Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Young adults living in Ireland have no need of a home phone. This is why UPC is leading the game compared to Eircom.

To get fixed DSL with Eircom you have to have a working phone line and phone. This is Eircoms bread and butter, folks

They will only rollout fibre in a limited way. Eircom, would lose money if they rolled out fibre to rural areas.

However not for the reasons Eircom has claimed. The reason is if you upgrade to fibre in rural areas. Some if not the majority of Eircom customers will no longer be paying their line rental.

Eircom business is dependent on businesses, rural people, mainly older generation folks buying their products.

Eircom can still take business from UPC with comes to business premises in urban areas ( landline phone connectivity)

But UPC is winning with younger adults in urban areas. They don't need a phone to get fibre. This why Eircom is so slow upgrading. They are about profits not want is good for the customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

Hi

Anyone seen any progress in either Dun Laoghaire or Rochestown Exchange areas?

I've seen one KN comms van in Dalkey put one new box (it's on the roundabout/squareabout as you come into Dalkey) but I see no other activity.

Really impatient to get an improvement, but totally in the dark as to when it will happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Eircom business is dependent on businesses, rural people, mainly older generation folks buying their products.

Around 30% of Residential Phone lines are paid for by the taxpayer and perhaps as many as 1 in 3. These line rentals are covered under pensions, carers allowances and invalidity.

eircom announced in February that their 'fibre' program would reach 100k premises (serviceable) by the end of the summer. By my estimate it is around 15k right now. Way behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

why I am not surprised!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭irishgeo

spotted a green cabinet thats near my estate , any pointers i should be looking for to see if if going to get fiber to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jackaroo2012

I like having a landline I think its because we always had one when I lived with my parents even if the only people who ring me are lads from India who want to 'fix my computer' oh and eircom who try and get me to move from vodafone and vodafone who want to try and get me to sign up for another contract even thou I am on their best broadband bundle.

When I asked about fibre there was a stoney silence. They said they would ring me back in three months I suppose we can catch up then and sure I can find out what the indian lads are up to too and what the weather was like over the summer. In fact the next time they ring me I think I am going to see how long I can talk to them about the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Just seen KN networks over in glanmire pulling cable through. They had a green roll of cable (looked like fibre) up at that small exchange thats up the hill by the school, and others lads were further down the road pulling it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

syboit wrote: »
    Just seen KN networks over in glanmire pulling cable through. They had a green roll of cable (looked like fibre) up at that small exchange thats up the hill by the school, and others lads were further down the road pulling it through.
    Is there any competing broadband service in Glanmire (eg cable)? I wonder if Eircom are prioritising non-UPC areas where they have a chance of competing?

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jmcc wrote: »
    syboit wrote: »
    Is there any competing broadband service in Glanmire (eg cable)? I wonder if Eircom are prioritising non-UPC areas where they have a chance of competing?

Regards...jmcc
    I've seen KN networks doing work all over Sligo and UPC are everywhere here so if they were prioritising non UPC areas, they'd be nowhere near here.

• Advertisement

KN does work for UPC as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Interesting - it might not even be Eircom then. The way it seems at the moment, Eircom has to choose its markets very carefully as it hasn't the money to screw up.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Lads pulling cables around Newpark in Kilkenny City. They confirmed it was fiber for Eircom. We have UPC in the estate though.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Around 30% of Residential Phone lines are paid for by the taxpayer and perhaps as many as 1 in 3. These line rentals are covered under pensions, carers allowances and invalidity.

eircom announced in February that their 'fibre' program would reach 100k premises (serviceable) by the end of the summer. By my estimate it is around 15k right now. Way behind.

My father is a pensioner still think he pays some line rental not sure. Thing it was just a deduction in the bill he got when he turned 70.

Well 1 and half million people live in Dublin. Our population is probably only 4 million with emigration. So Eircom likely isn't going to invest much further than city areas that have industrial estates.

Line rental, VAT at 21%, and other little charges is a money spinner for Eircom. They know this even though they have squandered millions of their profits on waste and bad investments. Why would Eircom, even bother upgrading to fibre in rural areas.

If there making so much money from DSL (THATS THE ISSUE)

padraig.od wrote: »
    Lads pulling cables around Newpark in Kilkenny City. They confirmed it was fiber for Eircom. We have UPC in the estate though.

