Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ClonNGB wrote: »
    They should ay least be able to switch on exchange fed fibre customers without planning issues. Surely this could be done really quickly and than afterwards add cabs as they go

They have to get permission from Comreg and I believe there is a lot of opposition to it from all the other operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bk wrote: »
    They have to get permission from Comreg and I believe there is a lot of opposition to it from all the other operators.

Its complex as currently exchanges have LLU and multiple dslams(in bigger exchanges). These procedures and hand offs are heavily regulated. Thus in adding vdsl cabs but keeping the AXEs the procedures all have to be agreed on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There had been problems reported in getting the Eastern side of Enniscorthy onto fibre but it seems all that's solved now.Looks like the whole town is fibre enabled.The thing that's puzzling to me is the amount of people who still haven't upgraded from standard DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zerks wrote: »
    There had been problems reported in getting the Eastern side of Enniscorthy onto fibre but it seems all that's solved now.Looks like the whole town is fibre enabled.The thing that's puzzling to me is the amount of people who still haven't upgraded from standard DSL.

Have they put vdsl gear in the exchange? Almost all the east side of the town is directly connected to the exchange. I don't bother trying to tell people about the dramatic difference vdsl makes, it's just a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Only a few exchanges have vdsl gear active in exchanges. 4 trial exchanges. It's going to be a few months before comreg make a decision and then a good number of months before a countrywide rollout makes some headway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Praetorian wrote: »
    Only a few exchanges have vdsl gear active in exchanges. 4 trial exchanges. It's going to be a few months before comreg make a decision and then a good number of months before a countrywide rollout makes some headway.

I find it fairly unbelievable that this hasn't already been resolved and they can't push ahead with the exchange roll out.... I mean it's not like Comreg weren't expecting it to happen at some point...

Oh wait - they probably weren't - it's Comreg after all.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

mightyreds wrote: »
    I'm in robertstown it's not even showing on the map but they have the cabinet in and are working on it every second day

Cabs in Robertstown, Allenwood, Kilmeague and Coill Dubh are on the map here,

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

click on nga map and then on all.

All the above areas are on the efibre map page too but so small you'd hardly see them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MBSnr wrote: »
    I find it fairly unbelievable that this hasn't already been resolved and they can't push ahead with the exchange roll out.... I mean it's not like Comreg weren't expecting it to happen at some point...

ED_E explains it very well above:
    Its complex as currently exchanges have LLU and multiple dslams(in bigger exchanges). These procedures and hand offs are heavily regulated. Thus in adding vdsl cabs but keeping the AXEs the procedures all have to be agreed on again.

The other operators all have significant objections and complaints with it, it isn't straight forward at all. And it isn't really Comreg's fault, it is Eircom's fault for not starting this process earlier and working with the OLO's

However I don't really blame Eircom for that either, after all it was much easier for them to just target the low hanging fruit of the majority of users first.

We just have to be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

nilhg wrote: »
    Cabs in Robertstown, Allenwood, Kilmeague and Coill Dubh are on the map here,

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

click on nga map and then on all.

All the above areas are on the efibre map page too but so small you'd hardly see them.

Thanks when i clicked on all it brought up the date summer or autumn thought it would be close they are working out here all the time lately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Higher downstream SNR is better right?

Because mind seems to keep rising!

• Advertisement

Higher downstream SNR is better right?

Because mind seems to keep rising!

Attenuation: Lower is better
    SNR: Higher is better

;)

My suspicion is sky will fight exchange VDSL as much as possible as that'll put them even more behind the times. This will further slow the process.

Regulatory things take time, and exchange VDSL is far less of an improvement than FTTC, so why bother rushing it. Better to work on getting planning permission from all the county councils.

EDIT: This doesnt make as much sense as I thought it did, as sky seem to want everyone else to pay KN's wages. May just be slow bureaucracy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

ED E wrote: »
    Attenuation: Lower is better
    SNR: Higher is better
    Thanks as always ED E!

I remembered it was better for one of them to be lower and the other higher but couldn't remember which one it was :P

Won't effect me as I sync at 100/20 but still it's interesting to see it rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Be thankful Vectoring was approved in Ireland. It caused major delays in Germany because of the problems with local loop unbundling and the Regulator. It is still not available here apart from in trial areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

murphaph wrote: »
    Be thankful Vectoring was approved in Ireland. It caused major delays in Germany because of the problems with local loop unbundling and the Regulator. It is still not available here apart from in trial areas.

Wow - that is surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

long_b wrote: »
    Looks like they've updated the rollout map.

The Curragh bumped from June to July .. nnnngggghhhh

Hey long_b. As far as I can remember, you're in Martinstown, like myself. The closest efibre cabinet to us seems to be Cut Bush, which is ~3.2km from me. I think technically, VDSL2 should be similar to ADSL2+ at that distance (~8Mb), but would Eircom even allow us to avail at that distance?

It's always possible that they may put a cabinet out at Martinstown cross, but that's very unlikely I'd say, unless you have heard differently?

