Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

ED E wrote: »
    Those 200K are most likely the direct fed lines being added to the lists.

I'd like if this were true. TBH, I am not holding my breath, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Wow. Didn't expect Eircom to respond so quickly to ESB/Vodafone but that's great news. Really terrific stuff.

gerryk wrote: »
    Many exchanges have now got planned cabinets-you can see them on the map, so it is happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

ahh yes but it is still distance limited. I live approx 2.5 miles from my xchange with approx 30 house. According to the coverage maps I live in the fibre enabled area but when I contact Eircom I am told I cannot get fibre.

I ever sent them a petition from the 30 houses expressing interest.

Our 30 houses count as part of the 1.6 million homes covered but we can;t get fibre.

I would think this is not an uncommon situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

bk wrote: »
    That is brilliant, isn't competition great :)

However the FTTH bit still seems a bit woolly:

Might be prudent on Eircom's part to see how the ESBT/Vodafone project pans out first. (Still no word on the EU submission!!!) A little piggy back could go a long way.

The FTTH spiel appears ominous - "Up to 1Gbps fibre to the home planned as customer demand emerges". We've emerged and we demand it.

Perhaps a truly competitive environment is beginning to take shape. And as they say you can't get enough of a good thing. If they want a volunteer for testing purposes I'm willing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

gerryk wrote: »

Well so far they have delivered on all their FTTC promises, so I don't see why it shouldn't.

There is also a lot of other evidence that EVDSL will be here very soon.
    murphaph wrote: »
    Wow. Didn't expect Eircom to respond so quickly to ESB/Vodafone but that's great news. Really terrific stuff.

To be honest, the FTTH stuff is a lot more wishy washy then the ESB. The ESB have a very definite roll out plan and are just waiting for the go ahead from the EU.

Eircom have no real rollout plan that I can see for FTTH yet. Just a promise that they will do FTTH when demand arises. There really doesn't seem to be any actual change here to Eircoms FTTH plans yet.
    amen wrote: »
    Our 30 houses count as part of the 1.6 million homes covered but we can;t get fibre.

No it doesn't, the figures Eircom quotes, such as 900,000 premises connected as of today (or 1.6 million by 2016), is the number of lines actually profiled and capable of getting eFibre (minimum 7mb/s).

Your exchange area being enabled for eFibre doesn't mean you get counted in these figures.

This is actually a sign of a significant change in management culture at Eircom. You are correct in the past old Eircom would certainly have cheated in this way, but the new Eircom management seems to be far more transparent.

Long may it last.

amen wrote: »
    Our 30 houses count as part of the 1.6 million homes covered
    No they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Will eircom just use the esb/vodafone fibre network when it rolls out? It is going to be an open source network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Any word on where the 200k premises will be? I take it they wont be doing any of the villages in the government plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

jca wrote: »
    Will eircom just use the esb/vodafone fibre network when it rolls out? It is going to be an open source network.

The esb/vod network won't cover Dublin, and I presume eircom would look at competing with UPC there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nolars wrote: »
    Any word on where the 200k premises will be? I take it they wont be doing any of the villages in the government plan?

If it is what we think it is it'll be in the areas directly around exchanges in currently enabled/planned fibre areas. No sign of new exchanges and theres 200k in direct fed lines in existing areas I suspect.

For those not in "eFibre" areas right now this doesnt help directly, but acceleration might long term. For those close to exchanges in fibre areas its great news, and for those direct fed and over 2km there is no change, you're still stuck on ADSL2+.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

...and over 2km there is no change, you're still stuck on ADSL2+.

or ADSL1...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

I'm on an exchange that has asdl 1, I am on advance unlimited (light) never heard of that until I tried to get put on to asdl2. Was told to contact sales to get switched over they said it couldn't be done:( at least the fibre cabinet is in now just waiting for it to go live :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Just checked the map and my exchange is due to be upgraded between Jan-Mar 2015. Last time I checked it was going to be end of 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

marno21 wrote: »
    My exchange is down here ( http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ ) as planned with no date (Ballydesmond), I live 50m from the exchange, when can my exchange and similar sized exchanges (with no planned date) expect fibre services?