I honestly don't understand this at all. They charge more than UPC the bill would he higher for the customer changing to Eircom. Why is Eircom doing this in a area already serviced by UPC. This just seems like a why waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

I see that most existing cabinets will have a new fibre cab beside it which means that people connected to this will have a choice of
    whatever is going ...either staying on copper or moving up the world.
    But in a lot of places cabinets only make up about 60 % of connections with the rest been direct feeds.
    Will these direct feeds end up been cabinised...i think so because alot of older exchanges have a majority of direct customers so these will have to be catered for as well

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

Here in Ballincollig Eircom works fast. In the last weeks they installed VDSL cabinets next to almost all the existing Eircom cabs and lying down the fibre quickly. Hopefully they will start the service soon, I am close to two VDSL cabs. :)

Actually, do you know how could I find out which one I am connected to? There is one 50 meters away from my housing estate entrance, but on the other side of the road, and there is one 300 meters away this side of the road. I hope I am connected to the closer one, but I am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

chriss745 wrote: »
    Here in Ballincollig Eircom works fast. In the last weeks they installed VDSL cabinets next to almost all the existing Eircom cabs and lying down the fibre quickly. Hopefully they will start the service soon, I am close to two VDSL cabs. :)

Actually, do you know how could I find out which one I am connected to? There is one 50 meters away from my housing estate entrance, but on the other side of the road, and there is one 300 meters away this side of the road. I hope I am connected to the closer one, but I am not sure.

Don't get too excited, Cabs where installed in Letterkenny in May/June yet there is still no sign of any service so you could be waiting a few months yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

iMuse wrote: »
    Don't get too excited, Cabs where installed in Letterkenny in May/June yet there is still no sign of any service so you could be waiting a few months yet.

I suspect they'll do a lot of the work and then do a "big bang" launch sometime around December. Then maybe stop and see what the takeup is like

bealtine wrote: »
    I suspect they'll do a lot of the work and then do a "big bang" launch sometime around December.
    Looking more like a gentle fart in the bath than a big bang.

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_Announces_Over_100M_Investment_in_Phase_1_of_Planned_Fibre_Rollout/

July 2011!
    The company intends to serve 100,000 premises by summer 2012 in Phase 1

Fail.
    eircom to Launch IPTV Services from Mid 2012
    Separately, eircom intends to launch a range of entertainment services over fibre including television via a customer’s broadband connection (IPTV), video on demand, catch up TV and social media via TV.

Fail. Fail. Fail. and Fail.

So I suppose you are right, Phases 1 and 2 will launch about the same time. There are exchanges in Galway City in both phases and I for one have seen nothing appear yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Indeed...and it's a striking image:)

What I meant was that it would all happen at the same time with a lot of hoopla and recycled press releases. As far as I can see some areas are being "done" and just left until some sort of an announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_Announces_Over_100M_Investment_in_Phase_1_of_Planned_Fibre_Rollout/

July 2011!

Fail.

Fail. Fail. Fail. and Fail.

So I suppose you are right, Phases 1 and 2 will launch about the same time. There are exchanges in Galway City in both phases and I for one have seen nothing appear yet.

So what your saying is Eircom = Fail? :)

I think they totally underestimated how much work was involved in the rollout and just forgot about putting systems in place to sell the new products and make them available to their partners!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Contrarian

eircom Announces Locations for Phase III Fibre Rollout

Today we announced the locations for Phase III of our fibre rollout plan as part of our overall commitment to deliver fibre based broadband to one million premises over the next four years.
    Phase III includes thirteen communities in eight counties across the country, passing an additional 125,000 homes and businesses. Work is expected to commence this winter with the aim to complete the construction phase by Easter 2013. The communities include:

Churchfield (Cork City); Waterford City; Kilkenny City; Sligo Town; Mullingar, (Co Westmeath); Tralee (Co. Kerry); Westport (Co Mayo); Crown Alley, Dolphin’s Barn, Nutley and Beggars Bush, Coolock (Dublin City); Balbriggan, (Co Dublin).

We are actively working on phase three of our planned network investment. The first phase is now complete reaching 100,000 homes and we have already commenced work on Phase II locations. We will continue to build this network to ensure that as many premises as possible will be able to avail of the new services provided by various operators when the network is launched.
    Today’s announcement brings to 40 the number of locations announced to date. Approximately 350,000 premises will be able to avail of new services of 40Mbps and beyond when the network launches next year.

Please find below additional information on our exchanges and key dates.

