform and sell it to individual investors. In the same way as gov.ie should have a big picture vision for Ireland's real next generation network for the next two decades plus.
    Of course these networks don't solve the rural broadband divide. However I think we will probably end up following the UK's lead here. The UK government is subsiding BT to rollout VDSL and FTTH in rural areas. We will probably end up doing the same with Eircom.

I don't think you need government financial subsidy. The single platform establishes a single price at which it is viable nation-wide. No need for subsidies. Britain usually gets it wrong - eg railways, motorways, health service, pensions, manufacturing, even financial services (eg the London Whale which cost one bank 12 billion), housing, driving on the wrong side of the road, using different plugs to everybody else etc. Ireland has followed many of their mistakes to its own expense. Why continue along this dumb path?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Still in crazyland as always...

1. Complaining about monopolisation but then suggesting giving one firm control of the entire national grid?

2. Your suggestion still doesn't cover rural homes. On a privatised basis nobody will ever run ftth or vdsl to ribbon developments in rural kerry etc. Never going to happen. You're talking 20yr contracts just to make back installation costs.

3. You seem to think Rabbite and co even know what the term "last mile" refers to? This kind of large scale organization isn't even close to being on the political radar.

Yes, a homogeneous ftth or fttdp scheme is ideal. No, it will never happen. This is ireland. So can you please stop dragging threads ot with fantasies?

Britain usually gets it wrong - eg railways, motorways, health service, pensions, manufacturing, even financial services (eg the London Whale which cost one bank 12 billion), housing, driving on the wrong side of the road, using different plugs to everybody else etc. Ireland has followed many of their mistakes to its own expense. Why continue along this dumb path?

Erm... It gets some things wrong, but it takes Ireland to really get it ar$eways. That's not copying. We're pretty good at making a balls up of it ourselves, without them, in all fairness.

Now where to start the list...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Our VDSL rollout appears to be better than the uk. Still no large scale vectoring over there. This is going well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I would say that Eircom / KN networks / Huawei have done a very good job with this rollout. Better than expected.

Praetorian wrote: »
    I would say that Eircom / KN networks / Huawei have done a very good job with this rollout. Better than expected.

+1.
    The KN guy came and fitted a line beeper to find the line at the cab, un-boxed the modem, spoke to some one on the phone and it was all up and running in 15-20 minutes. :eek: Amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Praetorian wrote: »

How many of the 1.4m are now services?

Two of the three years have passed since this thread started ...... do they have nearly 1m services by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

How many of the 1.4m are now services?

Two of the three years have passed since this thread started ...... do they have nearly 1m services by now?

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_Group_Now_Operates_the_Largest_Fibre_Network_in_Ireland/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Annoying how they keep calling vdsl fibre.
    That press release reads as if they're doing a mass ftth rollout.

Advertisement