Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

If an area is complete, why they don't launch it? That makes absolutely no sense. What is the goal of this rollout? If they want to keep existing customers, why they don't launch it ASAP? Are they completely idiots?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

iMuse wrote: »
    What a joke, Letterkenny is complete yet they won't launch the service.
    It's beyond a joke to be honest. We'll have Phase 50 and still be waiting. I keep getting fobbed off to check their "Fibre Update" link. A couple of thousand connections in Dublin and Wexford in their ""Pilot"", FFS. Typical contempt from the incumbent - you'll get it when we're good and ready to give it too you. I think I'll tell them to shove it if that upgrade call ever comes - and move back to Vodafone. What a shower of useless wa**ers.:mad::mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They have stopped selling the fibre products in the 'pilot' areas so you could be waiting 6 months if you order VDSL or fibre today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It says dundrum is live yet when I put my number in the line checker thing fibre doesn't come up? Does that mean that despite being on the dundrum exchange and my house being in the 'green area' I can't get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

AdamD wrote: »
    It says dundrum is live yet when I put my number in the line checker thing fibre doesn't come up? Does that mean that despite being on the dundrum exchange and my house being in the 'green area' I can't get it?

The new products won't be available to anyone until 2013 except for a few people who are on the pilot. That is what we are giving out about! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Praetorian wrote: »
    The new products won't be available to anyone until 2013 except for a few people who are on the pilot. That is what we are giving out about! :)
    Ah ok, thanks.

AdamD wrote: »
    It says dundrum is live ? Does that mean that despite being on the dundrum exchange and my house being in the 'green area' I can't get it?

Dundrum is withdrawn from sale until next year. You are not affected if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

They're probably trying to save money on their marketing campaign. If they roll out 3 phases over different time frames then they will have to fork out on maximum marketing penetration on 3 occasions. Where as if they make all 3 phases available at once then they can only have 1 marketing campaign rather than the 3.

Thats the only reason i can see anyway.

Its stupid. Eircom are COMPLETELY straped for cash and have debts as high as mountains. Launching this service would bring in cash and quite a bit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Hi I posted the original thread nearly a year ago at this stage does any one know if rush and lusk exchange is on any of the phases as I cannot see it

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Hi I posted the original thread nearly a year ago at this stage does any one know if rush and lusk exchange is on any of the phases as I cannot see it

If its not on the list above, then its not coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

are they not saying phase 3 will not be available to go live until easter 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭UTCGMT01

I'm delighted my exchange is on phase 3.

But

"when the network launches next year"

This is a complete joke. Eircom have been misleading everyone on this since Phase 1 was announced.

i had to register and comment when i saw this , wow why roll out equipment and leave it idle for months on end.?

i had a read of this thread, and recall someone saying March 2013 all right.
    there goes my hopes of fast surfing for the christmas holidays.

mobil 222 wrote: »
    are they not saying phase 3 will not be available to go live until easter 2013

Phase 3 will be completed by easter 2013 (at the very earliest, it is Eircom afterall.)

They say nothing about when the service is going to go live other than some time in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Hogzy wrote: »
    They say nothing about when the service is going to go live other than some time in 2013
    As it appears on the eircom site - " Herb Hribar, CEO eircom Group, said “eircom is actively working on phase three of our planned network investment. The first phase is now complete reaching 100,000 homes and we have already commenced work on Phase II locations. We will continue to build this network to ensure that as many premises as possible will be able to avail of the new services provided by various operators when the network is launched.”
    " Today’s announcement brings to 40 the number of locations announced to date. Approximately 350,000 premises will be able to avail of new services of 40Mbps and beyond when the network launches next year. "

