Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone know if there's an alternate style of VDSL cab coming/in use? I know what the copper, huawei and alcatel ones look like, but Ive spotted some smaller, squater, smooth green new ones. One is currently an empty shell, another has a grey lock unit built into the front. Its located beside BLB1_059 and the accompanying copper cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Where Eircom have added a new cabinet where there was none before as part of this upgrade, how do they decide who will be connected to it ?

long_b wrote: »
    Where Eircom have added a new cabinet where there was none before as part of this upgrade, how do they decide who will be connected to it ?

It'd be fed by a 200 pair cable that was already in a duct below. So whoever runs on that cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

ED E wrote: »
    It'd be fed by a 200 pair cable that was already in a duct below. So whoever runs on that cable.

Thanks
    **crosses fingers and eyes**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Got bumped up to 70MB happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

dam099 wrote: »
    Hazelwood side. So would they re-wire the old exchange fed line through the cabinet?

Yes but i think there will be delays due to broken duct at a few places along section from old manor rd out to the cab

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

look at the proposed exchanges that are down for upgrade next year.
    A fair precentage of these would be lucky to have one copper cabinet in situ at the moment.
    So to be honest i can see a 'wireless solution' to these type of exchanges
    Most of if not all exchanges that have started will be the last ones completed under the present technology
    These are my views and are probally way off the mark
    One last thing the proposal from another provider yesterday is what eircom has been waiting for and this will help mostly
    the people who are beyond the 1km distance from their existing cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Some of the Eircom heads might know this one......

Is the orange sub-duct being installed as part of the VDSL roll-out used exclusively for that or is it used generally in other parts of the Eircom network?

Reason for asking is this........

313324.jpg

....down an eircom roadside chamber close to a rural exchange in Co. Roscommon.
    Looks like a very new addition.

I've also seen KN Networks installing sub-duct in Kilreekil, Co. Galway as well.

Are they cracking on with the next phase of the roll-out?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Generally speaking that orange sub-duct is for the FTTC cabs.

Though of course that fibre can also be used for other things, generally speaking every other FTTC install I've seen so far has also gone along with the installation of this orange sub-duct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

bk wrote: »
    Generally speaking that orange sub-duct is for the FTTC cabs.

Though of course that fibre can also be used for other things, generally speaking every other FTTC install I've seen so far has also gone along with the installation of this orange sub-duct.

I've never come across that type of sub-duct before the FTTC roll-out began.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

efb wrote: »
    Got bumped up to 70MB happy

Does the eircom line checker say 70meg for your address or is it still at 50meg or whatever your profile speed was?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I've seen the orange sub duct been used in Greystones and the smaller ones go inside it. Then the fibre cables are fed into those.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Not sure if this has been posted, but eircom wholesale have a (new?) site specific to the NGA roll-out
    http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

jd wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted, but eircom wholesale have a (new?) site specific to the NGA roll-out
    http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

How do the places not connected to to main network grid get their connection? For example Kilrush in County Clare and Clifden in County Galway

ElNino wrote: »
    How do the places not connected to to main network grid get their connection? For example Kilrush in County Clare and Clifden in County Galway

Radio for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Does the eircom line checker say 70meg for your address or is it still at 50meg or whatever your profile speed was?

Dunno I'm with Vodafone they couldn't bump me to 100 but put me to 7
    66.2 when I did the speed rest from iPhone :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I see Monasterevin has some cabs listed as live on the 16th and others 21st, does this mean ill only get fibre when the cab nearest me goes live? ie the 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Dcully wrote: »
    I see Monasterevin has some cabs listed as live on the 16th and others 21st, does this mean ill only get fibre when the cab nearest me goes live? ie the 21st

If you're connected to that cabinet, then, yes. You must order it, though.

If you're connected to that cabinet, then, yes. You must order it, though.

Yeah ill have to order ofcourse, im just wondering when ill get the green light to order.
    Im not sure what cab im connecting to either,ill have to wait a bit longer to see what happens.

Yeah ill have to order ofcourse, im just wondering when ill get the green light to order.
    Im not sure what cab im connecting to either,ill have to wait a bit longer to see what happens.

What happens when you check availability on this page? https://www.eircom.net/broadband/productDetails?id=bu_23

• Advertisement

What happens when you check availability on this page? https://www.eircom.net/broadband/productDetails?id=bu_23

Says im in a fibre enabled area :eek:

Apparently i can order now? as an order page popped up.
    If i proceed should i use the online order method or ring to order?
    Wondering if either might prove faster.

Says im in a fibre enabled area :eek:

Apparently i can order now? as an order page popped up.
    If i proceed should i use the online order method or ring to order?
    Wondering if either might prove faster.

I got that too on the 10th of June, then they rang 2 days later and said it isn't live yet. A month later, I'm still waiting. My local cabinet recently says live for the 9th.

Just ring up first thing on the 16th and see if it's available to you.

I think im out of contract with eircom, any way i can check this online?
    Im guessing i may need to ring them to find out , man i hate ringing eircom for anything.
    Might go with vodafone, eircom lost my brothers order a few months ago and couldnt sort him out, he rang vodafone and they installed fibre 3 days later.

I think im out of contract with eircom, any way i can check this online?
    Im guessing i may need to ring them to find out , man i hate ringing eircom for anything.
    Might go with vodafone, eircom lost my brothers order a few months ago and couldnt sort him out, he rang vodafone and they installed fibre 3 days later.

IM them on the website.

ED E wrote: »
    IM them on the website.

Cheers, seems im correct and am out of contract.

Im guessing vodafone is my only alternative.

Their order page confirms up to 100 mb is available to me,strange how they say this yet cabs arent lvie yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Eircom also allowed my mother to order well before the cab was actually live according to the wholesale site. It took about a month after the order for them to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

murphaph wrote: »
    Eircom also allowed my mother to order well before the cab was actually live according to the wholesale site. It took about a month after the order for them to install.

I got an email about 3 days after ordering telling me it would be another month, and that they'd call me then about an install appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Cheers, seems im correct and am out of contract.

Im guessing vodafone is my only alternative.

Their order page confirms up to 100 mb is available to me,strange how they say this yet cabs arent lvie yet.

Eircom wholesale give the retail isps 28 days notice of when the cab will be ready to accept orders. So no order can yet be raised on the eircom wholesale systems, though it may be in the retail operator's systems. BTW you can check what speed your line will get on the eircom order page - click on - "Discover the maximum speed you will experience in your home"

murphaph wrote: »
    I got an email about 3 days after ordering telling me it would be another month, and that they'd call me then about an install appointment.

Exactly my experience, too.

Did they ring you or did yous ring them back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Exactly my experience, too.

Did they ring you or did yous ring them back?
    I think they emailed initially to say they'd be in touch and then they rang about a week before the installation date.

Advertisement