Still no ADSL here 7 years after it was promised

Eircom seems to be focusing on upgrading exchanges that already had fast speeds (24mb) and forgetting about the rest.

I was able to get 3mb dsl in 2005, since then I have been downgraded to 2mb. I have very little hope for getting fibre any time this century.

I suspect you'll get FTTH sometime this century

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

spix wrote: »
    Eircom seems to be focusing on upgrading exchanges that already had fast speeds (24mb) and forgetting about the rest.

Not true, Eircom have already enabled a number of areas that previously had only ADSL1

Obviously they were going to do 24mb/s exchanges first as they tend to have more customers attached to them and secondly because they are more likely to already be fibre connected, thus easier to install.

Not true, Eircom have already enabled a number of areas that previously had only ADSL1

Obviously they were going to do 24mb/s exchanges first as they tend to have more customers attached to them and secondly because they are more likely to already be fibre connected, thus easier to install.

Perhaps that's true but considering I'm currently stuck with worse broadband than I had 9 years ago I doubt it's happened much. Doesn't give me much hope even though my exchange is now on their fibre plan here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

Looks to me like they're throwing every exchange on this map for the sake of it similar to the poster above being told he'd get adsl 7 years ago.

Just because in your single case and other isolated cases there are problems does not really mean much. The rollout has benefited the vast majority. I have to wonder at a person who castigates the whole thing just because they haven't personally benefited. It's akin to a healthy person saying cancer research is a waste of time.

Looks to me like they're throwing every exchange on this map for the sake of it similar to the poster above being told he'd get adsl 7 years ago.

The are roughly 2 million premises in Ireland. 800,000 of those premises are in rural Ireland. Eircom will be now connecting 1.6 million premises. So that means they will be enabling half or 400,000 of the rural homes.

That it a very significant number of rural homes, far more then any of us imagined our hoped.

Now maybe your home is in the half that will get eFibre or maybe it is in the 20% of Irish homes that will be left with no eFibre. If you say your exchange is on the list to be enabled and you are within 2km of the exchange or a planned cabinet, then I'd say it is VERY likely you will get eFibre.

If not then you need to hope for a future phase will reach you or that you will be reached as part of the National Broadband Plan. I understand your frustration, but things are far from gloomy.

One thin I wonder, if Eircom enable an ADSL1 only exchange with EVDSL, will they move all customers to EVDSL, even those beyond 2km? Beyond 2km VDSL only delivers ADSL2+ like speeds, but even that would be a nice upgrade for people from ADSL1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The are roughly 2 million premises in Ireland. 800,000 of those premises are in rural Ireland. Eircom will be now connecting 1.6 million premises. So that means they will be enabling half or 400,000 of the rural homes.

That it a very significant number of rural homes, far more then any of us imagined our hoped.

Now maybe your home is in the half that will get eFibre or maybe it is in the 20% of Irish homes that will be left with no eFibre. If you say your exchange is on the list to be enabled and you are within 2km of the exchange or a planned cabinet, then I'd say it is VERY likely you will get eFibre.

If not then you need to hope for a future phase will reach you or that you will be reached as part of the National Broadband Plan. I understand your frustration, but things are far from gloomy.

One thin I wonder, if Eircom enable an ADSL1 only exchange with EVDSL, will they move all customers to EVDSL, even those beyond 2km? Beyond 2km VDSL only delivers ADSL2+ like speeds, but even that would be a nice upgrade for people from ADSL1.

Would I benefit in any way with EVDSL direct line is almost 3km line length to exchange, currently syncing at
    Downstream Upstream
    Data rate(Kbps)
    9299Kb 670Kb

Noise Margin
    5 19

Output power(dBm)
    121 184

Attenuation(dB)
    48 19.