I suspect what has happened is that they took off too early, saw that the Government were ready to put some money into fibre deployment and have decided to hold off till they get their paws on some of that.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

yeah easter is 31 march = 6 months from now but eircom said next year so could be any time. It must be a technical impossibility to turn on each location separately hence the big bang but it would make sense to do it piecemeal as glitches can be ironed out and remedied before the next phase. And I would say eircom want to grab as many customers as possible. Vf have done an awful lot of phoning to put people on 12 month contracts that are up in April 2013. However, the xmas period would have been ideal to steal customers but mid year people will just wait. Mind you we may never get it so lets hope it materialises eventually. I dont think eircom will get any extra money, it looks as if the prices are same for ordinary bb so you can see why they wont rush. Its like keeping an old banger, as long as it goes why change it.

gbc

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    yeah easter is 31 march = 6 months from now but eircom said next year so could be any time. It must be a technical impossibility to turn on each location separately hence the big bang but it would make sense to do it piecemeal as glitches can be ironed out and remedied before the next phase. And I would say eircom want to grab as many customers as possible. Vf have done an awful lot of phoning to put people on 12 month contracts that are up in April 2013. However, the xmas period would have been ideal to steal customers but mid year people will just wait. Mind you we may never get it so lets hope it materialises eventually. I dont think eircom will get any extra money, it looks as if the prices are same for ordinary bb so you can see why they wont rush. Its like keeping an old banger, as long as it goes why change it.

gbc

Prices may be the same but they will see a huge influx of customers move back to Eircom, Maybe not from UPC but definetly from Digiweb, Smart and Vodafone. Thats where the cash will be coming from.

I wonder if there is any talk going on with Sky about pairing their TV packages with Eircom. I know sky have announced that they teamed with BT enabled LLU's however Eircom would have a much larger cachement and have Fibre on the way.

Hvae there been any announcemnets as to whether Fibre will be Eircom exclusive or will all the resellers have access to it as soon as it becomes available?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

its says " continue to build this network to ensure that as many premises as possible will be able to avail of the new services provided by various operators when the network is launched."

so that means VF etc will have it. I dont really care now as long as it is eventually rolled out. It will put the knockers on sky as they will want a 12 month sign up so who will want to sign up to a pretty pp service when FIBRE is nearly here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

shame it's been pushed back, phase 1 & 2 were meant to be offered by November, but set backs with rolls outs in phase 1 & 2 areas, mainly with the re-direction of direct feed cables into cabs and planning permission issues holding stuff up so everything is supposed to be good to go when phase 3 is done as was mentioned (I know there'll be the usual yeah we heard that before, but notice how the time frame for phase 3 is longer than 1 & 2, well two for definite, equipment acquirement also help back some of phase 1)

re: VDSL2 being outdated, I'd agree there, but it's the d-side network and cab locations in some instances which will be it's downfall, it's all good in theory getting rid of e-side copper, but if you hav a d-side network thats be in slow decline over 20-30 years you're pissing against the wind ...

but what it is, is a stop gap, the VDSL2 service will be updated in the next year or two with this vectoring technology which will bring in speeds of 100 megs on FTTC ... cabs also have a 24 fibre feeding it (4 being used at the moment for Eircom, and 4 for each subsequent DSLAM) for future proofing with the idea of eventually going FTTH down the line or be able to offer it if the customer would like to pay for it

I know this will get the "too little too late" responses and UPC is the Holy Grail, but their technology isn't the be all and end all either and they have their own huge network problems, which is causing some horrific speed and contention issues in some areas which look like they aren't going to be sorted for another while, if ever ....

shame it's been pushed back, phase 1 & 2 were meant to be offered by November, but set backs with rolls outs in phase 1 & 2 areas, mainly with the re-direction of direct feed cables into cabs and planning permission issues holding stuff up so everything is supposed to be good to go when phase 3 is done as was mentioned (I know there'll be the usual yeah we heard that before, but notice how the time frame for phase 3 is longer than 1 & 2, well two for definite, equipment acquirement also help back some of phase 1)

re: VDSL2 being outdated, I'd agree there, but it's the d-side network and cab locations in some instances which will be it's downfall, it's all good in theory getting rid of e-side copper, but if you hav a d-side network thats be in slow decline over 20-30 years you're pissing against the wind ...

but what it is, is a stop gap, the VDSL2 service will be updated in the next year or two with this vectoring technology which will bring in speeds of 100 megs on FTTC ... cabs also have a 24 fibre feeding it (4 being used at the moment for Eircom, and 4 for each subsequent DSLAM) for future proofing with the idea of eventually going FTTH down the line or be able to offer it if the customer would like to pay for it

I know this will get the "too little too late" responses and UPC is the Holy Grail, but their technology isn't the be all and end all either and they have their own huge network problems, which is causing some horrific speed and contention issues in some areas which look like they aren't going to be sorted for another while, if ever ....

