Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭draken

bk wrote: »
    It will be dependent on your distance from the cab.

Some people in rural Ireland will get lucky and be close to a cab. Otherwise won't be close to a cab and thus won't benefit from it. Max distance you can be from the cab is 2km

I am obviously hoping to get lucky here. :)

Is there somewhere I can check the locations of the nearest cabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

draken wrote: »
    I am obviously hoping to get lucky here. :)

Is there somewhere I can check the locations of the nearest cabs?

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/#nga-map

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

KN have laid down a plinth behind my local copper cabinet.

Does anyone know what the next process is and how long it would take for it to be finished?
    nilhg wrote: »
    Cab will be delivered and fixed in place, then ESB will install electricity supply and meter, then the comms guys will connect the cab to the network and commission it. The nearest cabinet to me was delivered about 6 weeks ago, my understanding is that it'll go live on 6th of June but I have no official word on that. I know other areas close by seem to have started works before here and now seem to be delayed behind us so I don't think there is any hard and fast rule.

They delivered the cabinet today and are installing it has I type this.

A few days ago I went up to the cabinet and noticed a little, silver box beside it. Is that the electricity supply?

One of these notorious lil buggers?

image.jpg
    Eircom ordered to remove mini ‘hazardous’ structures
    Company installed more than 180 micro pillars without permission

“The micro pillars were constructed by Eircom’s contractors over the last few months and they are located at various sites across Dublin. These pillars are used to connect our fibre cabinets with the ESB network.”

ED E wrote: »
    One of these notorious lil buggers?

image.jpg

Yeah, that looks like it, except about three-quarters of the box is buried underground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Ppl were walking into those things as many were placed in the middle of footpaths. Stupid buggers!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

draken wrote: »
    Oh, so apparently I am in an area that will get eFibre. But I am rural - is this going to be another time that rural customers get screwed over while people 2km away get the full package? (It may be "rural" in that I dont live in the centre of a town but I dont live in the middle of nowhere either yet have to suffer 0.4mbps connection).
    You & me too. My area is already mapped as being live for eFibre - as in being available up to 5km away from the nearest available cab. I'm 2.2km from that particular cab, Vodafone site says I can get 70Mb, Eircom engineers say lucky to have .5Mb. Nothing's ever going to change, we're a 'rural' group of about 25-30 homes, 6km from the nearest exchange & as I said 2.2km from the nearest cab.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

You & me too. My area is already mapped as being live for eFibre - as in being available up to 5km away from the nearest available cab. I'm 2.2km from that particular cab, Vodafone site says I can get 70Mb, Eircom engineers say lucky to have .5Mb. Nothing's ever going to change, we're a 'rural' group of about 25-30 homes, 6km from the nearest exchange & as I said 2.2km from the nearest cab.

similar situation here, about 40/50 homes, just a bit nearer 1.9km from nearest cab which isn't live yet. Fibre works up to 2km away but only if your line is hooked up to a cabinet otherwise you are out of luck no matter how close or far away you are from a cabinet. Fibre speeds beyond 1.5km are not really anything to get excited about either unless your current Adsl1 broadband is less than 8meg. As it stands I currently get 8-8.5meg with ADSL2+, it could be alot worse I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Nothing's ever going to change
    :rolleyes:

Eircom are rolling out VDSL to 1.4 million premises and you say nothing is going to change?

Never mind UPC's network and the planned ESB/Vodafone JV.

Ireland's broadband is rapidly improving and overtaking many "bigger" countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I found this today. http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance

It's about BT in the UK, but is the only reference I've found in table form of distances over 2Km with VDSL. They list a possible theoretical speed of 8Mbps @ 3Km without vectoring. I understand vectoring could push this out a bit higher.

I am 2.5Km from an exchange that will go fibre enabled in 2015/16 and so I, like yourselves, would love Eircom to consider (if they aren't already) further distances over 2Km on direct fed exchanges (if the attenuation is not too high etc). Even me getting 7Mb/1Mb is a massive improvement over my 5Mb/384Kb....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    I found this today. http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance

It's about BT in the UK, but is the only reference I've found in table form of distances over 2Km with VDSL. They list a possible theoretical speed of 8Mbps @ 3Km without vectoring. I understand vectoring could push this out a bit higher.

I am 2.5Km from an exchange that will go fibre enabled in 2015/16 and so I, like yourselves, would love Eircom to consider (if they aren't already) further distances over 2Km on direct fed exchanges (if the attenuation is not too high etc). Even me getting 7Mb/1Mb is a massive improvement over my 5Mb/384Kb....

Jez how lucky you are now you mean , My dsl synced at 800/128 , Yes not even a meg , Got rid of it and have to use a mix of Meteor 4G and Three 3G to keep me going

galait wrote: »
    Jez how lucky you are now you mean , My dsl synced at 800/128 , Yes not even a meg , Got rid of it and have to use a mix of Meteor 4G and Three 3G to keep me going

True - it's all relative I suppose.... I look at someone with a faster speed and think 'how lucky you are now' as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

Was talking to an eircom rep in my local Tesco today and he told me they are "hoping" to have everything up and running in New Ross by Christmas.