Could I see an improvement, even just 12meg would be a nice improvement?

Just because in your single case and other isolated cases there are problems does not really mean much. The rollout has benefited the vast majority. I have to wonder at a person who castigates the whole thing just because they haven't personally benefited. It's akin to a healthy person saying cancer research is a waste of time.

They're far from isolated cases but I know what you're saying (not the cancer part, that's stupid)

Still, I don't live in the middle of nowhere. In this day and age its unbelievable how terrible the broadband is in parts of this country. It's easy to think otherwise when you're one of the ones getting the upgrades. Even worse, I pay more for this 2mb than most pay for their fibre. 50 euro a month with phone and that's including 'discounts'

And there are people paying more than you for even worse BB who would kill for any sort of fixed line stable connection over crappy 3G. I'm not aware of any country in the world that charges based on actual attained speed either...it's always "up to x". I hope your BB improves, I really do, i hope everyone can one day receive what they want/need, but on the whole this rollout has been extremely impressive and continues to impress.

I'm not aware of any country in the world that charges based on actual attained speed either...it's always "up to x". I hope your BB improves, I

That's not always the case. When I was looking for a faster service recently I recall coming across a provider that charged more because my exchange was not next gen enabled. Can't remember who it was but when I added 'up to 24mb' to my basket on their site, they asked me to enter my line number. Afterwards it said my line only supported up to x amount instead and the price went up.

That's not always the case. When I was looking for a faster service recently I recall coming across a provider that charged more because my exchange was not next gen enabled. Can't remember who it was but when I added 'up to 24mb' to my basket on their site, they asked me to enter my line number. Afterwards it said my line only supported up to x amount instead and the price went up.

You're on a legacy exchange with limited backhaul. Such exchanges are more prone to issues and are sometimes remote, leading to higher service costs. Thus eircom wholesale charge more for bitstream products and thus the retail isps have to charge more.

Think what he was getting at though was that there are people paying more for 1mb fixed wireless than you are for 2mb fixed line. Price and speed arent related, its more price and infrastructure costs, and again that's not fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Mahon area, Cork, supposedly live, I'm "TV Only" ?

Was promised eFibre by end August 2013, has not happened.

Last month, Vodafone said second week of August, but they never said what year.

Amy Mahon readers get the eFibre? Over 4,000 homes apparently enabled.

You're on a legacy exchange with limited backhaul. Such exchanges are more prone to issues and are sometimes remote, leading to higher service costs. Thus eircom wholesale charge more for bitstream products and thus the retail isps have to charge more.

Think what he was getting at though was that there are people paying more for 1mb fixed wireless than you are for 2mb fixed line. Price and speed arent related, its more price and infrastructure costs, and again that's not fixed.

What annoys me the most is that my speeds are worse now than they were in 2005 even with all these nationwide broadband improvements over the years (Pretty sure I actually had 4mb at one point). Now in 2014 I can get a max of 2mb.

If I had to guess it's because there's been some housing projects in the area and eircom have had to cut everyones speed to cope with the additional load. My question is when are they going to bother to upgrade this legacy exchange that's prone to problems instead of giving everyone worse service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

it's more to do with the infrastructure costs. To upgrade to NGA, it has to have a fibre backhaul. Some of the exchanges I was in down the country have DSL on a radio backhaul, and the nearest NGN fibre route is 20-30 Km away.

With the way some places were expanding it was just as you said above, new estates taking speed from existing customers. Or contention issues which you would get callouts for because of the red internet light, whereas sync was just fine to the DSLAM. It was an issue on the backhaul.

Anywhere not on NGN at this point is radio based. At best those links are 400Mbs or so iirc, often less. That's for a full exchange. But as above the alternative is a long fibre link with a lot of labour, but they don't make any more money, so its never gonna be high on their priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

Problem is that they are required to charge same money for same service across Ireland. If in some location they would be able to sell eFibre for 100-200E per month they would have more incentive to work on infrastructure in remote areas.

Advertisement