Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Praetorian wrote: »
    I uploaded some 4k red footage recently, 250 gigs of it. It was easy with 20m/bit up :)

I agree fast upload speeds like this are a game changer.

Stop teasing me! :pac:

That's amazing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

This fibre roll-out is so bloody slow.

Due eFibre in November, it's now April....

Absolutely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

This fibre roll-out is so bloody slow.

Due eFibre in November, it's now April....

Absolutely useless.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

How many of the 1.4m are now serviced?

Two of the three years have passed since this thread started ...... do they have nearly 1m services by now?

I cannot seem to find a date on that press release ....... any idea when those figures were achieved? Maybe I am missing something very obvious :(

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_Group_Now_Operates_the_Largest_Fibre_Network_in_Ireland/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just curious why you say a faster upload speed is a game changer?

When you get about 50mb/s you almost notice no difference between a 50mb/s download speed and a 200mb/s download speed. Most of the time you are throttled by the speed of the server you are downloading from anyway. Also most video streaming services make no use of such speeds anyway.

However a decent upload speed can make a big difference if you are using cloud services like dropbox or uploading video to youtube, etc.

I wish UPC's upload speed was a bit more balanced with their download speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

While I agree somewhat, if you actually test content services many cant max out 10Mb up, Dropbox certainly can't. So the largest use case for more upstream would probably be the P2P crowd right now.

BTW Alan I probably sync 20Gb Up to dropbox every week :pac: Try that one on ADSL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Nope.

Yep.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yep.

I'm afraid you are wrong, Eircoms FTTC rollout is one of the fastest and most impressive rollouts of any network anywhere in the world in a long time.

Also Eircom are literally one of the first networks in the world to enable vectoring.

Yes, there might have been an unforeseen delay in your area, but on the whole it is going extremely well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

bk wrote: »
    I'm afraid you are wrong, Eircoms FTTC rollout is one of the fastest and most impressive rollouts of any network anywhere in the world in a long time.

Also Eircom are literally one of the first networks in the world to enable vectoring.

Yes, there might have been an unforeseen delay in your area, but on the whole it is going extremely well.

Cant wait until it comes to my area!

Jan theres a reasonable chance you can blame your County Council or An Board Planala if they're on that much of a delay. That or there's an issue with getting ESB power to the cabs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

now all we need is the government to fund vdsl rollout to at least the 4-6km radius of most towns/villages/exchanges, that would get nearly everyone, but how many years before that even starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

http://clareherald.com/2014/04/17/60kms-of-eircom-cable-stolen-last-year/
    Eircom lost 60,000m (60kms) of copper cable worth at over €240,000 to metal thieves in 2013 while a further €17,000 worth of copper wiring has been stolen so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I'm sick of it anyway. Even if the council are to blame and NTCC can be useless at the best of times, our cabinets are done all over town and the map says Roscrea is due July 2014 ( after been pushed back I dunno how many times ) but a lad I know in eircom said it won't happen in July as the guys who test the cabinets before going live are only working on stuff in Carlow at the minute and Roscrea isn't on the forecast for testing this side of July... I hope I'm wrong but the amount of times they push it back I wouldn't be one bit surprised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Manc Red wrote: »

It's getting so bad in Britain that BT new puts exploding die packs into the cables so if someone attempts to steal them they're splattered in indelible ink.

ED E wrote: »
    While I agree somewhat, if you actually test content services many cant max out 10Mb up, Dropbox certainly can't. So the largest use case for more upstream would probably be the P2P crowd right now.

BTW Alan I probably sync 20Gb Up to dropbox every week :pac: Try that one on ADSL!

Ah God... Vodafone hurry up and gimme an install date!!

