Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

The email:

Dear [customer]

Thank you for your recent eFibre broadband order. We want to confirm that eFibre will not be in your area until 30/07/2014. Once your area is live, we will contact you to process your order and organise an installation date that suits you.

Thank you,
    eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Thetruthking

Castlebellingham co louth now pushed back, was July now September,,, why do they keep pushing it back

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Could be any number of reasons. Most of them beyond Eircom's control. ESB etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Alcatel-Lucent sets new world record broadband speed of 10 Gbps for transmission of data over traditional copper telephone lines

Bell Labs prototype technology also demonstrates potential for 1 Gbps symmetrical services, paving the way for fiber-speed services where fiber cannot be deployed all the way to the premises.

Continue Reading...

Interesting but the 10Gbps is only achievable under 30 metres from the cabinet and the 700Mbs is limited to just 100 metres from the cabinet so
    paving the way for fiber-speed services
    is a bit of a stretch from their marketing team to say the least (I can imagine the Bell Labs engineers cringing when they read the press release!).

Copper will never match fibre. They will hopefully be able to keep sweating the copper with newer and newer technologies but ultimately the world will replace copper last miles with fibre. Still, though, in our lifetimes that's not going to happen and these innovative new VDSL technologies are pretty cool considering what copper could do just a decade ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

Castlebellingham co louth now pushed back, was July now September,,, why do they keep pushing it back

That's actually been brought forward. Was saying October for the last few weeks. Hopefully it is September ...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Thats an improvement was October last time I checked, Castlebellingham has 5 cabs in total only 3 done so far. Dromiskin has 2 cabs and none down so far its all the one exchange.
    KN networks are busy in ardee at the moment. Blackrock has dropped off the map completely

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Manc Red wrote: »
    Alcatel-Lucent sets new world record broadband speed of 10 Gbps for transmission of data over traditional copper telephone lines

As pointed out this is only over incredibly short distances.

This isn't really a copper technology, it really is just an implementation detail for FTTH/FTTx

G.Fast needs Fibre To The Distribution Point (FTTDp) to work. This is basically fibre to the pole or duct just outside your home. It then just uses copper over the last few meters to get into your home.

The advantage is that you don't need to dig up someones footpath/garden to run a new fibre into their home.

However there is very little cost savings over pure FTTH, they predict a maximum 20% cost savings to no cost saving depending on install to install.

So instead expect this technology to be used in conjunction with pure FTTH. Depending on the difficulty of the install they might use it or pure FTTH instead.

This isn't some cheap breakthrough like VDSL is.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ger Byrne 1

south Wicklow is always left out by Eircom

south Wicklow is always left out by Eircom
    There are several exchanges in south Wicklow planned to receive VDSL within the next year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

The map seems to have taken a big leap over the past few days with nearly all areas at the 40% mark now at least. And October being the latest they are finished getting the last areas live.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Nolars wrote: »

The map seems to have taken a big leap over the past few days with nearly all areas at the 40% mark now at least. And October being the latest they are finished getting the last areas live.

That map says its available here in Monasterevin as does the online ordering site but when you look at this map

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

It says cabs are not live until the 16th and 21st and some have a work commenced status.
    Hard to know what is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Dcully wrote: »
    That map says its available here in Monasterevin as does the online ordering site but when you look at this map

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

It says cabs are not live until the 16th and 21st and some have a work commenced status.
    Hard to know what is accurate.

There is a 28 day notice given before eircom wholesale systems will accept orders for new cabinets from retails ISPs. fibrerollout.ie is an eircom wholesale site. I'd guess retails isps are accepting pre-orders - but wholesale systems wouldn't accept orders for the new cabinet before the launch date.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

SeamusFX wrote: »
    Why does Eircom's Fibre Rollout for Claregalway continue to slip.

This is getting almost comical now, it's like a carrot on a string, they keep putting the date out there and when it gets closer to the date, it moves again. At this stage I've lost track how many times they've moved the date for Claregalway, but late last year it was January-14, then it moved to April, then June and they had me with June, since their website still said June at the beginning of June, but now I just checked today and they now have it listed as September. I can't take it any longer.

