Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

But the name does matter. Beef and horse are both meats. Both safe to eat. What's the problem if a bit of horse meat ends up in your beef lasagne? You can't taste the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

doney84 wrote: »
    I'm in Dromiskin myself and when I put my number into the efibre availability checker on the eircom website, it says coming June 14.

The cabinet outside the pub in the village looks new and has a yellow sticker with the cab id on it(not sure if this means anything) but the cabinet to the front of the Commons Grove estate looks quite old and doesn't look like it's been worked on ... Hopefully eircom get it sorted soon.

Not sure about Dunleer but I'd say they are really trying to get Blackrock sorted. Passed a tech working on a cabinet in the Rock at 8am the other morning.
    Dromiskin has the sub ducting done waiting on the fibre cabs to be installed, you will see kn networks come in and lay a concrete base then they come back then with the new/ extra cabs like the one at green gates. I think we will be lucky if we are live before July I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

KM lads working on box in BSZ1_006 in the Bettystown area. Spoke to the guy and he said they were connecting power to it. I've been looking at the message that my area has been enabled, but not yet at my house (40% rule) since January, and in fairness according to the website, this is one of the last boxes to be activated, so I am hopefully that I will get efibre within the next couple of weeks - fingers been crossed for about 2 years now. She's exactly 0.33klm from my front door, so I'm looking forward to hot speeds :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Impetus wrote: »
    In eircom-land and BT land the over paid, over pensioned idiots responsible for trading standards / trading honesty / not pulling the wool haven't a clue of the issues. As a result any crook can peddle his product as ultra/super fiber power mega, and get away with it. Meanwhile most normal people simply pay up and put up with rubbish quality of service.

I pay €35 per month for flawless 50/20 VDSL2 and I couldn't be happier. How exactly is it rubbish?
    Impetus wrote: »
    eFibre and fibre power terms have are the product of a dream by marketing *ankers who seldom use the internet, if ever. Perhaps occasionally to post some rubbish to their linked in account or whatever these idiots manage to achieve on the net. Pushing their pea brain cells to the max and then some in the process. No worries - the over-paid fools working for Comreg are equally clueless.

VDSL2 and VDSL terms just don't fit in, in this moron (read "ejit") environment.
    Jesus man, get a hobby or something. What a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Gonzo wrote: »
    unfortunately Fibre in ireland does not lend itself to well to people of 1.6km and beyond unlike that chart. I don't think Eircom offer Fibre beyond 2km and even at that it's only 7meg at 1.8-2km. I reckon most people more than 1.2km from cab aren't even connected to a cab in the first place.

I'm 1.6km from the cab and I'm running at 30Mbps down :) freaking amazing stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Special Ops

i'll be 50m from the cabinet so i'm hoping to be blazing fast, are there any other factors effecting speed other than distance from cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Unless you have a terrible line, i.e. a fault on it, then you will get 100Mbit at 50m. Even though 50m could easily be 200m depending on how the lines run.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

raytaxi wrote: »
    There is no cabs in dunleer or castlebellingham that i can see /find Dunleer is meant to go live first. Have seen Techs in Blackrock cabs so they may go live soon. Checking Eircom map Dunleer is june and Blackrock, castlebellingham are July :-(

2 more cabinets installed last week beside jjb, one at the dunnes stores roundabout and the other beside kfc. According to eircom these are in blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

doney84 wrote: »
    Blackrock & Castlebellingham put forward to June again:) Should I get my hopes up ???
    Not too much, it could still be 'months' after your area goes active, before it reaches your actual address. I have been waiting almost two months since my area was declared 'fibred', and have been told it could be early september yet before I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Our area is supposed to go live in July and yesterday was the first time when you put your phone number into the Eircom eFibre checker that it actually recognised this fact and it came back with a to be expected line speed of just 16Mb :confused:

Is this just too soon to speculate and will the actually speeds be much higher, 16Mb isn't exactly a whole lot to go shouting about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Our area is supposed to go live in July and yesterday was the first time when you put your phone number into the Eircom eFibre checker that it actually recognised this fact and it came back with a to be expected line speed of just 16Mb :confused:

Is this just too soon to speculate and will the actually speeds be much higher, 16Mb isn't exactly a whole lot to go shouting about.

