Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Friend of mine works for Eircom. He was telling me that they only need to upgrade 41% of the exchanges in the area to be able to mark it as green and make their targets for roll out

Which is why the estate in front of my apartment and behind my apartment can get fiber but ourselves and the estate on our right cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Friend of mine works for Eircom. He was telling me that they only need to upgrade 41% of the exchanges in the area to be able to mark it as green and make their targets for roll out

Which is why the estate in front of my apartment and behind my apartment can get fiber but ourselves and the estate on our right cannot.

Cabinets not exchanges. Generally the county is divided up into exchange areas, each area has a single exchange in it and has multiple cabinets that connect back to the exchange.

Supposedly 40% of the cabs in an area have to be live for the area to be marked live. However in mine only 1 out of 5 in the area was live/installed and the area was marked as green/efibre enabled. So I don't know how accurate the 40% thing is.

It also doesn't mean a whole lot anyway. Even if all the cabs in an area are live it doesn't mean that even half the people in the area will be able to get the Efibre service.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Cabinets not exchanges. Generally the county is divided up into exchange areas, each area has a single exchange in it and has multiple cabinets that connect back to the exchange.

Supposedly 40% of the cabs in an area have to be live for the area to be marked live. However in mine only 1 out of 5 in the area was live/installed and the area was marked as green/efibre enabled. So I don't know how accurate the 40% thing is.

It also doesn't mean a whole lot anyway. Even if all the cabs in an area are live it doesn't mean that even half the people in the area will be able to get the Efibre service, e.g. 80-90% of the exchange area that I'm in is at too great a distance to be serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Spotted KN pulling in sub-duct in Kilreekill, Co. Galway today.
    I don't recall seeing it on any rollout list or map.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I remember last year Eircom had to wait 30 days after the cabinet was bilut before they can commission it. This was to make sure the other operators get their **** together. Does this still apply to today?
    Will apply for as long as Comreg say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Will apply for as long as Comreg say.

Are they still forbidding KN Networks from working on Saturdays snd overtime in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Are they still forbidding KN Networks from working on Saturdays snd overtime in general?

I've seen KN crews working Saturdays several times. Who said Comreg were blocking them?

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I've seen KN crews working Saturdays several times. Who said Comreg were blocking them?

I dug up this quote from 10belowzero.
    All right - Comreg have imposed a 3 month moratorium on NGA E Fibre install's on Eircom - Which Will not allow Eircom to do E Fibre NGA install's outside normal business hour's including weekend's.
    This decision will be reviewed mid August.

I wonder if it was lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I dug up this quote from 10belowzero.

I wonder if it was lifted.

That is the installations in the customer's home. Not the "deployment" of cabinets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

kaizersoze wrote: »

KN have the service order contract for eircom, along with some of the maintainence, along with NGA cab deployment contracts... They could be doing any of that on a Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

No use to me when they won't remove me from a pair gain they are a joke

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

red_bairn wrote: »
    That is the installations in the customer's home. Not the "deployment" of cabinets.
    WTF ???

How is that supposed to help the customer ?

That is more or less insisting that people loose a days wages by having to take time off work to wait for an engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

WTF ???

How is that supposed to help the customer ?

That is more or less insisting that people loose a days wages by having to take time off work to wait for an engineer.

A very important point. In any well managed Continental country, the utility (eg phone, cable TV, fibre supplier, water, electricity etc) make an appointment for a specific time - eg 14h00. In Ireland an "appointment" for a utility is for anytime they like in the morning or afternoon.

If the utility monopolists did agree an appointment time, I suspect that most people wouldn't be worried if they were 5 min early or 10 min late. But there is no excuse for requiring someone to wait for an entire morning / afternoon / day, simply because the supplier has a monopoly blessed by a corrupt public service non-system. Voted in by morons who are not quality conscious (I am not being party political). If your TD was made abundantly aware that you wanted fast broadband with fast page fills, clean water from the tap, and a mobile phone data and voice connection that worked well all over the place, you would get it. Else democracy is a fraud.

Good service is perfectly possible in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,022 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Impetus wrote: »
    A very important point. In any well managed Continental country, the utility (eg phone, cable TV, fibre supplier, water, electricity etc) make an appointment for a specific time - eg 14h00. In Ireland an "appointment" for a utility is for anytime they like in the morning or afternoon.

If the utility monopolists did agree an appointment time, I suspect that most people wouldn't be worried if they were 5 min early or 10 min late. But there is no excuse for requiring someone to wait for an entire morning / afternoon / day, simply because the supplier has a monopoly blessed by a corrupt public service non-system. Voted in by morons who are not quality conscious (I am not being party political). If your TD was made abundantly aware that you wanted fast broadband with fast page fills, clean water from the tap, and a mobile phone data and voice connection that worked well all over the place, you would get it. Else democracy is a fraud.

Good service is perfectly possible in 2014.

