Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

jca wrote: »
    Maybe it's a mini exchange. I've seen them mentioned here before

Sounds like it. There's one hanging off our exchange (ADSL) which is ADSL2+ enabled, so anyone on that is luckier than us on the main exchange......

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TheChizler wrote: »
    That's probably nothing to do with eircom. Unless you're in one of the trial areas, but they're all running a long time.
    Eircom cabinets are in the vast majority of cases dark green with a black lock.

Nope, its eircom. It has a fibre cab code. And not all the new cabs are that design. Ive seen several pairs where they're a double door design. And some of the copper cabs are white(have one of them quite close by).
    Maybe it's a mini exchange. I've seen them mentioned here before

A subtended exchange would make sense. Could be why its still incomplete as they probably wouldnt be as simple to refit.
    MBSnr wrote: »
    Sounds like it. There's one hanging off our exchange (ADSL) which is ADSL2+ enabled, so anyone on that is luckier than us on the main exchange......

Actually, cant be an mini exchange, DSL speeds would be far higher if it was. Unless we're direct fed instead.

Gonna have to grab a local tech sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Any chance of a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

This it ED E?

118k5rt.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

kaizersoze wrote: »
    This it ED E?

118k5rt.jpg

I don't think so, there's no lock on it and it isn't green.

• Advertisement

I don't think so, there's no lock on it and it isn't green.

Read his description...;)
    Anyone in the know about the cabs? Looks like our road is serviced by a pretty giant white one. More than twice the width of the normal green ones with the lock, and a bit thicker too

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Cork981

This it ED E?

118k5rt.jpg

I've seen a few of these cabs pop up around cork city center the last few weeks.

Not sure if the integrate the copper cabs, power supply's or transformers or just simply high capacity cabs.

Cork981 wrote: »
    I've seen a few of these cabs pop up around cork city center the last few weeks.

Not sure if the integrate the copper cabs, power supply's or transformers or just simply high capacity cabs.
    That's very interesting, where exactly? We were wondering what was going to happen in the city centre as most of it's direct fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Cork981

TheChizler wrote: »
    That's very interesting, where exactly? We were wondering what was going to happen in the city centre as most of it's direct fed.

Can't remember all the locations but I've definitely seen one at Victoria cross across the road from the Chinese, also fairly sure I've seen one down by merchants quay recently.

I'll take a few snaps as I come across them and post them here.

This it ED E?

118k5rt.jpg

Thats her alright.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Thats her alright.

That is one of the original cabs used in the pilot rollout.
    I think it combined the copper cab as well.
    Up to 12,000 residential and business premises across Sandyford Village, parts of Dundrum, Stillorgan and Priory Park will have access to fibre broadband when services are launched.

Its DDM so thats right, but map has it as unfinished. Hmmm.

ED E wrote: »
    Its DDM so thats right, but map has it as unfinished. Hmmm.
    Ah, so you ARE in a trial area! They went in years ago, should all be active.

My suspicion is that we're beside it, but not part of it. If thats the case, theres either a hidden cab somewhere nearby or we're direct fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Curiosity in Newcastle, Co. Dublin.

Probably not interesting or curious at all really but I find it so....

If you look at the VDSL map there and see the 2 cabinets being built side by side at the junction of Aylmer Road and Main Street it seems one of the cabinets will be served from Rathcoole and the other from Greenogue. Is there any reason they'd want or need to do this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

murphaph wrote: »
    Curiosity in Newcastle, Co. Dublin.

Probably not interesting or curious at all really but I find it so....

If you look at the VDSL map there and see the 2 cabinets being built side by side at the junction of Aylmer Road and Main Street it seems one of the cabinets will be served from Rathcoole and the other from Greenogue. Is there any reason they'd want or need to do this?
    I honestly haven't a clue but my guess would be they've a bigger area to service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Does anybody know whether your ADSL2+ Line Attenuation/SNR will have any effects on that of VDSL, or are they separate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Does anybody know whether your ADSL2+ Line Attenuation/SNR will have any effects on that of VDSL, or are they separate?

ADSL2+ goes the whole way to the exchange, VDSL2 only goes as far as the street cabinet, so the two figures aren't really comparable as one's for a very short length of line and the other is for anything up to 5km of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

SpaceTime wrote: »
    ADSL2+ goes the whole way to the exchange, VDSL2 only goes as far as the street cabinet, so the two figures aren't really comparable as one's for a very short length of line and the other is for anything up to 5km of line.

Yes. As soon, or if, Eircom enable direct connections from the exchange we won't really know. I saw in the other Eircom thread a guy posted line attenuation of 29dB with a 40/10 profile. That gives me hope on my direct fed connection if the dB values remain similar......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I'm 1.4KM from the Fibre Exchange in Killarney. Engineer due to install the Vodafone service tomorrow. The lad on the phone said I will be getting 80mb but realistically will it be a lot less?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Aodhagan wrote: »
    I'm 1.4KM from the Fibre Exchange in Killarney. Engineer due to install the Vodafone service tomorrow. The lad on the phone said I will be getting 80mb but realistically will it be a lot less?

It doesn't matter how far you are from the exchange. How far you are from the cabinet is what decides your speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

As JCA said, the exchange is irrelevant. You will probably get 80Mbit if that's what they estimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Cheers guys i'm 150m from the cabinet so i'm hoping for great speeds and pings!

It doesn't matter how far you are from the exchange. How far you are from the cabinet is what decides your speed.

Thanks. I'm not really sure where the cabinet is. The guy also said that it could be 80mb via ethernet but maybe a lot lower over WiFi? Why would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Thanks. I'm not really sure where the cabinet is. The guy also said that it could be 80mb via ethernet but maybe a lot lower over WiFi? Why would that be?

The same reason why you cannot pick up FM 104 in your car in America - the further you are away from the transmitter/antenna, the weaker the signal.

Click on the 3rd map to find your local cabinet: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/#nga-map

The same reason why you cannot pick up FM 104 in your car in America - the further you are away from the transmitter/antenna, the weaker the signal.

Click on the 3rd map to find your local cabinet: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/#nga-map

Thanks. It's 162m away from me?

Thanks. It's 162m away from me?

Try this map for calculating distance because the Eircom one seems to calculate as the crows fly: http://irelandoffline.org/mapbeta/#/main

You need to figure out how far you are away by the road because telephone lines usually travel under footpaths.

Just under 200m away on that map.

Just under 200m away on that map.

If you're 200m from the cabinet, you should get the full 100Mb down/ 20Mb up, but often telephone lines take a slightly longer route. The maps aren't accurate, they just a rough estimation. Only Eircom know exactly how long your line is.

• Advertisement

If you're 200m from the cabinet, you should get the full 100Mb down/ 20Mb up, but often telephone lines take a slightly longer route. The maps aren't accurate, they just a rough estimation. Only Eircom know exactly how long your line is.

The tech support guy said 80mb but that might be just the limit they put on the profile. It's getting installed tomorrow so I'll report back with the speeds :cool: Thanks for your help :)

Advertisement