Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A lot of places would have 2 pairs, 4 wires going to them. Spare pair is handy if you want a second line or if the original line fails and can swap over. There'd usually be some spare pairs on the main cables for similar reasons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fergus1001 wrote: »
    When are they going to fix the plight of people on pair gains ! Sick of the stone age !
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalcolithic
    The Chalcolithic period or Copper Age...
    because it is characterized by the use of metals, the Copper Age is considered a part of the Bronze Age rather than the Stone Age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Just got efibre fitted this morning. There's a red light over where its says internet on the modem and no internet coming through but the phone can find a wifi signal.
    I rang Vodafone but no help as usual. How do I get it working anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Just got efibre fitted this morning. There's a red light over where its says internet on the modem and no internet coming through but the phone can find a wifi signal.
    I rang Vodafone but no help as usual. How do I get it working anyone know?

I can't believe Vodafone did not advise you with this. If this was a new install did the engineer verify operation before leaving the premises? Not a good start!

degsie wrote: »
    I can't believe Vodafone did not advise you with this. If this was a new install did the engineer verify operation before leaving the premises? Not a good start!

The engineer was brilliant. No problem with the line. He took a picture of speeds etc but said Vodafone need to sort from there.
    VF said it can take 48 hours to activate!!

• Advertisement

The engineer was brilliant. No problem with the line. He took a picture of speeds etc but said Vodafone need to sort from there.
    VF said it can take 48 hours to activate!!

Ok, don't know why you asked for help here when VF are the only ones who can help you! Anyway, hope it gets sorted....

degsie wrote: »
    Ok, don't know why you asked for help here when VF are the only ones who can help you! Anyway, hope it gets sorted....

Can't find a similar thread in the Vodafone section :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Very good only took a whole 24 hours to come up with that ;)

But seriously would they not fix pair gains and gain a few extra customers it doesn't take much like

Very good only took a whole 24 hours to come up with that ;)

But seriously would they not fix pair gains and gain a few extra customers it doesn't take much like
    This thread is about the 1.4m premises eircom will provide cabinets for efibre for. Not all those will get efibre due to line quality and the 40% metric.

Unfortunately that also means there's 900,000 premises who'll have to wait a lot longer

it also means the crews will be fairly busy on the roll out and that's where the money will be going too for the moment , there isn't much profit in having to roll our a new line to an existing customer when you aren't providing them a new service because you can't charge them extra.

AFAIK you may have to go to comreg to get the pairs sorted out if eircom refuse or deny - but don't hold your breath :(

This thread is about the 1.4m premises eircom will provide cabinets for efibre for. Not all those will get efibre due to line quality and the 40% metric.

Unfortunately that also means there's 900,000 premises who'll have to wait a lot longer

it also means the crews will be fairly busy on the roll out and that's where the money will be going too for the moment , there isn't much profit in having to roll our a new line to an existing customer when you aren't providing them a new service because you can't charge them extra.

AFAIK you may have to go to comreg to get the pairs sorted out if eircom refuse or deny - but don't hold your breath :(

I know :( I have been stuck on one for years and its really disheartening at this stage I don't hold a grudge against other people getting a better service but I do have a problem with eircom not providing a service at all and trying to charge me the same line rental as if I had the same service as others :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭draken

I know :( I have been stuck on one for years and its really disheartening at this stage I don't hold a grudge against other people getting a better service but I do have a problem with eircom not providing a service at all and trying to charge me the same line rental as if I had the same service as others :/

I have a problem with Eircom that they had a perfectly functioning 2mb line a year ago (and it was working perfectly fine for several years) and now refuse to fix it even though it dropped to 0.4mb or less. My house hasnt moved yet they give the same empty excuses - and worse, say "forget the past" went I point out that it WAS working fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I suppose you could look at it another way. Using pair gains allowed them to provide your property with a phone service in the first place. Without pair gains, it may well have been uneconomical to provide that phone service for all those years.

You'd be happy (presumably) to be able to pay the same as someone next door to a cabinet and getting 100Mb even if you were only getting say 25Mb. Similarly, your predecessors were probably happy to pay the same line rental even though they were "only" getting a pair gain line.