Regards,
    Derek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Dero wrote: »
    Hey long_b. As far as I can remember, you're in Martinstown, like myself. The closest efibre cabinet to us seems to be Cut Bush, which is ~3.2km from me. I think technically, VDSL2 should be similar to ADSL2+ at that distance (~8Mb), but would Eircom even allow us to avail at that distance?

It's always possible that they may put a cabinet out at Martinstown cross, but that's very unlikely I'd say, unless you have heard differently?

Regards,
    Derek.

I don't think you avail of VDSL2 at more than 2.0km.

I don't think you avail of VDSL2 at more than 2.0km.

Well that's why I'm asking would they allow it. According to this, VDSL2 can be used up to 4-5km. So the question is if you're further then 2km from a cabinet, will Eircom artificially restict you from getting ADSL2+ equivalent connection performance where you wouldn't otherwise get any connection?
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Starting from 1.6 km (0.99 mi) its performance is equal to ADSL2+.

ADSL-like long reach performance is one of the key advantages of VDSL2. LR-VDSL2 enabled systems are capable of supporting speeds of around 1–4 Mbit/s (downstream) over distances of 4–5 km (2.5–3 miles), gradually increasing the bit rate up to symmetric 100 Mbit/s as loop-length shortens. This means that VDSL2-based systems, unlike VDSL systems, are not limited to short local loops or MTU/MDUs only, but can also be used for medium range applications.

They arent doing ADSL2+ from VDSL2 DSLAMs yet(if ever). And if you dont reach 7Mb VDSL prequal you cant order it. That means up to 2-2.2km ish depending on cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

They arent doing ADSL2+ from VDSL2 DSLAMs yet(if ever). And if you dont reach 7Mb VDSL prequal you cant order it. That means up to 2-2.2km ish depending on cabling.

Isn't there a list of VDSL profiles and the distance beside from the cabinet them on some pdf file? I tried looking on Google but nothing.

Yeah, I know it isn't ADSL2+, I just meant an equivalent performance. Thank you for the 7Mb prequal info though. I wasn't aware of that and it probably precludes me from getting VDSL ever. Ironically, the closest cabinet to me is exactly 1km by road, but of course the cables from our road go back the other way to the exchange (it probably made sense forty or more years ago, but now it's a killer). :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Dero wrote: »
    Yeah, I know it isn't ADSL2+, I just meant an equivalent performance. Thank you for the 7Mb prequal info though. I wasn't aware of that and it probably precludes me from getting VDSL ever. Ironically, the closest cabinet to me is exactly 1km by road, but of course the cables from our road go back the other way to the exchange (it probably made sense forty or more years ago, but now it's a killer). :(

I'm about 3.2km from the Cutbush cabinet by road, 8th from Curragh Camp exchange.

So I guess the only hope for me is that at some stage Eircom will run something from the cabinets instead of the exchange?

I haven't heard anything about more cabinets. Can't see them doing Martinstown Cross as there isn't the population density of a metropolis like Cutbush or Brownstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

long_b wrote: »
    I'm about 3.2km from the Cutbush cabinet by road, 8th from Curragh Camp exchange.

So I guess the only hope for me is that at some stage Eircom will run something from the cabinets instead of the exchange?

I haven't heard anything about more cabinets. Can't see them doing Martinstown Cross as there isn't the population density of a metropolis like Cutbush or Brownstown.

Based on the cabinets-per-capita ratio in Brownstown, Eircom was predicting it would be the next Abu Dhabi.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    The end is in sight! I reckon yer Cab is the forst to be enabled too

I'm stuck in contract with Sky til next March unless of course they actually start rolling out Fibre before then.........is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

O'Prez wrote: »
    I'm stuck in contract with Sky til next March unless of course they actually start rolling out Fibre before then.........is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

muwahahahaha, my line comes up as available today at 100Meg. At long last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I see an eircom van at spring valley heights in Enniscorthy. It looked like fibre cable sprouting out of a cover in the footpath. Looking good for the Shannon side.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    muwahahahaha, my line comes up as available today at 100Meg. At long last!

Mine is 40. Bollox anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

O'Prez wrote: »
    Mine is 40. Bollox anyway.

I know I only checked it an hour ago. Most of yer area is 50-70 meg and all. 40 is better than 12meg though so....

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Im in an area which has been enabled for about a year, surrounding estates seem to have full coverage with a few houses on the edge of my estate able to get 30mb efibre. according to the map, all the local cabinets are enabled. what does this mean for me? im very central on the main road into the mainstreet. is it a case of waiting for them to commission more cabs?? have to skype family about 6 days a week in NY and Africa... download speeds are fine but upload speeds are shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You might be direct fed from the exchange. If so you need to be patient as they roll out VDSL for such lines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dunshaughlin exchange area has gone live, and as I expected being 1.8km from nearest cabinet I am now getting the dreaded 'eFibre is available in your area but your address is not yet enabled.' message through the Eircom website fiber checker.

Advertisement