Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

domeld wrote: »
    Eircom is thinking about e-vdsl for exchanges in Dublin (and many more) Adamstown Castle, Adamstown Square, Adamstown Stratton Gr, Adamstown The Paddoc, Adelaide Road, Ballymount
    More information about e-vdsl http://www.hedindata.se/dokument/C-VC-231_s.pdf

A little birdy told me they are already trialing it. 30-40m/bit average apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

So my family home will see no VDSL for the foreseeable future...

We'll be looking out for ESB in the future.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Praetorian wrote: »
    A little birdy told me they are already trialing it. 30-40m/bit average apparently!

What is the advantage of this over the eFibre VDSL cabinets?

30-40mb/s seems a bit low, when the specs say 50/2 mb/s at 1,400 meters (excellent performance at that distance BTW) and 86/65 mb/s at 300 meters!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I notice this morning they have pushed CLonakilty out from March to April to May to June and now to 'Autumn'. Strange Skibbereen was supposed to be after Clon and they are currently installing it there. Bandon is already live. The fibre has been here for years so why have they such an issue installing a couple of cabs. The only positive is in the meantime they might have the direct feed from the exchange issue sorted. In the meantime though I am putting up with NGB exchange getting congested every evening between 7pm and Midnight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Monasterevin now pushed out to July, it was march then april the may then june, FFS eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW Interesting presentation here on the issues with Exchange Only lines for BT:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/topics/interference/documents/kevinfoster.pdf

It seems EO lines cause very bad performance for VDSL. Kind of explains why Eircom have been slow to do VDSL in exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ClonNGB wrote: »
    I notice this morning they have pushed CLonakilty out from March to April to May to June and now to 'Autumn'. Strange Skibbereen was supposed to be after Clon and they are currently installing it there. Bandon is already live. The fibre has been here for years so why have they such an issue installing a couple of cabs. The only positive is in the meantime they might have the direct feed from the exchange issue sorted. In the meantime though I am putting up with NGB exchange getting congested every evening between 7pm and Midnight.

Bandon says its live but any number I check says its not live. There is also a few cabinets left to install.
    The Clon fibre route belongs to BT I thought and was solely for the business park in shannonvale. Even residents there get slow adsl

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ClonNGB wrote: »

Theyve proven that they dont by the sheer number of cabs already in. If one area is moving ahead and another isnt its likely there's a hold up like planning permission, civils or ESB power. Eircom cant make council planning offices stop being sh1t.
    Dcully wrote: »
    Monasterevin now pushed out to July, it was march then april the may then june, FFS eircom.

6 of 10 cabs started there, looks like they're under way at least. As above its not necessarily in their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

my two local cabs soon going live and placed order with vodafone today, gotta be better than the 1.5mb we get at present, waiting to see which cab I'm closest too now, one approx 600m the other about 1k away but to be honest, anything better that what we have is gonna be a vast improvement hoping for at least 15/20mb enough for some decent musis streaming for mum/dad and xbox live for my son and I'll be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ED E wrote: »
    Eircom cant make council planning offices stop being sh1t.

to be fair, due process is important. I know most cabinets are stuck in corners of footpaths but in my estate, the old cabinet is in the "ghost" part so they planked the new cabinet on the side of the green in an ugly sore thumb type of way. Now its great to have it but they could have planned it better and not stick out so much plus its a tad dangerous because you would run into it easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Hi FastFullBack

I have looked into this for you and although you are in an eFibre enabled area your home is not yet enabled as different address with the exchange areas are being upgraded at different times.

eFibre operations have confirmed there is no scheduled date available for this at the moment and they will be unable to offer an indication of when it could be however feel free to check back with us in a couple of months and hopefully we have more information for you then.

Thanks

Ash

I've been told to check back in a few months with the last year.
    Cabinet QKR1_065 was installed at the entrance to my estate last August. Surely someone in eircom has some idea when it will go live?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭MANSFIELD

I've been told to check back in a few months with the last year.
    Cabinet QKR1_065 was installed at the entrance to my estate last August. Surely someone in eircom has some idea when it will go live?

If eircom went any slower they would be at a standstill. Its brutal how long its taking to get the efibre available to all homes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

MANSFIELD wrote: »
    If eircom went any slower they would be at a standstill. Its brutal how long its taking to get the efibre available to all homes.

that's an understatement, it's gonna take them about the next 4-30 years to fully cover the majority of homes in each exchange beyond the urban areas. Up to 2016 they should cover main housing estates and some urban streets in planned/live exchanges.

I don't know what's more annoying, eircom's limited to urban area roll-out or the technology itself. At least when ADSL was rolled out most of an exchange area could benefit from the upgrade of 28.8k/56k up to 512k and beyond, but due to the nature of FTTC it's only available to small urban centre's within many large exchanges outside of Dublin where up to 3/4s of most exchange area localities will see no benefit....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Any chance of them running new lines out to grange ? :p

Edit

I seen the lads working at the cabinate outside woodview just the other day !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Article below
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/25879-eircom-fibre-rollout/

So we know they have started already in wexford and parts of south dublin.

Would anyone have a schedule of when the rollout and what towns are set to go live on dates.
    How exactly are they doing it setting up small cabinets outsides people estated where I presume fibre will go to from the main exchange. These cabinets will then provide the internet to the house over the existing copper is this correct.

No one knows... And I think so.. You might have to have a line upgrade first.. As for schedules even eircom can't tell people anything... I'm in a fibre area even the hill across from me can get fibre broadband but my exchange can't.. And they can't tell me a thing about it.. It's like some massive secret.. The only crowd who know are eircom wholesale (supposedly) and they can't be contacted... You can email them but the won't respond to you... So the long and the short of it is, until eircom post you a letter to say you're ready to be upgraded, you get to know..... Nothing. And that's right.. Post a letter... Supply them with an email... They'll post a letter...