Jesus wept, it was supposed to be switched on last November for Christ sake. I promptly told him where he could go with his Next Gen 8mb bb that he was trying to sell me :rolleyes:

Yeah, that looks like it, except about three-quarters of the box is buried underground.

Correction: about half of it is buried underground. Looks to be finished but the map still says: "Fibre Broadband Cabinet is planned for this location."

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

murphaph wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Eircom are rolling out VDSL to 1.4 million premises and you say nothing is going to change?

Never mind UPC's network and the planned ESB/Vodafone JV.

Ireland's broadband is rapidly improving and overtaking many "bigger" countries.

As far as I can recall the promise is to get rural villages on fibre, no mention of ribbon developments on individual 1/2 acre sites beyond these villages. Lines are all over the place & not often the most direct route to individual dwellings. They follow routes as houses were built at the time, zig-zagging all over the place. My phone line travels at least a Km more than if it followed the roadway to my house.
    3503260576.png
    Renders my internet TV useless:(

Ribbon developments won't see VDSL/eFibre for a very long time. One cabinet will only serve a handful of houses and it's just not worth the money it costs to build a cabinet for those areas. They are better off selling their houses and moving to a town.

Ribbon developments won't see VDSL/eFibre for a very long time. One cabinet will only serve a handful of houses and and it's just not worth the money it costs to build a cabinet for those areas. They are better off selling their houses and moving to a town.

Exactly.

They could fit ADSL2+ reach nodes in the same fashion as they're deploying VDSL cabs, but I dont know if it'd be worth it. One plus is that ADSL gear must be very cheap now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ribbon developments won't see VDSL/eFibre for a very long time. One cabinet will only serve a handful of houses and and it's just not worth the money it costs to build a cabinet for those areas. They are better off selling their houses and moving to a town.

That is such a ridiculous idea I find it hard to believe it was posted!

:eek: :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

If you think that's bad I am right in the centre of a fibre enabled area, an area that all but 10 houses at its centre cant even avail of fibre, checking eircoms availability tool and using addresses confirm this. We are surrounded by at least 3 cabinets, 1 of which is right next to a school (500~800 meters away, testing reveals up to 100mbps), the other at the opposite side, on a main road(approx. 100~200 meters, testing also reveals up to 100mbps) and the other approx. 1.5~2.0km away (testing reveals up to 50mbps) with areas within that 1.5~2.0km as they get closer to me the tool states "up to 70mb". why there are so many cabinets in this town eludes me.

These 10 houses are not on a separate exchange as everywhere else that can avail and order fibre. My line which is one of these is 12mb dsl 2+ enabled and ping response times for boards on average are 32ms, adverts pings on average are 34ms. There is nothing wrong with these lines.

Instead of checking the line, you can click "Don't have your phone number" in the bottom left and check addresses.

That is such a ridiculous idea I find it hard to believe it was posted!

:eek: :rolleyes:

What's ridiculous about it? Homes cost more in towns and cities because services are better.

If you want fast broadband, moving to a town/city is the only option. A broadband company or the Government shouldn't have to pay out of pocket to deliver broadband to a handful of houses because that would be "ridiculous".

Sometimes the truth is hard to swallow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What's ridiculous about it? Homes cost more in towns and cities because services are better.

If you want fast broadband, moving to a town/city is the only option. A broadband company or the Government shouldn't have to pay out of pocket to deliver broadband to a handful of houses because that would be "ridiculous".

Sometimes the truth is hard to swallow.

I see ........ so public services should be dependent on location ......

What is even more surprising is that you actually seem to believe what you posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Ribbon developments won't see VDSL/eFibre for a very long time. One cabinet will only serve a handful of houses and it's just not worth the money it costs to build a cabinet for those areas. They are better off selling their houses and moving to a town.
    Not worth the money to a provider looking to sell a standard package. Of course not.

How about the people living in those areas? People who don't feel that better broadband is enough of a "better off" to consider leaving their home and community.

There needs to be an accessible scheme here to pay for a link near enough to such poorly serviced areas for a wireless last mile even if not directly to the individual home.

A scheme such as the UK's BT "Fibre on Demand" mentioned by @bk some pages back with a pay per meter back to the enabled cabinet works out at about €15,000 to get fiber as far as it's worth taking it. Such an option as a component of a small group scheme makes these things at least possible, even if not easily achievable. Hopefully this will be considered as well as straight to premises connections. It sounds ridiculously expensive to those who have other alternatives as "broadband", but for comparison it's about the price of a reasonable car, and just as important.

I'm buying a house at the moment in an area where the local exchange is not on any list for fiber upgrade, in fact it's not even DSL enabled at this stage, and is also not mentioned on the new list announced by the minister recently for rural expansion. It's not even half an hour from Dublin.