I understand your frustration but I think it'll be long time before Eircom start tackling pair gain lines just so they can provide xDSL to them. There are simply too many customers on normal lines who they can sort out more easily and therefore get more revenue faster.

murphaph wrote: »
    I suppose you could look at it another way. Using pair gains allowed them to provide your property with a phone service in the first place. Without pair gains, it may well have been uneconomical to provide that phone service for all those years.
    uneconomical isn't really an issue because of USO

http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/universal_service_obligation___what_it_means_for_your_phone_service.264.LE.asp
    As the universal service provider, what should eircom do?
    use all reasonable efforts to make sure that connections to the publicly available telephone network can send and receive data at a rate of at least 28.8 kbit/s, if necessary by removing carrier systems equipment and increasing the data speed on certain lines,
    if the estimated cost of meeting the request is less than or equal to €7,000, the person or organisation applying for the connection will pay the standard connection charge. If it is greater than €7,000, eircom will pay the first €7,000 and the applicant will pay anything over this if they want to go ahead with the connection.

NB they have NO obligation to provide broadband (or ISDN) , they just have an obligation to provide lines of a quality capable of 28.8Kb modem. So if the problem is line quality it might help, if the problem is distance or that the exchange hasn't been upgraded then nothing doing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

Anyone know how to pull the max attainable rate out of the vodafone HG658c? ive been searching for hours on how to do it

dazdrog wrote: »
    Anyone know how to pull the max attainable rate out of the vodafone HG658c? ive been searching for hours on how to do it

What chipset(SoC) is it based off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

dazdrog wrote: »

I understand you have to use Firefox (or Chrome possibly) and then do something like this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85803697
    it's right click on page and inspect element and amend entries to get FF to display the hidden stuff.

but do it on the stats page. There was a post earlier in this thread... I think.. That should point you in the right direction...

EDIT - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89602895&postcount=206 mentions it.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

MBSnr wrote: »
    I understand you have to use Firefox (or Chrome possibly) and then do something like this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85803697
    it's right click on page and inspect element and amend entries to get FF to display the hidden stuff.

but do it on the stats page. There was a post earlier in this thread... I think.. That should point you in the right direction...

EDIT - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89602895&postcount=206 mentions it.

yeah ive been trying that for the last while and can unlock the menus but it still does not show max rate

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Thetruthking

does anyone know hoe to properally unlock the eircom D1000 Modem so I can be superuser and access all settings, I could do it on the old one but have no idea how to on this, I can only log in as normal on this :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

does anyone know hoe to properally unlock the eircom D1000 Modem so I can be superuser and access all settings, I could do it on the old one but have no idea how to on this, I can only log in as normal on this :-(

I think most of the functions are available in the browser interface. Alternatively, if you want to access the command line interface and you can use Telnet to do this.

If you think Telnet is not enabled on your router, first use the browser to log onto the router and use the Telnet Screen to check if Telnet access is allowed and to specify which interfaces allow Telnet access and from which IP address the access can come.

To see the Telnet settings - Click Maintenance > RemoteMGMT > Telnet tab

I use a F1000 for eFibre and have these commands through Telnet

help
    logout
    exit
    quit
    reboot
    adsl
    xdslctl
    xtm
    loglevel
    logdest
    virtualserver
    ddns
    dumpcfg
    dumpmdm
    meminfo
    psp
    dumpsysinfo
    syslog
    sntp
    voice
    wlan
    arp
    defaultgateway
    dhcpserver
    dhcpcondserv
    igmpcmd
    dns
    lan
    lanhosts
    passwd
    ppp
    restoredefault
    route
    save
    swversion
    uptime
    cfgupdate
    swupdate
    exitOnIdle
    wan
    udpechod
    tr69c
    webstyle
    radvdconf
    vcautohunt
    vlanautohunt
    sys
    save_default
    captiveportal
    celld
    zyims_watchdog
    wanaslan
    tr064
    wakeOnLan
    speedtestIOP
    phonetest

I expect the D1000 is similar.

The User Guides are available

D1000 (228 pages) broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/eircom_D1000.pdf

F1000 (359 pages) eircombusiness-wp.s3.amazonaws.com/media/modem_user_guide.pdf

You'd be happy (presumably) to be able to pay the same as someone next door to a cabinet and getting 100Mb even if you were only getting say 25Mb. Similarly, your predecessors were probably happy to pay the same line rental even though they were "only" getting a pair gain line.

I understand your frustration but I think it'll be long time before Eircom start tackling pair gain lines just so they can provide xDSL to them. There are simply too many customers on normal lines who they can sort out more easily and therefore get more revenue faster.

