Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Also it makes a good change from the people who come on here who say that the VDSL rollout has been a "disaster" because they personally haven't gotten it yet or can't get it. 99.9% of us whom have been lucky enough to get VDSL are delighted with the service and speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Thetruthking

SpaceTime wrote: »
    There's really no comparison.

1) it's a shorter line
    2) it's much newer all-IP technology. The ADSL systems contained layers of ATM technology.
    3) the network is massively simplified which should speed up the time taken for a packet to get through.
    4) VDSL upload speeds are up to 40 times higher than typical ADSL 500kbps.

So basically you've low latency far higher speed connectivity. Difference is as big as going from dial up to ADSL

I understand that, all that is obv with fiber lol, but he didn't say anything like that in his post,,, just sounds like hes bragging that 'the mother' got it ha ha!
    I wish he would upload some stats and speed tests etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I currently have 200 meg UPC which is fantastic it has to be said. Eircom 100 Meg has gone live in the area now and it's a great bargaining tool to use when negotiating with UPC. Just had free sky sports for 2 months after I threatened to change!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I currently have 200 meg UPC which is fantastic it has to be said. Eircom 100 Meg has gone live in the area now and it's a great bargaining tool to use when negotiating with UPC. Just had free sky sports for 2 months after I threatened to change!!

Nice one, nothing like a bit of competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I understand that, all that is obv with fiber lol, but he didn't say anything like that in his post,,, just sounds like hes bragging that 'the mother' got it ha ha!
    I wish he would upload some stats and speed tests etc

There are plenty of threads here to upload speed tests and router stats, this isn't one of them. The fibre rollout is the title of this one..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Some people are just weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

So we are SUPPOSED to go live in July so fingers crossed. We've been knocked back enough times already ... My question is and I'm sorry if its been asked already but I'm not going back through 513 pages on this thread ;)

The local eircom lad said that originally the cabinets were to serve premises upto 1KM from each box but that has now been changed to serve upto 2KM? Is this good or is this bad? Is vectoring (I don't know what that actually is) enabled on all new cabs or is it only in certain towns / areas?

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    The local eircom lad said that originally the cabinets were to serve premises upto 1KM from each box but that has now been changed to serve upto 2KM? Is this good or is this bad? Is vectoring (I don't know what that actually is) enabled on all new cabs or is it only in certain towns / areas?

According to the Eircom documentation they now support lines out to 2km, though I'm not sure we have seen many people with those sort of distances here on boards yet, so not 100% certain that this change has been rolled out. Would be good if anyone over 1km could confirm.

It is very good news as it should mean improved speeds for a lot more people. Those over 1km won't get the superfast speeds many are talking about here, but they should get a solid boost in speed by moving to VDSL. For instance a person at 2km would probably be only getting about 1mb/s at the moment, with VDSL they would see a very welcome jump to 8 to 10mb/s * and also much better latency and a much more stable line.

* 10mb/s might not sound great compared to the headline 100mb/s speed. But remember a person on 1mb/s can't even do Netflix SD and only very low resolution youtube. With 10mb/s they can now suddenly do, youtube HD, Netflix HD, Skype, spotify, etc. It really does open up a world of possibilities for them.

The only place a 10mb/s line would fall down on compared to a 50 to 100mb/s line is where you have a few people in the house sharing the 10mb/s line, all trying to do streaming etc. at the same time.

So yes, it is very good news.

Vectoring is a technology which increases the speed of a VDSL line by correcting for noise on a phone line (vast simplification here). For instance a non vectored line which gets 70mb/s, will jump to 100mb/s with vectoring enabled. All VDSL lines will see about a 20% increase in speed with vectoring enabled.

Most cabs should have vectoring enabled (it is just a software update, no new hardware required) and yes I expect most new cabs will have it enabled from day one. However there are some small percentage of cabs that can't have it enabled due to technical issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

bk wrote:
    It is very good news as it should mean improved speeds for a lot more people. Those over 1km won't get the superfast speeds many are talking about here, but they should get a solid boost in speed by moving to VDSL. For instance a person at 2km would probably be only getting about 1mb/s at the moment, with VDSL they would see a very welcome jump to 8 to 10mb/s * and also much better latency and a much more stable line.

I must be extremely lucky.
    I am over 3.5km from the exchange by conservative estimate, and am getting about 4.5Mb/s.

... unless the cable has taken some shortcut somehow ...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I am over 3.5km from the exchange by conservative estimate, and am getting about 4.5Mb/s.