Knowing Eircom's bumbling incompetence, I'm sure come September it will be pushed off again and again. It's very sad when we have to depend on a poxy group like Eircom!

So Eircom has moved the carrot again. I just checked the map and they've moved it YET again and now it's October.

So Eircom has moved the carrot again. I just checked the map and they've moved it YET again and now it's October.
    You know how many people out there wish there even was a carrot to be moved? Sorry but you should be happy that your area is getting VDSL in the first place. I wonder would Eircom cop less flak on here if they had no information whatsoever about the rollout (like it is here in Germany)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

murphaph wrote: »
    You know how many people out there wish there even was a carrot to be moved? Sorry but you should be happy that your area is getting VDSL in the first place. I wonder would Eircom cop less flak on here if they had no information whatsoever about the rollout (like it is here in Germany)

What good is a carrot, if you can never eat it? It would be one thing if they moved the carrot once, but they've moved it so many times now, it's just a joke!!!!

What good is a carrot, if you can never eat it? It would be one thing if they moved the carrot once, but they've moved it so many times now, it's just a joke!!!!
    You'll be eating your VDSL by the end of the year Seamus :)

It's simply a huge task. Some troublesome cabinets were and are to be expected. Eircom have their own dependencies as well. It's far from completely in their hands (ESB, local authorities, planning etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

says the Crumlin area is enabled but on the fibrerollout map only 1 cab is live

crumlin area covers drimnagh and walkinstown , so out of the 80 or so cabs only 1 is live and they put the whole thing live?

is this fibrerollout map accurate? ive been waiting since november to get the thing installed
    it says due on the 23rd (last week it said the 28th) so thats a good sign, but After been let down so many months by them keep pushing it back, I can't help but feel I won't get it until next year

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭_John C

eFibre map seems messed up.

Carrick-On-Suir (between Clonmel and Waterford) has disappeared from the eFibre map:

Strange as Carrick is/was set for August and theres actually 5 cabs physically installed and is still included in this map :
    http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Fibre was ready to order in my area (Roscrea) today.

Ordered it at 09.40 and got a text at 10 to say they were connecting it Monday :) SUCCESS!!! 100Meg is available too- looking forward to not constantly seeing the buffering symbol on screen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Fibre was ready to order in my area (Roscrea) today.

Ordered it at 09.40 and got a text at 10 to say they were connecting it Monday :) SUCCESS!!! 100Meg is available too- looking forward to not constantly seeing the buffering symbol on screen

The cab closest to me is going live today apparently, when should i order and whats the fastest method to get things processed, order online or over the phone?

The cab closest to me is going live today apparently, when should i order and whats the fastest method to get things processed, order online or over the phone?

Who's your provider at the minute? You'd want to put in the order asap as all operators are able to put them through today for the first time so they're be a fair few orders going on the system, I'm with Vodafone....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Our cab is still on the map as going live on the 16th of this month. Yes, I am aware that the date is in the past :pac:

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Our cab is still on the map as going live on the 16th of this month. Yes, I am aware that the date is in the past :pac:

Does the number prequal for Fibre on the eircom site when you put in your landline number?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Order over the phone. Do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Does the number prequal for Fibre on the eircom site when you put in your landline number?

Yep, but it has done since June and it wasn't live then either.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Yep, but it has done since June and it wasn't live then either.

The Eircom system wont tell you online when its available to order for you but the Vodafone one does ;) Even ring eircom and they will tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Still waiting over a year past going live in castlebar :( . Anyone know when they are going to put in something for people connected to the exchange ?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    Still waiting over a year past going live in castlebar :( . Anyone know when they are going to put in something for people connected to the exchange ?

same in Carrigaline, all the cabs here are enabled but my estate is a blackspot it seems. any hope?:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Any plans by eircom to increase their rollout when the current crop of towns has been done? I see now that every exchange planned for Nov 14-Jan 15 has been brought forward, so their current rollout will be completed over the next 3 months

Advertisement