You based your whole rant on a misunderstading of what the other poster wants. They want someone to work on Saturday when they don't have to work themselves so that they can have fibre installed without them having to take time off work. Fair enough but not very practical. If everyone in the country who works Monday to Friday had to be facilitated with a Saturday installation the whole fibre rollout would take much longer.

My installation was done on a Tuesday if memory serves and the time window was 2 to 4 pm. The engineer phoned to say he would be a bit late, arrived about 4.30. He said that all his earlier installations were "non-standard" and when he was with me he phoned a colleague to come from Drogheda to cover the other ones he wasn't going to make in time.

I will refrain from putting you into the moron class but you seem to have no compuction yourself from issuing sweeping condemnations of all and sundry based on nothing at all. And I will exclude Germany from the list of well managed Continental countries based on this, even if it is from 2008.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t112387-15.html

waiting around for hours for some flake is not a very good option for me.
    Get use to it, because it is normal in Germany for many things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

You based your whole rant on a misunderstading of what the other poster wants. They want someone to work on Saturday when they don't have to work themselves so that they can have fibre installed without them having to take time off work. Fair enough but not very practical. If everyone in the country who works Monday to Friday had to be facilitated with a Saturday installation the whole fibre rollout would take much longer.

My installation was done on a Tuesday if memory serves and the time window was 2 to 4 pm. The engineer phoned to say he would be a bit late, arrived about 4.30. He said that all his earlier installations were "non-standard" and when he was with me he phoned a colleague to come from Drogheda to cover the other ones he wasn't going to make in time.

I will refrain from putting you into the moron class but you seem to have no compuction yourself from issuing sweeping condemnations of all and sundry based on nothing at all. And I will exclude Germany from the list of well managed Continental countries based on this, even if it is from 2008.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t112387-15.html

No I said that there should be an appointment time. Not a "window". Most ISPs/cable cos/phone cos on the Continent answer their phones 24/24h 365 and can provide support in a variety of languages - press 3 for English etc at any time. And the guy at the other end has access to Windows English or whatever language you need to talk through the issues. And work is done to appointment rather than a half day "window".

Most people who work Mo-Fr can take an hour or two off for an appointment. It is far easier than a day or half day off for a window arrangement.

Perhaps you are paid by an Irish utility monopolist? Because I find it difficult to believe that anyone in consumerland on the planet does not want good service, 24/24h 365, by appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,022 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Impetus wrote: »
    No I said that there should be an appointment time. Not a "window". Most ISPs/cable cos/phone cos on the Continent answer their phones 24/24h 365 and can provide support in a variety of languages - press 3 for English etc at any time. And the guy at the other end has access to Windows English or whatever language you need to talk through the issues. And work is done to appointment rather than a half day "window".

Most people who work Mo-Fr can take an hour or two off for an appointment. It is far easier than a day or half day off for a window arrangement.

Perhaps you are paid by an Irish utility monopolist? Because I find it difficult to believe that anyone in consumerland on the planet does not want good service, 24/24h 365, by appointment.

Where are you getting this stuff about how things are done on the "Continent"? You did not address the proof which I provided that the exact opposite pertains in Germany to the perfect world you think exists. I simply do not believe that utilities engineers anywhere turn up at an exact agreed time, or even 5 or 10 minutes late which you allowed would be acceptable. Germany is not that much different now than 2008 afaik and human nature is the same the world over, some good workers, some not so good.

Anyway what advantage would having an exact time gain for a typical commuter who has to travel to work, say from Dundalk to Dublin if their house is empty during the day? Effectively they would still have to take a full day off. If they have someone else at home it is not an issue.

The "Continent" is a meaningless appelation. If you want to provide proof of your imaginary perfect world out there please specify what countries you mean. And Germany is out.

If there was wide ranging failure by Eircom/KN to stick to agreed schedules we would have heard about it after the thousands of installations which have been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

While I do not wish to breach regs and attack the poster Impetus has shown several times previously that he has a hard on for mainland europe and can only see perfect scenario vs ireland, never any realism. This debate wont go anywhere, dont engage him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I had to wait several weeks for Deutsche Telekom to show up (3 missed appointments without so much as an apology-I had to to all the chasing) to connect a line in a place.

Having said that, when I switched that line from ADSL to VDSL (and in doing so moved from Telekom to 1&1) it was done as agreed. I didn't actually need to be there for that though as VDSL installs here don't require a visit to the customer premises, just to the DSLAM, but that is a Telekom employee that does that.

I was actually quite surprised that the move to VDSL was completely painless.

KN have laid down a plinth behind my local copper cabinet.

Does anyone know what the next process is and how long it would take for it to be finished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Where are you getting this stuff about how things are done on the "Continent"? You did not address the proof which I provided that the exact opposite pertains in Germany to the perfect world you think exists. I simply do not believe that utilities engineers anywhere turn up at an exact agreed time, or even 5 or 10 minutes late which you allowed would be acceptable. Germany is not that much different now than 2008 afaik and human nature is the same the world over, some good workers, some not so good.

Anyway what advantage would having an exact time gain for a typical commuter who has to travel to work, say from Dundalk to Dublin if their house is empty during the day? Effectively they would still have to take a full day off. If they have someone else at home it is not an issue.

