Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭dam099

Near my parents house on the outskirts of Sligo town they first installed a fibre cabinet on it's own two months ago and have now added an older style cabinet. What does this mean, would they have been exchange fed and now being rewired to the cabinet or would they be relocating an out of the way cabinet (none was visible in the locality previously)? Its all one off housing around there but fairly clustered around a crossroads so possibly 50-60 houses within 1KM of the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dam099 wrote: »
    Near my parents house on the outskirts of Sligo town they first installed a fibre cabinet on it's own two months ago and have now added an older style cabinet. What does this mean, would they have been exchange fed and now being rewired to the cabinet or would they be relocating an out of the way cabinet (none was visible in the locality previously)? Its all one off housing around there but fairly clustered around a crossroads so possibly 50-60 houses within 1KM of the exchange.

They probably brought an underground cab/vault above ground. Similar situations in Rathmines in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Cork981

Was wondering if the reason INP is enabled on certain cabs but vectoring not yet being enabled allows for better vectoring results was once enabled.

INP 30.0 protects against impulse noises under 2 milliseconds caused by external noise bursts were as vectoring cancels out noise generated between lines.

By having INP enabled initially I believe that this gives a cleaner line for vectoring to manage.

Correct me if I'm wrong as in trying to understand VDSL2 technologies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I wonder when this is complete will Eircom start an FTTH rollout?

I'm sure with increased competition from ESB/Vodafone they'll see that FTTC won't cut it for long.

Edit: 2,900 posts! Yay! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I wonder when this is complete will Eircom start an FTTH rollout?

I'm sure with increased competition from ESB/Vodafone they'll see that FTTC won't cut it for long.

Edit: 2,900 posts! Yay! :)
    Dunno. There's a limit to how much data a human being can process. I'd say something else will come along to sweat the existing copper infrastructure even further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

A few exchanges in Kildare have just been given specific July dates on the wholesale map, just ordered there.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Why does Eircom's Fibre Rollout for Claregalway continue to slip.

This is getting almost comical now, it's like a carrot on a string, they keep putting the date out there and when it gets closer to the date, it moves again. At this stage I've lost track how many times they've moved the date for Claregalway, but late last year it was January-14, then it moved to April, then June and they had me with June, since their website still said June at the beginning of June, but now I just checked today and they now have it listed as September. I can't take it any longer.

Knowing Eircom's bumbling incompetence, I'm sure come September it will be pushed off again and again. It's very sad when we have to depend on a poxy group like Eircom!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

SeamusFX wrote: »

Knowing Eircom's bumbling incompetence, I'm sure come September it will be pushed off again and again. It's very sad when we have to depend on a poxy group like Eircom!

It's quite likely they are waiting for permission to lay the cabling/set cabs from the county council.

jd wrote: »
    It's quite likely they are waiting for permission to lay the cabling/set cabs from the county council.

I doubt that very much, since other areas in the same county that previously seemed to have had lower priorities seemed to have leap-froged us. My bet is other areas that should have had a lower priority have been pushed ahead since some TD made a call or something, after all, it's the Irish way isn't it?

Yep, eircom wholesale are scrabling to increase their market share and get fixed lines back active as much as possible. They arent turning away areas for the fun of it, they want your custom.

As above its probably an ESB or county council issue blocking them. Get onto your local councillors and ask them whats up.

EDIT: Posted at similar times, I doubt this is somebody pulling strings, wouldnt make that much difference.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, it either "pulling strings" or Eircom is just incompetent, pick one or maybe a combination of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Why does Eircom's Fibre Rollout for Claregalway continue to slip.

This is getting almost comical now, it's like a carrot on a string, they keep putting the date out there and when it gets closer to the date, it moves again. At this stage I've lost track how many times they've moved the date for Claregalway, but late last year it was January-14, then it moved to April, then June and they had me with June, since their website still said June at the beginning of June, but now I just checked today and they now have it listed as September. I can't take it any longer.

Knowing Eircom's bumbling incompetence, I'm sure come September it will be pushed off again and again. It's very sad when we have to depend on a
    poxy group like Eircom!

SeamusFX, exact same experience in Clonakilty. We have been bumped several times, very same dates as you in fact, and other places have jumped the queue. Expecting when they finally install locally, I will be told 'I am too close to the exchange' and they can't do anything until Commreg...bla...bla..bla....

Come on ESB and gives us some real competition

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm sorry, it either "pulling strings" or Eircom is just incompetent, pick one or maybe a combination of the two.

I see you decided to Talk to Eircom and you were given this explanation (non explanation).

Apologies for any inconvenience this is causing you however the dates are for indicative purposes only and a launch date cannot be promised or agreed.

There can be a number of unforeseen circumstances which can create delays - Unfortunately we cannot guarantee you that no further delays will occur nor will we be able to offer reasons for delays as this would involve detailing and discussing infrastructural detail which lies both beyond our reach and remains confidential to eircoms networking and operational divisions.

There is nothing there to tell you that there was any political interference to promote other areas ahead of yours. The only thing I can take from it is that there could be issues with other bodies such as local authority, ESB causing the delay and if that is the case then you can't blame it on Eircom incompetence either.

I see you decided to Talk to Eircom and you were given this explanation (non explanation).

Apologies for any inconvenience this is causing you however the dates are for indicative purposes only and a launch date cannot be promised or agreed.

There can be a number of unforeseen circumstances which can create delays - Unfortunately we cannot guarantee you that no further delays will occur nor will we be able to offer reasons for delays as this would involve detailing and discussing infrastructural detail which lies both beyond our reach and remains confidential to eircoms networking and operational divisions.

There is nothing there to tell you that there was any political interference to promote other areas ahead of yours. The only thing I can take from it is that there could be issues with other bodies such as local authority, ESB causing the delay and if that is the case then you can't blame it on Eircom incompetence either.