Looks like there's reasonable cover by 3G (no 4G), and it's on the edge of cover from a fixed wireless company with speeds of up to about 4Mb.
    I'd be all on for making an investment in a local wireless provider that could be used to get fiber to their mast to allow them sell a bit more than 4Mb.
    If it were an obvious option, I'd have even considered an extra €10-20k on top of a house price a good investment for the future. Still think I'll be waiting for the ESB to bring me cable some day :-)

What is even more surprising is that you actually seem to believe what you posted!

Yes. Have you ever heard of "profit"? People don't start up businesses to operate at a loss; not unless you agree it's a brilliant idea to build a huge shopping center in the back-arse of Letrim. Can you imagine something like Blanchardstown Shopping Center being built in a sparely populated area? The running costs would be huge but you would have fúck-all customers.

These cabinets are not free, the labour is not free and the electricity that supplies them 24/7 isn't free.

Do rural-dwellers a huge sense of entitlement, or do they just have a poor business mind?

niallb wrote: »
    I'm buying a house at the moment in an area where the local exchange is not on any list for fiber upgrade, in fact it's not even DSL enabled at this stage, and is also not mentioned on the new list announced by the minister recently for rural expansion. It's not even half an hour from Dublin.

Looks like there's reasonable cover by 3G (no 4G), and it's on the edge of cover from a fixed wireless company with speeds of up to about 4Mb.
    I'd be all on for making an investment in a local wireless provider that could be used to get fiber to their mast to allow them sell a bit more than 4Mb.
    If it were an obvious option, I'd have even considered an extra €10-20k on top of a house price a good investment for the future. Still think I'll be waiting for the ESB to bring me cable some day :-)

Maybe its ok for you, but personally I think thats crazy. If you're online a fair bit a crappy connection will drive you up the wall.

I know another boardsie that moved into a place recently and was gone within 6 months due to the broadband(from UPC to DSL in north dublin).

Any future moves for myself will be on the basis of guaranteed 50Mb or more. Internet is just too big a deal nowadays. Moving somewhere without it is like moving to somewhere with no schools when you have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Yes. Have you ever heard of "profit"? People don't start up businesses to operate at a loss; not unless you agree it's a brilliant idea to build a huge shopping center in the back-arse of Letrim. Can you imagine something like Blanchardstown Shopping Center being built in a sparely populated area? The running costs would be huge but you would have fúck-all customers.

These cabinets are not free, the labour is not free and the electricity that supplies them 24/7 isn't free.

Do rural-dwellers a huge sense of entitlement, or do they just have a poor business mind?

Rural dwellers pay tax the same as the rest of the country and that entitles both parties to have a huge sense of entitlement

If eircom were state owned still we would have a better chance because the government would have control over the network and be able to invest in it instead we have an eircom that is financially unstable and we have a substandard service

Thank you Mary Hannifin your the best

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Rural dwellers pay tax the same as the rest of the country and that entitles both parties to have a huge sense of entitlement

If eircom were state owned still we would have a better chance because the government would have control over the network and be able to invest in it instead we have an eircom that is financially unstable and we have a substandard service

Thank you Mary Hannifin your the best

Then why do Dubliners subsidize your lifestyle: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/dubliners-get-up-to-50-times-less-funding-than-rural-dwellers-1.1730130

I agree about the privatization of Eircom. If it was state-ran, we would have had broadband well before 2004 and fibre optic broadband now.

Eircom is a private company.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Finally after months of waiting and my DSL line being completely dead to adsl BB, the engineer arrived yesterday at 2pm even tho he was supposed to arrive in the AM and I was supposed to be back in work.

Anyway he connected up my model made the adjustments and I have a connection of 70/20mb which I am very happy with I was not expected this because of all the issues with my line. So in my area of Navan fiber seems to be finally live.

As far as I can recall the promise is to get rural villages on fibre, no mention of ribbon developments on individual 1/2 acre sites beyond these villages. Lines are all over the place & not often the most direct route to individual dwellings. They follow routes as houses were built at the time, zig-zagging all over the place. My phone line travels at least a Km more than if it followed the roadway to my house.
    3503260576.png
    Renders my internet TV useless:(
    So you meant that nothing will change for you personally, but it will change for 1.4 million properties other than yours. Getting every village and town on VDSL is more than Germany has managed. It would be a great achievement to reach that level of coverage. After that, the fibre that has been laid to these cabinets can be used to provide solid backhaul for fixed wireless links etc. to places like your house, but that will take time and it is right that the people who live in such places should generally be last in line.

• Advertisement

If you want fast broadband, moving to a town/city is the only option.

While I'd agree with the position on rural cabinets, I don't on your solution that they are better off moving. Honestly, that's your answer? Did you really think it out or is it a broad sweeping statement? I'd say the latter.

Why is it that those in the town/city seem to think the ONLY solution, for all issues, is for those in rural areas to move to a town/city?

No neither. You'd be amazed, but many successful businesses exist outside of cities and towns.

Advertisement