The "Continent" is a meaningless appelation. If you want to provide proof of your imaginary perfect world out there please specify what countries you mean. And Germany is out.

If there was wide ranging failure by Eircom/KN to stick to agreed schedules we would have heard about it after the thousands of installations which have been done.

I've had French installers turn up on the wrong day, not turn up at all, ring and cancel and then actually install the wrong product entirely!

Also, you won't get tech support outside certain hours depending on your ISP and if you want tech support in English, they'd probably suggest you provide a translator.

In Spain, I couldn't get any tech support whatsoever from Telefonica in anything other than Spanish or Basque. They provided very little assistance online and were very awkward to deal with at almost all times.

I couldn't even pay a bill from Ireland as they wouldn't accept non Spanish cards or provide me with information for paying by bank transfer.

Belgacom also left me waiting 3 days in Belgium and kept not showing up.

Don't get me started about my experience getting Comcast to install something in the US!

Grass isn't always greener. Actually found eircom quite efficient when it came to my VDSL2 installation. They turned up on the appointed day, rang in advance to make sure I was in, got on with the job and left me with a 100% working service which they'd tested.

Whole installation was also done very neat and tidily and they did all the remote configuration on an iPad app!. Can't really fault them at all.

With almost any telco I've ever dealt with, they have the ability to mess up schedules and not show though. I've basically experienced it pretty much everywhere I've ever lived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

KN have laid down a plinth behind my local copper cabinet.

Does anyone know what the next process is and how long it would take for it to be finished?

Cab will be delivered and fixed in place, then ESB will install electricity supply and meter, then the comms guys will connect the cab to the network and commission it. The nearest cabinet to me was delivered about 6 weeks ago, my understanding is that it'll go live on 6th of June but I have no official word on that. I know other areas close by seem to have started works before here and now seem to be delayed behind us so I don't think there is any hard and fast rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

So I got this email from Eircom yesterday....

"Dear Customer
    You recently expressed an interest in switching to eFibre. We are delighted to let you know that eFibre, superfast fibre broadband is now available in your area. With eFibre, you and your family will have the power to connect, learn and play online, all at the same time, at superfast speeds.
    So why not switch today?
    You will soon enjoy the benefits of superfast fibre broadband – your home is about to change forever."

Then 5 minutes later, I got this email from them.....aaaaaagggghhhh!!!

"Dear Customer,

You recently received an email from us informing you that you could receive eFibre.
    Unfortunately this email was sent in error and your home has not yet been enabled for eFibre.
    As soon as your home can receive eFibre, we will contact you as requested by email.
    We apologise for any inconvenience caused. "

Oh thats torture. Reminds me of the time dropbox gave me 80GB and took 79GB back the next day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

nilhg wrote: »
    Cab will be delivered and fixed in place, then ESB will install electricity supply and meter, then the comms guys will connect the cab to the network and commission it. The nearest cabinet to me was delivered about 6 weeks ago, my understanding is that it'll go live on 6th of June but I have no official word on that. I know other areas close by seem to have started works before here and now seem to be delayed behind us so I don't think there is any hard and fast rule.

My area goes live tomorrow however all cabinets but mine have yellow stickers on the front which means they are live and mine does not.

It was installed about 3 months ago now, how long do you know does it take for them to go live?

My area goes live tomorrow however all cabinets but mine have yellow stickers on the front which means they are live and mine does not.

It was installed about 3 months ago now, how long do you know does it take for them to go live?

There's no fixed time. If the rest have been commissioned and yours hasnt there may be a hiccup with yours thats delaying it, or it may not be energized yet.

Nobody other than a local eircom engineer could tell you when though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

My cabinet is live since last December and never got a yellow sticker. All cabinets are live in my area, some have yellow stickers, more don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

jca wrote: »
    My cabinet is live since last December and never got a yellow sticker. All cabinets are live in my area, some have yellow stickers, more don't.

The sticker thing is not really a reliable indicator - the one on the cab beside my house only lasted about a week before the local kids had removed it so anyone looking now might think the cabinet wasn't up and running - but oh yes, it is :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭draken

Oh, so apparently I am in an area that will get eFibre. But I am rural - is this going to be another time that rural customers get screwed over while people 2km away get the full package? (It may be "rural" in that I dont live in the centre of a town but I dont live in the middle of nowhere either yet have to suffer 0.4mbps connection).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

draken wrote: »
    Oh, so apparently I am in an area that will get eFibre. But I am rural - is this going to be another time that rural customers get screwed over while people 2km away get the full package? (It may be "rural" in that I dont live in the centre of a town but I dont live in the middle of nowhere either yet have to suffer 0.4mbps connection).

It will be dependent on your distance from the cab.

Some people in rural Ireland will get lucky and be close to a cab. Otherwise won't be close to a cab and thus won't benefit from it. Max distance you can be from the cab is 2km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Mine went live on the 30th April. Installed since the 6th and still no sticker on it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Advertisement