I'm sorry, your explanation is only valid assuming they are telling the truth. Well, they really aren't telling any lies, since they didn't tell me anything. They just gave me the typical set answer YMMV and we can't guarantee anything and we can't tell you anything as it's all top secret. Wouldn't it be great if we could all give those answers at work, while we don't do anything? It must be great to work at a semi-state body or even better yet a former state-owned monopolist that still has the monopolist status.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

I'm sorry, your explanation is only valid assuming they are telling the truth. Well, they really aren't telling any lies, since they didn't tell me anything. They just gave me the typical set answer YMMV and we can't guarantee anything and we can't tell you anything as it's all top secret. Wouldn't it be great if we could all give those answers at work, while we don't do anything? It must be great to work at a semi-state body or even better yet a former state-owned monopolist that still has the monopolist status.

There could be any number of reasons here
    1. The subduct route from the exchange could have encountered problems.
    If the existing duct had blockages then a licence would have to be got from
    the local county council but if the problems are on a N classified road then
    a licence has to be got from the NRA
    2. A proposed cabinet can take anything from 2 months to 9 months to
    get permission

3 If the cabinet is to be located on private property this could last anything
    up to 6 months

So lets say subduct works out ok ,there are 4 cabinets to be erected and one is complete and the other 3 have licence problems the exchange will not
    be commissioned until a later stage

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

dam099 wrote: »

Rosses Point side or Dromahair side?

From your description i would think the Hazelwood side.

In both circumstances one is located 4.5 km from exchange the other is close

to 3 km.

They are been situated to feed the direct fed lines from the old exchange
    in Sligo town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭dam099

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Rosses Point side or Dromahair side?

From your description i would think the Hazelwood side.

In both circumstances one is located 4.5 km from exchange the other is close

to 3 km.

They are been situated to feed the direct fed lines from the old exchange
    in Sligo town

Hazelwood side. So would they re-wire the old exchange fed line through the cabinet?

mobil 222 wrote: »
    There could be any number of reasons here
    1. The subduct route from the exchange could have encountered problems.
    If the existing duct had blockages then a licence would have to be got from
    the local county council but if the problems are on a N classified road then
    a licence has to be got from the NRA
    2. A proposed cabinet can take anything from 2 months to 9 months to
    get permission

3 If the cabinet is to be located on private property this could last anything
    up to 6 months

So lets say subduct works out ok ,there are 4 cabinets to be erected and one is complete and the other 3 have licence problems the exchange will not
    be commissioned until a later stage

Hi Mobil,

Thanks, yes all good possible reasons for delays, but none of these reasons should be Top Secret, why can't Eircom be a bit more transparent to customers.

Hi Mobil,

Thanks, yes all good possible reasons for delays, but none of these reasons should be Top Secret, why can't Eircom be a bit more transparent to customers.

Because the eircom you call aren't the eircom that knows. Eircom wholesale do the field work and don't give any of the line operators info like that. Its commissioned when its commissioned and that's it.

Maybe, but every project should be managed by someone and that's the one that is paying the bills - the Eircom that we know and they should communicate any schedule changes to the real people who are paying the bills, their customers. That's how it works in every other business operation in the world!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Maybe, but every project should be managed by someone and that's the one that is paying the bills - the Eircom that we know and they should communicate any schedule changes to the real people who are paying the bills, their customers. That's how it works in every other business operation in the world!!!!

You really won't let it go, will you? Go to the Eircom section it's getting boring at this stage, at least they get paid to listen to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ger Byrne 1

we can not even get proper phone lines so i will believe it when i see it

jca wrote: »
    You really won't let it go, will you? Go to the Eircom section it's getting boring at this stage, at least they get paid to listen to you.

Do you work for Eircom? I wonder, because how can you defend the undefendable! Yes, I'm mad and I'd like to get some answers and if not, maybe, just maybe try to shake something up. I have been to the Eircom section and just like everything else about Eircom, they are completely useless!!!!

Do you work for Eircom? I wonder, because how can you defend the undefendable! Yes, I'm mad and I'd like to get some answers and if not, maybe, just maybe try to shake something up. I have been to the Eircom section and just like everything else about Eircom, they are completely useless!!!!

No I don't work for bloody Eircom I'm just a bit fed up of your ranting tbh.

I made a couple of posts about several broken promises that have been going on for over 2 years, incredibly pathetic by a useless organisation. I think that gives me a right to rant. By comparison, you seeing a few extra posts by a rightfully angry customer is nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think Eircom are doing a really good job of the VDSL rollout. There's bound to be some problem cabinets.

I made a couple of posts about several broken promises that have been going on for over 2 years, incredibly pathetic by a useless organisation. I think that gives me a right to rant. By comparison, you seeing a few extra posts by a rightfully angry customer is nothing!

It's a pain in the nuts tbh. In fairness for an organisation that was on the verge of bankruptcy a few short years ago they've come a long long way.

It's a pain in the nuts tbh. In fairness for an organisation that was on the verge of bankruptcy a few short years ago they've come a long long way.

You must be joking!! Although they are no longer a state body, they still have a monopoly in many ways. So when you have control of the infrastructure for a high demand growing market, it's pretty hard to screw-up, although they are making a good attempt.

You must be joking!! Although they are no longer a state body, they still have a monopoly in many ways. So when you have control of the infrastructure for a high demand growing market, it's pretty hard to screw-up, although they are making a good attempt.

I'm delighted with my efibre:D.

• Advertisement

I'm delighted with my efibre:D.

Good for you!! Unfortunately that's typical of Eircom, good service for only a handful and screw the rest. Maybe someone from Eircom lives in your area.

Advertisement