Do you mean this?

2kVKugs.png

Because that's the ADSL expected speed, not the eFibre (VDSL) expected speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

When are they going to fix the plight of people on pair gains ! Sick of the stone age !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

A technician today working away just inside on the Blackcourt Road/Blanchardstown Road North cross roads.

He was sat at a table on the phone with wires out of some box thing that look like a typewriter that had wires going into the ground, he was at it a while as he was still there when I came back a while later.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Do you mean this?

2kVKugs.png

Because that's the ADSL expected speed, not the eFibre (VDSL) expected speed.

Yep that's what I am on about but I got the impression that was the Fibre speed they were on about, as for that being an ADSL speed, my current speed is always around 1.6Mb (on a good day!! :eek:) so where they got 16Mb I'll never know because our area wasn't on a previously upgraded exchange. As for the cabinets I live approx. 50metres from one and see it being worked on almost every second day so at least it's progressing towards fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep that's what I am on about but I got the impression that was the Fibre speed they were on about, as for that being an ADSL speed, my current speed is always around 1.6Mb (on a good day!! :eek:) so where they got 16Mb I'll never know because our area wasn't on a previously upgraded exchange. As for the cabinets I live approx. 50metres from one and see it being worked on almost every second day so at least it's progressing towards fibre

Until the cab is finished and commissioned they dont know your fibre speed as the test cant be done, so its just spits out the DSL max speed.

If you're getting at 16Mb rating call tech support and have em check out your line and what you should be getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 School Nickname Worldmonkey

Fibre Cabinet ATD_002 in Ardnacrusha just went live today on the wholesale map. Eircom website claims I can only get up to 18Mb though. Will this be updated in a few days, or am I stuck with a mediocre connection?

e; Question answered by the poster above. Thanks^

e2; Contacted the online chat guys, they told me I'm stuck with 18Mb/s connection. :( At least it's better than 3Mbps...

Fibre Cabinet ATD_002 in Ardnacrusha just went live today on the wholesale map. Eircom website claims I can only get up to 18Mb though. Will this be updated in a few days, or am I stuck with a mediocre connection?

e; Question answered by the poster above. Thanks^

e2; Contacted the online chat guys, they told me I'm stuck with 18Mb/s connection. :( At least it's better than 3Mbps...

If your cab is live and they're giving a figure that's it for now. Could well be unvectored yet though so you mght jump to 25 later if you're lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 StevePL

KM lads working on box in BSZ1_006 in the Bettystown area. Spoke to the guy and he said they were connecting power to it. I've been looking at the message that my area has been enabled, but not yet at my house (40% rule) since January, and in fairness according to the website, this is one of the last boxes to be activated, so I am hopefully that I will get efibre within the next couple of weeks - fingers been crossed for about 2 years now. She's exactly 0.33klm from my front door, so I'm looking forward to hot speeds :o)

Was that the box at maples estate ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

Anyone know the plan for direct fed lines (direct line between exchange and house without going through a cab). I know there was talk of running fibre direct originally, but this may now have changed to an EVDSL (Exchange VDSL) plan. The engineer I spoke to seemed reluctant to talk to me about it but said there was a dispute with ComReg over how Eircom were going to handle direct fed lines.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

billyduk wrote: »
    Anyone know the plan for direct fed lines (direct line between exchange and house without going through a cab). I know there was talk of running fibre direct originally, but this may now have changed to an EVDSL (Exchange VDSL) plan. The engineer I spoke to seemed reluctant to talk to me about it but said there was a dispute with ComReg over how Eircom were going to handle direct fed lines.

Eircom has started a trial of the technology in a couple of exchanges. It will likely be a few months before the trial completes and Comreg etc. decide to allow a wider roll out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

StevePL wrote: »
    Was that the box at maples estate ? :)

The very same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

bk wrote: »
    Eircom has started a trial of the technology in a couple of exchanges. It will likely be a few months before the trial completes and Comreg etc. decide to allow a wider roll out.