Ennis
    Clare
    December 2012

Douglas
    Cork
    Complete

Quaker Road
    Cork
    December 2012

Ballincollig
    Cork
    December 2012

Churchfield
    Cork
    Easter 2013

Letterkenny
    Donegal
    Complete

Sandyford Village
    Dublin
    Live (Pilot)

Dundrum
    Dublin
    Live (Pilot)

Priory Park
    Dublin
    Live (Pilot)

Tallaght
    Dublin
    Complete

Ballyboden
    Dublin
    Complete

Palmerstown
    Dublin
    Complete

Swords
    Dublin
    Complete

Donabate
    Dublin
    Complete

Belcamp
    Dublin
    December 2012

Dun Laoghaire
    Dublin
    December 2012

Ballbriggan
    Dublin
    Easter 2013

Beggars Bush
    Dublin
    Easter 2013

Coolock
    Dublin
    Easter 2013

Crown Alley
    Dublin
    Easter 2013

Dolphins Barn
    Dublin
    Easter 2013

Nutley
    Dublin
    Easter 2013

Rochestown
    Dublin
    December 2012

Mervue
    Galway
    Complete

Shantalla
    Galway
    December 2012

Tralee
    Kerry
    Easter 2013

Kilkenny
    Kilkenny
    Easter 2013

Drogheda
    Louth
    December 2012

Dooradoyle
    Limerick
    Complete

Limerick
    Limerick
    December 2012

Ballina
    Mayo
    December 2012

Castlebar
    Mayo
    December 2012

Westport
    Mayo
    Easter 2013

Clonee
    Meath
    Complete

Rathedmond
    Sligo
    December 2012

Sligo
    Sligo
    Easter 2013

Waterford
    Waterford
    Easter 2013

Mullingar
    Westmeath
    Easter 2013

Wexford
    Wexford
    Live (Pilot)

Bray
    Wicklow
    December 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Eircoms top 67 Exchanges serve over 1m lines between them and have 10,000 lines each. Minimum.

If your exchange is not on this list then you may consider an upgrade is somewhat unlikely to say the least.

TLH Tallaght
    CRA Crown Alley
    BDT Blanchardstown
    DBN Dolphins Barn
    BBH Beggars Bush
    NMN North Main
    MER Merrion
    BLP Belcamp
    PRP Priory Park
    BLB Ballyboden
    DLA Dunlaoghaire
    SRD Swords
    WAL Walkinstown
    LMK Roches Street
    QKR Quaker Road
    FNG Finglas
    MVW Mervue
    DBC Drogheda
    RMS Rathmines
    PAL Palmerstown
    DDK Dundalk
    TRE Terenure
    DDM Dundrum
    KNY Kilkenny
    SAN Santry
    WTD Waterford Central
    BRI Bray
    NUT Nutley
    ENS Ennis
    CHF Churchfield
    CAB Cabra
    CRW Carlow
    SRL Summerhill
    WHI Whitehall
    NAS Naas
    ROC Rochestown
    LKY Letterkenny
    TWV Tralee
    MGR Mullingar
    SLA Shantalla
    WRD Wellington Road
    DGS Douglas
    CKC Cork Central
    AUV Navan
    STN Sutton
    DNU Droichead Nua ( Newbridge)
    DYX Dennehys Cross
    CLK Coolock
    CLM Clonmel
    LKD Dooradoyle
    CRL Crumlin
    CBR Castlebar
    CLT Clontarf
    CLD Nangor Road
    BNC Ballincollig
    LCN Lucan Ballydowd
    SKL Shankill
    PHB Phibsboro
    BRN Balbriggan
    CHD Caherdavin
    PGS Portlaoise
    TYC Tycor
    SHP Ship Street
    GAL Galway
    KLN Killarney
    SNH Sandyford Aeh

Most of the exchanges announced are on this list. I note Westport snuck in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

So the service isnt launching until 2013 despite nearly all of phase one being complete. Thats an absolute joke.

What was the actual point in phasing the project if they are all going to be launching around the same time?

Westport would just about be a top 100 exchange by customers...to give an idea what they are at.

While the top exchanges have an average of nearly 16k lines each and a minimum 10k lines the next 50 largest exchanges have between 5k and 10k lines. Indications are that eircom will do the 120 largest exchanges they have (out of 1200) and perhaps another 30-50 Adsl cabs that generally serve a business park only as these are dotted about the land.

Nothing for the other 1000 exchanges I fear. Around 300 of the remaining 1000 have adsl2 and perhaps 500 more have adsl1 while the remainder have nowt

well well, some news at last, but I am still unsure of which cabinet I am looking for, is it grey? or green? will it be right next to an existing cabinet? I thought they would use the existing ducts to bring the fibre? why a distinct stand alone cabinet, why not just use a slightly bigger one for all?/

gbc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

What a joke, Letterkenny is complete yet they won't launch the service. This time next year I will still be stuck on my 3mb connection as Snailcom still won't have launched the service. Atleast I can look forward to "Study Hub" :rolleyes: Are they not embarrassed stating people can look forward to speeds up to 40mbps when UPC offer 50mbps as standard lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm delighted my exchange is on phase 3.

But

"when the network launches next year"

This is a complete joke. Eircom have been misleading everyone on this since Phase 1 was announced.

Advertisement