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I'm sick of it anyway. Even if the council are to blame and NTCC can be useless at the best of times, our cabinets are done all over town and the map says Roscrea is due July 2014 ( after been pushed back I dunno how many times ) but a lad I know in eircom said it won't happen in July as the guys who test the cabinets before going live are only working on stuff in Carlow at the minute and Roscrea isn't on the forecast for testing this side of July... I hope I'm wrong but the amount of times they push it back I wouldn't be one bit surprised

Carlow has been activated since July of last year. Why would that effect you in Tipperary?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

"eFibre is available in your area but your address is not yet enabled"

Is this one of those direct to cabinet issues and I am likely wasting my time ringing and asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

jeffk wrote: »

Is this one of those direct to cabinet issues and I am likely wasting my time ringing and asking?

Eircom mightn't have built a cabinet for your estate/area yet. Find your local cabinet with this: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/#nga-map

Click on the 3rd map.

Eircom mightn't have built a cabinet for your estate/area yet. Find your local cabinet with this: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/#nga-map

Click on the 3rd map.

I messed around with the address checker and number one in my estate gets it,but we cant down here in forty seven

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I messed around with the address checker and number one in my estate gets it,but we cant down here in forty seven

I have a similar situation in my estate where about one-seventh of my estate is connected to a different cabinet.

• Advertisement

I have a similar situation in my estate where about one-seventh of my estate is connected to a different cabinet.

Very strange and more annoying,especially when you hear about UPC and their speeds.

Only things stopping me are not sure how much cheaper/dearer UPC are and then the issues off running wires/home-plugs/wireless cards for two pcs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Not all cabinets in the area go live at the same time. You could be on a cabinet that's awaiting esb or to be commissioned.

jca wrote: »
    Not all cabinets in the area go live at the same time. You could be on a cabinet that's awaiting esb or to be commissioned.

Looked on the third map on the link provided and the only cabinets near/beside my estate are all live,there are none planned to be built etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

and then the issues off running wires/home-plugs/wireless cards for two pcs
    But you'd have to do that regardless of which provider you go with :confused:

efibre / UPC / fixed wireless / 4g /etc. all give you one device and then it's up to you to connect via wireless or home plug or cat 5 or pigeons

But you'd have to do that regardless of which provider you go with :confused:

efibre / UPC / fixed wireless / 4g /etc. all give you one device and then it's up to you to connect via wireless or home plug or cat 5 or pigeons

I had this pages ago and couldn't get a definite answer as to what cable/setup eircom uses for efibre

We have a phone cable running upstairs(for a house phone),a cable runes from that into the eircom router in my brothers room,that then connects to his pc and then i run a lan cable to my room/pc

(I know there are proper titles for the cables,just speaking in simple english)

There's a cabinet outside the GAA in Carlow that's been there since last year and it's marked that it's not gone live.

This is the cabinet I thought I was connected to which I can't be which means I'm connected to one closer to me!

Around 400 metres or so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Carlow has been activated since July of last year. Why would that effect you in Tipperary?

Not exactly sure why, maybe they're somewhere else in Carlow as opposed to Carlow town but I believe them more than what the eircom map says cos it's always wrong and changed 5 times since Christmas.... All that said I hope he has fed me wrong info and that we will in fact go live in July

Anyone in the know about the cabs? Looks like our road is serviced by a pretty giant white one. More than twice the width of the normal green ones with the lock, and a bit thicker too. You can hear the fans running inside but its not live yet. Assume its waiting for commissioning. Just wondering though, if the small cabs support 200 lines, how many do these ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Anyone in the know about the cabs? Looks like our road is serviced by a pretty giant white one. More than twice the width of the normal green ones with the lock, and a bit thicker too. You can hear the fans running inside but its not live yet. Assume its waiting for commissioning. Just wondering though, if the small cabs support 200 lines, how many do these ones?
    That's probably nothing to do with eircom. Unless you're in one of the trial areas, but they're all running a long time.
    Eircom cabinets are in the vast majority of cases dark green with a black lock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Maybe it's a mini exchange. I've seen them mentioned here before

Advertisement