It'll only really be of use to people on short lines connected to the exchange though.
    Anything beyond 1km is really pushing the limits of what VDSL2 can do, with or without vectoring.
    In a lot of areas with direct-fed lines they'll need to retrofit cabinets, regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It'll only really be of use to people on short lines connected to the exchange though.
    Anything beyond 1km is really pushing the limits of what VDSL2 can do, with or without vectoring.
    In a lot of areas with direct-fed lines they'll need to retrofit cabinets, regardless.

I think your 1Km figure is a little conservative. I'm at 1.25Km running 40/10 and I've seen another at 1.6Km running 15/3 (can I recall where...and link nope)..

Anyone running ADSL1 at 2Km @ 7Mb/384Kbps could easily jump to 7/1 or even 12/1 - still a massive improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

MBSnr wrote: »
    I think your 1Km figure is a little conservative. I'm at 1.25Km running 40/10 and I've seen another at 1.6Km running 15/3 (can I recall where...and link nope)..

Anyone running ADSL1 at 2Km @ 7Mb/384Kbps could easily jump to 7/1 or even 12/1 - still a massive improvement.

We are 2.3km away from the exchange but I'd prefer that Eircom work on cutting the line close to the cabinet.

ADSL2+
    10517 kbps
    670 kbps

red_bairn wrote: »
    We are 2.3km away from the exchange but I'd prefer that Eircom work on cutting the line close to the cabinet.

ADSL2+
    10517 kbps
    670 kbps

Of course - if it's possible yes.
    I'm 2.5Km from the exchange (my VDSL line is only at work....:mad: ) but I'm very unlikely to see a cabinet appear between us and the exchange - unless they start rolling out pole mounted VDSL cabinets - which would work very well for us.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

SpaceTime wrote: »

Actually I've been hearing some very surprising (positive) numbers but we will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

MBSnr wrote: »
    Of course - if it's possible yes.
    I'm 2.5Km from the exchange (my VDSL line is only at work....:mad: ) but I'm very unlikely to see a cabinet appear between us and the exchange - unless they start rolling out pole mounted VDSL cabinets - which would work very well for us.

I have seen places where direct lines that are 5 km from exchange been
    connected now to both a new copper and fibre cabinet,
    The reason for this is that cabinets are been located where the underground
    meets the overhead network in rural areas
    This mostly depends on the customer catchment area and the size of cable
    that feeds out to this location
    I know of a location close to where I live
    In the last week both cabinets have been put in place and they are located
    exactly 4.2 km from the exchange
    The cable route out to these cabs is actually close to 5 km.
    I am located close to 2.3 km from this location
    At the moment i am on a dl of 1.7mb and a upload of sweet feck all.
    I have been told that at the moment that you can get roughly around 8 mgs
    out to 1km
    When vectoring is added i believe eircom will soon be pushing their cabinet
    catchment area out an extra km, so i believe i will be a borderline case with
    the chance of getting NGA broadband of around 8mgs.
    Whether they sell me NGA or not is another story but one thing for sure i would pay for it...anything is better than what i have at the moment.

^^^
    Anyone know how many pairs are in the standard Eircom cable strung between poles? Seems to me to be a double type (like an OO shape with maybe 25 pairs per side - complete guess) so each cable could serve 50 houses based on that.
    So 'based on that guess', there's 3 cables that come up from underground and are terminated on a pole overground. If every line was in use that could be serving 150 houses and fairly viable for a cabinet. Would I be madly off with these figures?

Does anyone know the number of pairs in the cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

A whole load of cabinets in Greenogue industrial estate and 2 in Newcastle Co Dublin went live on the map a couple of days ago. My mother who lives there then got her appointment confirmed for next Friday. Hopefully our Skype conversations will benefit and her grandson will not grow up thinking that granny is a pixelated monster!

• Advertisement

They use 500, 200 and 100s, smaller than that I dont know what the story is.

Advertisement