BK has something wrong there, ADSL maxes out between 4.5 and 5km. At 2KM you can get a 12mb sync.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

This is what a 2.0km ADSL2+ line looks like:

zt6d0g.png

If they had noise-cancelling technology for ADSL, I would get 17Mb or maybe even 18Mb. Eircom line checker used to say 15Mb, but now it's says 40Mb :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ED E wrote: »
    BK has something wrong there, ADSL maxes out between 4.5 and 5km. At 2KM you can get a 12mb sync.

Yes, what I was getting at is that many people will be closer to a cabinet then their exchange and should thus see an improvement with VDSL.

So for instance a person who is currently connected to an exchange 5km away is currently getting about 1mb/s, might now find that there are now connected to a VDSL cab 2km away and can get 10mb/s

Of course it is also possible that a person who is currently 5km from the exchange and currently getting 1mb/s will find they are connected to a VDSL cab 100meters away and suddenly find they are getting 100mb/s :D

That will happen to some people, but not the majority of people in rural Ireland.

It is also possible that a person might currently be 2km from their exchange and when connected to VDSL they remain 2km from their cab (exchange only lines). Now these people might not see a big jump, but they should still see a minor bump in speed, specially with vectoring enabled and also improvement in pings and stability of the line.

I suppose we will have to wait for the results of the exchange only trials currently going on, but I'm hoping we will see good results.

Anyway, the point is almost everyone should benefit from switching to VDSL, either by a greater or lesser extent.

If they had noise-cancelling technology for ADSL, I would get 17Mb or maybe even 18Mb. Eircom line checker used to say 15Mb, but now it's says 40Mb :D

Just because you are 2km from the exchange (ADSL2+), doesn't mean you will be 2km from the cab, the cab could be (more then likely is) much closer.

I assume 40mb/s is for Eircom eFibre? When you order it, let us know how far you are from the cab and your stats. Cheers

bk wrote: »
    Just because you are 2km from the exchange (ADSL2+), doesn't mean you will be 2km from the cab, the cab could be (more then likely is) much closer.

I assume 40mb/s is for Eircom eFibre? When you order it, let us know how far you are from the cab and your stats. Cheers

I know that, I was just giving an example of what a 2.0km line looks like because that's my current line.

The 40Mb is what I pre-qualify for, which is actually disappointing because I'm no more than 350m for the cabinet. I've checked other addresses in my estate and it's weird because No. 41 pre-qualifies for 70Mb, while No. 42 qualifies for 40Mb, while the house across the road can only get 30Mb, so the telephone lines must travel arse-ways in my estate, or there's something interfering with the lines. I'll make an inquiry to the Eircom technician about the direction of the telephone lines in my estate when he arrives to install it.

It only went live on Tuesday and it doesn't seem as if vectoring has been enabled yet, but some housing estates in my area can get 100Mb. I've made the order but I won't be getting it until July 7th for some reason. Vodafone gave me a €3 discount, though, so I'm paying €37 a month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Like the previous guy I am also 2kms from my exchange on ADSL2+ I get 13.6mbs down and 1mb up.

I wonder what speed would I be likely to get when eFibre launches here in 2016? I reckon that a cabinet will actually be located closer to me than the 2KM from the exchange but I am just wondering if hypothetically they just planked one cabinet to serve the entire village effectively just replacing the exchange giving the village higher speeds.

Also more importantly the fiber-optic cable serving this exchange is running 10 metres outside my front door, I wonder would they give me a direct fibre connection in from that instead? I'd happily pay around €1,000 to €2,000 to get a FTTH installed or are these cables only running from exchanges back to their data centres?

The 40Mb is what I pre-qualify for, which is actually disappointing because I'm no more than 350m for the cabinet. I've checked other addresses in my estate and it's weird because No. 41 pre-qualifies for 70Mb, while No. 42 qualifies for 40Mb, while the house across the road can only get 30Mb, so the telephone lines must travel arse-ways in my estate, or there's something interfering with the lines. I'll make an inquiry to the Eircom technician about the direction of the telephone lines in my estate when he arrives to install it.

You might not necessarily be connected to the closest cabinet.

Sounds like you and some of your neighbours are connected to a more distant cab.

You might not necessarily be connected to the closest cabinet.

Sounds like you and some of your neighbours are connected to a more distant cab.