Well they are loosing alot of rural customers because of it because people are just using their mobiles why pay eircom line rental when all you can do is talk when your mobile does the same and more

So its in there interest to service people as best they can but they ain't seeing it that way yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Well they are loosing alot of rural customers because of it because people are just using their mobiles why pay eircom line rental when all you can do is talk when your mobile does the same and more

So its in there interest to service people as best they can but they ain't seeing it that way yet

Just simple economics on Eircom's behalf I suppose.

jca wrote: »
    Just simple economics on Eircom's behalf I suppose.
    Well they have a mountain of debt and a finite number of installers so yeah the priority would be targeting the the economically areas first.

Someone may correct me but I'd be resonable sure that a good chunk of the rural customers would come back once efirbre was available, it's not like they are being lost to UPC & co.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Which financially might actually be a positive thing for them!

Many rural customers probably actually cost them more then it makes them money. They are required to service these customers per the USO, but if these customers voluntarily leave, then it might actually improve their profitability!

Also as Capt'n Midnight says, when they finally get around to rolling out eFibre to these areas, they are likely to win back most customers as 3G is pretty rubbish anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/third_quarter_and_nine_months_results_announcement_to_31_march_2014/

“Our significant programme of investment continued, and at the end of March 2014 the fibre footprint had passed 800,000[4] homes and businesses. We are on track to pass 1,000,000 premises during summer 2014 and 1,400,000 premises by 2016, which will provide 70% of all homes and businesses in Ireland access to high speed broadband. During the quarter, eircom became one of the first operators in Europe to deploy vectoring technology, which enables broadband speeds of up to 100Mb/s. We are starting to see the benefit of our investments with some 103,000 customers already taking up our high speed broadband services at the end of March, representing a 13% penetration of the 800,000 premises passed. Our 4G roll out is ahead of schedule and now covers 50% of the population in Ireland. Our investment in converged billing platforms enables us to be the only operator to offer a ‘quad play’ of services, including TV on a single bill.

“Our programme of cost transformation continues. To date, 1,747 employees have exited the Group since 1 January 2013. A further 200 employees will leave the business by the end of December 2014. In addition to delivering cost savings, these exits deliver a flexible and streamlined organisation. We have also achieved €100 million[5] in operational cost savings on an annualised basis by the 31 March 2014, three months ahead of target.

During May 2014, we received an opinion of non-compliance from ComReg in relation to procedures regarding the termination of customer contracts. While we remain fully engaged with ComReg in relation to this matter and will vigorously defend our position, we have taken a prudent approach and during the quarter to March 31 2014 made a full exceptional provision of €7 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The mother got connected (used to be really sh!te ADSL, ca. 6km from exchange) today and it was well worth it. I haven't seen any stats but I don't need to, she got upgraded because I kept telling her that Skype was appalling from our end (we already have 50/10 VDSL this long while) and we Skyped there this evening and the picture our end is now crystal clear, no pixelation any more. Obviously her upload speed just wasn't there under ADSL with that distance to the exchange. She's about 650m to the cabinet now. Grandson very happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Thetruthking

The mother got connected (used to be really sh!te ADSL, ca. 6km from exchange) today and it was well worth it. I haven't seen any stats but I don't need to, she got upgraded because I kept telling her that Skype was appalling from our end (we already have 50/10 VDSL this long while) and we Skyped there this evening and the picture our end is now crystal clear, no pixelation any more. Obviously her upload speed just wasn't there under ADSL with that distance to the exchange. She's about 650m to the cabinet now. Grandson very happy!

what speeds? or what is the point of your post I don't understand why you posted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

what speeds? or what is the point of your post I don't understand why you posted?

He's just saying how much of an improvement it made to his life and his child's life after one day, but I guess you know that already and are just being deliberately obtuse. The norm for this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

I really don't understand why you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Wow some posts can be rude on this site at times. I dont see any harm in someone commenting about how their broadband was bad before but far better since a fibre upgrde! The post was beig informative and no harm. Thanks for letting others know that even if you get 1meg theres hope for better service yet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There's really no comparison.

1) it's a shorter line
    2) it's much newer all-IP technology. The ADSL systems contained layers of ATM technology.
    3) the network is massively simplified which should speed up the time taken for a packet to get through.
    4) VDSL upload speeds are up to 40 times higher than typical ADSL 500kbps.

So basically you've low latency far higher speed connectivity. Difference is as big as going from dial up to ADSL

Advertisement