MANSFIELD & Gonzo

You both couldn't be more wrong. On the whole this is one of the fastest and most impressive network rollouts I've ever seen in the telco market anywhere in the world in years.

In just one year they now pass 700,000 homes and will reach 1.4 million homes in just 3 years. That is astonishingly fast and very different to the bad old days of the old Eircom.

Also Gonzo, this technology is also well suited to small towns and villages and it has already been deployed and will continue to be deployed to such towns and villages. It is far from just an urban rollout. I've actually been impressed by some of the very rural places they have already rolled it out too.

I'm usually the first person to criticise Eircom, but with regards to the VDSL rollout, I have to say they are doing a fantastic job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

bk wrote: »
    MANSFIELD & Gonzo

You both couldn't be more wrong. On the whole this is one of the fastest and most impressive network rollouts I've ever seen in the telco market anywhere in the world in years.

In just one year they now pass 700,000 homes and will reach 1.4 million homes in just 3 years. That is astonishingly fast and very different to the bad old days of the old Eircom.

Also Gonzo, this technology is also well suited to small towns and villages and it has already been deployed and will continue to be deployed to such towns and villages. It is far from just an urban rollout. I've actually been impressed by some of the very rural places they have already rolled it out too.

I'm usually the first person to criticise Eircom, but with regards to the VDSL rollout, I have to say they are doing a fantastic job.

Putting VDSL out in rural areas is a massive step forward for the company that didn't give a rats arse about customers back in the day when they were the best you got... They're eMobile discounts to current customers of eircom home phone or broadband old or new shows something.. Even Vodafone wouldn't give you a billpay discount if you took their home phone or broadband package.. Even handing a free mobile to anyone who signs up to eMobile and eircom broadband is something... Let's hope they'll keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Gonzo wrote: »
    that's an understatement, it's gonna take them about the next 4-30 years to fully cover the majority of homes in each exchange beyond the urban areas. Up to 2016 they should cover main housing estates and some urban streets in planned/live exchanges.

I don't know what's more annoying, eircom's limited to urban area roll-out or the technology itself. At least when ADSL was rolled out most of an exchange area could benefit from the upgrade of 28.8k/56k up to 512k and beyond, but due to the nature of FTTC it's only available to small urban centre's within many large exchanges outside of Dublin where up to 3/4s of most exchange area localities will see no benefit....
    What would you propose they do?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

ED E wrote: »
    6 of 10 cabs started there, looks like they're under way at least. As above its not necessarily in their hands.

Thanks for that, just wondering how you know this? unless ofcourse you have seen and counted them :)
    Ive seen atleast 3 being worked on the last week or two,one about 150m from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

murphaph wrote: »
    What would you propose they do?

FTTH specifically for them

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, just wondering how you know this? unless ofcourse you have seen and counted them :)

You are lucky I live out of town a bit everyone around me has broadband except me because they decided to split my line with the neighbours just before I was going to order in broadband and now they wont run a cable out to me ! Stuck in a rut with eircom as far as I see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

fergus1001 wrote: »
    You are lucky I live out of town a bit everyone around me has broadband except me because they decided to split my line with the neighbours just before I was going to order in broadband and now they wont run a cable out to me ! Stuck in a rut with eircom as far as I see

Know your pain... I was the same for 5 years until it seems they strung another cable up on the poles due to the number of new houses at the time. I was then able to order another phone line and 'managed' to get a copper pair to myself - although they couldn't promise that at the time.

The father in law next door didn't even have to do that. He just spoke to the Eircom engineer one day about his split line and asked if anything could be done. He managed to order DSL within the same week.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its on their website ;)

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/#nga-map

MBSnr wrote: »
    Know your pain... I was the same for 5 years until it seems they strung another cable up on the poles due to the number of new houses at the time. I was then able to order another phone line and 'managed' to get a copper pair to myself - although they couldn't promise that at the time.

The father in law next door didn't even have to do that. He just spoke to the Eircom engineer one day about his split line and asked if anything could be done. He managed to order DSL within the same week.... :)

How would I get in contact with an engineer I got one out before but I had to falsely claim the phone line was crackling I don't know how to bypass the appalling customer service and I'm in a worse position since I'm currently with vodafone

arctan wrote: »
    FTTH specifically for them

And who do you expect to pay the €10,000* bill for installing FTTH to them?

* FTTH in rural areas

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

* FTTH in rural areas
    Let people who want it pay for it.

It doesn't even have to be ffth, I'd say there are a good few who would pay just to be connected to vdsl.

Whilst not a solution for networking the whole country, it would at least give an option to those that want/need a service badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

* FTTH in rural areas

them if they want it so much

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

See Blackrock and castlebellingham in county louth pushed back another month . Gone out to July now :( Just as it appears to be getting close back it goes again :( lost count now how many times its pushed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

fergus1001 wrote: »
    How would I get in contact with an engineer I got one out before but I had to falsely claim the phone line was crackling I don't know how to bypass the appalling customer service and I'm in a worse position since I'm currently with vodafone

Bit of luck played a part. Engineer was up the pole outside the father in laws place and he happened to notice, got talking and asked him what the story was about DSL and split lines. Eircom fella said he'd see what he could do. Fair play to him, seems he followed through on it and moved his or the other line off the split pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

Anybody here have any idea about the costs involved for a dedicated fibre line, i am looking at a house approx 2k from the nearest cab. With the value of the house i would be prepared for a dedicated line if eircom do this option.

Advertisement