There is no other cabinet nearby and all of the house address were "up to" 24Mb last week, now they're "up to" 70Mb - we all went live at the same time and it's been a month since KN Networks completed the cabinet.

I can PM you a Google Maps link to show you the layout of my estate, then you can find the cabinet on the Ireland Offline map. It very straight forward: cabinet at the entrance of the estate and just two road leading to a cul de sac on each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Looks like they've updated the rollout map.

The Curragh bumped from June to July .. nnnngggghhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

The live map doesn’t mean that’s it you have efibre, its 40% and then no rhyme or reason. So to say its live is to say you won a ticket and might be lucky to get it

The first ten houses in my estate got it and talking to various eircom people then don’t know why. Blanchardstown went live in 2013 around September, I’ve been told it could be 2015 before my estate has word on fully going live.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

long_b wrote: »

My area pushed back to October ... was supposed to be June :mad:

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    Like the previous guy I am also 2kms from my exchange on ADSL2+ I get 13.6mbs down and 1mb up.

I wonder what speed would I be likely to get when eFibre launches here in 2016? I reckon that a cabinet will actually be located closer to me than the 2KM from the exchange but I am just wondering if hypothetically they just planked one cabinet to serve the entire village effectively just replacing the exchange giving the village higher speeds.

At 2km, you would see no improvement over 13.6mb/s, maybe some improvements in stability and latency.

However that is based off the current VDSL tech. I've heard rumours that the exchange only gear that Eircom are trialling is different and maybe able to deliver much higher speeds over long distances. So we will have to wait and see on that one.
    Stinicker wrote: »
    Also more importantly the fiber-optic cable serving this exchange is running 10 metres outside my front door, I wonder would they give me a direct fibre connection in from that instead? I'd happily pay around €1,000 to €2,000 to get a FTTH installed or are these cables only running from exchanges back to their data centres?

They typically only run from the data centers to the exchanges (and now to the VDSL FTTC cabinets). Residential customers can't order FTTH (with the exception of the two trial areas). A business customer could order a line, but expect to pay tens of thousands for an install and high fees after that.

Hopefully Eircom will introduce a Fibre On Demand scheme like BT in the UK have where you can opt to pay for a FTTH line to be run from the closest FTTC cab/exchange. Still very expensive, but more reasonable.
    There is no other cabinet nearby and all of the house address were "up to" 24Mb last week, now they're "up to" 70Mb - we all went live at the same time and it's been a month since KN Networks completed the cabinet.

Strange, sounds like their might be some line damage happening between you and your neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

long_b wrote: »

I'm in robertstown it's not even showing on the map but they have the cabinet in and are working on it every second day

Woohoo , Roscrea is still at July on all the different maps and line checkers. Fingers crossed that I don't jinx it now

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

They have now moved Clonakilty, from March, April, May, June now to SEPTEMBER :(
    What is going on with Eircom ???? Bandon and Skibb already live FFS !

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

I have lost count how often Castlebellingham has been put back now to October:mad:. At this point i'd settle if it was asdl2+ its still on asdl 1 and getting 3m on a upto 24m. I see they have put in 3 new cabs as well though none where I am. At the rate they seem to be going think it may be next October before its here if we are lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

However that is based off the current VDSL tech. I've heard rumours that the exchange only gear that Eircom are trialling is different and maybe able to deliver much higher speeds over long distances. So we will have to wait and see on that one.

Oh... really? Any more on the distance rumours or is that just your take on things? Were they from an Eircom source?

The VDSL2 tech Eircom are using seems capable of pushing out beyond the 2Km distance and I've seen BT graphs out to 3Km giving an estimated 7/1 profile - obv if the line is clean enough.

As you say we just need to wait and see....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

ClonNGB wrote: »
    They have now moved Clonakilty, from March, April, May, June now to SEPTEMBER :(
    What is going on with Eircom ???? Bandon and Skibb already live FFS !
    Might be nothing to do with Eircom. They have dependencies themselves (planning departments, roads departments, electrics, possibly other utilities blocking access to them to get their fibre laid...who knows?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Woohoo , Roscrea is still at July on all the different maps and line checkers. Fingers crossed that I don't jinx it now

I saw the KN boys doing some work around the place recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

They should ay least be able to switch on exchange fed fibre customers without planning issues. Surely this could be done really quickly and than afterwards add cabs as they go

• Advertisement

O'Prez wrote: »
    I saw the KN boys doing some work around the place recently.

The end is in sight! I reckon yer Cab is the forst to be enabled too

Advertisement