Vectoring sounds good in theory, but are the line cards that Eircom are using capable of the new protocol? What about the CPE that they are deploying?

Vectoring ( or DSM or DSM Level 3) is a cab side only technology. The cab supplier, Huawei, could implement Proprietary Vectoring solutions through a software patch next year I understand.

However Comreg may look at a non proprietary Vectoring solution such as Assias product which is designed to be fairer to ALL operators, sort of Unbundling on the Vector and Spectrum Management layer as it were.

Vectoring, after all, is much cheaper than fibre to the premises or basement The left scale shows ratios of costs.

Gold_Fig1_0410.jpg

Anyway Vectoring will be probably needed soonish if eircom wants to match top speeds from UPC (they may not) , probably sooner than we thought once UPC launched 150mbits. Bog standard VDSL2 will do 50mbits quite widely but wheezes at 100mbits and up.

See

http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1106396448324-11/ComtrendConnection-VDSL2-Slides-1+through+4.pdf

Historically telling them they cannot install proprietary tech is the kind of stuff that made eircom throw a hissy fit. They may have grown up a tad in recent years. An industry debate on Vectoring is some time off though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭irishgeo

its a shame its been put back as it looks like it was making its way to my estate. They just dug the road and ran a cable to a green box , the nearest green box to me is a few 100 meteres up the main road.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Anyway Vectoring will be probably needed soonish if eircom wants to match top speeds from UPC (they may not) , probably sooner than we thought once UPC launched 150mbits. Bog standard VDSL2 will do 50mbits quite widely but wheezes at 100mbits and up.

Yup and UPC's current modems are capable of doing 200mb/s. And that is on top of the fact that UPC TV service doesn't directly impact on the broadband speed. While if Eircom want to do TV (they will) it will have to be IPTV and will come out of the 50/100mb speed.

Their rollout is so far behind their peers in Europe you would think Eircom would be deploying vectoring now then rather than having to pay to upgrade it later. It is a proven technology.

Their rollout is so far behind their peers in Europe you would think Eircom would be deploying vectoring now then rather than having to pay to upgrade it later. It is a proven technology.

Theyre basically building a short term solution to a VERY long term problem. Im guessing theyre only trying to ride out the recession to wait for much better government funding to bring FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You had better wait, eircom have not announced Galway City centre at all.

You had better live west of the Corrib or east/north of a line from the Quincentennial to Moneenageisha....and also not in Knocknacarra.... if you want VDSL by early 2013.
    Dang, I heard some unconfirmed rumour that Knocknacarra will be getting fibre speeds.
    But it's not mentioned here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Sorry, can anyone link a photo of these cabinets?

biko wrote: »
    Dang, I heard some unconfirmed rumour that Knocknacarra will be getting fibre speeds.
    But it's not mentioned here

East Knocknatallaght and South Knocknatallaght will. North and West won't as they are on the Ballymoneen Exchange not Shantalla

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

Sorry, can anyone link a photo of these cabinets?

See post #597. In Ballincollig we have the same VDSL cabs everywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 jackwogan

Is there much difference when you can get proper uncontended 20mb and 50mb,100mb and 200mb.

• Advertisement

@jackwogan

50/100/200 mbit down are all fast enough for now for the majority of people.

Arguably, the upload rate is more important. I would prefer 50 mbit down and 20 mbit up, than 100 mbit down and 10 mbit up.

Advertisement