Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Fibre installed this morning.

3460914632.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Very very nice. Another impressive VDSL story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

1.4m in three years was the plan.

Over two years into the project, does anyone know how far to the target Eircom have reached?

Over two years into the project, does anyone know how far to the target Eircom have reached?

Half way there. Available to 750,000 homes and business, 100,000 connected.

Very very nice. Another impressive VDSL story!

It was quite funny actually, when the eircom engineer finished his work he said it is between 30-40mb's and when I said I thought it was going to be 70-80 he laughed at me and said you won't be getting speeds like that around here. 10 minutes after he left it hit 75mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

750k approx

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Aodhagan wrote: »
    It was quite funny actually, when the eircom engineer finished his work he said it is between 30-40mb's and when I said I thought it was going to be 70-80 he laughed at me and said you won't be getting speeds like that around here. 10 minutes after he left it hit 75mb.

They're just fitters, they know very little about what they're working on ^^

ED E wrote: »
    They're just fitters, they know very little about what they're working on ^^

+1000

2 lads fitted mine a few months ago. When one of them went down to the cabinet I logged into the router stats page and saw it had synced over VDSL. I told the guy that was still in my place and he had never seen a router stats page before. Spend a few minutes explaining it to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Before...
    3455674103.png
    After...
    3461461836.png
    Only the slightest bit of an increase...

I thought I was far away from the cabinet but judging by these speeds, I mustn't be.

Delighted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Nice upgrade!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Before...
    3455674103.png
    After...
    3461461836.png
    Only the slightest bit of an increase...

I thought I was far away from the cabinet but judging by these speeds, I mustn't be.

Delighted! :D

Bejaney, how many threads have you posted your new results in :D

fat-tony wrote: »

Shhhh.... ;)
    Haha but every post is actually slightly different.
    I am so happy that I switched, I can't remember where I saved the bookmark on how to inspect the element though :P

I've annoyed my closest friends and family talking about mine. That's what years of slow broadband does to a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

I think the direct feed issue might be close to becoming rectified. spied cabs inside exchanges waiting to be energised with loop cables to the mdf

arctan wrote: »
    I think the direct feed issue might be close to becoming rectified. spied cabs inside exchanges waiting to be energised with loop cables to the mdf

That would be good news to those direct fed customers! I wonder if a different profile might be used (8a/b/c/d or 12a/b) to cater for the very long loop lengths which some customers have. In my local area almost all the cabs are done, but there are pockets of subscribers direct-fed from the exchange and in some cases are 2.5 - 3k distant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Great news Arctan! Is it the actual physical green cab inside the exchange? Or is it just the equipment from the cab on a rack? :)

At work I'm only about 120 m from the exchange so I'm looking forward to swapping hopefully my current lines a 18 x 2m/bit line & a 12 x 1m/bit line for hopefully 2 x 100 x 20m/bit lines :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

TOny,

IS that wired into the router or via wifi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭eircom: Aisling

Hi FastFullBack

I have looked into this for you and although you are in an eFibre enabled area your home is not yet enabled as different address with the exchange areas are being upgraded at different times.

eFibre operations have confirmed there is no scheduled date available for this at the moment and they will be unable to offer an indication of when it could be however feel free to check back with us in a couple of months and hopefully we have more information for you then.

Thanks

Ash

TOny,

IS that wired into the router or via wifi?
    I think it's AlanS you want! I'd imagine it's via ethernet, though.

Praetorian wrote: »
    Great news Arctan! Is it the actual physical green cab inside the exchange? Or is it just the equipment from the cab on a rack? :)

At work I'm only about 120 m from the exchange so I'm looking forward to swapping hopefully my current lines a 18 x 2m/bit line & a 12 x 1m/bit line for hopefully 2 x 100 x 20m/bit lines :)

physical cabs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

eFibre went live in my area today but I was told I've to ring at 5pm tomorrow so as to make an order. Does anybody know how long (roughly) after that it'll be before I'm up and running?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

physical cabs

Really, INSIDE an exchange!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

eFibre went live in my area today but I was told I've to ring at 5pm tomorrow so as to make an order. Does anybody know how long (roughly) after that it'll be before I'm up and running?

Cheers.

My cab went live this morning. Ordered with Vodafone and have install appointment for next Tuesday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

My cab went live this morning. Ordered with Vodafone and have install appointment for next Tuesday morning.

Fantastic! Thanks a lot.

I think it's AlanS you want! I'd imagine it's via ethernet, though.

The speed test I posted was wired.

Over WiFi I get around 40-50Mb

degsie wrote: »
    Really, INSIDE an exchange!

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I didn't think they would put the full green cabs inside an exchange. The cabs are designed for outdoor use to protect from weather and physical knocks etc. Seems to me to it would make more sense to place the dslams in 19/23" racks as they would any other telecoms equipment.

it would make sense, but I'm not lying about the cabs in the exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Eircom is thinking about e-vdsl for exchanges in Dublin (and many more) Adamstown Castle, Adamstown Square, Adamstown Stratton Gr, Adamstown The Paddoc, Adelaide Road, Ballymount
    More information about e-vdsl http://www.hedindata.se/dokument/C-VC-231_s.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

it would make sense, but I'm not lying about the cabs in the exchange

They come ready wired, so why take them out of the box. They just plonk them on the road/plinth and then wire the connections.

Advertisement